EA Forums - Banner

This Game Desperately Needs Lobbies Back

Prev1345
The lobby system to find games is absolutely critical for this game to revitalize eashl. So far in order to play games we have 2 options, join LG and play puck at certain times or play drop ins and good luck finding 6s games (must wait until peak hours).

I remember playing this game all day every day when I was younger. I could go into the lobby, see 45 people were in one and look up the few games being set up. I'd select one, look for trolls, and if there weren't any I'd pick my position and then play the game of 6s.

Now what I do is I go on LG, look at the AHL and CHL shout box to see if anybody is looking for somebody, I check my discords to see if anybody is looking for somebody, I add my friends to a game to see if anybody is looking for somebody and end up wasting hours upon hours trying to find a game mid day on a weekday, and you can't.

I'm not a big 3s guy but I'm forced to play 3s because 6s just doesn't exist unless you have a real dedicated group of guys to play with during weekdays. I can't find a 6s game to save my life unless I literally spend an hour waiting for a pop up on LG to say "need position x".

The matchmaking system limits games from forming. I'd rather play sweaties over and over getting killed with randoms as opposed to being forced to play 2 on 2 in 3's throughout the day because the matchmaking engine is so awful.

People refuse to join drop in games for good reasons. They're a trolls' pipe dream and consistently absolutely nothing year after year is being done to prevent them from ruining the drop in experience. Instead ea decides to ruin the experience of literally everybody else in favour of scrubs who think they deserve every pass, want to troll when they don't or when a goalie let's in one goal decides to quit and/or run out of their net for the rest of the game.

Bring back the lobbies and enact punishments for trolls. I can't justify buying nhl 21 (even though the gameplay will likely be decent) at full price because I spend more hours not playing the game mode I'd like to play than actively playing the game mode I want to play.

Replies

• 100%!

Especially late at night when population is low.

In fact, for 6v6 population has never NOT been low.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    100%!

If there are concerns of a lower population for this mode at the moment, instead of players queuing up for matchmaking you now have players out of matchmaking within a chat room/lobby not playing the game, thus potentially extending the wait times and limiting the matchmaking pool.

Growing up with lobbies for games I remember they were a ton of fun. You might still see them in some games these days, but not to the extent of what you used to. They would be a great addition on top of what we already have for those that really enjoy conversing with others and looking for rivalry type of matchups, but don't you think you can actually accomplish this through all the available communities available outside of the game? For example, there is a Looking for Group tool built into Xbox, a specific forum here for others looking to matchmake with a club, Facebook groups, Reddit groups, Discord, and so forth.

By adding this feature to the game, you have to dedicate resources in tackling potential toxic behavior, issues that arise, and likely add features requested by the community throughout the game's life-cycle. Your pitch, @HoodHoppers, is that this is required to revitalize EASHL where on paper this sounds logical because in order for us to have a GREAT EASHL experience, most of time it's a social factor that's playing a part in it. EASHL is honestly one of the coolest game modes out there when you have a group of friends online to play with. Those Friday and Saturday nights are unlike any other games I play! Implementing this with an intention of how it will be used doesn't mean it will work out the way we want it, unfortunately.

We've discussed this before in another thread and even NHLDev touched up on the lobby system about it. We know there are a lot of players that are interested in it but again, but there could be a whole lot of other ways we can help improve EASHL by incentivize better play from players whether it be for those dropping in, encourage to join clubs, rewards for Chel and/or HUT, and whatever else the community can help brainstorm.

Based off what you said the root of the problem is matchmaking with players that don't play their position properly, hog the puck, or troll.

So let's kick off the discussion like this:
    1. How would you incentivize good play?
    2. If another player didn't live up to your expectations on the ice, how would you go about enforcing proper play without deterring them from continuing to invest in that mode?

• Adding a vote to kick feature could help with the trolling. In games like Rainbow Six Siege (one of the most toxic gaming communities around) they have a kick system that works pretty well. If someone on a five man team isn't playing or is trolling, someone can start a vote to kick and if there are 4 kick votes then that player is kicked. When the vote prompt is activated its a two button vote. You can limit the vote activation to 1 per player to prevent spamming. Since X and B aren't used during play, for EASHL since there isn't line changing, X could be vote yes and B vote no.
  • de4c0n_fr05t
    436 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    100%!

If there are concerns of a lower population for this mode at the moment, instead of players queuing up for matchmaking you now have players out of matchmaking within a chat room/lobby not playing the game, thus potentially extending the wait times and limiting the matchmaking pool.

Growing up with lobbies for games I remember they were a ton of fun. You might still see them in some games these days, but not to the extent of what you used to. They would be a great addition on top of what we already have for those that really enjoy conversing with others and looking for rivalry type of matchups, but don't you think you can actually accomplish this through all the available communities available outside of the game? For example, there is a Looking for Group tool built into Xbox, a specific forum here for others looking to matchmake with a club, Facebook groups, Reddit groups, Discord, and so forth.

By adding this feature to the game, you have to dedicate resources in tackling potential toxic behavior, issues that arise, and likely add features requested by the community throughout the game's life-cycle. Your pitch, @HoodHoppers, is that this is required to revitalize EASHL where on paper this sounds logical because in order for us to have a GREAT EASHL experience, most of time it's a social factor that's playing a part in it. EASHL is honestly one of the coolest game modes out there when you have a group of friends online to play with. Those Friday and Saturday nights are unlike any other games I play! Implementing this with an intention of how it will be used doesn't mean it will work out the way we want it, unfortunately.

We've discussed this before in another thread and even NHLDev touched up on the lobby system about it. We know there are a lot of players that are interested in it but again, but there could be a whole lot of other ways we can help improve EASHL by incentivize better play from players whether it be for those dropping in, encourage to join clubs, rewards for Chel and/or HUT, and whatever else the community can help brainstorm.

Based off what you said the root of the problem is matchmaking with players that don't play their position properly, hog the puck, or troll.

2. If another player didn't live up to your expectations on the ice, how would you go about enforcing proper play without deterring them from continuing to invest in that mode?

Extending wait times? lol You can't be serious.

Let me give you an example:

NHL15 for PS3 has on average 100 online players on any given evening.

Could you imagine how long it would take to get a 6v6 game going if you had the current NHL20 matchmaker as your only means to get a game? It might take all night.

Lobby system.. you all jump in a room (central in this case), some one starts a room, and it gets filled in seconds. It's the sole reason why we can still play online 6v6 (OTP) in that game to this day.
    but don't you think you can actually accomplish this through all the available communities available outside of the game? For example, there is a Looking for Group tool built into Xbox, a specific forum here for others looking to matchmake with a club, Facebook groups, Reddit groups, Discord, and so forth.

Why should you be forced to go OUTSIDE the game for this feature?
    It should be IN the game that you're actually playing, isn't that much easier and more convenient?

I'm not saying get rid of the matchmaker, have that as well. Just like last gen, there was both and it worked great.
    By adding this feature to the game, you have to dedicate resources in tackling potential toxic behavior, issues that arise, and likely add features requested by the community throughout the game's life-cycle.

Of course the lobby system in last gen was not perfect, but with a few tweaks you could drastically minimize the trolls and fix it's shortcomings.
    [*] How would you incentivize good play?
    [*] If another player didn't live up to your expectations on the ice, how would you go about enforcing proper play without deterring them from continuing to invest in that mode?

I don't know if you can. A troll is gonna troll. A bad player is going to try his/her best but will still be bad.

I would like to see a proper club practice mode like we used to have. Also a quick on ice test mode to quickly test fresh chel builds, again, like we used to have.

We really did have a lot of cool features last gen that were taken away for seemingly no reason.
    Post edited by de4c0n_fr05t on
  • 100%!

Could you imagine how long it would take to get a 6v6 game going if you had the current NHL20 matchmaker as your only means to get a game? It might take all night.

Lobby system.. you all jump in a room (central in this case), some one starts a room, and it gets filled in seconds. It's the sole reason why we can still play online 6v6 (OTP) in that game to this day.
    but don't you think you can actually accomplish this through all the available communities available outside of the game? For example, there is a Looking for Group tool built into Xbox, a specific forum here for others looking to matchmake with a club, Facebook groups, Reddit groups, Discord, and so forth.

It should be IN the game that you're actually playing, isn't that much easier and more convenient?

I'm not saying get rid of the matchmaker, have that as well. Just like last gen, there was both and it worked great.
    By adding this feature to the game, you have to dedicate resources in tackling potential toxic behavior, issues that arise, and likely add features requested by the community throughout the game's life-cycle.

Of course the lobby system in last gen was not perfect, but with a few tweaks you could drastically minimize the trolls and fix it's shortcomings.
    [*] If another player didn't live up to your expectations on the ice, how would you go about enforcing proper play without deterring them from continuing to invest in that mode?

I don't know if you can. A troll is gonna troll. A bad player is going to try his/her best but will still be bad.

I would like to see a proper club practice mode like we used to have. Also a quick on ice test mode to quickly test fresh chel builds, again, like we used to have.

We really did have a lot of cool features last gen that were taken away for seemingly no reason.

Dont worry, theyll be back soon with a different name and advertised as all new. Theyve been doing that for years.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    100%!

Good points, but a combination of the old and new system would probably be the best solution. The old lobby system had only 12 positions so yes 1 player could sit in the middle and ruin it for everyone. So why not put the option to 14 or 16 slots? Whoever stays in the middle gets left behind. Also, force the game to start if say 90% or players are readied up so if 1 player wants to hold everyone back, he just gets dragged into the game ready or not.

The chat in the lobby was not a major issue. In fact, I do not remember a single thread in past years of people complaining how toxic it was. Yet, I remember it's been at least 9 years people are complaining how toxic the gameplay is and yet, nothing has changed on that front.

The extreme first and most important thing to fix and I mean ASAP, is the damn trolling this game allows. I have never seen a game that allows so many ways to troll and how extremely easy it is to get away with. I do not play that car soccer game, but is there trolling in it? If so, how is it handled? If there is no trolling, then what is their solution? It may suck to do this, but sometimes there is alot to be learned about what others are doing with their games and how would it work if implemented into your game in your own way?

Yes there is Discord and whatever other platforms you want to use, but I shouldn't have to do any of this. I should have options in the game. This game has done very little to build up a community and sadly, it should not be this way. A healthy community makes for a better product and would probably be a positive when it comes to sales. People enjoy being part of a good/fun/thriving community. Maybe allow us to make custom gear/jerseys/logos that community members can download. Maybe even at times there can be a theme, like say Valentine's day or whatever and make gear for that theme. Give us ways to add a little of our touch and personality to the game. Allow us to feel a part of the experience. Allow us ways to communicate and build ties with other users. Maybe even showcase the coolest custom uniforms/logos every 2 weeks or once a month and have the option to vote and download the ones we want. Give something that allows people to express themselves and make constructive contributions to the game. Gives us more to use, and takes some load off the dev team. Win win if you ask me.

As for forcing players how to play.... Maybe if a player is continually staying offside to grieve his team(or icing non-stop, diving around everywhere, laying on the ice for extended time, etc etc), can there be an option that the game "benches" him for the remainder of a period? If the period is nearly over, then make it like maybe a 5 minute minimum or something. Game could then explain what he is doing wrong while he is benched. In essence, punish the one trying to annoy everyone while everyone else carries about playing their game. It even forces the dolt to watch others play while being on the bench. It is a childish punishment for childish behavior. Also force it that you can't quit while being benched unless you shut down the app and reboot it. I am sure that kind of hassle would get tiresome fast not to mention worst case scenario, while he is benched his "teammates" can laugh about it and make him feel worse. Pretty sure it would change his attitude or at the very least, make him want to go and play something else.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    100%!

Dont worry, theyll be back soon with a different name and advertised as all new. Theyve been doing that for years.

Can you give me an example where a feature was removed and returned as brand new, never before in the game? I'm not talking about a feature like DSS which was advertised as new and improved over the previous version.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    100%!

Can you give me an example where a feature was removed and returned as brand new, never before in the game? I'm not talking about a feature like DSS which was advertised as new and improved over the previous version.

Show me an example... just not THIS example lol wut
    100%!

Show me an example... just not THIS example lol wut

Lol exactly. I give up. Ive given videos of what they wanted proving hut attributes pretty much dont matter and the reply i get is that im supporting the ice tilt theory. Not only that, but on 2 occasions words were completely put into my mouth just to fit his narrative.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @DetroitPride2114

I understand that's a topic you want to get to the bottom of in which we already have multiple forum posts created on in that can be pulled up in search to contribute to, but let's please respect OP's post by not hijacking it into a different direction.

Let's all do our best to keep the post on topic of what @HoodHoppers wants to discuss. Thank you.
  • @DetroitPride2114

I understand that's a topic you want to get to the bottom of in which we already have multiple forum posts created on in that can be pulled up in search to contribute to, but let's please respect OP's post by not hijacking it into a different direction.

Let's all do our best to keep the post on topic of what @HoodHoppers wants to discuss. Thank you.

While i agree, where do we discuss it? The topic i made about that video mysteriously disappeared. Hmmmmm
  • I like the idea of a club practice mode. This would be nice to practice powerplay setups.
    Any thoughts on the vote to kick idea I posted above?
  • EA_Aljo
    I like the idea of a club practice mode. This would be nice to practice powerplay setups.

Club practice is something the dev team is well aware of and they'd really like to have it back. We'll have to see what happens.

As far as a vote kick goes, that too has been considered. The problem is, it also runs the risk of being abused and kicking people out when they don't deserve it. A better system needs to be made so the option comes up only when they're legitimately poorly playing. It could be a very complex feature to build.
    I like the idea of a club practice mode. This would be nice to practice powerplay setups.

Club practice is something the dev team is well aware of and they'd really like to have it back. We'll have to see what happens.

As far as a vote kick goes, that too has been considered. The problem is, it also runs the risk of being abused and kicking people out when they don't deserve it. A better system needs to be made so the option comes up only when they're legitimately poorly playing. It could be a very complex feature to build.

Yeah anything can be abused when you have trolls.. but you would need a majority vote which 1 troll cannot abuse by him/herself. Of course they could troll by starting a vote over and over and over again, you'd have to make it so they could only start maybe 1 vote per period or something?
    I know it's worked well in other games, Rainbow 6 one user mentioned, so I think it could work with NHL.

My only problem with players leaving the game is I know no other player will be coming in to replace them, so we're left with CPU players. I'd like to see the ability to join games in progress. Maybe have an option in matchmaking where you can check-mark to include current running games.

Also the ability to invite a friend into a current running game to replace a CPU player.

How about enabling a vote when a skater spends x amount of time offside? X amount of time holding the puck? Goalie spends x amount of time out of the crease? Anybody after x amount of non fighting penalties?

There are options out there that can be explored to curtail trolls and quitters but the prevailing attitude towards even trying them seems to be "what about this edge case, we can't punish the innocent". Meanwhile, the innocent are leaving your game because you won't punish or even discourage the guilty.

Fair points, but imo there are more "fair" players out there than trolls, and by far. So far, trolls have had free reign to destroy games. I would rather put my faith in a vote kick system rather than hoping trolls will all of a sudden be a thing of the past.

In either case, something has to be done, and very soon. I know people that simply do not play as the hassle for them is no longer worth it. To be honest, I am also getting very annoyed with them.
  • Destiny lfg does a fantastic job of combining the in-game matchmaking system with an outside search and pair website/app combo; NHL should be able to something similar.

In all my years playing modern hockey (started in NHL 10), I've only ever seen the population say "normal" or better maybe 15 times.

Vote to kick systems can work but in my Metal Gear Online experience, it'll be even easier to troll people - I remember people would create boosting lobbies and then kick players right before a match ended to reap the benefits; the same could happen at the end of a great game just to be a weiner to your team or to kick a good player on the other side.

Custom rules to games should instantly turn a game into casual like passwords do - I think just by allowing us to fine tune our own searches everyone will be happy.

Settings like "only match in X league/Div, or average ping of 45 or less" etc.

I think certain players should start receiving black marks and eventually they'll only be able to pair with other non desireables. High quit %, extremely low CR etc. shouldn't match with "better players.

I recently read one person saying his CR is low and has a slightly higher quit % because he apparently bounces from drop ins for his regular team when they get on- this is also a problem
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Destiny lfg does a fantastic job of combining the in-game matchmaking system with an outside search and pair website/app combo; NHL should be able to something similar.

In all my years playing modern hockey (started in NHL 10), I've only ever seen the population say "normal" or better maybe 15 times.

Vote to kick systems can work but in my Metal Gear Online experience, it'll be even easier to troll people - I remember people would create boosting lobbies and then kick players right before a match ended to reap the benefits; the same could happen at the end of a great game just to be a weiner to your team or to kick a good player on the other side.

Custom rules to games should instantly turn a game into casual like passwords do - I think just by allowing us to fine tune our own searches everyone will be happy.

Settings like "only match in X league/Div, or average ping of 45 or less" etc.

I think certain players should start receiving black marks and eventually they'll only be able to pair with other non desireables. High quit %, extremely low CR etc. shouldn't match with "better players.

I recently read one person saying his CR is low and has a slightly higher quit % because he apparently bounces from drop ins for his regular team when they get on- this is also a problem

Why would you be able to kick someone on the opposite team?

• Why would you be able to kick someone on the opposite team?

Many games that have a vote kick system are by full majority (of course, this is normally meant for blatant aim-botters and the like that just ruin for everyone).

You can do it by team but I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like seeing groups of two +join in pre-game lobby and the paranoia of knowing.they could be kicked for no reason in-game.

I'm not saying it can't work, there just need to be some safeguards in place
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Fair points, but imo there are more "fair" players out there than trolls, and by far. So far, trolls have had free reign to destroy games. I would rather put my faith in a vote kick system rather than hoping trolls will all of a sudden be a thing of the past.

In either case, something has to be done, and very soon. I know people that simply do not play as the hassle for them is no longer worth it. To be honest, I am also getting very annoyed with them.

My concern would be using it to do something like kick your human goalie when the other team has an AI goalie or possibly 3 guys running games together that want to kick everyone else so they can have AI players instead. I agree it's unlikely, but part of the design process is looking at how a new feature can be exploited and then spending a great deal of time minimizing that. There would just need to be a pretty complex system in place to limit voting so people don't get kicked unfairly and that's no easy process.