EA Forums - Banner

Why does a.i. do this?

Prev1345
This happens quite a lot and its very frustrating. Watch the a.i. d man turn the 2 on 1 into a free 2 on 0. Ive tried all strategies, yet this still happens. What can i do?

Replies

• [quote="DetroitPride2114;d-255261"]This happens quite a lot and its very frustrating. Watch the a.i. d man turn the 2 on 1 into a free 2 on 0. Ive tried all strategies, yet this still happens. What can i do?[/quote]

https:// gamerdvr.com/gamer/sinistersound83/video/87396068
  • I have been asking about that and also y won't the goalie cover the puck that's right in front of him two major flaws in the game that should be corrected but haven't .
  • I believe they’ve already tried to patch this, but keeps happening for me too.
  • EA_Aljo
    2847 posts EA Community Manager
    This happens quite a lot and its very frustrating. Watch the a.i. d man turn the 2 on 1 into a free 2 on 0. Ive tried all strategies, yet this still happens. What can i do?

I definitely understand this is frustrating. One way to avoid it though is to use manual switching (hold in RT/R2 and flick the right stick down) and take control of that defender. You can then manually keep them in position and defend the play.

I get that doesn't take away from the issue at hand, but this is one way to deal with it currently.
  • [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2116897"][quote="DetroitPride2114;c-2116856"][quote="DetroitPride2114;d-255261"]This happens quite a lot and its very frustrating. Watch the a.i. d man turn the 2 on 1 into a free 2 on 0. Ive tried all strategies, yet this still happens. What can i do?[/quote]

https:// gamerdvr.com/gamer/sinistersound83/video/87396068[/quote]

I definitely understand this is frustrating. One way to avoid it though is to use manual switching (hold in RT/R2 and flick the right stick down) and take control of that defender. You can then manually keep them in position and defend the play.

I get that doesn't take away from the issue at hand, but this is one way to deal with it currently.[/quote]

The problem is, theres a slight delay when manual switching and its unreliable. You also didnt answer the question sir....why does it do this, and how can i stop it?
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I get that doesn't take away from the issue at hand, but this is one way to deal with it currently.

The problem is, theres a slight delay when manual switching and its unreliable. You also didnt answer the question sir....why does it do this, and how can i stop it?

I haven't noticed a delay with manual switching. I'll keep an eye out for this.
  • You can't fix it right now, this is being discussed in another thread or 2.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

It should be fixed just like the goalie not being able to cover the puck ,and as for player switching even if you take control of the player for some EA reason he still steps up before being able to get full control of him
  • EA_Aljo

It should be fixed just like the goalie not being able to cover the puck ,and as for player switching even if you take control of the player for some EA reason he still steps up before being able to get full control of him

If you take control of him sooner, you can stop them from stepping up.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Did you read my whole statement ,the point is it's been like this from the start and still no fix ,now if it done purposely please say so ,just like the goalies not being able to cover the puck ,
  • EA_Aljo

Did you read my whole statement ,the point is it's been like this from the start and still no fix ,now if it done purposely please say so ,just like the goalies not being able to cover the puck ,

I'm aware it happens. This has been pointed out previously. Hopefully, it's addressed in the future, but for now you can avoid this from happening by taking control of your defenders before they step up.

I'm aware it happens. This has been pointed out previously. Hopefully, it's addressed in the future, but for now you can avoid this from happening by taking control of your defenders before they step up.

I dont think this is very good advice, and all while avoiding answering Treatment's question.

I found a lot of times when I switch to the other defender, he will stop for a second letting the opponent get by. So you either control one defender and the other stops, or you switch and stop anyway. Either way your opponent will get an EA scoring chance.
  • [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2116987"][quote="Treatmentworke66;c-2116966"][quote="EA_Aljo;c-2116897"][quote="DetroitPride2114;c-2116856"][quote="DetroitPride2114;d-255261"]This happens quite a lot and its very frustrating. Watch the a.i. d man turn the 2 on 1 into a free 2 on 0. Ive tried all strategies, yet this still happens. What can i do?[/quote]

https:// gamerdvr.com/gamer/sinistersound83/video/87396068[/quote]

I get that doesn't take away from the issue at hand, but this is one way to deal with it currently.[/quote]

It should be fixed just like the goalie not being able to cover the puck ,and as for player switching even if you take control of the player for some EA reason he still steps up before being able to get full control of him [/quote]

If you take control of him sooner, you can stop them from stepping up.[/quote]

Well that would be a lot easier to do if you knew what the play was gonna do but its hockey, and fast and unpredictable, so to switch earlier is usually not a valid option anyways. Plus, theres that slight delay between when you switch players to when they actually respond to your controller commands. By then, its too late.

I dont think this is very good advice, and all while avoiding answering Treatment's question.

I found a lot of times when I switch to the other defender, he will stop for a second letting the opponent get by. So you either control one defender and the other stops, or you switch and stop anyway. Either way your opponent will get an EA scoring chance.

Thank you I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that about the AI

I'm all for calling out the things that need to be fixed or improved but really, where else do you expect this conversation to go?

It's not intentional
    Its broke for now
    Your only way of dealing with it until it's fixed is to switch earlier.
    What else is he supposed to say?
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited February 2020

But why does the defenseman step up? And more important, why can't the devs just write a few lines of code to fix it. (I mean literally the equivalent of something like "If 2-on-2, or 2-on-1, stay with weak-side winger.") It would be useful to have @nhldev weigh in here on what happened to the AI's programming this year.

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    jrago73 wrote: »
    It's not intentional
    Its broke for now

He (or, more accurately, one of the devs) is supposed to explain: "Here's why it's happening. Here's why we haven't fixed it yet. Here's how, and when, we do plan to fix it."

This is not a trivial problem. In my experience, given the nature of this game and the way it's generally played, this single flaw is responsible for a significant percentage of all goals scored in the game.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    It's not intentional
    Its broke for now

He (or, more accurately, one of the devs) is supposed to explain: "Here's why it's happening. Here's why we haven't fixed it yet. Here's how, and when, we do plan to fix it."

This is not a trivial problem. In my experience, given the nature of this game and the way it's generally played, this single flaw is responsible for a significant percentage of all goals scored in the game.

Have to agree. This is a huge issue and I haven’t seen or heard any specifics on the issue or about a fix and we’re how many months in?

Less coding on things like incorporating Snoop, and more on things like this...
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    It's not intentional
    Its broke for now

I am not sure why the ai D stops to move forward in this case (Could be a number of things that we just need to get a repro case of and there are some weak side defensive pieces we have been looking at around loose pucks and general assignments). In this case we can also wonder why the human player stepped up and flew by the puck carrier. Using that as a sample case, even if we made the ai a recreation of a human brain, some very odd mistakes could be made.

The ai is meant to stay in the pass lane and is considering the pass, their position to defend a rebound and if they need to worry about the puck carrier as well. Looking at this case we may want to see if pending line changes are impacting something or if the human D over committing and turning a 2 on 2 into a 2 on 1 when already in zone could cause something.

• This never occurred in previous games ,that and the goalies not covering the puck please tell us that your also looking at that ...and thanks for the response