EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Please guys stop backing out in drop in

Prev1
Marc110_98
443 posts Member
edited December 2019
The game has low amount of players you can't have 6 vs 6.

It's taking me hour to play one game.

4v4 everyone leaves
5v5 everyone leaves.

Customizeion error

1st goal goes in pause half team leaves. Why wait for 6s lmao you ant playing 6s for more than one period lol.

4 times in a row backing out. You are killin my game time which is limited. In the end I will just sell the game or just play offline.

Finally 3v3.

Lw sniper rw sniper aka pug.hogs

Replies

• JoyToTheWorld14
    43 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Queuing 6's during prime time (EST) hours, I have found that it's easy to find a 6v6 match. Takes about one minute on average to find a game. I can't speak for off-peak hours, since I never queue 6's then, and I rarely queue club with less than 6 players on the same team.

But to your point (which I agree with)...

Players will do what they're allowed to do (protecting their club rank in this case). The issue is EA's matchmaking system, which has been the same engine for over 10 years now. When teams are allowed to quit the queue system without a loss, the result is what you're experiencing (less the customization error). We see this in 6's queues every single day, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Me personally, I'd rather have a single button push-initiated long queue to play a game, rather than spend the same amount of time re-queuing (exiting, reforming the lobby room, exiting, reforming the lobby room, etc.). I'd be able to start a queue, then walk away for a couple of minutes to do some household duties while I wait for a "Team Found!" graphic to pop up, and a *swoosh* sound to be heard on the TV, where both teams then load up and play. No seeing who your opponent is prior to loading, and then backing out of the queue. Just two evenly matched teams (which you first discover once the game starts, not before), load, and go. The way it is now, you're literally married to the Xbox, as you have to press a thousand button strokes on the controller just to find one game...all because of these desperate players wanting that grand prize from EA to arrive in their mailboxes...a big can of nothing.

It's been a poorly designed matchmaking engine from the start.
    Post edited by JoyToTheWorld14 on
  • the main point of your post is exactly true and what we have ask for 1000s of times. better menu systems, better game joining mechanisms, etc. Why is it when I back out/kicked out/other team leaves/whatever do I not just go right back to the previous screen in drop in. Have to click through 10 damn menus again.

In club backs out or game fails but all your team members are still "in" just keep searching for next game. not to mention even more and better options when joining. Like for instance, if you don't mind playing a game against 5 players (one AI) let us choose that. say no less then 5 , or 4, or whatever your preference. Want less teams backing out of club? give them a choice of who they play against. Lets say I don't want to play again teams with excessively higher average CRs. If your a casual team that averages like 600-700 CR and the only games you can find are against teams that average 1100 and you dont feel like getting your ❤️❤️❤️❤️ kicked all night, you shouldn't have to.

In drop ins, you have all these options for position, plus W or D or FWD or SKATER. Know what you dont have? the ability to check more than one. Maybe you only want to play C, RW or RD.
  • One problem is...people will play club...in drop ins. It’s supposed to be pick up hockey when your club mates aren’t on.

Nobody wants to stick around when one team clearly has an advantage.
  • JoyToTheWorld14
    43 posts Member
    edited January 26
    One problem is...people will play club...in drop ins. It’s supposed to be pick up hockey when your club mates aren’t on.

Nobody wants to stick around when one team clearly has an advantage.

Random, position-based matchmaking would solve that problem in Drop In mode. It would work like this:

-Select Drop in mode from the menu
    -Choose 3v3 (plus two goalies) or 6v6 mode
    -Choose your position (LD, RW, G, etc.)
    -Click "Ready" *queue starts in the background, and continues until 8 or 12 players are found. No queue timeouts, but the user can press X to exit the queue*
    -User is prompted "Game Found" when 8 or 12 players have been found
    -User loads into game (no Ready Up screen...no option to quit the queue once 8 or 12 players have been found)
    Post edited by JoyToTheWorld14 on
  • It’s sad that it is still like that after all those years. I’ve stopped playing that mode for the same reasons that you are saying and it was many years ago.

Last year, I tried to play drop-in games (10-20 games) and was surprised that you have now to choose the position before queuing. Great improvements, reduce some of the backing out from happening. But they added CR, so people are still backing out, just for other reasons now.

I’ve found some games to play and ended up having some fun with great people on some of them. Made some friends and been offered to play in some club. It was funny though to see and hear people complaining about my low CR (because I don’t play that mode) and then having the people that stick with me asking me to play more games.

Anyway, there’s clearly improvements that could be done to the matchmaking system to reduce the backing out and they need to find a way to keep people in the game more so that you don’t loose half of your team as soon as one goal goes in. I can understand if you have a bad team (puck huggers, people that doesn’t play at all or just fight), but beside that, they should be staying and trying to win or even just be trying.
  • It’s sad that it is still like that after all those years. I’ve stopped playing that mode for the same reasons that you are saying and it was many years ago.

Last year, I tried to play drop-in games (10-20 games) and was surprised that you have now to choose the position before queuing. Great improvements, reduce some of the backing out from happening. But they added CR, so people are still backing out, just for other reasons now.

I’ve found some games to play and ended up having some fun with great people on some of them. Made some friends and been offered to play in some club. It was funny though to see and hear people complaining about my low CR (because I don’t play that mode) and then having the people that stick with me asking me to play more games.

Anyway, there’s clearly improvements that could be done to the matchmaking system to reduce the backing out and they need to find a way to keep people in the game more so that you don’t loose half of your team as soon as one goal goes in. I can understand if you have a bad team (puck huggers, people that doesn’t play at all or just fight), but beside that, they should be staying and trying to win or even just be trying.

Yes, you are right, they should stay and try to win. But.... Today, goalie put his controller down from the beginning of the game. What we can do with that? Another example, game troll permanently staying in off side. We definitely need tools how to deal with that, otherwise this game mode is completely unplayable.
  • 9.9999 times out of 10 a human goalie is going to be garbage so if my team is gonna be the only one that has one, I'll leave everytime.

6'9 300 pound frankenstein EFD ? Probably going to be useless so I'd rather not play.

I understand CR means absolutely nothing (especially when you play drop-ins), but it is so frustrating to constantly lose through no real fault of your own and completely tank in the rankings - the real problem isn't with human nature wanting to be the winner, it's the horrible matchmaking that almost always creates severely uneven games
  • Ampereturn wrote: »
    It’s sad that it is still like that after all those years. I’ve stopped playing that mode for the same reasons that you are saying and it was many years ago.

Yes, you are right, they should stay and try to win. But.... Today, goalie put his controller down from the beginning of the game. What we can do with that? Another example, game troll permanently staying in off side. We definitely need tools how to deal with that, otherwise this game mode is completely unplayable.

They could solve that pretty easily. If the player doesn’t touch the controller (no input) for like 1 minute (in game time), the player get booted out of the game or his player(s) get controlled by the CPU. If the problem is that the player stay offside all the time, or fight, or anything else too often, they could put some kind of warning system and after a certain amount of bad thing, you get kicked out for game misconduct, unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game. You don’t punished the team with a penalty, just kick the player out of the game. They could keep a record of all of this, and if it happens too often, you get suspended for certain amount of game. Something like that would probably be relatively easy to implement and help keeping the game regulated a little bit without having to spend money on real human monitoring games.
  • Ampereturn
    66 posts Member
    edited January 27
    Ampereturn wrote: »
    It’s sad that it is still like that after all those years. I’ve stopped playing that mode for the same reasons that you are saying and it was many years ago.

They could solve that pretty easily. If the player doesn’t touch the controller (no input) for like 1 minute (in game time), the player get booted out of the game or his player(s) get controlled by the CPU. If the problem is that the player stay offside all the time, or fight, or anything else too often, they could put some kind of warning system and after a certain amount of bad thing, you get kicked out for game misconduct, unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game. You don’t punished the team with a penalty, just kick the player out of the game. They could keep a record of all of this, and if it happens too often, you get suspended for certain amount of game. Something like that would probably be relatively easy to implement and help keeping the game regulated a little bit without having to spend money on real human monitoring games.

@boumbidiboum , yes, that's what I meant. So my question is: @NHLDev , please, why it isn't implemented yet? Too many years we are waiting for better game experience in this game mode. Is there any progress? Thank you!
    Post edited by Ampereturn on
  • NHLDev
    1553 posts EA NHL Developer
    @boumbidiboum , yes, that's what I meant. So my question is: @NHLDev , please, why it isn't implemented yet? Too many years we are waiting for better game experience in this game mode. Is there any progress? Thank you!
    I am not sure what the online team has them tuned to right now but there are pieces like that tied to lowering your team play grade and when they get below a certain level, you are meant to be kicked from the game. There are certain pieces that are more extreme than others that would lower it more urgently. There isn't a long term effect piece at this time though that spans multi game.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    363 posts Member
    edited January 27
    NHLDev wrote: »
    I am not sure what the online team has them tuned to right now but there are pieces like that tied to lowering your team play grade and when they get below a certain level, you are meant to be kicked from the game. There are certain pieces that are more extreme than others that would lower it more urgently. There isn't a long term effect piece at this time though that spans multi game.

It would be nice if we would invite friends to play mid-game if there's CPU slots to fill.
    And also have an option when you start matchmaker, check/uncheck if you want to possibly join a game already in progress.
  • NHLDev
    1553 posts EA NHL Developer

It would be nice if we would invite friends to play mid-game if there's CPU slots to fill.
    And also have an option when you start matchmaker, check/uncheck if you want to possibly join a game already in progress.

Yes, hot join and re-join has been on the list of things that would be great adds. It isn't an easy thing to do and our current matchmaking looks to try and make games even so when you can add a player afterwards, it could potentially disrupt that so there is some design that has to be considered there as well.

But the biggest hurdle is the base tech itself in allowing hot-join as a feature. The other pieces would just have to be figured out for balance, etc. and in what situations/modes it is allowed once something like that is technically plausible in the product.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    363 posts Member
    edited January 27

Yes, hot join and re-join has been on the list of things that would be great adds. It isn't an easy thing to do and our current matchmaking looks to try and make games even so when you can add a player afterwards, it could potentially disrupt that so there is some design that has to be considered there as well.

But the biggest hurdle is the base tech itself in allowing hot-join as a feature. The other pieces would just have to be figured out for balance, etc. and in what situations/modes it is allowed once something like that is technically plausible in the product.

Yeah I was in no way suggesting it would be easy haha just a "nice to have" feature that a lot of FPS multiplayer games have. Hope you guys can figure out the tech for it!

Another thing that would help the smallish playerbase, cross platform play!
    I hope you're looking into the possibility of that too.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

IIRC, the issue that was being discussed about players "dropping in" mid game is that it would cause problems in the game sync with other players. At best players would get stutter mid-play. Worst case scenario one (or more) player(s) could get kicked due to desync error. One work around that was talked about was to have players join on the bench and then join the ice on consecutive stoppages in play to minimize the data disruption.

Have a search option in the drop-in search game screen where players can search for games already in session or waiting in lobby, or either one and not the other. So if we search for BOTH types, and the search engine finds a game already in session that we can "drop-in" to replace somebody who quit/lagged out, on the 1st available stoppage, they're placed on the bench. On the next stoppage they get on the ice. If there's any stutter or lag caused by the new player, the impact is minimized by having the play be stopped before a face-off.

I think it was something that was on the old forums... not too sure.
  • EA_Blueberry
    1458 posts EA Community Manager
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Have a search option in the drop-in search game screen where players can search for games already in session or waiting in lobby, or either one and not the other. So if we search for BOTH types, and the search engine finds a game already in session that we can "drop-in" to replace somebody who quit/lagged out, on the 1st available stoppage, they're placed on the bench. On the next stoppage they get on the ice. If there's any stutter or lag caused by the new player, the impact is minimized by having the play be stopped before a face-off.

I think it was something that was on the old forums... not too sure.

I like that bench idea. The last thing you want is a player to join a game and then you see their player just stand still on the ice while they're loading in. My other thought was to wait until a period ends before they can play but if you're going into the 3rd, I suppose sending them to the bench seems more logical without disrupting gameplay.
  • Ampereturn
    66 posts Member
    edited January 28
    Dear @NHLDev, just one question regarding game search mechanism. We have only two options there: "Best location" or "Relaxed". When I choose "Relaxed", it seems that it searches "Best location" first and if there is nothing to find then it searches outside of "Best location". I prefer to play outside of "Best location" where I can find more people to play with. Could you please give us an option to search outside of "Best location" or directly choose the region where We want to play? For example, If there are only two players in "Best location", I stuck there and I have to search over and over again to find full game outside of my location and it takes a long time. So I need to skip "Best location" when searching for the game. Thank you.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

To be honest if you worked out the technical side of the issue I wouldn't even care about how well the replacement players match up, I just don't want to play vs 3 ai for over half of every 6's game. It's not fun to play against them the way they cheat and ai does the same boring things every time.
  • Ampereturn wrote: »
    Dear @NHLDev, just one question regarding game search mechanism. We have only two options there: "Best location" or "Relaxed". When I choose "Relaxed", it seems that it searches "Best location" first and if there is nothing to find then it searches outside of "Best location". I prefer to play outside of "Best location" where I can find more people to play with. Could you please give us an option to search outside of "Best location" or directly choose the region where We want to play? For example, If there are only two players in "Best location", I stuck there and I have to search over and over again to find full game outside of my location and it takes a long time. So I need to skip "Best location" when searching for the game. Thank you.

Just let us checkmark what servers we can connect to.
    List all the servers you have across NA (all checkmarked by default), and if we want to uncheck some we should be able to. Lots of games do this.
  • I do wish they'd implement a more accurate CR match making system. Remove CR from win/loss, and base it on how well one actually plays. The coaches scores should be used to determine CR, not whether or not your goalie decided to try and start a fight and give up an empty net goal. I've had games with 90% on off/def/team scores, goals, assists...playing my position exactly as I should, but because we lose somehow it means how competitive I am as a player gets devalued? It makes no sense.

Remove it from win/loss and now you can match up players with more closely related CR. Idiots and griefers get stuck playing in the 300-400 CR range, whereas the higher you gain CR the more likely it is your games will finish with most of the players it started with. Additionally, throw in an automatic -25 CR for each quit, and the players would pretty much police themselves.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    I do wish they'd implement a more accurate CR match making system. Remove CR from win/loss, and base it on how well one actually plays. The coaches scores should be used to determine CR, not whether or not your goalie decided to try and start a fight and give up an empty net goal. I've had games with 90% on off/def/team scores, goals, assists...playing my position exactly as I should, but because we lose somehow it means how competitive I am as a player gets devalued? It makes no sense.

Remove it from win/loss and now you can match up players with more closely related CR. Idiots and griefers get stuck playing in the 300-400 CR range, whereas the higher you gain CR the more likely it is your games will finish with most of the players it started with. Additionally, throw in an automatic -25 CR for each quit, and the players would pretty much police themselves.

The coach ratings are garbage and very inaccurate a lot of the time too, they would need to be fine tuned first.