EA Forums - Banner

Devs, could you explain some sliders?

bryta47
373 posts Member
edited February 2020
Aggression slider?

I would like to know EXACTLY what this slider does, how it affects both CPU and HUMAN players. Does it make the CPU hit more? Chase more in D zone? Shoot more? Does it make HUMAN players less disciplined? Tell us. Please.

Attribute effect slider?

This is a most talked about slider. Noone seems to know exactly what it does. I've heard lots of speculation and the only official answer I've seen is "it' best to keep it at 5". Please, explain exactly how this slider affects players and gameplay.

Replies

• I'll tell you. Aggression affects how aggressive the ai is. Do they step up, do they poke check more in certain situations, go for more hits... That sort of stuff.

Attribute effects literally means how much attributes affect each player. You'll see more differentiation between a 90 passer VS a 70, shorter power etc. If it's turned all the way down players play the exact same, turned all the way up and you start seeing more effects of those attributes whether it be their shot, puck handling, etc.
  • The aggression slider is located in the CHECKING sub menu. It controls how many hits the CPU players will attempt.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    I'll tell you. Aggression affects how aggressive the ai is. Do they step up, do they poke check more in certain situations, go for more hits... That sort of stuff.

Attribute effects literally means how much attributes affect each player. You'll see more differentiation between a 90 passer VS a 70, shorter power etc. If it's turned all the way down players play the exact same, turned all the way up and you start seeing more effects of those attributes whether it be their shot, puck handling, etc.

Thanks for answering, man!

I know that aggression means, well, aggression - I just want to know more specific how the slider affects the players. In my experience the CPU takes less hits with lesser aggression, but is that the only attribute affected? It's hard to tell from gameplay. And how does the slider affect a human controlled player?

Regarding attribute effects slider, I still think it's kind of messy. Okay, it affects attributes... But how? Does the slider at 5/10 mean all players play true to their attributes? Does 1/10 mean attributes are like pulled together, so all players become 50 overalls? Does 10/10 mean that all attributes under 50 becomes 1 and all attributes over 50 becomes 100? That's one of many explanations I've heard.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    The aggression slider is located in the CHECKING sub menu. It controls how many hits the CPU players will attempt.

Well, if that's the case, it should be pretty easy to post that simple explanation in-game. I'm not at my PS4 right now, but I think it just says something vague like "this slider controls the aggressiveness of players".

Also, how does the slider affect human controlled player if it just handles hitting attempts? Because there's one slider for CPU and one for HUMAN.
  • bryta47 wrote: »
    I'll tell you. Aggression affects how aggressive the ai is. Do they step up, do they poke check more in certain situations, go for more hits... That sort of stuff.

I know that aggression means, well, aggression - I just want to know more specific how the slider affects the players. In my experience the CPU takes less hits with lesser aggression, but is that the only attribute affected? It's hard to tell from gameplay. And how does the slider affect a human controlled player?

Regarding attribute effects slider, I still think it's kind of messy. Okay, it affects attributes... But how? Does the slider at 5/10 mean all players play true to their attributes? Does 1/10 mean attributes are like pulled together, so all players become 50 overalls? Does 10/10 mean that all attributes under 50 becomes 1 and all attributes over 50 becomes 100?

It'll affect how often they chase and try to go for hits, if it's up high enough they'll start disrupting your shots on the back check and they'll start to double team more often in certain positions. I don't believe it affects human controlled players but will affect your own ai if you set it up that way too. Also it affects how closely the players play man to man. With it way down they'll back off of players more.

So 1/10 for attribute effects will have everybody playing the same, 5/10 you'll see some variance between stars and 4th liners and on 10/10 you'll definitely notice it in things like skating ability, shot, puck handling, etc but it also depends on how your other sliders are set as well. If you tune your puck control to have the puck be more loose you'll notice players lose the puck dangling who don't have good hands, passes go awry with poor passing, etc.

I usually have mine around 8 or 9 because I like realism and I like when those really weak attributes really show in my game. If you have 70 hands you shouldn't be able to deke at will, etc.

Realistic slider settings will have on average about an 8 for that slider number. Sometimes when it's cranked to 10 then only the top guys can control the puck or pass, stuff like that. 5/10 is a terrible number because then it's a mix of arcade and realism but hey if that's what you want then go for it. I personally dont like that though.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    bryta47 wrote: »

Regarding attribute effects slider, I still think it's kind of messy. Okay, it affects attributes... But how? Does the slider at 5/10 mean all players play true to their attributes? Does 1/10 mean attributes are like pulled together, so all players become 50 overalls? Does 10/10 mean that all attributes under 50 becomes 1 and all attributes over 50 becomes 100?

It'll affect how often they chase and try to go for hits, if it's up high enough they'll start disrupting your shots on the back check and they'll start to double team more often in certain positions. I don't believe it affects human controlled players but will affect your own ai if you set it up that way too. Also it affects how closely the players play man to man. With it way down they'll back off of players more.

So 1/10 for attribute effects will have everybody playing the same, 5/10 you'll see some variance between stars and 4th liners and on 10/10 you'll definitely notice it in things like skating ability, shot, puck handling, etc but it also depends on how your other sliders are set as well. If you tune your puck control to have the puck be more loose you'll notice players lose the puck dangling who don't have good hands, passes go awry with poor passing, etc.

I usually have mine around 8 or 9 because I like realism and I like when those really weak attributes really show in my game. If you have 70 hands you shouldn't be able to deke at will, etc.

Realistic slider settings will have on average about an 8 for that slider number. Sometimes when it's cranked to 10 then only the top guys can control the puck or pass, stuff like that. 5/10 is a terrible number because then it's a mix of arcade and realism but hey if that's what you want then go for it. I personally dont like that though.

Mm, what you're saying is kind of what I've learned myself from experimenting over the years. I still think the in-game explanations for some of the sliders are vague and need to be made more clear on what exactly they do.

I play the game in true broadcast and try to get it to feel as much like hockey as possible; fast paced, crisp, loose - with realistic stats. And I've come to believe the aggression slider affect gameplay quite a bit. At the moment I'm trying to tweak it to feel just right. I want the CPU to leave me some room, but I still want realistic hit stats. It's a balancing act for sure. But I still wonder what the HUMAN aggression slider does. Why is it even in there if it's pointless?

Yeah, and I've also settled for attribute effects at 8/10. Lower than that makes the game somewhat more boring and higher makes the players go into panic mode. I just want to know why more specific!

But I must say... The last couple of days, I'm almost happy with my slider settings and the game is starting to be... FUN! It's like some kind of EA-miracle!

Online still sucks, though.
  • bryta47 wrote: »

The attribute slider does create confusion. I've heard that 5/10 is the "play to the player ratings" number. Each year seems to be a different meaning.