EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Goal Variety

TTAnthonyYT
99 posts Member
edited December 2019
I know I post a lot, but there's a lot that I have to say.

There is a SUPREME lack of goal variety from the AI standpoint in NHL 20. Humans may sometimes try to do other things but will often be forced to do the same things the AI does.

Goal #1 - The Pass to the guy rushing across the crease

There will typically be a play where a defenseman holds the puck at the point. Instead of shooting, he passes it to a forward that's crossing the crease, who buries it 95% of the time. Someone show me an example of this happening in real life, please. I think this is just the result of defensive failures.

Goal #2 - The Cross Crease

Goal #3 - The Own Rebound

I had to look this up to see how often this happens in games in real life. It doesn't. In this game, 25% of AI goals are scored by them picking up their rebound lightning-fast and putting it into the net. Goalies also STILL don't react quick enough to cover the puck.

Example:

Goal #4 - One Timer

Enough said.

Am I wrong about this?
Post edited by TTAnthonyYT on

Replies

• GOAL #5 - Skater skates from the corner across the crease full-speed and tucks it far-side. Your GOAL #1 is a variation of this too.
  • I know I post a lot, but there's a lot that I have to say.

There is a SUPREME lack of goal variety from the AI standpoint in NHL 20. Humans may sometimes try to do other things but will often be forced to do the same things the AI does.

Goal #1 - The Pass to the guy rushing across the crease

There will typically be a play where a defenseman holds the puck at the point. Instead of shooting, he passes it to a forward that's crossing the crease, who buries it 95% of the time. Someone show me an example of this happening in real life, please. I think this is just the result of defensive failures.

Goal #2 - The Cross Crease

Goal #3 - The Own Rebound

I had to look this up to see how often this happens in games in real life. It doesn't. In this game, 25% of AI goals are scored by them picking up their rebound lightning-fast and putting it into the net. Goalies also STILL don't react quick enough to cover the puck.

Goal #4 - One Timer

Enough said.

Am I wrong about this?

You are not wrong ,but if the goalies were better ,like they once were for a bit in 19, the elite would complain that it's to hard to score
  • Other things I'd like to note in this thread instead of starting a new one because I have three threads currently on the first page.

[1] - Getting locked into one timer animations even when the pass isn't going to connect. Seen here:

[2] - Sticks going through the boards, as well as goalie equipment. The latter is a bigger problem as it allows for goals that are unrealistic. You can't take a slap shot from right in front of the goalie because you do not have the room. In this game, your stick will clip right through the goalie.

[3] - The animations in this game are INCREDIBLY awkward. Such as twitching players after play stops, snapping to a different angle for a one timer in under half a second, goaltender animations (ALL OF THEM, except for the new covers), snapping into an injured player animation in a split second three seconds after a collision. The goaltender note is especially seen in cross-crease plays. The goaltender will slide across to meet the other player and will just SNAP into a spread-eagle position in no time at all. These goaltenders appear to not know a shot is coming until the shot is actually fired.

[4] - AI awareness is just incredibly low. Attempting passes to covered players, blowing wide open shooting lanes, skating into the boards, skating into opposing players, faulty defensive coverage, etc.

[5] - Goaltender awareness for cross-crease plays is just awful. Just had one where the goalie save animation was directed in the opposite side of the net in which the shot was aimed.

• TTAnthonyYT
    99 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Accidental post.
  • Rush past the goalie left to right wrist shot goal.
  • Yup. Only very fews to score because:

1) AI is horrendous - When you have the puck, players don't find ways to get open. They're not even programmed to get open like in real life. In real life, players open up their blades as a target for a pass, shot, or redirect. They do none of these, they skate around aimlessly and a canned animation reacts to the pass. How nice would it be for user or ai players to crash the net with their sticks down or wound up or in an open position to realistically react to a pass?

As a BAP player, it's completely unplayable. AI constantly turns the puck over. If you don't have the puck trying to deke through everyone, your teammates will eventually lose it. There's no going to the net for rebounds and tips. Even worse, they rarely pass to you when you do get in scoring position. 90% of the time you have to call for the pass and, if you're lucky, you'll get it before you skate out of position or a defensemen picks you up.

And for all modes, defensive AI is annoying and super unrealistic. Show me a real life hockey game where 2 defensive players chase after the puck carrier like heat-seeking missiles. All you have to do is escape them at the corner of the blue line and you have a clear lane to the net. Or you can shake them off at the half boards and take it to net yourself. Not much room for creativity.

2) Pass Interceptions - Please tell me you've noticed how insane pass interception are this year? They're way too overpowered. Players completely facing the other way picking off passes they have no business stopping. And to top it all off, the puck sticks to their stick. Idiots will say this is to "cut down cross crease goals". But so what? You completely discourage passing and teamwork in this game. There is no excuse for not being able to make a pass I'd attempt 100% of the time in real life. Again, not much room for creativity when heads-up, nifty, sneaky, high risk, or effective passes are almost completely taken out of the game, all for the sake of "eliminating cross crease".

3) Goalies - The age old complaint that goalies in this game will stop 100% of shots that tend to go in from time to time. Plus, the "quicker than lightning" goalie poke check. Not much room for creativity when you already know something won't work, regardless if it does in real life.

4) Unrealistic Hitting - I remember back when 'nudges from behind' were a huge issue and a few years back, they were finally corrected. No more were you completely in the open and quick nudge from behind would completely disrupt your scoring chance. Welp, they're back and they're better than ever, especially with the warping AI quick to glue themselves to your back when you get in behind them. Now, there's a huge amount of shots not even getting off. Not much room for creativity when it's just you and the goalie...and the defensemen draped all over you.

5) Tie-ups in front of the net - Kind of going back to my first point, Tie-ups happen way too far outside of the crease, disrupting flow and making the offensive zone more a of a clunky disaster area. And AI teammates are easily sucked into this as opposed to fighting for inside position. If they're tied-up, they're useless until they spin off. Idk, if any of you tried this but hold the puck behind the net (Gretzky's office) and see what your teammates do? Nothing! They get sucked in and out of the defensemen and they don't make any attempt to circle into a shooting position or crash the net. Forget getting to rebounds in the high slot too. You're either getting tied up or blasted into tomorrow from a defender with a whole foot to charge his hit. Not much room for creativity when there's no room to be creative.

I hope you see my point here. The reason for lack of goal variety is the lack of creative freedom given from a development standpoint. Bad AI and unfinished defensive mechanics turn offense into a chore instead of a creative or collaborative effort to put the puck into the net. I hope one day, we'll get something that rewards constantly trying new things. And by that, I don't mean trying to pull off some lame, new between the legs trick shot, that used to be in NHL 06.