EA Forums - Banner

PP vs PK in HUT

Prev13
I have a simple question that I would like a developer to answer. Why did EA make PP a PK AND PK a PP. I’m up 4 goals with 4 minutes left and OP takes two consecutive penalties. One would think the game is in the bag, not quite that simple.
I’m playing 5 on 3 and all of a sudden he scores 3 goals in 45 seconds.
I managed to dominate 55 minutes of the game and was just ridiculous. I won by one goal but what none sense.
I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @smokin666

Did you record those goals? That can help us breakdown what happened.
  • AreAreZ
    11 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Shorthanded scoring has been easier than PP scoring as long as I can remember (not sure if this was an issue prior 2004).
    In PP defencemen plays too way too offensive minded, PK players feels to be always faster than PP players... and lazy wristshots from blueline goes in with ridiculous shooting%.

EA, you should be able to see this from the data that in this game there is way too much shorthanded goals vs real world.

I actually feel sometimes that i'm a cheater when this happens... i'm 2-4 goals behind the opponent, then take stupid boarding/interference penalty...and bounce back to the game with two cheap shorhanded goals.

• @smokin666

Dude I’m too old to do complicated stuff lol.
    I shut off my dvr a while a go to limit delay to NHL games as of last season

I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • AreAreZ wrote: »
    Shorthanded scoring has been easier than PP scoring as long as I can remember (not sure if this was an issue prior 2004).
    In PP defencemen plays too way too offensive minded, PK players feels to be always faster than PP players... and lazy wristshots from blueline goes in with ridiculous shooting%.

EA, you should be able to see this from the data that in this game there is way too much shorthanded goals vs real world.

I actually feel sometimes that i'm a cheater when this happens... i'm 2-4 goals behind the opponent, then take stupid boarding/interference penalty...and bounce back to the game with two cheap shorhanded goals.

Agreed. Same here.

I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • smokin666 wrote: »
    I have a simple question that I would like a developer to answer. Why did EA make PP a PK AND PK a PP. I’m up 4 goals with 4 minutes left and OP takes two consecutive penalties. One would think the game is in the bag, not quite that simple.
    I’m playing 5 on 3 and all of a sudden he scores 3 goals in 45 seconds.
    I managed to dominate 55 minutes of the game and was just ridiculous. I won by one goal but what none sense.

I feel you old school. And u are correct it is much easier this year to score shorties. It seems your PK players always setup perfectly for scoring goals. Just yesterday i was playing Rivals about 4AM before work (yes. Im addicted) and was on the other side of that scenario. I was losing 3-2 with 1.23 left in third and my Ovi tripped Mcdavid causing a powerplay scenaio. I win the faceoff and P laine coast to coast - Goal top shelf. Then 14 seconds left .Krupp 1 timer over Bishops head . And i won 4-3.

For me i thought the same thing ..this never happens to me..
  • Same, did it the other day, guy was up 1 and killing the clock with 19 seconds left, tripped him on purpose won draw went end to end tied it then won short handed in ot first shift. CPU needs to read the ice much better. These random bursts of speed players get need to stop
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    smokin666 wrote: »
    @smokin666

My 86 year old grandpa told me there is no such thing as "old", just "older." ;)

If you're on Xbox One if you double-tap the middle Xbox button on your controller and press select, you'll be given some options to record clips in 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes. It uploads to your account online where you can share a link to us.
  • smokin666
    617 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    @smokin666

My 86 year old grandpa told me there is no such thing as "old", just "older." ;)

If you're on Xbox One if you double-tap the middle Xbox button on your controller and press select, you'll be given some options to record clips in 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes. It uploads to your account online where you can share a link to us.

Thank you for educating, I appreciate it. As I said earlier I shut off my DVR because and only because of this game and it’s unplayable lag. I don’t make things up it was a true story.
    In all seriousness, subject I brought up plus Momentum engine in this game makes it unplayable. If you want proof, just read this forum. People have been complaining about this for a few years.
    Quick story example:
    This weekend I take 97 into rivals. 3 players with trash cards were skating loops around mine and etc...
    I switch to my trash overall team of 78.
    I had the guy quit on me when I went up 6-0 against his super squad.
    He wrote me an angry message afterwards.
    But you know he was right. I felt bad for him as I am forced to play with trash instead of my Hockey Ultimate Team.
    The name and game play are definitely at crossroads.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • I would rather take a penalty and skate 4 on 4 than have a PP most times, especially if I'm winning the game. It's a fact, if you're winning and get a PP, the other team is getting at least 1 shorty.
  • I would rather take a penalty and skate 4 on 4 than have a PP most times, especially if I'm winning the game. It's a fact, if you're winning and get a PP, the other team is getting at least 1 shorty.

Lol. I do exactly the same.

I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    @smokin666

Thank you for educating, I appreciate it. As I said earlier I shut off my DVR because and only because of this game and it’s unplayable lag. I don’t make things up it was a true story.
    In all seriousness, subject I brought up plus Momentum engine in this game makes it unplayable. If you want proof, just read this forum. People have been complaining about this for a few years.
    Quick story example:
    This weekend I take 97 into rivals. 3 players with trash cards were skating loops around mine and etc...
    But you know he was right. I felt bad for him as I am forced to play with trash instead of my Hockey Ultimate Team.

There is no momentum engine. If you're more successful with a 78 rated team, that's great. You can play with whatever team works best for you, but lower-rated teams do not get any kind of boost to make them play beyond their ratings.
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

There is no momentum engine. If you're more successful with a 78 rated team, that's great. You can play with whatever team works best for you, but lower-rated teams do not get any kind of boost to make them play beyond their ratings.

What i think alot of people notice is when player ratings increase with overall growth. It effects every stat by a +1,+2...etc some stats like strength, balance and body checking effect how players feel as they move on the ice. These aforementioned stats being rasied can make your player feel less aglie and more awkward to turn and pivot. But more often then note it's connection/strategy/skill level that makes the feel of lower rated teams receiving a boost.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

Thank you for responding I appreciate it.
    So then what about my main question in regards to PP vs PK? Why is it the opposite?
    Btw no connectivity problems or lag just uneven play on the PW.

I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

So then what about my main question in regards to PP vs PK? Why is it the opposite?

I don’t have that problem. I score a lot on PK and don’t get scored on much. I sometime get scored on on PP, but score way more. I think it as only to do with the mentality of the players. When you are on PK, you usually play less aggressively and more defensively. You will give your opponent less scoring chances by playing more defense. And if your opponent get too confident being on PP, he might force plays and give really bad turnovers.

I always try to keep that in mind when I am playing PP and PK. It works for me most of the time and end up with realistic proportions of goals. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I don’t think so.

Offensive and Defensive Awareness may also be influencing how the players plays on PP. If they have low Defensive Awareness they may not play carefully and get caught out of position more.
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

I don’t have that problem. I score a lot on PK and don’t get scored on much. I sometime get scored on on PP, but score way more. I think it as only to do with the mentality of the players. When you are on PK, you usually play less aggressively and more defensively. You will give your opponent less scoring chances by playing more defense. And if your opponent get too confident being on PP, he might force plays and give really bad turnovers.

I always try to keep that in mind when I am playing PP and PK. It works for me most of the time and end up with realistic proportions of goals. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I don’t think so.

Offensive and Defensive Awareness may also be influencing how the players plays on PP. If they have low Defensive Awareness they may not play carefully and get caught out of position more.

Thank you for your input. I know how to play hockey and rules of the game.
    I was kind of hoping to hear from an EA official. If I was the only one having this issue then I can accept the fact that I’m just bad at the game. When enough people experience the same, then it’s purposely programmed into the game.

I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • HurricaneFza
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

More often than not, when I'm on the PP my players seem like they're nerfed. AI dont get open, passes are wild, shots miss or are very weak and the skating is off. As soon as the PP is over, everything I mentioned is improved and I usually score. This doesn't happen every PP, but it happens a lot to me. When my opponent gets the PP, I can see the same things happening to them and I can score easily.
    Post edited by HurricaneFza on
  • @smokin666

Seriously you have not noticed this? Do you play the game at all?
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

More often than not, when I'm on the PP my players seem like they're nerfed. AI dont get open, passes are wild, shots miss or are very weak and the skating is off. As soon as the PP is over, everything I mentioned is improved and I usually score. This doesn't happen every PP, but it happens a lot to me. When my opponent gets the PP, I can see the same things happening to them and I can score easily.

For the skating, it can be because the players on your PP lines are tired. Usually, the players used on PP are players from the top lines (they spend a lot of time on the ice). If you get a PP and they were on the ice a lot already, they might go slower because they are tired. Or maybe, you overused the speed burst (hustle) button. One easy way to know that is to look at the line energy near the end of the periods, if they are always in the red or really close, maybe you use the same players too often or use the boost too often. I personally don’t have that problem and my players skate always as fast as their ratings, unless I do the two things that I pointed out.

For the players not open or bad shots, I would look into the players shooting stats, their offensive awareness and maybe your strategy on PP. Some players seems better on certain positions depending on their stats, it always depend on what you like to do with them too. Take me for exemple (and I am not perfect, just trying to help), I try to put players with higher accuracy and power at Center and Defense, to help when I take shot from farther, since those positions are the ones that usually stay farther from the net. If you see that one player doesn’t perform at a position, try changing it to another and if it doesn’t help, maybe he’s not the kind of player that you need for what you do. Offensive Awareness can also be part of the problem. A high attribute will help your AI controlled player to get open and many other stuffs. It really makes a difference choosing players with a high awareness vs a low awareness, even on defense. And finally, you can always try switching your strategy if the one that you use isn’t working against your opponent. Maybe they are playing good defense too...

At the end, there’s so many different variables that are part of the equation, that it is hard to tell what’s wrong without seeing how you play. One thing that I know for sure, and I am sure EA would confirm, is that there’s no programmed advantage on PK. It is all about how you setup your team and how you use it.
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

For the skating, it can be because the players on your PP lines are tired. Usually, the players used on PP are players from the top lines (they spend a lot of time on the ice). If you get a PP and they were on the ice a lot already, they might go slower because they are tired. Or maybe, you overused the speed burst (hustle) button. One easy way to know that is to look at the line energy near the end of the periods, if they are always in the red or really close, maybe you use the same players too often or use the boost too often. I personally don’t have that problem and my players skate always as fast as their ratings, unless I do the two things that I pointed out.

For the players not open or bad shots, I would look into the players shooting stats, their offensive awareness and maybe your strategy on PP. Some players seems better on certain positions depending on their stats, it always depend on what you like to do with them too. Take me for exemple (and I am not perfect, just trying to help), I try to put players with higher accuracy and power at Center and Defense, to help when I take shot from farther, since those positions are the ones that usually stay farther from the net. If you see that one player doesn’t perform at a position, try changing it to another and if it doesn’t help, maybe he’s not the kind of player that you need for what you do. Offensive Awareness can also be part of the problem. A high attribute will help your AI controlled player to get open and many other stuffs. It really makes a difference choosing players with a high awareness vs a low awareness, even on defense. And finally, you can always try switching your strategy if the one that you use isn’t working against your opponent. Maybe they are playing good defense too...

At the end, there’s so many different variables that are part of the equation, that it is hard to tell what’s wrong without seeing how you play. One thing that I know for sure, and I am sure EA would confirm, is that there’s no programmed advantage on PK. It is all about how you setup your team and how you use it.

I posted my team, I think you seen it. My PP is 94 ovi-95 McDavid-asg Huberdeau, PP 2 is DD laine-wn zavagrody-DD malkin. The DD have boosted off awareness but you cant tell. I dont thinknits a stamina issue. They could be tired or fresh, during the PP everything is off, as soon as it's over they are back to normal.

I'm sure they didnt program it like that either but it definitely gets wonky most times.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    @smokin666

Quick story example:

The PP and the PK are not reversed. There are some good suggestions in this thread that can help with your special teams. As always though, video helps explain your issues.

In my experience, I score more on the PP thank the PK. I play a pretty conservative PK though so it's not easy for them to score. I don't chase for hits and spend most of the PK trying to cut off their passing/shooting lanes. For the PP, I move the puck and try to pull their players out of position to open up better scoring chances. It just depends on what lanes they give me. Maybe there's a screen I can take advantage of. One timers, of course, are great, but I just look for what my opponent is giving to me and try to take advantage of it.