EA Forums - Banner

Honest opinion about CHEL 3s dropin

2Next

Replies

• Agree with 3s fracturing the already smallish player base. It is for over time in the real NHL. Leave it at that for gods sakes.

This is an NHL title. Full 3s games do not exist in the NHL.

NHL OT is not 3s, its 4s. I'm ok with that. it's not real hockey but before that OT was a waste of time. It was a dumb boring defensive battle while they play for shootout.

3s hockey is not played on a full ice rink anywhere in the world. Ever. 3s as an arcade mode is fine. As part of "real" drop in hockey? Thats ridiculous. Its not hockey anymore than 1v1v1 is hockey. On top of all that the penalty shot every single time there's a penalty is just icing on the cake for this joke mode of non hockey. Instead of doing something smart like adding an additional player to give them a 4v3 PP, they give the other team a guaranteed goal.

And yes we all know why most people play 3s. Because they just want a giant ice to skate around dekeing and 1timing without having to face an actual hockey defense.

End result WAY less people that play 6s (a very bad thing) and more importantly you took a community that in general already sucks at hockey and gave them a mode that taught them horrible habits. Which leads to more whining about how "there's no room to do anything in 6s".

While I do not totally agree nor disagree with you here, you may however want to ask yourself this:

For those that more space to just deke around and do one-timers, do you really want them in a 6s setting? Would you want those guys on your team every time you dropin?

dude, its drop in. I'll just settle for people that have an iq over 50 and don't play like they are using their feet instead of hands. If I play 8 drop ins in a night I "MIGHT" find 2 or 3 of those people. Which is awesome since the broken CR system means i basically have to win like 75% of the games to keep my CR from dropping into the toilet. Which is increasingly difficult when 1/3 of the games are against a bunch of 800+ CR guys while my team averages 400.

back on topic, i actually find more decent players in 3s than 6s just because no one wants to touch 6s drop ins with a 10ft pole. EA has taken its best feature and destroyed it.

ok, fair enough.
  • EA_Aljo
    3060 posts EA Community Manager
    So basically you're mad that a large portion of the playerbase stopped playing 6's in recent years and since you don't like 3's, everyone should stop playing them and EA should get rid of them altogether. Got it. Makes sense.

I suggest you get over yourself sooner rather than later cause they're here to stay whether you like it or not buddy. Also, you might want to ask yourself why so many players made the switch from 6's to 3's to begin with. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you and a lot of top (and casual) players find 3's way more fun than 6's.

NHL used to be at its peak when it had lobbies and only featured 6v6.

The franchise I used to play year round is now an arcade mess that doesnt resemble real life hockey and probably would fold if it wasn't for HUT keeping it afloat.

Just my guess but I'd wager sales on the actual game are nowhere they used to be since it goes on sale early October these days.

Sadly gaming these days is about rushing a game out the door, unfinished, and using useless gimmicks to draw in casuals so they can spend on microtransactions.

The old lobby system was very frequently trolled. You had guys sitting in the middle or jumping between sides just to grief everyone. You had to race for your position and the guys that didn't get theirs usually played as if they did. Like, getting a D spot, but playing as a forward. Yes, I get that people not playing their position is still an issue, but at least they have to choose the position they play so, more often than not, you get someone that's going to play it appropriately. The flow for getting into games for drop-ins is a lot better than it used to be with at least getting the position you want to play. You also don't have to sit through several lobbies before getting into a game due to people trolling. I'm not saying the current system is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What would you do to make drop-ins more appealing and cut down on trolling?

As far as being an arcade mess goes, you can absolutely play a more traditional style of hockey. Many people choose not to. They don't use their defense. They don't cycle. They don't slow down their play and try to set up good scoring chances. They're more focused on their individual effort than using their team. There isn't a lot we can do about that. If we restrict how people play, they get mad for limiting their options. If you give people too much freedom, we have people upset it doesn't resemble real hockey. Human nature is something we can't really force and we don't have control over. When you see a team of 6s with skilled players and good chemistry, it looks a lot like real hockey. When you get drop-ins with people that either want to be a one-man show or are still learning how to play, it's a very different game.

NHL isn't rushed out the door. There's a ton of work that goes into the game every year. There are also games that spend several years in development and still have issues. This is the nature of software development. Many issues aren't present until the game gets in the hands of the general public where they can find bugs that are very difficult to test for. That's been going on for decades now. Threes isn't a useless gimmick. It's a mode there were a very high amount of requests for. It also has the possibility of introducing people to the sport and generating interest for more authentic hockey. Which could lead them to 6s. We all would have been considered casual players at one time. As we get more into the game, we get more interested in raising our skill and playing with others that want a more pure hockey experience. You're not really hardcore and highly skilled from day one. It takes some time. There also are the guys that just want a fun, arcade-style game to play. There's nothing wrong with either one. You also have options for 6s only play with online leagues. There are a ton of people that look to play 6s outside of league games as well. If you know where to look, you can find people to play with.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4651 posts EA Community Manager
    Agree with 3s fracturing the already smallish player base. It is for over time in the real NHL. Leave it at that for gods sakes.

This is an NHL title. Full 3s games do not exist in the NHL.

NHL OT is not 3s, its 4s. I'm ok with that. it's not real hockey but before that OT was a waste of time. It was a dumb boring defensive battle while they play for shootout.

3s hockey is not played on a full ice rink anywhere in the world. Ever. 3s as an arcade mode is fine. As part of "real" drop in hockey? Thats ridiculous. Its not hockey anymore than 1v1v1 is hockey. On top of all that the penalty shot every single time there's a penalty is just icing on the cake for this joke mode of non hockey. Instead of doing something smart like adding an additional player to give them a 4v3 PP, they give the other team a guaranteed goal.

And yes we all know why most people play 3s. Because they just want a giant ice to skate around dekeing and 1timing without having to face an actual hockey defense.

End result WAY less people that play 6s (a very bad thing) and more importantly you took a community that in general already sucks at hockey and gave them a mode that taught them horrible habits. Which leads to more whining about how "there's no room to do anything in 6s".

While I do not totally agree nor disagree with you here, you may however want to ask yourself this:

For those that more space to just deke around and do one-timers, do you really want them in a 6s setting? Would you want those guys on your team every time you dropin?

That's the first thing that came to my mind too. Those new to the sport might have an easier time adjusting to the game if they have that little extra amount of time to pass and learn juke moves. Also helps practice OT rules too. Giving players a penalty shot on penalties seems like a good way to discourage poke check spam? I think there's a lot of great things that come out of the mode and we're all going to have different opinions on it, but I do think there are some assumptions out there on whether this mode is creating behavioral patterns in other modes without any factual evidence to back it up.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    This is going to be rushed and all over the place cause I'm at work:

@EA_Aljo

I'll give you that about trolling. It was an issue on occasion. But the board was phenomenal for finding players to play with within the game, creating custom games, reconnecting with users after a game. Basically putting yourself out there. If I was up for league games, I'd just post "Dman looking for club" and I would get plenty of requests. Now I have to use outside 3rd party if I want to find legit players or pray I find them in dropin.

In regards to getting people to play properly, you have NHL 3v3, dropin 3v3, Ones, Eliminators ... all this casual outdoor rink nonsense where casuals come in, learn bad habits, carry them habits into 6s so you can bet 6s is a poopchute ... they get upset and go back to their casual arcade modes then it's difficult to get full 6v6 games ... and if I do find people I enjoyed playing with, rarely do I successfully re-launch as a team and have to go find that user (usually with my phone PS App).

I get trying to cater to every group but fracturing an already small, niche market, doesnt help your hardcore base. Sometimes less is more.

When I said gaming these days, I wasn't specifically talking about NHL in general ... and I understand that bugs happen, but NHL is in year 5 or 6 of development on next gen and it still has plenty of day one bugs ... and no, not day one NHL 20 bugs, NHL 15 bugs. Auction house bugs, disconnect bugs, player AI bugs, line change bugs, games not counting bugs.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So basically you're mad that a large portion of the playerbase stopped playing 6's in recent years and since you don't like 3's, everyone should stop playing them and EA should get rid of them altogether. Got it. Makes sense.

I suggest you get over yourself sooner rather than later cause they're here to stay whether you like it or not buddy. Also, you might want to ask yourself why so many players made the switch from 6's to 3's to begin with. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you and a lot of top (and casual) players find 3's way more fun than 6's.

The franchise I used to play year round is now an arcade mess that doesnt resemble real life hockey and probably would fold if it wasn't for HUT keeping it afloat.

Just my guess but I'd wager sales on the actual game are nowhere they used to be since it goes on sale early October these days.

Sadly gaming these days is about rushing a game out the door, unfinished, and using useless gimmicks to draw in casuals so they can spend on microtransactions.

The old lobby system was very frequently trolled. You had guys sitting in the middle or jumping between sides just to grief everyone. You had to race for your position and the guys that didn't get theirs usually played as if they did. Like, getting a D spot, but playing as a forward. Yes, I get that people not playing their position is still an issue, but at least they have to choose the position they play so, more often than not, you get someone that's going to play it appropriately. The flow for getting into games for drop-ins is a lot better than it used to be with at least getting the position you want to play. You also don't have to sit through several lobbies before getting into a game due to people trolling. I'm not saying the current system is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What would you do to make drop-ins more appealing and cut down on trolling?

As far as being an arcade mess goes, you can absolutely play a more traditional style of hockey. Many people choose not to. They don't use their defense. They don't cycle. They don't slow down their play and try to set up good scoring chances. They're more focused on their individual effort than using their team. There isn't a lot we can do about that. If we restrict how people play, they get mad for limiting their options. If you give people too much freedom, we have people upset it doesn't resemble real hockey. Human nature is something we can't really force and we don't have control over. When you see a team of 6s with skilled players and good chemistry, it looks a lot like real hockey. When you get drop-ins with people that either want to be a one-man show or are still learning how to play, it's a very different game.

NHL isn't rushed out the door. There's a ton of work that goes into the game every year. There are also games that spend several years in development and still have issues. This is the nature of software development. Many issues aren't present until the game gets in the hands of the general public where they can find bugs that are very difficult to test for. That's been going on for decades now. Threes isn't a useless gimmick. It's a mode there were a very high amount of requests for. It also has the possibility of introducing people to the sport and generating interest for more authentic hockey. Which could lead them to 6s. We all would have been considered casual players at one time. As we get more into the game, we get more interested in raising our skill and playing with others that want a more pure hockey experience. You're not really hardcore and highly skilled from day one. It takes some time. There also are the guys that just want a fun, arcade-style game to play. There's nothing wrong with either one. You also have options for 6s only play with online leagues. There are a ton of people that look to play 6s outside of league games as well. If you know where to look, you can find people to play with.

"The old lobby system was very frequently trolled. You had guys sitting in the middle or jumping between sides just to grief everyone."

Trolling is a simple fix, allow more people into the room instead of 12 max. Then the troll can sit in the middle all they want. There should also be a kick function, captain of the room can kick the known trolls.

You also had the ability to create your own password protected room.

"Like, getting a D spot, but playing as a forward"

It still happens today, nothing has changed. D's often play as forwards, it's not because of lobbies. Most of the time if a player didn't get his desired position he would just leave and find a different lobby. On average it was still WAY quicker to get a full 6v6 game with lobbies than it is with matchmaker. Hell most of the time it isn't even 6v6 these days, more like 4v4 or 5v4.

Also with lobbies many times you go into a game with a position in mind, as say a goalie, but no goalie is coming in on the other team, so you jump in the open D slot to salvage the game. Can't do that now.

"The flow for getting into games for drop-ins is a lot better than it used to be with at least getting the position you want to play"

That's just not true at all. Because you're picking your position before hand, the matchmaker has to wait until a position is available, it gets more complicated and takes longer if you're in a party with multiple people. And when the population is low (which is most of the time) then it takes forever to get into a game. Add in all the matchmaking errors and you're sitting in menus most of the night.

NHL15 on PS3 averages less than 100 players online and i can STILL consistently get into full 6v6 games because of the lobbies. Played a few games lastnight actually.

I don't think you should ditch the matchmaker, but you for sure they should bring back lobbies, especially since the population is so low. Lobbies (server browser) is oldschool but it works, last gens version just needed a few tweaks.
    Post edited by de4c0n_fr05t on
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I'm actually ok with this match making system but I would tweak it. I'm very versatile and can play any skater position and left or right handed and play well enough to help or lead the team, win a majority of faceoffs etc. However when I queue up as a skater the game clearly has a set order for positions that it fills. First is RD then LD and I'm not sure what order it prioritizes for forwards after that. What I don't like is always getting put at RD in a half empty game. What I would prefer is that those who choose skater/d/fwd don't have their positions assigned until the rest of the spots are filled or pre-game time runs out. This way you leave more flexibility in filling the rosters out completely and getting a full 5v5 or 6v6.

Also I would have the lobby drop the G if the opposing team never found one.

Boom, better match making.
  • EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

I'll give you that about trolling. It was an issue on occasion. But the board was phenomenal for finding players to play with within the game, creating custom games, reconnecting with users after a game. Basically putting yourself out there. If I was up for league games, I'd just post "Dman looking for club" and I would get plenty of requests. Now I have to use outside 3rd party if I want to find legit players or pray I find them in dropin.

In regards to getting people to play properly, you have NHL 3v3, dropin 3v3, Ones, Eliminators ... all this casual outdoor rink nonsense where casuals come in, learn bad habits, carry them habits into 6s so you can bet 6s is a poopchute ... they get upset and go back to their casual arcade modes then it's difficult to get full 6v6 games ... and if I do find people I enjoyed playing with, rarely do I successfully re-launch as a team and have to go find that user (usually with my phone PS App).

I get trying to cater to every group but fracturing an already small, niche market, doesnt help your hardcore base. Sometimes less is more.

When I said gaming these days, I wasn't specifically talking about NHL in general ... and I understand that bugs happen, but NHL is in year 5 or 6 of development on next gen and it still has plenty of day one bugs ... and no, not day one NHL 20 bugs, NHL 15 bugs. Auction house bugs, disconnect bugs, player AI bugs, line change bugs, games not counting bugs.

Yes. The old lobbies were better for communicating with others in them. That, I'll agree with. It would be great to have that return. For reconnecting after a game, that shouldn't be terribly difficult. You're actually put into a lobby with the same players. However, I know not everyone sticks around. You should still be able to see their gamertag or PSN ID under recently played and track them down though.

Did you use custom games a lot? I never did play in any myself. I never knew anyone that used them other than to set up games with a specific group of people rather than create a room with custom rules and wait for others to join. It would be nice to have that option though.

If guys with bad habits are going to make the move to 6s, chances are good they are going to learn their bad habits don't work so well in 6s. Some may go back to 3s, some may stick with 6s and improve their play. I don't think totally removing those modes are going to help though. Lesser skilled players have been an issue in drop-ins since well before 3s was in the game. It's not like all of a sudden in the last couple of years the play in drop-ins has significantly dropped. You see the same kind of people going back to the last generation of consoles. However, there were more 6s games since that's all that was available. Plus, since most people trash talk bad players in drop-ins, I imagine it scares them off. If more tried to actually educate those guys instead of talk down to them, you might see more people stick with 6s and be more motivated to raise their skill.

There will always be bugs. Even when a game is released annually. If the game never changed, you'd see fewer and fewer bugs. Since each year there are many changes to the game, it means chances are decent there's going to be some bugs discovered post-launch.
  • @EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

Yes. The old lobbies were better for communicating with others in them. That, I'll agree with. It would be great to have that return. For reconnecting after a game, that shouldn't be terribly difficult. You're actually put into a lobby with the same players. However, I know not everyone sticks around. You should still be able to see their gamertag or PSN ID under recently played and track them down though.

Did you use custom games a lot? I never did play in any myself. I never knew anyone that used them other than to set up games with a specific group of people rather than create a room with custom rules and wait for others to join. It would be nice to have that option though.

If guys with bad habits are going to make the move to 6s, chances are good they are going to learn their bad habits don't work so well in 6s. Some may go back to 3s, some may stick with 6s and improve their play. I don't think totally removing those modes are going to help though. Lesser skilled players have been an issue in drop-ins since well before 3s was in the game. It's not like all of a sudden in the last couple of years the play in drop-ins has significantly dropped. You see the same kind of people going back to the last generation of consoles. However, there were more 6s games since that's all that was available. Plus, since most people trash talk bad players in drop-ins, I imagine it scares them off. If more tried to actually educate those guys instead of talk down to them, you might see more people stick with 6s and be more motivated to raise their skill.

There will always be bugs. Even when a game is released annually. If the game never changed, you'd see fewer and fewer bugs. Since each year there are many changes to the game, it means chances are decent there's going to be some bugs discovered post-launch.

But what about the bugs that arent fixed for entire console generations or several years? Is it because its too hard to fix without breaking other things, or they cant pinpoint the cause or what? Always been curious why we give feedback on certain bugs for years, yet theyre never fixed or have a band aid put on them.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

But what about the bugs that arent fixed for entire console generations or several years? Is it because its too hard to fix without breaking other things, or they cant pinpoint the cause or what? Always been curious why we give feedback on certain bugs for years, yet theyre never fixed or have a band aid put on them.

My guess is this:

Since they recycle this game every single year, which is an extremely outdated practice and needs to stop, they don't have the time or money to spend on fixing minor/major bugs that aren't game breaking.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

@EA_Aljo

A common mix-up lobbies and what was calls dressing rooms. Old lobbies and new. There are no new lobbies as there are no more lobbies. Lobbies are where the public sit and talk and organize games they want to play. Been around online gaming almost from the beginning.

Ea nhl used to have lobbies. A bad lobby system but better than nothing (what we have now).

Yes if you just loaded up public games from the lobbies you could get trolls. Nothing as bad as you get now, but it could happen. That was when you first saw people asking for anti trolling help from EA. Something they still completely ignore about 8 years later, hence why drop in is now dead. That combined with being forced to play with mostly noobs that are horrible.

But as stated, could load private games. No trolls invited. Ea should have worked to fix those issues, combining that with the few improvements they have made like picking your position ahead of time. Although even that needs work.

All world of chell games should load from lobby. 6s, 3s, etc. Get a community going again. There is zero today

• I've been posting about lobbies since they vanished. They WORKED. You still had people dropping in too. Games fill so very quickly! And you meet people. Any online game that isn't Battlefield or COD needs a community HUB tied into the game directly.

People actually used mics a lot more back then, because you would run into the same players. Everything about it was better aside from some trolling issues that could easily be resolved.
  • EA_Aljo
    @EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

Which bugs haven't been fixed for a whole generation? Typically, if something isn't fixed, it's either a very low priority or no fix has been found. There are a couple I can think of. One is the negative escrow issue with HUT and the other is games not counting in EASHL. Both of those, to my knowledge, haven't been able to be reliably reproduced.
  • @EA_Aljo I used to play in locked lobby games all the time back then. We had a great bunch of guys. This was also 8 years ago when I was able to play 400-500 dropin/EASHL games. These days I can barely stomach 30. The dropin experience simply isn't what it used to be.

Maybe I was younger and more naive but it felt like everyone knew how to play the game back then and everyone played accordingly to get the proper grades they needed to unlock the next level. Now there's literally nothing to strive for or any reason to play accordingly ... but that's another topic.
  • EA_Aljo
    @EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

My guess is this:

Since they recycle this game every single year, which is an extremely outdated practice and needs to stop, they don't have the time or money to spend on fixing minor/major bugs that aren't game breaking.

The game isn't recycled every year. That implies nothing gets done and just rosters get updated. There are many issues handled every year through the new game being released as well as a few updates post-launch. If an issue is truly game-breaking, it's typically resolved. The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, that was still semi-present last year was the issue with drop-in games on PS4 not starting.
  • EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo

A common mix-up lobbies and what was calls dressing rooms. Old lobbies and new. There are no new lobbies as there are no more lobbies. Lobbies are where the public sit and talk and organize games they want to play. Been around online gaming almost from the beginning.

Ea nhl used to have lobbies. A bad lobby system but better than nothing (what we have now).

Yes if you just loaded up public games from the lobbies you could get trolls. Nothing as bad as you get now, but it could happen. That was when you first saw people asking for anti trolling help from EA. Something they still completely ignore about 8 years later, hence why drop in is now dead. That combined with being forced to play with mostly noobs that are horrible.

But as stated, could load private games. No trolls invited. Ea should have worked to fix those issues, combining that with the few improvements they have made like picking your position ahead of time. Although even that needs work.

All world of chell games should load from lobby. 6s, 3s, etc. Get a community going again. There is zero today

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I feel there were a lot more trolls with the old system as it's pretty easy for me to get into a drop in now on the first try whereas it often took a few tries when we had the old lobby system. Again though, you had the same types of players then as you do now. Some of them new, some of them just messing around, some of them working on their skills which often had them playing really selfishly. I think a lot of people have moved away from drop-ins for a number of reasons. Personally, I would rather play with friends or 3s. Mainly because people tend to quit out of drop-ins as soon as a goal gets scored. It's rare a game ends with all 12 even though most drop-ins I play fill up quickly and start off with 12. I also really hate playing with the trolls and guys that want to just dangle through traffic and try to be a hero. It's frustrating for sure. I just don't see how the old lobby system is going to drastically improve this as these players existed previous to it.

You can still have private games. Just invite the people you want to play with to a private dressing room. I can't agree that there's no community for 6s. If that were true, you wouldn't see leagues like LG be so popular. I will agree there's room for improvement with the lobby/dressing room system we currently have.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    498 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted over how idiotically stupid some people can be in drop-in

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    498 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Right now positions disappear in drop-ins only to reappear in the game, this is so infuriating when that person just so happened to be a goalie - now you're stuck with a horrible human G letting everything in...

Something needs to be done about penalties in my opinion - just like in regular EASHL 3v3's penalty shots can easily be manipulated by good players and self abused by terrible players; I'd rather that person just be sent to the box for a few minutes. If you're down to your last player and get another player, then it should be a penalty shot.

[Socair - edited for discussing moderation]
    Post edited by Socair on