EA Forums - Banner

Best time..? (faceoff's)

Prev1
Sega82mega
3310 posts Member
edited March 2020
When is it suppose to be the best timing to go down on a faceoff? Is it right before the reff raise the hand?

The most of us start directly in the faceoff's animation. Is it becuse you charge up and gets more power when he drop the puck? Or why?

If I take the grip pretty late, I notice my players feels faster, but also my opponent. Feels like your not in same controll, but not necessary in a bad way. Almost like the game open ups abit more for booth side.

But again, if there is no lag or anything other that interfer with the gameplay, when is the perfect time to go down, that gives you most advantage, in the faceoff ring?

Oh yeah, one more question, is there any other button then the left and right thumbstick that can affects the output in the face off? I wanna know all.. Like if L2 gives you better balance or so?

Replies

• Best time to move the right stick is when the ref raises his arm. You want to be fast in setting up or else you're pretty much guaranteed to lose in my experience.

Lag plays the biggest factor in faceoffs and L2 won't give you higher balance or whatnot. The only button combo I can think of is for when you attempt to aggressively blow past the C
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Best time to move the right stick is when the ref raises his arm. You want to be fast in setting up or else you're pretty much guaranteed to lose in my experience.

Lag plays the biggest factor in faceoffs and L2 won't give you higher balance or whatnot. The only button combo I can think of is for when you attempt to aggressively blow past the C

When he raises hes arm felt early.. But you said something there, I always complaind about a delay. So I probebly need to go way more early.. started to go on other things then by follow the puck to the ice. I try to move after how the refs shadow on the ice move.. Must say its to the better. I will most deff take this further.. :)
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • EA_Blueberry
    4436 posts EA Community Manager
    The moment you see the ref move that's when you need to use your right-stick. If you feel like you're timing it perfectly and still losing face-offs, try switching up your face-off strategy. Connectivity can play a factor so if you think it might be due to that I think your best chances are to guess when it's dropping so it registers on time from the server side while it might seem too early from yours. Once you get out of that game double-check your connection.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Thank you very much Blueberry, good to hear, I will take this in knowledge!

"try switching up your face-off strategy"

By this you mean to go maybe abit later or faster?

Oh and one more question, the strenght that you use on the right trigger shouldnt effect the outcome of the faceoff's ah? Theres no disadvantage to be nice and smooth in the motion?
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Oh and one more question, the strenght that you use on the right trigger shouldnt effect the outcome of the faceoff's ah? Theres no disadvantage to be nice and smooth in the motion?

First off, if you are playing the faceoff and when the puck drops you don't see your player move? That's lag and you need to execute your play sooner. You will have to modify alot based on timing alone from game to game. Once you get the timing for the duration of that game, then focus on the faceoff strategy itself, such as backhand, forehand, tie-up, etc.
  • EA_Aljo
    2734 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »

The right trigger isn't used with faceoffs. You need to choose a grip that counters your opponent and move the right or left stick, depending on how you're trying to win it. As soon as you see the ref's hand move, that's when you try to win the faceoff.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    I usally go pretty good in faceoff's. Just by going backhand against backhand and just back to D or tie-up and if forehand comes I just lift. Of some reason im almost never go forehand.

I have tryed to locate diffrent spots on the reff, hes head moving, the elbow of the hand thats not holding the puck, and hes hollow of the knee, when it move down. To maybe find a new sweet spot to go on. But maybe I just should focus on the hand thats holding the puck..

It dosent mather if I start by going down and push my right stick back, at the same time I see a sign of the reff is about to drop the puck? Or does that make my faceoff weaker in any way?
  • EA_Aljo
    I usally go pretty good in faceoff's. Just by going backhand against backhand and just back to D or tie-up and if forehand comes I just lift. Of some reason im almost never go forehand.

I have tryed to locate diffrent spots on the reff, hes head moving, the elbow of the hand thats not holding the puck, and hes hollow of the knee, when it move down. To maybe find a new sweet spot to go on. But maybe I just should focus on the hand thats holding the puck..

It dosent mather if I start by going down and push my right stick back, at the same time I see a sign of the reff is about to drop the puck? Or does that make my faceoff weaker in any way?

I think your issue is that you're not using the right counter. You're obviously winning at times when you're countering correctly, but that's also more luck based since you're not paying attention to your opponent's grip. I use the forehand stick lift a lot. Way more than the backhand stick lift, but it just depends on my opponent. I also pay attention to which grips they use in which zone. For example, a lot of guys want to tie up in the offensive zone. So, choosing an opposite grip and winning straight back is a good counter. There are some videos online you can reference for all the counters.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I think your issue is that you're not using the right counter. You're obviously winning at times when you're countering correctly, but that's also more luck based since you're not paying attention to your opponent's grip. I use the forehand stick lift a lot. Way more than the backhand stick lift, but it just depends on my opponent. I also pay attention to which grips they use in which zone. For example, a lot of guys want to tie up in the offensive zone. So, choosing an opposite grip and winning straight back is a good counter. There are some videos online you can reference for all the counters.

What do you mean that I dont paying attention to opponents grip? If they go backhand, I go backhand, and either win it back to defender or I tie them up deppending on what plan i got, and the most easy win for me is if they go forehand, then I go backhand lift. But is there more that I should pay attention to?

I will go forehand all the way, tonight when I go a couple of games, just to see if i get a feeling for it. I love that faceoff when you from forehand put your back in and kick the puck with the skate and at the same time push them back to win some space.
  • EA_Aljo

What do you mean that I dont paying attention to opponents grip? If they go backhand, I go backhand, and either win it back to defender or I tie them up deppending on what plan i got, and the most easy win for me is if they go forehand, then I go backhand lift. But is there more that I should pay attention to?

I will go forehand all the way, tonight when I go a couple of games, just to see if i get a feeling for it. I love that faceoff when you from forehand put your back in and kick the puck with the skate and at the same time push them back to win some space.

I recommend you look up some faceoff tutorials on YouTube. It's good to use an opposite grip. Meaning, they go forehand, you go backhand and vice versa. However, I find the forehand stick lift works really well against my opponent going forehand.
  • Yes after 3-4 games this evning with only using forehand grip, I defenetly gonna add more forehand to the circel!

Thanks for all the replys by everybody.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4436 posts EA Community Manager
    @Sega82mega

This is a solid tutorial on YouTube too.

• jrago73
    623 posts Member
    It's all connection based timing. Here is my process:
    Try the first 2-3 right as the ref drops his arm with the puck, good connection means if I didn't set up poorly, I win.
    If that fails I try a few right as the ref moves (early).
    If that fails I try a few right as the puck hits the ice (late).

I can usually identify what faceoff speed I need around half way through the first period then it's just who wins mind games after that. If the other guy can't figure out his faceoff speed for that game I just enjoy the easy wins.
  • EA_Aljo
    jrago73 wrote: »
    It's all connection based timing. Here is my process:
    Try the first 2-3 right as the ref drops his arm with the puck, good connection means if I didn't set up poorly, I win.
    If that fails I try a few right as the ref moves (early).
    If that fails I try a few right as the puck hits the ice (late).

I can usually identify what faceoff speed I need around half way through the first period then it's just who wins mind games after that. If the other guy can't figure out his faceoff speed for that game I just enjoy the easy wins.

A good connection is going to help with your timing, but besides that, it comes down to using the right counter.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I recommend you look up some faceoff tutorials on YouTube. It's good to use an opposite grip. Meaning, they go forehand, you go backhand and vice versa. However, I find the forehand stick lift works really well against my opponent going forehand.

I’ve started to go opposite grip everytime now days. I like it, it make the faceoffs much more exciting. I too like the boost it give when you win thoose faceoffs.

Is this thing with opposite grip taken from real world, I have never thought about it that way?
  • nyi95
    166 posts Member
    I'd like to see the ref throw out the players from the faceoffs. Would add a little more immersion to the game.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the ref throw out the players from the faceoffs. Would add a little more immersion to the game.

Yeah I would also like that.. Maybe if you go down to early or so.. Make it even more about good timin'.
  • Here's a faceoff question I've been meaning to ask:

All of the centers on my HUT lineup have 99 faceoff rating. In online games, occasionally I get the "Lower Skill" admonition when losing a faceoff. It never happens in squad battles, even against other 99 FO centers. How can a player with 99 FO rating (the maximum possible) ever have "Lower Skill"?
  • I’m awful at faceoffs, but I guess I was always timing them wrong. It’s really supposed to be when he raises his arm huh? Seems like it should be immediately on release or at least when he starts going down with his outstretched arm. The arm moving up seems so early...
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    I go the second he drops the puck from he's hand..

*And try to follow the refs rhythm.