EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Lag switch in 6s dropin

Prev13
Just played a team of 6s, all prestige. These guys had set plays and coincidentally they ran the same play whenever I spiked with massive lag. Didn't know this was possible in dropin.

Replies

• deadman9999
    872 posts Member
    edited February 15
    Why they wasting their time playing scrubs in drops if they so good lol
  • They weren't good. After a couple guys dropped out when we went down 4-2 they realized pretty quickly that the CPU doesnt get affected by the switching so they significantly cut down on the spikes, mainly to faceoffs in our zone. We came back to win 7-5. Ya boii got the GWG. Our human goalie stood on his head.
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited February 15
    That is absolutely pathetic. Anybody using a lag switch deserves to have something bad happen to them in real life. Pieces of trash.
  • I have only ever noticed this once and it was during an LG playoff game on nhl 19 I think. Or maybe it is more prevalent and I'm just used to playing on awful connections lol
  • I have only ever noticed this once and it was during an LG playoff game on nhl 19 I think. Or maybe it is more prevalent and I'm just used to playing on awful connections lol

First time I've ever seen it in dropin. I would look at the network stability and it would have 23-24 across the board with absolutely zero.

First time I've ever seen it in dropin. I would look at the network stability and it would have 23-24 across the board with absolutely zero.

That graph will in no way represent whether another eashl user, in your game, is using a lag switch. There is absolutely no way for you to actually know that.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited February 17
    I have only ever noticed this once and it was during an LG playoff game on nhl 19 I think. Or maybe it is more prevalent and I'm just used to playing on awful connections lol

That graph will in no way represent whether another eashl user, in your game, is using a lag switch. There is absolutely no way for you to actually know that.

The graph isnt perfect but the timing of every single spike was obvious that someone was cheating.

What I found interesting about the graph is that my personal experience didn't match what was being displayed on the graph.

And just to add more context, I played multiple games the other night and this was the only game that played this way.
  • I know the #1 drop-in skater on xbox one has done it in the past. Whether he still does I don't know but I played a few games with him a couple of years ago and him and his buddy got comfortable enough with me to tell me they lagged people out of games if things weren't going well. They would also intentionally score on their own net to get the goalie and other players to leave so they could play with AI. I'm pretty sure he still does it because I've played against him quite a few times and have never been overly impressed, usually coming away with a W. But his CR is like 1400.

Anyways it is quite pathetic, to do it in club or drop in, doesn't matter.

The graph isnt perfect but the timing of every single spike was obvious that someone was cheating.

What I found interesting about the graph is that my personal experience didn't match what was being displayed on the graph.

And just to add more context, I played multiple games the other night and this was the only game that played this way.

I'm just saying that graph is all about your connection. and here's the kicker, its not even your connection to the game server that is hosting but a generic auth server at each datacenter... which is why the numbers dont always line up with the experience you are having.

if someone is using a lagswitch, the only place you will see those ping times change is on their graph.
  • Played a game of HUT last night where EVERY TIME id set up in his zone, there was a huge lag spike...you know the one where at first your players wont move or they move really slow then suddenly the game plays at 10x speed for a few seconds. Anyways, checking my network performance it said my highest ping was 39ms, and avg was 28ms, with zero packet loss. This can only be a lag switch right? That, or that network performance meter doesnt work correctly. Either way, its yet another bad experience you can have with this game with no explanation other than we need to check our network.

I went to a very good college for cis and networking and business admin was my major. Im pretty sure i know how to configure and troubleshoot my home connection which btw is a 1gb down, 100mb up connection with a very expensive router specialized for online gaming.

These problems we have, are (mostly) on ea end. Im sure some of us arent tech savvy enough to set all that up and thats fine. You should never have to have intricate knowledge of networking systems to play a game that you bought though, and as you can see even when youre extremely educated on this situation, the same problems still arise proving to me that it is definitely on EAs servers id say about 90 percent of the time. Ill give you guys the 10 percent buffer for those who dont know how to properly set up a router, but these arwn3t new issues either.

Most of this stuff happened last gen in the same ways. Time for you guys to spend some time and money i. The NHLseries server infrastructure. NEVER have these problems with your other online sports games, which points me right to their servers for NHL alone, and if its not the servers, theres some netcoding that needs a major overhaul. Not trying to be snarky EA. Just trying to point out some major and obvious flaws that have plagued this series for years. Thanks
  • EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    Played a game of HUT last night where EVERY TIME id set up in his zone, there was a huge lag spike...you know the one where at first your players wont move or they move really slow then suddenly the game plays at 10x speed for a few seconds. Anyways, checking my network performance it said my highest ping was 39ms, and avg was 28ms, with zero packet loss. This can only be a lag switch right? That, or that network performance meter doesnt work correctly. Either way, its yet another bad experience you can have with this game with no explanation other than we need to check our network.

I went to a very good college for cis and networking and business admin was my major. Im pretty sure i know how to configure and troubleshoot my home connection which btw is a 1gb down, 100mb up connection with a very expensive router specialized for online gaming.

These problems we have, are (mostly) on ea end. Im sure some of us arent tech savvy enough to set all that up and thats fine. You should never have to have intricate knowledge of networking systems to play a game that you bought though, and as you can see even when youre extremely educated on this situation, the same problems still arise proving to me that it is definitely on EAs servers id say about 90 percent of the time. Ill give you guys the 10 percent buffer for those who dont know how to properly set up a router, but these arwn3t new issues either.

Most of this stuff happened last gen in the same ways. Time for you guys to spend some time and money i. The NHLseries server infrastructure. NEVER have these problems with your other online sports games, which points me right to their servers for NHL alone, and if its not the servers, theres some netcoding that needs a major overhaul. Not trying to be snarky EA. Just trying to point out some major and obvious flaws that have plagued this series for years. Thanks

HUT games take place on dedicated servers so they aren't able to lag switch. We'd need to go through some connection troubleshooting to find out what's going on and rule out any issues on your end. Since you're educated on setting up a home network, we'll skip the power cycling since I assume you've already done that. What connection are you playing on? Is it wired or wireless?
  • EA_Aljo
    Just played a team of 6s, all prestige. These guys had set plays and coincidentally they ran the same play whenever I spiked with massive lag. Didn't know this was possible in dropin.

Drop-ins take place on dedicated servers so one player can't force the game to lag. If you're very frequently experiencing this, we would need to troubleshoot your connection. If you haven't already, power cycle your modem, router and console. Make sure you unplug everything for a couple minutes, plug it back in and see if there's an improvement. If that doesn't help, let me know if you play on a wired or wireless connection and we'll take it from there.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited February 18
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Drop-ins take place on dedicated servers so one player can't force the game to lag. If you're very frequently experiencing this, we would need to troubleshoot your connection. If you haven't already, power cycle your modem, router and console. Make sure you unplug everything for a couple minutes, plug it back in and see if there's an improvement. If that doesn't help, let me know if you play on a wired or wireless connection and we'll take it from there.

My connection's fine. Like I said, it was only this game that night. If lag switching isnt possible then something else is because this group mastered it.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Played a game of HUT last night where EVERY TIME id set up in his zone, there was a huge lag spike...you know the one where at first your players wont move or they move really slow then suddenly the game plays at 10x speed for a few seconds. Anyways, checking my network performance it said my highest ping was 39ms, and avg was 28ms, with zero packet loss. This can only be a lag switch right? That, or that network performance meter doesnt work correctly. Either way, its yet another bad experience you can have with this game with no explanation other than we need to check our network.

HUT games take place on dedicated servers so they aren't able to lag switch. We'd need to go through some connection troubleshooting to find out what's going on and rule out any issues on your end. Since you're educated on setting up a home network, we'll skip the power cycling since I assume you've already done that. What connection are you playing on? Is it wired or wireless?

Wired connection, open nat , ports forwarded. Even ran diagnostics with my isp and things are great. Maybe those lag spikes were caused by his connection?

Wired connection, open nat , ports forwarded. Even ran diagnostics with my isp and things are great. Maybe those lag spikes were caused by his connection?

I see lag spikes every now and then as well when generally I have a great connection. I think every now and then the EA servers, or my ISP routing, is causing lag spikes. It is very rare for me in any case and will generally last 1-2 hours.
  • EA_Aljo

How frequently are you experiencing these lag spikes? Was it just this one time or does it happen frequently?

My connection is wired and every game I play, plays flawlessly. Every game of NHL this year, surprisingly, has also played flawlessly. Trust me when I say my connection is fine.

How frequently are you experiencing these lag spikes? Was it just this one time or does it happen frequently?

Its not extremely frequent. Probably happens once every few games but when it does, it happens on and off all game usually, and it doesnt matter what mode im playing. Heck, this might bet in my head but i SWEAR to god if i play offline when im playing franchise, the game runs much smoother. I've Thought this for years though. Like, the menus are more responsive and controlling players seems smoother. Its almost like bwing connected at all to EA servers has an effect on how the game plays, even in offline modes. I don't think its in my head though because on 2 separate occasions, i had 2 different people claim this same exact thing to me without even having knowledge that those were my thoughts as well.
  • DetroitPride2114
    233 posts Member
    edited February 18

My connection is wired and every game I play, plays flawlessly. Every game of NHL this year, surprisingly, has also played flawlessly. Trust me when I say my connection is fine.

I'm sure it is, and with any other game, mine is fine as well. Heck, last time i went to do a roster update it kept freezing during download and booting me from EA servers. I have already contacted customer support and went through the motions and they told me its my isp fault somehow and to post here for help. Now, im a networking professional, and have been with my isp a long time. I know how their systems work very well and even contact their local customer support manager directly because i get frustrated having to talk to lower level support only to have them ask me to repeat the common sense troubleshooting tasks five times. So, eventually this dude just said if i have problems to call him directly.

So, i did and we went through things and diagnostics together and he told me what i already knew...theres literally NOTHING wrong on our side of things. He even ran routing amd ping tests to EA servers. He said that transmitting to EA servers worked fine, but he said the return feed for data was slow, unsteady and in some cases, the pings a rout traces would fail. He said hes worked in the business for over 20 years and that they have the most problems with mp games than anything (which i get because theres so many variables), but he also said between his personal and professional experience that i will never get this resolved.

Apparently last time a customer had an issue with EA games, this tech and the customer 3 way called EA to troubleshoot and kept telling the customer something is wrong on his end, until the tech made it known who he was then the EA employee said he had to escalate the issue to a supervisor because he is not allowed to speak directly to isp. So, this EA Supervisor gets on, goes over the same things he just spent the last 40 min going over, all while arguing with the guy from my isp telling him that its on the isp end and not EA. SO when they requested to do some kind of thorough diagnostic between my isp and EA, the EA employee got really defensive and told them he had to escalate further and someone would contavt the. within an hour. Never heard back.

Long story short, no matter what we do EA wont take credit for it. Its always the customers fault. Dont agree? Go look up the huge scandal right now about EA banning and filing copyright infringement on the fifa streamer because he calls out EA for this exact stuff in his videos. So, if a company is going to sell products, i think its only right to do everything in your power to help tje customer with problems. You NEVER blame it on the customer, or punish them for speaking about it. This guy makes a living as a streamer and EA basically just took his job away because theyre having the equivalent of a tantrum because someone said something mean.

Back to original topic, if theres ANYTHING else you think might help aljo, please dont be afraid to suggest. I may be a pro in the field but even the best make mistakes or overlook things. Thanks
  • EA_Aljo

I'm sure it is, and with any other game, mine is fine as well. Heck, last time i went to do a roster update it kept freezing during download and booting me from EA servers. I have already contacted customer support and went through the motions and they told me its my isp fault somehow and to post here for help. Now, im a networking professional, and have been with my isp a long time. I know how their systems work very well and even contact their local customer support manager directly because i get frustrated having to talk to lower level support only to have them ask me to repeat the common sense troubleshooting tasks five times. So, eventually this dude just said if i have problems to call him directly.

So, i did and we went through things and diagnostics together and he told me what i already knew...theres literally NOTHING wrong on our side of things. He even ran routing amd ping tests to EA servers. He said that transmitting to EA servers worked fine, but he said the return feed for data was slow, unsteady and in some cases, the pings a rout traces would fail. He said hes worked in the business for over 20 years and that they have the most problems with mp games than anything (which i get because theres so many variables), but he also said between his personal and professional experience that i will never get this resolved.

Apparently last time a customer had an issue with EA games, this tech and the customer 3 way called EA to troubleshoot and kept telling the customer something is wrong on his end, until the tech made it known who he was then the EA employee said he had to escalate the issue to a supervisor because he is not allowed to speak directly to isp. So, this EA Supervisor gets on, goes over the same things he just spent the last 40 min going over, all while arguing with the guy from my isp telling him that its on the isp end and not EA. SO when they requested to do some kind of thorough diagnostic between my isp and EA, the EA employee got really defensive and told them he had to escalate further and someone would contavt the. within an hour. Never heard back.

Long story short, no matter what we do EA wont take credit for it. Its always the customers fault. Dont agree? Go look up the huge scandal right now about EA banning and filing copyright infringement on the fifa streamer because he calls out EA for this exact stuff in his videos. So, if a company is going to sell products, i think its only right to do everything in your power to help tje customer with problems. You NEVER blame it on the customer, or punish them for speaking about it. This guy makes a living as a streamer and EA basically just took his job away because theyre having the equivalent of a tantrum because someone said something mean.

Back to original topic, if theres ANYTHING else you think might help aljo, please dont be afraid to suggest. I may be a pro in the field but even the best make mistakes or overlook things. Thanks

There are many times we take credit for it. You'll see various Twitter feeds acknowledging outages and such. We definitely want to let you guys know when there's a known issue.

I also understand the skepticism. I've done troubleshooting for literally hundreds, if not thousands of players over the years and in the very high majority of them, there are noticeable issues with their connection, but they refuse to believe it's on their end. There's only so much we can do. We want you guys to be able to play with a smooth connection so we do all we can to help with that.

When compared to the people that are playing without issue, it's a small percentage of the population. For example, in almost every game I play, everyone has a solid connection. There's the occasional complaint that someone is getting lag. Why are the other 5 guys in the game not lagging? The simple truth is, there are a ton of variables at play when it comes to connections. You have to consider things like, other people on your network and their activity, your equipment, the equipment in your neighborhood, your ISP and all the servers (that are outside of the EA network) you pass through back and forth, lag from your TV, whether your wireless or wired and if wired, your ethernet cable's condition. These are a handful of things that need to be considered and are part of a much bigger picture.

There are going to be times when we can't figure out why you're lagging so much. We do all we can to give you guys as good a connection as possible and we're constantly working on making it better. It would be a lot easier if everyone or even the majority of people were having the same issue, but it's not so easy when it's a smaller portion of the player base, on different ISPs, using different connections, different equipment, in different households.

I've had my own share of connection issues over the years, but they were always resolved with my own personal troubleshooting. What finally did it was getting a good modem and a good router. The biggest issue I had was using a modem/router combo unit. Once I got rid of that, my connection problems were gone. That was 5 years ago and it's extremely rare I get any lag and even more rare I disconnect.

We may never find out why you lag, but we'll absolutely do all we can to improve your connection.