EA Forums - Banner

S. Battle comeback wins and other observations

Prev1
66 year old guy here again with his HUT adventures..... Just had to share the excitement I've been getting with this game lately. Recently I decided to push myself and try playing higher levels against teams to make it more of a challenge. For me that means playing an 83 team on All Star or an 89+ team on pro. In the last two days I've had 3 comeback wins from 2, 3 and just now, 4 goals down. So satisfying to feel you're out of the game and then chip away until you have a chance to win.

I notice a pattern playing these offline games in that they are hardest at the start and get progressively easier as the game wears on. Must be something to do with fatigue. My old reflexes have trouble on higher skill levels in the first period. I'm usually happy to get out of the first at 0-0.

It's been great this year building up my HUT team. S Battles has made it possible as I have always shied away from online games (probably because I lose too often) but S Battles has made it possible to really pile up the coins to buy players plus it's given me a reason to play and variety of opponents.
Totally shifted me over this year from Franchise mode, which I've abandoned.
Bottom line I'm having a blast with the game this year. :):):)

Replies

• 66 year old guy here again with his HUT adventures..... Just had to share the excitement I've been getting with this game lately. Recently I decided to push myself and try playing higher levels against teams to make it more of a challenge. For me that means playing an 83 team on All Star or an 89+ team on pro. In the last two days I've had 3 comeback wins from 2, 3 and just now, 4 goals down. So satisfying to feel you're out of the game and then chip away until you have a chance to win.

I notice a pattern playing these offline games in that they are hardest at the start and get progressively easier as the game wears on. Must be something to do with fatigue. My old reflexes have trouble on higher skill levels in the first period. I'm usually happy to get out of the first at 0-0.

It's been great this year building up my HUT team. S Battles has made it possible as I have always shied away from online games (probably because I lose too often) but S Battles has made it possible to really pile up the coins to buy players plus it's given me a reason to play and variety of opponents.

If I'm being honest, even with its flaws this year, I haven't played daily in an NHL title since probably nhl 14 on the 360. First time I've actually wanted to play every day.

I even am enjoying playing squad battles on Superstar (never enjoyed playing the ai previously). I'd like to play online more often but I've been stuck with a stupid 1% packet loss on my Xbox, so I Haven't been able to get as many online games as I'd like.

There was a rocky start to the year for me, but it's been the game I play 90% of the time this year.
  • I'm also here for Squads! It has been a long time coming.

I bought my Xbox for x-mas 2018 and picked up NHL18 that same day. My last console before that was Dreamcast and the last game was NHL 2K2. I do play with skill stick but Pro is as difficult as I can go.

I notice that pattern at the end of periods not the game per se. There's a bunch of posts about synergies and ratings and if they matter or not but I favor players with high Endurance and/or Duribiltiy. I set my strategies to limit the 'hustle' so my guys stay fresh deep into the period. I also force faceoffs by offsides or keeping the goalie from playing the puck so I can get full line changes every 2 - 3 minutes of game time. The game clock in the 3rd also runs different where it slows down later in the period so that last minute takes almost a full minute of the 4.

I don't play online and before Squads I'd have wrapped up all the challenges that I could complete by now and really be done with HUT. Events didn't always have daily challenges and I struggle with many of the objectives and since that was the only way to get packs in previous years I'd never get any.

NHL 18 was the last with position lock and that was the only way I can complete objectives. I still can't complete many of the challenges and the Winternational was the only event I was able to complete so far this year. I think that it ran for a month is how I did it and I'm still kind of hurt that EA never came through with the pack I won. It was the 1st All-star difficulty Challenge I ever completed without position lock and I never got my reward :-(

Now with Squads I get packs and coins and I can use contracts and healing items for the 1st time. Plus the players collect stats. I just wish we'd be the home team once in a while.
  • I have enjoyed squad battles as well. It is a great way to build your team with packs at the end of the week. I have also been playing Rivals quite a bit. So getting about 30000 coins a week for diamond level. I still have a tough time in squad playing anything over pro. But what I like is that we have so many ways to build a team. I refuse to pay for packs, so this really helps in building a team.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @NIcklaus1962

Thank you for updating us on your HUT adventures since your last post the community here enjoyed, glad you're having a blast in the mode.

Squad Battles is a great mode to play if you want to take a break from the intensity of online H2H. We've seen that as consistent feedback across other sports titles of ours as well. Those coins you are earning to help get the other items on the team you want also help make it that much more enjoyable too. :)

Good luck this week!
  • 66 year old guy here again with his HUT adventures..... Just had to share the excitement I've been getting with this game lately. Recently I decided to push myself and try playing higher levels against teams to make it more of a challenge. For me that means playing an 83 team on All Star or an 89+ team on pro. In the last two days I've had 3 comeback wins from 2, 3 and just now, 4 goals down. So satisfying to feel you're out of the game and then chip away until you have a chance to win.

I thought I was an old guy playing this game at 55, nice to see I’m not.
    This is the first year I didn’t get the game day one. After last year I was getting sick of hut online, not always the game but the people playing the game. I waited till beginning of January this year, after playing squad battles I really wished I would have bought the game earlier.
    I find that the difference between pro and all star is to great, I beat a team on pro by 10-12 goals but can’t win against the same team on all star. I have always found the nhl series to be like this. My opinion is that we need another level between pro and all star.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    66 year old guy here again with his HUT adventures..... Just had to share the excitement I've been getting with this game lately. Recently I decided to push myself and try playing higher levels against teams to make it more of a challenge. For me that means playing an 83 team on All Star or an 89+ team on pro. In the last two days I've had 3 comeback wins from 2, 3 and just now, 4 goals down. So satisfying to feel you're out of the game and then chip away until you have a chance to win.

I thought I was an old guy playing this game at 55, nice to see I’m not.
    This is the first year I didn’t get the game day one. After last year I was getting sick of hut online, not always the game but the people playing the game. I waited till beginning of January this year, after playing squad battles I really wished I would have bought the game earlier.
    I find that the difference between pro and all star is to great, I beat a team on pro by 10-12 goals but can’t win against the same team on all star. I have always found the nhl series to be like this. My opinion is that we need another level between pro and all star.

The best way to combat the AI offense is to not chase for hits. In your zone, try to just cut off their passing and shooting lanes. When you chase, this opens lanes they use for this quick passes and snipes. This is the only time I'll ever say it's ok to skill zone. An all AI team is tough to beat on All-Star and Superstar. If you just control a defender in your zone and let the rest of your team pressure the carrier, eventually they will turn it over from taking a bad shot or making a bad pass. Try using the Containt Puck or Protect Net strategies. You also may want to use Collapsing. Personally, I stick to Normal and that keeps my guys applying some pressure, but not over doing it and giving up a lot of good shots and passes.
  • Update since my OP:
    Seems the game has got a bit harder the last while, I don't know why. I used to be able to win games over teams in the mid 70s on All Star but not now. I had a 94 team 4-0 on pro but they came back and won in OT.
    Very mixed feelings about the true worth of goalies in this game. I heard low aggression can be a good thing...anybody else notice this?
    I managed to get to Elite 2 for the first time last week....got 8 gold collectibles I wasn't expecting!
    My team is getting pretty stacked with players around 89-91 but I still haven't broken into the higher echelon of 200K plus players. I've been concentrating on getting as many synergies as possible and have TK and SP that apply to all players plus most of the other ones. It's a hard game though, no matter how good your players are, it's mostly you and how much focus and reaction time you can apply.
    By far this is the first time I have ever put in a lot of time in HUT and Squad Battles is the reason.
    My best game recently was playing an 82 team on All Star and scoring a shorty to win in OT.
    I live for those kind of games.
    Very fun.
  • Update since my OP:
    Seems the game has got a bit harder the last while, I don't know why. I used to be able to win games over teams in the mid 70s on All Star but not now. I had a 94 team 4-0 on pro but they came back and won in OT.
    Very mixed feelings about the true worth of goalies in this game. I heard low aggression can be a good thing...anybody else notice this?
    I managed to get to Elite 2 for the first time last week....got 8 gold collectibles I wasn't expecting!
    My team is getting pretty stacked with players around 89-91 but I still haven't broken into the higher echelon of 200K plus players. I've been concentrating on getting as many synergies as possible and have TK and SP that apply to all players plus most of the other ones. It's a hard game though, no matter how good your players are, it's mostly you and how much focus and reaction time you can apply.
    By far this is the first time I have ever put in a lot of time in HUT and Squad Battles is the reason.
    My best game recently was playing an 82 team on All Star and scoring a shorty to win in OT.
    Very fun.

The game isn’t harder, the teams that you’re facing are better or just setup better (strategies and players). Not all 70 overall teams are equal, you can have one that use good low overall players or just that it is setup perfectly against you (the perfect counter strategies, etc...).

The goalies are indeed weak. Even high-end ones will let some fluke goals go in the net. A lot of players (excluding me) love low aggression tall goalies. They will move less and due to their size block a big portion of the net. That being said, it depends on your defensive style. Me, I prefer more average height (6’2”-6’4”) and higher attributes with an aggression around 78-84. I love 94 Hextall and 94 Price to give you two exemples. I like that they get out of their zone during breakaways to add pressure to the forwards and use my defencemen to put some more behind them. If you play against good gamers, if you don’t put pressure they will score (Superstar and All Star AI too).

And yes, the team doesn’t matter as much as it used too. It is more about your reaction time and thumbs-skills. It is easier with a high over team to win, but it is not guaranteed. Up until you get to All-Star difficultly, you can pretty just play without thinking about your next move. The game is super slow and AI not very aggressive, so you can move around with almost no restriction. When you get to the higher levels, you need to be one step or more ahead always, if you want to win. The AI is so quick to react and have better attributes than you, so you can’t give them any good chances. The best thing is to pressure them very intensely in the neutral zone, they will then dump the puck and you will get it first most of the time. You just need to be careful and not let them go by you while pressuring them, because they will have an easy breakaway or 2-3 on 1.
  • Roy Master Icon as been in my net since September and I can't be happier. I'm hoarding Collectables and Gold Players to roll his upgrade set whenever it comes out. I never liked him as a player but he's the best I ever had in HUT.

I've upped the difficulty to All-Star in most games in Squads. I had no idea it would be so much easier in Squads than the Daily or Weekly Challenges. I'm still unable to clear some of the Pro difficulty challenges and can't even win a face off or get shots away in an All-star challenges but Squads seems to play a bit easier. Not sure I want to waste a game and try Superstar but I might if I draw another -75 team.

Be careful chasing synergies and make sure they help the player. Team Syns are great but I'm still seeing some TN cards that don't even boost to 90+ when activated. Many of the Master Set players of late seem to have Individual Syns that won't help the Master item but could help another.

I'm also loving all these 90+ Off and Def teams that are playing Silver and even Bronze goalies.
  • Update since my OP:
    Very fun.

The game isn’t harder, the teams that you’re facing are better or just setup better (strategies and players). Not all 70 overall teams are equal, you can have one that use good low overall players or just that it is setup perfectly against you (the perfect counter strategies, etc...).

The goalies are indeed weak. Even high-end ones will let some fluke goals go in the net. A lot of players (excluding me) love low aggression tall goalies. They will move less and due to their size block a big portion of the net. That being said, it depends on your defensive style. Me, I prefer more average height (6’2”-6’4”) and higher attributes with an aggression around 78-84. I love 94 Hextall and 94 Price to give you two exemples. I like that they get out of their zone during breakaways to add pressure to the forwards and use my defencemen to put some more behind them. If you play against good gamers, if you don’t put pressure they will score (Superstar and All Star AI too).

And yes, the team doesn’t matter as much as it used too. It is more about your reaction time and thumbs-skills. It is easier with a high over team to win, but it is not guaranteed. Up until you get to All-Star difficultly, you can pretty just play without thinking about your next move. The game is super slow and AI not very aggressive, so you can move around with almost no restriction. When you get to the higher levels, you need to be one step or more ahead always, if you want to win. The AI is so quick to react and have better attributes than you, so you can’t give them any good chances. The best thing is to pressure them very intensely in the neutral zone, they will then dump the puck and you will get it first most of the time. You just need to be careful and not let them go by you while pressuring them, because they will have an easy breakaway or 2-3 on 1.

Thanks for the advice. I have just got the 90 All Star Markstrom and think he's pretty decent. Also had the Trade Deadline 91 Mike Smith recently and liked him. When I say 'like' it's pretty subjective...just seems like they make some good saves at times, but it's really hard to judge.
    I really have gone synergy crazy, I guess because it's the last frontier before you get into the 200k plus players. Don't like the idea someone says that too many can actually be worse. It shouldn't be!!
    On the game difficulty, I hope your right because I hate the idea that there's some hidden factor that EA is throwing at you unfairly...no one likes that idea.
  • Update since my OP:
    Very fun.

Thanks for the advice. I have just got the 90 All Star Markstrom and think he's pretty decent. Also had the Trade Deadline 91 Mike Smith recently and liked him. When I say 'like' it's pretty subjective...just seems like they make some good saves at times, but it's really hard to judge.
    I really have gone synergy crazy, I guess because it's the last frontier before you get into the 200k plus players. Don't like the idea someone says that too many can actually be worse. It shouldn't be!!
    On the game difficulty, I hope your right because I hate the idea that there's some hidden factor that EA is throwing at you unfairly...no one likes that idea.

Unless somebody else said it also, I was the one saying that about the synergies and still think it (I can guarantee that it is true). If you can have a player that is 99 with no synergies activated it is better than any player with synergies. Synergies works and the boost are really added, the only problem is the delay that they create. It is manageable and because most people have many activated these days, it is less noticeable and impacting than at the beginning of the season. Even just by switching from PS4 slim to PS4 pro, you see a difference in the input with the same team. The game is pushing the processing limit of the console and after a certain amount of synergies become activated, you start to feel it in the input and even AI have delayed reactions. Cleaning your console and making sure that you don’t have any apps making it worst is important, but still doesn’t solve the problem. The synergies are pretty much the only reason why some people like lower rated cards. Yes, the lower rated players miss more shoot, etc... But when you play online and already have to deal with the server delay, if you had another delay (even a really small one), it can throw you off so much that you’ll loose the game. Anyway, like I said, it is less a problem now because most people have multiple synergies activated, but you can still see it when you face somebody with less synergies. Their players react quicker and if you can’t adjust and react quicker (adjust your timing), you get destroyed.
  • If you can have a player that is 99 with no synergies activated it is better than any player with synergies. Synergies works and the boost are really added, the only problem is the delay that they create.

Where did you find that synergies create delays?

I also go the other way on there being a difference between a boosted rating and a natural rating. A rating is a rating however you get there and my anecdotal evidence shows no difference.

As for some of the newer observations I've noted of late; with current events in the Seattle area the last few weeks I've played more than usual and have been Elite 2 or 3. Feeling pretty strong but the extra packs yield nothing, of course.

The ratings 'decay' as you play a game and it looks to me they decay for the full '60' minutes and not period to period. I.e. the 99 to start the game will not be a 99 at the start of the 3rd period. This is also just for that single game played and does not carry over to the next. Every game is its own and your players will always be starting from 100% their capacity.

I notice in game actions, like winning a fight, boost more than just the energy bar. If you get a 3 goal lead (the most dangeruos lead in hockey) and you have low discipline players they're going to lose focus and float around. I've also noted that after a fight I want my grind line back out there cause they always seem to score the shift after the fight, win or lose.

Early and late goals also seem to change the flow. If I get one on the 1st shift, I can usually keep up solid pressure for 10 to 15 minutes of game time. If I get a late goal the start of the next period the opponent is on fire and I'll need to ride the wave and try to wait it out without making any mistakes.

Own goals and goalie turnovers are killers. Give one up and you better go win a fight next shift or 2 because your guys are flat for a good 20 or 30 minutes of game time.

I've also noted that the opponents are higher rated the further up the ladder you go. I don't see any squad below 82 in my options once I break out of Pro. I seem to be able to play on All-star difficulty through all the opponents when I'm rated Pro or below but once I get to Elite the next set of opponents are too tough for me on All-star and have to drop back to Pro difficulty.

I'm not crazy about this week's feature squad after getting a NHL player last week. Any chance we can get a player from the Euro leagues as a featured squad?? Better yet! Get a player from one of the CHL leagues. They probably really play NHL20 and would have a real lineup we might face online to play against.

Anyway, EA. Squad Battles are great and please keep it in the game!!
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    If you can have a player that is 99 with no synergies activated it is better than any player with synergies. Synergies works and the boost are really added, the only problem is the delay that they create.

I also go the other way on there being a difference between a boosted rating and a natural rating. A rating is a rating however you get there and my anecdotal evidence shows no difference.

As for some of the newer observations I've noted of late; with current events in the Seattle area the last few weeks I've played more than usual and have been Elite 2 or 3. Feeling pretty strong but the extra packs yield nothing, of course.

The ratings 'decay' as you play a game and it looks to me they decay for the full '60' minutes and not period to period. I.e. the 99 to start the game will not be a 99 at the start of the 3rd period. This is also just for that single game played and does not carry over to the next. Every game is its own and your players will always be starting from 100% their capacity.

I notice in game actions, like winning a fight, boost more than just the energy bar. If you get a 3 goal lead (the most dangeruos lead in hockey) and you have low discipline players they're going to lose focus and float around. I've also noted that after a fight I want my grind line back out there cause they always seem to score the shift after the fight, win or lose.

Early and late goals also seem to change the flow. If I get one on the 1st shift, I can usually keep up solid pressure for 10 to 15 minutes of game time. If I get a late goal the start of the next period the opponent is on fire and I'll need to ride the wave and try to wait it out without making any mistakes.

Own goals and goalie turnovers are killers. Give one up and you better go win a fight next shift or 2 because your guys are flat for a good 20 or 30 minutes of game time.

I've also noted that the opponents are higher rated the further up the ladder you go. I don't see any squad below 82 in my options once I break out of Pro. I seem to be able to play on All-star difficulty through all the opponents when I'm rated Pro or below but once I get to Elite the next set of opponents are too tough for me on All-star and have to drop back to Pro difficulty.

I'm not crazy about this week's feature squad after getting a NHL player last week. Any chance we can get a player from the Euro leagues as a featured squad?? Better yet! Get a player from one of the CHL leagues. They probably really play NHL20 and would have a real lineup we might face online to play against.

The only way that ratings decay is through fatigue. The only way ratings get boosted is if you win a fight and remove fatigue.

Early and late goals have absolutely 0 effect on the flow.

Own goals and goalie turnovers do not change ratings at all.

I always play on Superstar and regularly have opponents in the high 70s. My team is 94 rated overall.
  • Do you still see teams in the 70s when your ranked Elite??

My notes have no opponents under 82 when I'm Elite. Like I said, I only made Elite for the 1st time the season that ended February 20 so I don't have a large sample size. I typically play about 8 to 12 games a week and just recently been playing about 20 a week since the virus outbreak here in Seattle.

I'm also a 94, that's a good number...

It's a bummer about the fights because I've been starting a bunch more of late and it really seems to be helping me. Especially after giving up a bad goal. I was considered a floater in my playing days (Don Cherry called me 'light' in a highlight once) and like the irony of having a HUT team that plays like the Bullies or Bad Bruins of the 70s.

I can't even get control of the puck in Superstar, I'm jealous of anyone that can rock it regularly.
  • If you can have a player that is 99 with no synergies activated it is better than any player with synergies. Synergies works and the boost are really added, the only problem is the delay that they create.

I just tried it on two different console (PS4 pro and PS4 slim) and on two different monitors, and felt it on every attempts. It is not a crazy delay, just slight delay, that can throw your timing off if you’re not able to synchronize to it. Offline, it is more manageable since you only have that delay, but Online if your connection is delayed too, then you have more and after a certain point, it makes it almost unplayable.

So here’s what I did. I’ve deleted and clean both my PS4 (Pro and Slim). Deleted all other games, etc... They were as they were when they were out of the box, as empty as they can be. I went in HUT and bought two teams with all the same players (Low OVR with no synergy, High Overall with one Synergies) and a third team (High Overall with 10+ Synergies). Tried SB games with all the team on both console and two different monitors. First the low overall team, it felt great no delay, but the players were missing shots and were just not very good (which is understandable since they are low overall). Then changed the players for their better cards while keeping just one synergy activated, there’s was still no delay while poking, etc... the team was playing way better due to the higher attributes as expected. And finally, tried the high overall team with +10 synergies, there was a delay. It was manageable (I am not the best player, but I play on Superstar and am able to get Top 100 without replaying any games, so not the worst either) so I can handle that slight delay. I tried removing synergies one by one and the less you have the less delay you get.

Anyway, that’s pretty much what I did. I am pretty sure that the game is too demanding and the console is running full speed but when you add too many synergies you get the delay due to the additional ressources required to add the boosts. On the PS4 Pro, you can add more synergies before feeling it, which is normal since it is more powerful than the slim.
  • Do you still see teams in the 70s when your ranked Elite??

My notes have no opponents under 82 when I'm Elite. Like I said, I only made Elite for the 1st time the season that ended February 20 so I don't have a large sample size. I typically play about 8 to 12 games a week and just recently been playing about 20 a week since the virus outbreak here in Seattle.

I've seen no difference in what opponents I get based on where I happen to be on the "ladder" at a given time. Most days, I see one under 80 squad, two 80-85, and one higher than 85. Lately I've gotten two over 85 more often (had two 90+ tonight), but that makes sense as people's squads are getting higher and higher overalls. Only on rare occasion have I not gotten any under 80 opponents, and I haven't seen any correlation to where I happen to be on the ladder that day. Most weeks I finish at Elite 2, but I've gotten Elite 1 twice (including this past week).
  • [quote="boumbidiboum;c-

Unless somebody else said it also, I was the one saying that about the synergies and still think it (I can guarantee that it is true). If you can have a player that is 99 with no synergies activated it is better than any player with synergies. Synergies works and the boost are really added, the only problem is the delay that they create. It is manageable and because most people have many activated these days, it is less noticeable and impacting than at the beginning of the season. Even just by switching from PS4 slim to PS4 pro, you see a difference in the input with the same team. The game is pushing the processing limit of the console and after a certain amount of synergies become activated, you start to feel it in the input and even AI have delayed reactions. Cleaning your console and making sure that you don’t have any apps making it worst is important, but still doesn’t solve the problem. The synergies are pretty much the only reason why some people like lower rated cards. Yes, the lower rated players miss more shoot, etc... But when you play online and already have to deal with the server delay, if you had another delay (even a really small one), it can throw you off so much that you’ll loose the game. Anyway, like I said, it is less a problem now because most people have multiple synergies activated, but you can still see it when you face somebody with less synergies. Their players react quicker and if you can’t adjust and react quicker (adjust your timing), you get destroyed.

So what you're saying about delay and synergies wouldn't apply to playing SB offline? That's all I've been doing.
  • [

That's in interesting observation. So you're making the case that the team gets better than their overall rating when you level up? I routinely get to Elite 3 each week and I'm not sure I've noticed this. Will have to pay more attention. I have noticed that games vary even between similar overall rated teams, which I can only attribute to different strategies for the AI team.
    My general rule for what level to choose is that I play it on Pro for teams 83 or more and All Star for 82 or less. I do find it gets hard to beat teams on pro when they get up around 94 too.
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    [quote="boumbidiboum;c-

So what you're saying about delay and synergies wouldn't apply to playing SB offline? That's all I've been doing.

Yes, it does apply to SB also, but it is not a game changer as much as in Online games because you only have that slight delay to take in account and adjust to. It could throw you off if you change your team and add synergies, if you can’t adjust to it and press everything earlier than you normally would.
  • [

That's in interesting observation. So you're making the case that the team gets better than their overall rating when you level up? I routinely get to Elite 3 each week and I'm not sure I've noticed this. Will have to pay more attention. I have noticed that games vary even between similar overall rated teams, which I can only attribute to different strategies for the AI team.
    My general rule for what level to choose is that I play it on Pro for teams 83 or more and All Star for 82 or less. I do find it gets hard to beat teams on pro when they get up around 94 too.

They don’t. It is just a coincidence if you get better team when your higher ranked. I’ve finished Top 100 and just under it for most of the year without replaying games and still faced teams in the low 80s and 70s. Some week you get more good teams and other it’s the opposite. The games are randomly chosen and it is why you can’t always get number 1 every week, because it depends on your luck (on the teams that you get). Even if you finish all games with the perfect score, you’re not automatically going to be #1. You’ll be Top 100, but not always first.