EA Forums - Banner

Rivals problem.

2Next

Replies

• Tonysl79 wrote: »
    In sb on ss the second you turn the puck over in your zone the next immediate shot is almost always a guaranteed goal. Now if the computer turns it over you aren’t as lucky. Their goalie will save that immediate shot unless your up by 4 or 5 goals then your chance of the shot going in is much better. It’s scripted programming.

Its not scripted. They just cant program a.i. any better with current tech or something. So, instead of making the a.i. just smarter, they artificially increase difficulty by making them have superhuman abilities and reflexes. They can be beaten but nearly every one of their goals feels cheap, and i can call that theyre about to score about 10 seconds before it happens....every time.
  • EA_Aljo
    3061 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Well thats the problem. I set up realistically, cycle realistically and have amazing plays but i cannot beat their goalie in them. But, hell come shoot from just inside the blue line a very slow shot and my goalie will drop butterfly and open the 5 hole right up for the goal. This is not uncommon either.

This game doesn't reward cycling nowadays. Figure skating, the various glitch shots, and cross-crease one-timers are rewarded. It's sad, but it's no longer a hockey sim, it's an arcade game aimed at kids now.

Cycling is still a good way to create scoring chances. That's the style I personally play as I like to make a lot of passes and pull defenders out of position. Cross-crease one timers are up to you to defend. You need to anticipate them and cut off the passing lane or take out the passer. I prefer cutting off the lane to the shooter. If you chase for hits, you're going to leave guys wide open on the back door.

What glitch shots are you experiencing? The short side isn't a glitch. Shooting far side from the slot isn't a glitch either. What shot are players exploiting that you're considering a glitch?

Yes, cycling creates great scoring chances but their goalie stands on his head while mine lets in 4 softies on 8 shots from the exact same terrible scoring spots. I can outplay people online all day and i still lose. Not because theyre better at hockey...no, its because theyre better at exploiting the goalies. I refuse to do this as its boring. So basically, to compete i have to play cheap? No thanks. Ill probably take another extended break from this game after this year and hope that next gen they can actually create a game that rewards hockey plays.

If they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

If you're constantly outplaying your opponent and losing, you may need to look at how you're outplaying them. Many think that more shots and TOA mean you're outplaying them. Just because you put 40+ shots on net, it doesn't mean you're outplaying them. You need to watch how their goalie is moving and notice what holes he's opening up. Many people just shoot and hope for the best. They constantly go for cross-crease one Ts or short side snipes without noticing if the goalie is actually covering those angles. You also raise your accuracy if the puck is settled. If you just got done turning, dekeing or just received a pass, your accuracy is lower because the puck isn't settled.

Unfortunately, without seeing video of the game, we can't tell exactly what's happening. I definitely get how easy it is to assume you outplayed them. Chances are probably good you did, but you still gave them chances to score and they capitalized on them. That also happens in real-world hockey.

Only commenting on one point. If someone's taking shots from terrible scoring areas, that's because the good areas are being covered. Perhaps the goalie should do their job and stop the shots that are coming from the horrible scoring areas. There's far too many shots I've seen where the goalie should be stopping them almost every time, but are often goals, because "goalies gotta get sniped".

It feels like screening your goalie and blocking shots is more effective than taking away the prime scoring areas and letting your goalie take the easy shots. The easy shots are easy goals because the goalies don't seem to be able or programmed to handle loose pucks, or flubbed shots.

Screens are an effective way to score. That's their purpose. To take away the goalie's line of sight. They're going to have a hard time stopping the puck if they can't see it. Goalies will also stop the majority of bad angle shots. You'll see this in the NHL as well. Scoring from bad angles happens frequently. Not every goal ends up on a highlight reel.

The same goes for loose pucks or flubbed shots. Count how many times in a game the goalie covers a loose puck or stops a bad shot. You'll see they far outweigh the ones they don't stop. Like real goalies, they aren't going to stop every bad shot in every game. If they did, there would be no point in forcing shots from low percentage areas. You'd just cover the front of the net and focus on shots from the slot. Any shot on net is dangerous whether it's considered good or bad.

It's not an issue of "goalies gotta get sniped". There's no programming that says after X amount of shots, let one go in no matter what.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Well thats the problem. I set up realistically, cycle realistically and have amazing plays but i cannot beat their goalie in them. But, hell come shoot from just inside the blue line a very slow shot and my goalie will drop butterfly and open the 5 hole right up for the goal. This is not uncommon either.

This game doesn't reward cycling nowadays. Figure skating, the various glitch shots, and cross-crease one-timers are rewarded. It's sad, but it's no longer a hockey sim, it's an arcade game aimed at kids now.

Cycling is still a good way to create scoring chances. That's the style I personally play as I like to make a lot of passes and pull defenders out of position. Cross-crease one timers are up to you to defend. You need to anticipate them and cut off the passing lane or take out the passer. I prefer cutting off the lane to the shooter. If you chase for hits, you're going to leave guys wide open on the back door.

What glitch shots are you experiencing? The short side isn't a glitch. Shooting far side from the slot isn't a glitch either. What shot are players exploiting that you're considering a glitch?

Yes, cycling creates great scoring chances but their goalie stands on his head while mine lets in 4 softies on 8 shots from the exact same terrible scoring spots. I can outplay people online all day and i still lose. Not because theyre better at hockey...no, its because theyre better at exploiting the goalies. I refuse to do this as its boring. So basically, to compete i have to play cheap? No thanks. Ill probably take another extended break from this game after this year and hope that next gen they can actually create a game that rewards hockey plays.

If they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

If you're constantly outplaying your opponent and losing, you may need to look at how you're outplaying them. Many think that more shots and TOA mean you're outplaying them. Just because you put 40+ shots on net, it doesn't mean you're outplaying them. You need to watch how their goalie is moving and notice what holes he's opening up. Many people just shoot and hope for the best. They constantly go for cross-crease one Ts or short side snipes without noticing if the goalie is actually covering those angles. You also raise your accuracy if the puck is settled. If you just got done turning, dekeing or just received a pass, your accuracy is lower because the puck isn't settled.

Unfortunately, without seeing video of the game, we can't tell exactly what's happening. I definitely get how easy it is to assume you outplayed them. Chances are probably good you did, but you still gave them chances to score and they capitalized on them. That also happens in real-world hockey.

Only commenting on one point. If someone's taking shots from terrible scoring areas, that's because the good areas are being covered. Perhaps the goalie should do their job and stop the shots that are coming from the horrible scoring areas. There's far too many shots I've seen where the goalie should be stopping them almost every time, but are often goals, because "goalies gotta get sniped".

It feels like screening your goalie and blocking shots is more effective than taking away the prime scoring areas and letting your goalie take the easy shots. The easy shots are easy goals because the goalies don't seem to be able or programmed to handle loose pucks, or flubbed shots.

Screens are an effective way to score. That's their purpose. To take away the goalie's line of sight. They're going to have a hard time stopping the puck if they can't see it. Goalies will also stop the majority of bad angle shots. You'll see this in the NHL as well. Scoring from bad angles happens frequently. Not every goal ends up on a highlight reel.

The same goes for loose pucks or flubbed shots. Count how many times in a game the goalie covers a loose puck or stops a bad shot. You'll see they far outweigh the ones they don't stop. Like real goalies, they aren't going to stop every bad shot in every game. If they did, there would be no point in forcing shots from low percentage areas. You'd just cover the front of the net and focus on shots from the slot. Any shot on net is dangerous whether it's considered good or bad.

It's not an issue of "goalies gotta get sniped". There's no programming that says after X amount of shots, let one go in no matter what.

No but when you play sound d and limit them to very low, very bad shots and they routinely score on the weak ones 2 to 3 times a game....gets old, and it gets old being told were doing something wrong.
  • EA_Aljo

No but when you play sound d and limit them to very low, very bad shots and they routinely score on the weak ones 2 to 3 times a game....gets old, and it gets old being told were doing something wrong.

I'm not seeing 2 - 3 goals scored in each game from low, bad shots. I'll keep an eye out for it, but of course how we play as well as the players we have are going to make a difference. I throw low shots on net a few - several times each game. It's a good option when you're going for a rebound. Rarely ever do those shots end up in the back of the net instead of rebounding.

I'm not seeing 2 - 3 goals scored in each game from low, bad shots. I'll keep an eye out for it, but of course how we play as well as the players we have are going to make a difference. I throw low shots on net a few - several times each game. It's a good option when you're going for a rebound. Rarely ever do those shots end up in the back of the net instead of rebounding.

The goalie will be in butterfly with a puck slowly approaching, and he'll stare at it and literally open the 5 hole right up to let it go past. I have several videos i can post in a bit.
  • EA_Aljo

The goalie will be in butterfly with a puck slowly approaching, and he'll stare at it and literally open the 5 hole right up to let it go past. I have several videos i can post in a bit.

You're saying this is happening in every game though. Of course, it's going to happen, but I need to see the regularity that it happens at. That would require watching consecutive games from you.

they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

You're saying this is happening in every game though. Of course, it's going to happen, but I need to see the regularity that it happens at. That would require watching consecutive games from you.

Point taken but i have a bunch of videos of the goalie doing this at all...shouldnt that be looked at anywaus?
  • EA_Aljo

they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

Point taken but i have a bunch of videos of the goalie doing this at all...shouldnt that be looked at anywaus?

Yeah, man. We're always interested in video of anything you feel should be looked at. Feel free to post them.

Goalie opening their 5 hole to let goals in is a very regular occurrence. In fact, they can be in perfect position in butterfly, and all they have to do is nothing. Just stay there and the puck would be stopped or deflected.

Nope, open the 5 hole just in time for the puck to go in, for no reason other than giving the opposite team a goal.

I have a hard time believing you don't see this happening with regularity, if you play the game with any kind of regularity.

Goalie opening their 5 hole to let goals in is a very regular occurrence. In fact, they can be in perfect position in butterfly, and all they have to do is nothing. Just stay there and the puck would be stopped or deflected.

Nope, open the 5 hole just in time for the puck to go in, for no reason other than giving the opposite team a goal.

I have a hard time believing you don't see this happening with regularity, if you play the game with any kind of regularity.

THANK YOU! So im NOT seeing things. I see one of these goals every 2 to 3 games, easily.
  • EA_Aljo

THANK YOU! So im NOT seeing things. I see one of these goals every 2 to 3 games, easily.

You previously said it was happening in every game. Now it's every 2 to 3 games though? A 5 hole goal every couple or few games isn't exactly unrealistic.
  • EA_Aljo

Can you get some video of this so I have a better understanding of what the issue is? Goals scored through the 5 hole happens in real hockey as well.

You previously said it was happening in every game. Now it's every 2 to 3 games though? A 5 hole goal every couple or few games isn't exactly unrealistic.

No i said WEAK goals happen every game. THIS goal happens that much.

Can you get some video of this so I have a better understanding of what the issue is? Goals scored through the 5 hole happens in real hockey as well.

I have videos. But, im kinda tired of just having sarcastic comments thrown at me with every reply. Im not the only one who sees it either, can an EA employee PM me about this because apparently i cant pm. It locks up. This is pretty unacceptable

I'll try and remember. Had several today happen.
  • EA_Aljo

No i said WEAK goals happen every game. THIS goal happens that much.

Weak goals happen every night in real hockey as well. There's nothing built into the game that forces them to happen though.
  • EA_Aljo

Sounds good. Feel free to show us whatever goals you're concerned with. Keep in mind, this is hockey. Weak and flukey goals aren't out of the ordinary.

Sounds good. Feel free to show us whatever goals you're concerned with. Keep in mind, this is hockey. Weak and flukey goals aren't out of the ordinary.

No and i understand that but im talking about the goalie seeing the puck come slowly at him and instead of staying still to stop it, hell open the 5 hole.