EA Forums - Banner

Kicked for poor team play

2Next

Replies

• All this stuff goes on in xbox land too. Not often but I've been kicked for a couple early penalties and a few faceoff losses. It seems like if you don't throw checks you can't recover from a bad early start.

Meanwhile I've watched goalies go entire periods not in the crease and intentionally taking minors to get teammates in the box for them. Players who are upset you won't give them the puck everytime can go hang out offsides seemingly as long as they want without punishment. Goons can go take 5 interference penalties per period as long as they throw some legal hits too.

I think the algorithm and the weighting need to be revised and maybe a sprinkle of logic added.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    no714k14a9h8.jpg
    hh3bbfncwgee.jpg
    Lol picture says it all. Bad players all around but one gem. No fighting but 20 mins in penalties. He played ld but just sprinted up spamming hits on defense or call for puck entire game. Never kicked.

As you see, team grade of 25%... Way below an F
  • EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    no714k14a9h8.jpg
    hh3bbfncwgee.jpg
    Lol picture says it all. Bad players all around but one gem. No fighting but 20 mins in penalties. He played ld but just sprinted up spamming hits on defense or call for puck entire game. Never kicked.

Thanks for the feedback here. Obviously that's not the type of play we want happening. I can completely understand the frustration. I'll pass this on to the dev team.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    no714k14a9h8.jpg
    hh3bbfncwgee.jpg

Thanks for the feedback here. Obviously that's not the type of play we want happening. I can completely understand the frustration. I'll pass this on to the dev team.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
  • Why are we getting our hopes up as if they'll change it? We've been complaining about this for the last 7 years lol
  • Why are we getting our hopes up as if they'll change it? We've been complaining about this for the last 7 years lol

exactly ... what i really want is for them to increase the "idle" part of the grading system so every time i have to sneeze and blow my nose I don't get pushed straight to an F grade.

exactly ... what i really want is for them to increase the "idle" part of the grading system so every time i have to sneeze and blow my nose I don't get pushed straight to an F grade.

I guess it's tough for EA to decipher between a troll and someone who had their controller batteries die. Everyone in the game knows who the troll is though. We should have a vote to kick option.

I guess it's tough for EA to decipher between a troll and someone who had their controller batteries die. Everyone in the game knows who the troll is though. We should have a vote to kick option.

that will never happen. has never worked in any game ever. at least not that i've been a part of and i've been in a ton. not an in game vote to kick. you can't put the power in the public's hands to restrict a consumers right to play. so much abuse would happen non stop. Think about drop ins, 90% of the players are complete morons. you want to put it in there hands the decision of who is allowed to play and who isnt? Not to mention this isn't a game where if someone leaves someone else comes in. It would become a game within a game "who can we get booted?"

WOULD YOU STOP......being so logical? It hurts my head lol.
  • This game has me besides myself with the absolute garbage quality EA has turned this into. Poor team play is broken. Competitive matchmaking is absolutely trash. Silvers mixed with the highest ranks. No penalty for abandoning match. Drop ins go from 6v6 to 5v6 to 2v6 to 2v2. People do this every single game. Even the penalties are just awful. Poke the puck away from someone and they get tripped. Replay shows they weren’t even close to the stick. It’s just a train wreck. The conclusion I’ve come to is that they genuinely just do not care about this game. I can’t even play cooperative seasons with a friend offline to avoid the mind numbing online play. I can’t even believe I paid money for a broken beta release half baked shell of a game. I’m just so pissed that I’m definitely buying battlefield 6 regardless of how burned I’ve been by this game. At least it will come with extremely low expectations.
  • Just finished a drop in.

We lost 5-3.

I had a hat trick.

Our C was 0 and 51 in faceoffs! This C should’ve been booted for “poor” teamplay after losing the first 20 or so at least along with his poor defensive play and constantly turning the puck over at the offensive blue line.
  • SahioX
    101 posts Member
    Why are we getting our hopes up as if they'll change it? We've been complaining about this for the last 7 years lol

Maybe I have too much faith in EA but they can know when someone is out of position as BAP is quite good at it.

THings that should gets you kicked 'instantly'
    - Staying offside (i.e not moving toward the Blue Line) on a delay offside. Some leyway should be allowed, but after 10-15 sec of 'staying offside' should get you kicked.
    - Goalies that skate out and allow more than 2 goals or 2 penalties.
    - Players that challenges for fights more than 5-6 times.
    - 2 delay or unsportsmanlike penalties.
    - 3rd fight
    - D players being above their Winger too many times
    - W players being on the wrong side too many times

A kick should be done in two folds - first time should be a bench. The coach removes you from the ice for a 5 or 10 min period. The next time you go anything thing along the list above, should result in a Ban.

IF you quit while Benched, you should also be given a out of game penalty - removal of all Build Perks and a 70-cap on all Attributes for 1 game. The debuff should last until a complete game with a B+ Team Play.

Each time you get bench/kicked afterwards should give you a temp ban of 1h, doubling each time.

There are MANY MANY ways they can actually cull on trolls and not make OTP such a mess...

Also, I know it is the NHL rules (players on the ice), but can RW be spared from Goalies' tantrum?

The Algorithm should never replace a Player by a CPU, regardless of who was on the ice. Also, for when RD and LD takes a penalty, it should be RW and LW accordingly.

• thebrazenhead75
    243 posts Member
    edited April 24
    SahioX wrote: »
    Why are we getting our hopes up as if they'll change it? We've been complaining about this for the last 7 years lol

Maybe I have too much faith in EA but they can know when someone is out of position as BAP is quite good at it.

- Staying offside (i.e not moving toward the Blue Line) on a delay offside. Some leyway should be allowed, but after 10-15 sec of 'staying offside' should get you kicked.
    - 3rd fight

A kick should be done in two folds - first time should be a bench. The coach removes you from the ice for a 5 or 10 min period. The next time you go anything thing along the list above, should result in a Ban.

IF you quit while Benched, you should also be given a out of game penalty - removal of all Build Perks and a 70-cap on all Attributes for 1 game. The debuff should last until a complete game with a B+ Team Play.

Each time you get bench/kicked afterwards should give you a temp ban of 1h, doubling each time.

There are MANY MANY ways they can actually cull on trolls and not make OTP such a mess...

Also, I know it is the NHL rules (players on the ice), but can RW be spared from Goalies' tantrum?

The Algorithm should never replace a Player by a CPU, regardless of who was on the ice. Also, for when RD and LD takes a penalty, it should be RW and LW accordingly.

I like a lot of those ideas!

The vote to kick would be a great start!

I like the idea of removing traits and specialties. To add as a punishment I’d make them complete training drills to be able to play again.

The coaches “team play” has to be improved though because even a veteran good player like myself sometimes has difficulty achieving a B+ grade because of my play style. I use a small Sniper build as a RW and an Offensive build as a Dman. I maybe throw a couple of hits a game which only give me a +2. I also don’t take a lot of penalties and it’s what only a +2 each period for not taking a penalty but when I do it’s -7. Drawing a penalty is what a +4? An offsides (even accidentally and/or due to a bad play by one of your teammates) is. -7. You can see why it’s sometimes hard to achieve a B+ or higher in “team play”.

The RP system needs improvement also. Although encouraging playing a “team game” I shouldn’t be penalized and receive negative RP’s when I have a good to great game but my team loses due to poor teammates and/or trolls. Last night I had three games in a row with three separate trolls. Lost each game. Two of them had RP’s under 16,000 and the other one had an RP of less than 6,000!
    😏😮

Maybe EA should implement some sort of ban if a players RP gets too low as such and then maybe make them complete training drills to bring their RP up to a minimal amount to play a drop in again. What is 16,000 for the lowest bronze?

More than 2 penalties by a Goalie should get an automatic kick from a game!

Remove goalie fights also. Just unnecessary and the RW is punished and also the rest of the team when the RW is sometimes your best player.

I’d also like to see some sort of troll indicator or flag system implemented. That way everyone knows who they are and for them to decide if they want to join a game they’re in or not. I know the well known ones but not everyone does so usually when I see one in a lobby I go on the mic and warn everyone else before I leave. 👍. There are also always new trolls and its sometimes hard to keep track and remember them all.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4769 posts EA Community Manager

- 3rd fight

Great submissions you listed, @SahioX!

I wanted to highlight these and add some of my thoughts here.

D players being above their winger too many times resulting in an penalty might make the game feel to predictable. Even though they're not supposed to do that, if that rule was in place you are restricting the freedom of strategy for a team and also making the game predictable in a sense where if you see a D player playing above a W on the opposite side, you could continue playing conservatively until it forces a penalty. One solution might create a new problem, more puck ragging.

It might be virtually impossible to enforce kicks on players playing the wrong side. I can also see accidental kicks when the players weren't intentionally doing it but were forced to because of game flow. If the feature doesn't work 100% as intended, it could be a serious frustration point. If someone is new to hockey and doesn't quite understand what side they're supposed to be on and they're kicked out, that may not incentivize them to learn more about positioning but could cause them to give up. It also limits strategy for a team (see previous response for outcome).

My only concern with the removal of perks is that will discourage people to give up. If you're suddenly handicapped because of a previous game it's not motivating to play another one knowing you're going to be less effective. You also become liability for the whole team in a team sport. Even though these ideas are in good intentions to encourage good behavior, what is designed in theory doesn't mean players will adopt it that way. They might go the opposite route and decide it's not worth their time with all the potential obstacles.
  • SahioX
    101 posts Member

- 3rd fight

Great submissions you listed, @SahioX!

I wanted to highlight these and add some of my thoughts here.

D players being above their winger too many times resulting in an penalty might make the game feel to predictable. Even though they're not supposed to do that, if that rule was in place you are restricting the freedom of strategy for a team and also making the game predictable in a sense where if you see a D player playing above a W on the opposite side, you could continue playing conservatively until it forces a penalty. One solution might create a new problem, more puck ragging.

It might be virtually impossible to enforce kicks on players playing the wrong side. I can also see accidental kicks when the players weren't intentionally doing it but were forced to because of game flow. If the feature doesn't work 100% as intended, it could be a serious frustration point. If someone is new to hockey and doesn't quite understand what side they're supposed to be on and they're kicked out, that may not incentivize them to learn more about positioning but could cause them to give up. It also limits strategy for a team (see previous response for outcome).

My only concern with the removal of perks is that will discourage people to give up. If you're suddenly handicapped because of a previous game it's not motivating to play another one knowing you're going to be less effective. You also become liability for the whole team in a team sport. Even though these ideas are in good intentions to encourage good behavior, what is designed in theory doesn't mean players will adopt it that way. They might go the opposite route and decide it's not worth their time with all the potential obstacles.

If that is the case, then the Team Play (other than Idle) kick should be removed.

As of right now, you can get away with D playing wing and giving up breakaways. While I understand that sometimes it flows that way, and your D will pinch or the wingers will cross and invert in the O-zone. But there are signs that the game clearly know (using the position arrow and relative position of other players).

When I talk about a penalty, I'm talking about a minus to your grade. I'm also implying that you get a free pass. EX : RD carries the puck up on a dump and chase but is way ahead of his Winger that got laid out at the red line. He forechecks and the play turns around - giving a 2 on 1. They score. The D shouldn'T get a bad grade, but a warning of 'careful on your pinch' type. If it happens again, then it is a pattern. But Winger player should also get a Team Play minus too for not covering your team mate.

I'm sure there are ways to entice players to play a more a team-oriented games. Instead of having a Vote to kick, why not have an Star System that would help the community bring team players forward. Automatically given 3 stars, players that are not cooperating, calling from the AI G or constantly, calling for fights, etc. can get 'bad rep' by players after the game. It would be automatic, but Positive instead of a Vote kick that prevents you from playing.

Low score = low overall team play in general.