Prev1
I’m bored and it’s fun going back in time

Replies

• PS3 sure, not PS4
  • PS3 sure, not PS4

Why not PS4 I wonder... :lol:
  • PS3 sure, not PS4

What's your psn name? Ill play ya
  • If I had my 360 still I'd go back and play the shizzle out of it after the crap we've had to endure for the last five years.
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    I've been on my ps3 playing nhl14, remember, the one that actually plays kinda like hockey?
  • EA_Aljo
    3217 posts EA Community Manager
    nyi95 wrote: »
    I've been on my ps3 playing nhl14, remember, the one that actually plays kinda like hockey?

What did you like better about 14 that made it play more like real hockey?
  • nyi95 wrote: »

What's the playerbase like? Still able to get OTP games? NHL15 averages about 100 people online in the evenings.
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    I don't have the legacy edition, so sadly nobody online. I play 14 because its all i have at the moment for a hockey fix.
    I don't have the legacy edition, so sadly nobody online. I play 14 because its all i have at the moment for a hockey fix.

See if you can find NHL15(non legacy edition, which is technically NHL16) on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/LetGo or local used game store for cheap, plenty of people still playing OTP
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    EA Aljo. Hard to explain. The whole atmosphere of the game made it seem like an actual hockey game. From presentation to fans and commentary. Im talking offline obviously. Even the little things in gameplay. AI seemed better, goalies were better. Even the sounds were better. Puck off the boards, off the goalie, off sticks. Players reacted to everything! Puck reacted to everything. There was a lot less of objects morphing through everything. Don't get me wrong, getting used to the skating takes a while compared to todays game,but, the fun factor is still there. Why do u think I'm playing old gen for? None of my friends want to play anymore. Online (drop ins) is toxic as heck. The pond hockey thing is ridiculous. No gear but full contact. Makes sense and its old and stale. Maybe u guys didn't add DDA or ice tilt, but it sure feels like it. Every games the same ole, same ole. Go up, score. They come back, score. How is this fun? Its like watching a bad movie over and over again hoping for a different ending! Never happens! Sorry I'm rambling, but u asked. Also sorry for no paragraphs. Im old school and computer illiterate. Takes me 5 mins to find the Q on the keypad! Lol.

I suggest u play the old version(14) then play 20. Maybe you'll understand what I'm rambling about.

Common denominator here is, we love hockey too much to see it at its current state as EA has it.
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    Thx Deacon, I'll have to check that out. Sure miss those days. Also, seeing as i deleted 20( just cant take it anymore) i guess i have no choice, lol.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA Aljo. Hard to explain. The whole atmosphere of the game made it seem like an actual hockey game. From presentation to fans and commentary. Im talking offline obviously. Even the little things in gameplay. AI seemed better, goalies were better. Even the sounds were better. Puck off the boards, off the goalie, off sticks. Players reacted to everything! Puck reacted to everything. There was a lot less of objects morphing through everything. Don't get me wrong, getting used to the skating takes a while compared to todays game,but, the fun factor is still there. Why do u think I'm playing old gen for? None of my friends want to play anymore. Online (drop ins) is toxic as heck. The pond hockey thing is ridiculous. No gear but full contact. Makes sense and its old and stale. Maybe u guys didn't add DDA or ice tilt, but it sure feels like it. Every games the same ole, same ole. Go up, score. They come back, score. How is this fun? Its like watching a bad movie over and over again hoping for a different ending! Never happens! Sorry I'm rambling, but u asked. Also sorry for no paragraphs. Im old school and computer illiterate. Takes me 5 mins to find the Q on the keypad! Lol.

I suggest u play the old version(14) then play 20. Maybe you'll understand what I'm rambling about.

Common denominator here is, we love hockey too much to see it at its current state as EA has it.

I played a ton of NHL 14. It's been a while though. I'll have to try it out again. I know it was an easier game to play though. Tape to tape passes were easier and that was a common complaint. One timers were easier to execute as well so we had a lot of people complaining that cross-crease one Ts were a glitch. 14 was a great game, but it lacked the realism that's in the current game. The puck reacts more realistically. It also reacts not more surfaces. It didn't react to jerseys in 14, for example.

The idea of ice tilt didn't come around in the last few years. There were assumptions it was in NHL 14 and before.

Skating was very different, as you mentioned. You could skate sideways, across the blades of your skates, which is pretty much impossible but was something a lot of people liked as it didn't feel sluggish since you didn't have the physics of real-world skating at play.

Objects still clipped through each other. That's nothing new either.

Why don't you and your friends get a club going instead of playing drop-ins? Even when it's just 3 of us, we prefer that over drop-ins ourselves. If they aren't on, I'll play drop-ins. There's some toxic players, but there's some downright good ones too. Guys I'll end up running a few games with and add them to my friends list.

Maybe you think Threes is ridiculous, but it's also an incredibly popular mode. I'm very happy to see the people that would rather have no rules and go for big hits all the time have a place to play. It tends to leave the guys that want a more pure experience to play 6s.

You say games are all the same. Go up, score, come back, score. Are you seeing every game with a ridiculous amount of goals? I'm not seeing that. However, I tend to play with people that defend well and we limit their chances. Most of the EASHL games I'm in are pretty low scoring. On average, 3 or less to a side. They're normally pretty hard-fought battles and not just scoring at will. The only reason I can think of when it comes to us having very different experiences is due to how we play and who we play with.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Tape to tape passes were easier and that was a common complaint.

Not online. If the pass was slightly too hard it would bounce off your stick.
    Unlike NHL20 where you can send an in close rocket pass and receive it fine without bobbling it.
  • 15 was sad for me. Nhl was the last best nhl for me but that’s because my dream nhl sim game allows you to gm your own team against others. That was the last game all 10 of my nhl buddies played, I have been the last of them for the past 3 years. For some reason battle royal wasn’t it, it’s almost like hockey players want hockey modes. We get our battle royal fix from those games not sports games
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    EAAljo. We do have a club. On best nights all we can play is eashl 3s. I dont mind the 3s so much but prefer a full team of 6. Hard to come by. Playing some human and the rest compys to me is not good. Its been posted a lot. U either get the hall of fame compys or the beer induced no hockey sense compys.

I was not talking the 3s mode with the no rules , score on every shot mode. Thats ok for some people, just not me.

As for referring to nhl14 old gen, obviously compared to todays game, visually, skating wise, shooting wise, new gen accels. What im trying to get through here is the game itself offered more of a hockey experience. Modes that actually resembled hockey and made it fun. I met a lot of people from nhl10( my first year online) who r still my friends today. Better lobbies system made it easy. The outdoor hockey thing in drop ins is ( to me) an absolute bore. Hundreds of chel( God I hate that name) gear u can only use in drop in 3s. Whats the point? Fortnite infested dance intros. Thats hockey? Last game i watched on tv, i dont remember seeing Crosby or Ovi lining up at their blue line doin Elvis impersonations! Or playing with skaters dresses as Santa, or elves, or mummies or scarecrows, come on!!

As for defending like u mentioned , I play( sry, played) mainly D. The only way to stop the offense is to be in position. I try to do this but heres the problem. One,poking. Sry to say but its a penalty 95% of the time. Yes im aiming, yes im trying for the stick, results r a penalty mostly. Hitting, i dont really have a problem there as i know when to do it and when not to. Blocking? Go down to block a pass or a shot, the opposing player falls over u, guess what? Penalty. So all i can do is get in front if the shot and hope it hits me. I have seen my replays where the puck went through my body. Ive also seen the puck go through my stick when i had the passing lane blocked. On the offensive side if D, most shots from the blue line( if u get a pass that is) r blocked or go high. Makes playing D kinda boring as ur limited to doing ur job as a dman.

What I'd really like to push this game into greatness is balance. Offline, pro and under, i dominate, all star and supersrar, its the opposite. Is it not possible to balance this out? On superstar when they set up in my zone, i start to hum the theme from the Harlem Globetrotters in my head as this it what it looks like. Im the Generals and the AI is the Trotters. Only difference is they never come up behind me and drop my hockey pants! Lol.

I'll repeat this again, u guys had it right in the nhl19 beta . The one released in late August 2019. That was the best 2 weeks i had on this generation of consoles. Sadly, we all know what happened.

Anyway, if u can figure out a way to balance this game out and make the presentation mimic a real life nhl game, crowds anthems, 3 stars after the game, intros, custom music, I'm in.

Heres to hope for the ps5 version. Though im very skeptical.
    EAAljo. We do have a club. On best nights all we can play is eashl 3s. I dont mind the 3s so much but prefer a full team of 6. Hard to come by. Playing some human and the rest compys to me is not good. Its been posted a lot. U either get the hall of fame compys or the beer induced no hockey sense compys.

I was not talking the 3s mode with the no rules , score on every shot mode. Thats ok for some people, just not me.

As for referring to nhl14 old gen, obviously compared to todays game, visually, skating wise, shooting wise, new gen accels. What im trying to get through here is the game itself offered more of a hockey experience. Modes that actually resembled hockey and made it fun. I met a lot of people from nhl10( my first year online) who r still my friends today. Better lobbies system made it easy. The outdoor hockey thing in drop ins is ( to me) an absolute bore. Hundreds of chel( God I hate that name) gear u can only use in drop in 3s. Whats the point? Fortnite infested dance intros. Thats hockey? Last game i watched on tv, i dont remember seeing Crosby or Ovi lining up at their blue line doin Elvis impersonations! Or playing with skaters dresses as Santa, or elves, or mummies or scarecrows, come on!!

As for defending like u mentioned , I play( sry, played) mainly D. The only way to stop the offense is to be in position. I try to do this but heres the problem. One,poking. Sry to say but its a penalty 95% of the time. Yes im aiming, yes im trying for the stick, results r a penalty mostly. Hitting, i dont really have a problem there as i know when to do it and when not to. Blocking? Go down to block a pass or a shot, the opposing player falls over u, guess what? Penalty. So all i can do is get in front if the shot and hope it hits me. I have seen my replays where the puck went through my body. Ive also seen the puck go through my stick when i had the passing lane blocked. On the offensive side if D, most shots from the blue line( if u get a pass that is) r blocked or go high. Makes playing D kinda boring as ur limited to doing ur job as a dman.

What I'd really like to push this game into greatness is balance. Offline, pro and under, i dominate, all star and supersrar, its the opposite. Is it not possible to balance this out? On superstar when they set up in my zone, i start to hum the theme from the Harlem Globetrotters in my head as this it what it looks like. Im the Generals and the AI is the Trotters. Only difference is they never come up behind me and drop my hockey pants! Lol.

I'll repeat this again, u guys had it right in the nhl19 beta . The one released in late August 2019. That was the best 2 weeks i had on this generation of consoles. Sadly, we all know what happened.

Anyway, if u can figure out a way to balance this game out and make the presentation mimic a real life nhl game, crowds anthems, 3 stars after the game, intros, custom music, I'm in.

NHL 19 beta was best. I would like the tripping dialed back a little from that. I don't feel I should ever get a trip if I'm in front or right beside. Apart from that the 19 beta was best for eashl. Threes eliminator gameplay is best in 20 because you can intercept passes. In 19 it would routinely go right through players as if they were not even on the ice. Your best chance at stoping a pass was to turn sideways and hope it hit your skate blade. If we could get 19 gameplay for eashl I would be SO happy! I'm not sure why they changed it. Not sure how it can make them more money to make the game worse, but they have.

The one thing eliminator has going for it is that you CAN play defense in that mode. In eashl you just position yourself as best you can and hope for the best outcome. Intercepting passes you don't even have to look for the puck, blocking shots is just random RNG whether you block or it goes right though, bumping players off the puck they get it right back and you stumble instead and are taken out, poke check too close and it's an auto trip, sometimes there's no way to stop a player from shooting in a 1t. There's really not much ACTUAL defense in eashl. In eliminator you have to look at the puck to intercept, you can make hits and knock people off the puck much more often, you can block shots or hit someone before they receive the 1t, positioning and teamwork matter a whole lot more because the goalies are bad (you ARE the defense and goalie) threes mode in this game (besides the OP CPU players that will carry 2 subpar guys to 800+ CR) is actually likely a better product that EASHL. I have more fun playing it because I feel I make a difference. I would like to enjoy 6s more but there is just so much wrong with it. Sales have GOT to be dropping, and yet some people on here will defend this product until the bitter end even when gameplay videos show the opposite of what they're suggesting.
  • EA_Aljo

I can understand how the outdoor, festival atmosphere takes you out of the immersive feeling of more authentic hockey. While the game plays identical to club, some people can be distracted by the pre-game lineup dances and choices in clothing. Then there are also people that really like them. Since you see most everyone customizing their player with this, it seems they are pretty popular. Also, you're only seeing the wilder outfits in Threes and Ones. Those are meant to be arcade modes. You don't have to play them if they aren't immersive enough for you.

I definitely understand preferring the club atmosphere. It's more to my liking as well and I'll gladly play 6s with a mix of AI and humans just so I can play with my friends and have a higher level of competition. The AI are dependable for us and play quite well, but I also adjust the strategies and we all are good at staying in position. I know you don't want to play club without a full 6s team so I'd recommend finding some of the more skilled players in drop-ins and invite them to your club. That are run drop-ins together.

I hate to say it, but if you're taking a penalty 95% of the time when you poke, you need to learn how to poke better. Why is it that some players, myself included, can use the poke choke as one of their main defensive tools and not take a penalty the high majority of the time? Yeah, they happen, my pokes aren't always perfect, but out of all them, the successful pokes vastly outweigh the unsuccessful pokes.

If you're constantly taking penalties for blocking shots, that too is something you need to learn how to do better. You can't just lay on the ice indefinitely and let people skate over you to cause penalties. There's a brief window where this is possible, but if it happens it's because you went down too close to them. I block shots all the time. Most often by going down on a knee instead of dropping to the ice. You need to use these moves wisely and take out the puck rather than the player.

I don't find defense boring. It's rewarding to me, but I also use all the tools available. I have heard from many people that they don't use the poke check because they feel it's broken. Something isn't broken because you don't know how to use it. Could it be improved? Sure. Just like most everything in this game, improvements can be made. However, poke checking is a very viable way to defend.

If you have video of the puck passing through your stick or body when you're blocking a shot, please pass it on so it can be reviewed for issues.

If you're having trouble with All-Star and Superstar difficulty in offline modes, you have the option to customize those to your liking. For online play, like in Squad Battles for example, you can choose to play at a lower difficulty. All-Star and Superstar are supposed to be challenging levels of difficulty. Most likely, the more you play them, the better you'll get. If it's too much for you though, there are easier options.

What did you like better about the beta tuner? We almost completely reverted back to that. Only the changes that were unanimously seen as improvements were kept.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I can understand how the outdoor, festival atmosphere takes you out of the immersive feeling of more authentic hockey. While the game plays identical to club, some people can be distracted by the pre-game lineup dances and choices in clothing. Then there are also people that really like them. Since you see most everyone customizing their player with this, it seems they are pretty popular. Also, you're only seeing the wilder outfits in Threes and Ones. Those are meant to be arcade modes. You don't have to play them if they aren't immersive enough for you.

I definitely understand preferring the club atmosphere. It's more to my liking as well and I'll gladly play 6s with a mix of AI and humans just so I can play with my friends and have a higher level of competition. The AI are dependable for us and play quite well, but I also adjust the strategies and we all are good at staying in position. I know you don't want to play club without a full 6s team so I'd recommend finding some of the more skilled players in drop-ins and invite them to your club. That are run drop-ins together.

I hate to say it, but if you're taking a penalty 95% of the time when you poke, you need to learn how to poke better. Why is it that some players, myself included, can use the poke choke as one of their main defensive tools and not take a penalty the high majority of the time? Yeah, they happen, my pokes aren't always perfect, but out of all them, the successful pokes vastly outweigh the unsuccessful pokes.

If you're constantly taking penalties for blocking shots, that too is something you need to learn how to do better. You can't just lay on the ice indefinitely and let people skate over you to cause penalties. There's a brief window where this is possible, but if it happens it's because you went down too close to them. I block shots all the time. Most often by going down on a knee instead of dropping to the ice. You need to use these moves wisely and take out the puck rather than the player.

I don't find defense boring. It's rewarding to me, but I also use all the tools available. I have heard from many people that they don't use the poke check because they feel it's broken. Something isn't broken because you don't know how to use it. Could it be improved? Sure. Just like most everything in this game, improvements can be made. However, poke checking is a very viable way to defend.

If you have video of the puck passing through your stick or body when you're blocking a shot, please pass it on so it can be reviewed for issues.

If you're having trouble with All-Star and Superstar difficulty in offline modes, you have the option to customize those to your liking. For online play, like in Squad Battles for example, you can choose to play at a lower difficulty. All-Star and Superstar are supposed to be challenging levels of difficulty. Most likely, the more you play them, the better you'll get. If it's too much for you though, there are easier options.

What did you like better about the beta tuner? We almost completely reverted back to that. Only the changes that were unanimously seen as improvements were kept.

Pucks have been going through bodies and sticks forever. Heck ive watched the puck go through the goalies pad, glove, stick etc. Ive even seen the puck go in through the back of the net and count
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    EAaljo. Kinda had the feeling you'd say its user. Been playing this probably before u were born but never mind that fact. I'd sure like a copy of the game you have, seems vastly different than mine. Anyway, thx for answering but I'll just stop posting. The same old song and dance continues and its pretty tiresome. After 25 plus years, maybe its time for me to focus on spending my time doing something else. Keep on being perfect . I guess I'm not in the so called ELITE group as yourself.

No response necessary. Ty.

Nyi95 OUT.........
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    EAaljo. Kinda had the feeling you'd say its user. Been playing this probably before u were born but never mind that fact. I'd sure like a copy of the game you have, seems vastly different than mine. Anyway, thx for answering but I'll just stop posting. The same old song and dance continues and its pretty tiresome. After 25 plus years, maybe its time for me to focus on spending my time doing something else. Keep on being perfect . I guess I'm not in the so called ELITE group as yourself.

No response necessary. Ty.

Nyi95 OUT.........

Yup it's a sad state of affairs with this game

"Everyone loves the outfits, pokechecks are fine you just suck"

lol unreal these people

IMG-20190830-085436-01.jpg
    Post edited by de4c0n_fr05t on