EA Forums - Banner

WoC Player Archetypes

I primarily play clubs in WoC and one thing that really doesn't make sense to me is the restrictions for player archetypes, especially for defense. I primarily use the TWD that is 6'2 and either 200 or 205 lbs and try to play physically. I find that when I go above these physical stats my player is just too slow. It doesn't make sense to me that weight range for TWD is 200 - 240 lbs and the DD weight range is 210 - 260 lbs. How many 240+ lbs players are there in the league? The majority of NHL players have to be somewhere in the 185 - 230 lbs range. This includes finesse and physical players. I think Chara is the only current active player who weighs more than 240 lbs, and he's an anomaly in general. If I want to build a player that can compete with the speeds of a sniper, dangler, or playmaker I need to use the OD or PMD. These two builds can barely hit even if its perfectly lined-up. I think that the defensemen archetypes need to be adjusted so they can compete with the speeds of the forwards. This could be achieved by moving that weight ranges for defensemen. TWD could have a weight range of 190 - 230 lbs and the DD could have 200 - 240 lbs. These weights would reflect the current NHL better, in my opinion.

Ideally, I'd prefer if the game went back to the way it used to be in games like NHL 13 where archetypes would give you baseline stats and in-game play would give you exp points to upgrade your player as you see fit. Just like FIFA has been doing for years.

Thoughts?

Replies

• What is the weight class for a TWF?

From what I remember the TWD and TWF are identical in stats other than the TWD is slightly better in body checking far as I remember. However, I don't remember the weight differences. I would assume they are the same.

I as well think the defense class players could go for a review and reconfiguration. I don't like being that pigeon-holed in the defense choices we have.

For example, why couldn't I have a big and slow PMD? Why can't I have a tiny DD that is mostly good at interceptions and not much else?

You can compensate with other player classes, like Powerforward or Playmaker for example, but you are sacrificing defensive attributes to get a body type you prefer.
  • I think TWF is like 185 - 220... give or take 5 lbs in either direction.

I think that the way FIFA does things is better for players who want to experiment with body types and play styles. I've tried using a grinder on defense and it works well, but I shouldn't need use a forward because the defensive archetypes are so limited.
  • I think TWF is like 185 - 220... give or take 5 lbs in either direction.

I think that the way FIFA does things is better for players who want to experiment with body types and play styles. I've tried using a grinder on defense and it works well, but I shouldn't need use a forward because the defensive archetypes are so limited.

I mostly play as a TWD, 6 foot 200lbs. Primary trait is quick first step 2 and it helps with the sluggishness.
  • Like I said above I play as a TWD that's 6'2 and 200/205 lbs with defensive minded and either hockey IQ or heavy hitting depending on what the forwards look like on the other team.
  • This is long overdue given that the meta for forwards is snipers with 90 speed. If you're going to remove all creativity from builds can you at least give us one defensive archetype that can match their speed?
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    This is long overdue given that the meta for forwards is snipers with 90 speed. If you're going to remove all creativity from builds can you at least give us one defensive archetype that can match their speed?

They should remove weight/height restrictions imo. If I decide to make a 6'4 220lbs OFD, then that is on me. I will have physicality and a good shot, but no speed. If I make my OFD 5'9 170lbs, then I have mobility and a decent shot. What should matter for that build is the shot precision, not the size/speed factor.

Same for DD. 6'5 240lbs then I am physical and can intercept passes and break up plays. If I make my DD 5'9 and 180lbs, then I am good defensively and would be pretty mobile, but won't be very effective on physical play.

Anyways, pretty much the same applies to any build.