EA Forums - Banner

Question for the community. All are encouraged to answer (no EA people for now).

Prev1
Stovetop9620
455 posts Member
edited March 2020
Answer with a yes/no to the following questions so the responses can be compiled. I am genuinely curious to how everyone feels. This is basically a poll so I can see, definitively, where we all stand. If we are 50/50 on something, I expect things to stay the same. If we find overwhelming support/lack there of for any of these things at least EA can see it.

1. Would you agree that rather than having the AI behave in the way it does (inconsistent, often times bewildering in their decision making) you would prefer the AI to be predictable (in a hockey sense and situations)? I.E. on a 3 on 1, there is a center drive and a trailer. Every time. As there is in the real game. I.E. Upon zone entries, criss crossing at the blue line. I.E. Overlapping, close puck support in the neutral zone. I ask this more refined - would you prefer to have the AI use basic, standard hockey plays (maybe 2 or 3 variations per common situation) we all use in real life so you know where they are going to be or would you rather have them be like they are now?
2. Are you satisfied with the defensive strategies? Meaning, rather than what we have now, have box and 1, triangle and 2, zone, man to man as those are the actual names of the most common systems used.
3. Is offense overpowered in comparison to defense?
4. Intercepting passes when not facing the play is a good thing?
5. Would you agree that rather than having board play as is, a jostle system would be better? (think horse taming in Red Dead as well as fifa ball protection, defenders engage the jostle along the boards, the forward can wiggle out unless the defender matches his movements. This also applies in front of the net. Suggested to escape the feeling of truly being held.)
6. Taking time to charge passes up is a good thing?
7. The length of charging hard passes is too long?
8. Should a defender be able to intercept a slap shot on the ice from the point cleanly?
9. Should the puck take more caroms off defenders who block shots rather than falling down to the ice?
10. Is incidental contact OP?
11. Do you like incidental contact slowing players down as much as it does?
12. Should there be a stick check button (situational) rather than a poke and stick lift button separately?
13. Should vision control make you face the puck?
14. Do you like the hustle button?
15. Should lateral movement for puck carriers be nerfed?
16. Should acceleration be increased (think starting and stopping)?
17. Do the movements associated with puck pick ups and receiving passes on players moving away/opposite of the puck carrier need to be made more fluid?
18. Would you like a "first touch" mechanic similar to FIFA where the pass receiver can get moving prior to reception?
19. Should you be able to shoot hard, accurate shots with your stick curled behind you?
20. Should players who commit on a hit (not playing puck) have as high of an interception chance as they do?

I will let this fester. Let us save the debates on this stuff until after the responses have been compiled. I will tally everything up after a week or so.

Replies

• jrago73
    618 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    I can't answer yes or no to a lot of them because I disagree with the premise of the question.

1 yes
    3 yes
    4 no
    5 yes
    8 no
    9 yes
    13 yes
    14 no
    15 no
    16 yes
  • 1. Yes
    2. No, not satisfied, yes there needs to be more/different options
    3. Yes
    4. No
    5. --
    6. Good on paper, not fun in practice
    7. Yes
    8. With momentum at 0, yes
    9. With major physics changes, yes
    10. Yes and no, definitely not consistant
    11. No, needs improving
    12. No
    13. Yes
    14. Sure
    15. Yes
    16. Personally yes, for balance no
    17. Yes
    18. Yes
    19. Yes
    20. I rarely get the puck on my hits - new physics are needed
  • Answer with a yes/no to the following questions so the responses can be compiled. I am genuinely curious to how everyone feels. This is basically a poll so I can see, definitively, where we all stand. If we are 50/50 on something, I expect things to stay the same. If we find overwhelming support/lack there of for any of these things at least EA can see it.

1. Would you agree that rather than having the AI behave in the way it does (inconsistent, often times bewildering in their decision making) you would prefer the AI to be predictable (in a hockey sense and situations)? I.E. on a 3 on 1, there is a center drive and a trailer. Every time. As there is in the real game. I.E. Upon zone entries, criss crossing at the blue line. I.E. Overlapping, close puck support in the neutral zone. I ask this more refined - would you prefer to have the AI use basic, standard hockey plays (maybe 2 or 3 variations per common situation) we all use in real life so you know where they are going to be or would you rather have them be like they are now?
    2. Are you satisfied with the defensive strategies? Meaning, rather than what we have now, have box and 1, triangle and 2, zone, man to man as those are the actual names of the most common systems used.
    5. Would you agree that rather than having board play as is, a jostle system would be better? (think horse taming in Red Dead as well as fifa ball protection, defenders engage the jostle along the boards, the forward can wiggle out unless the defender matches his movements. This also applies in front of the net. Suggested to escape the feeling of truly being held.)
    8. Should a defender be able to intercept a slap shot on the ice from the point cleanly?
    9. Should the puck take more caroms off defenders who block shots rather than falling down to the ice?
    12. Should there be a stick check button (situational) rather than a poke and stick lift button separately?
    17. Do the movements associated with puck pick ups and receiving passes on players moving away/opposite of the puck carrier need to be made more fluid?
    18. Would you like a "first touch" mechanic similar to FIFA where the pass receiver can get moving prior to reception?
    19. Should you be able to shoot hard, accurate shots with your stick curled behind you?
    20. Should players who commit on a hit (not playing puck) have as high of an interception chance as they do?

I will let this fester. Let us save the debates on this stuff until after the responses have been compiled. I will tally everything up after a week or so.

Good initiative and interesting, so let's dive in:

1- Yes.

2- No.

3- Yes.

4- No.

5- Probably, but not very high on the priority list for now. Just adjust the distance from which the AI can suck you into a boardplay would be enough for now.

6- Yes.

7- No.

8- No.

9- Yes.

10- Yes. Rather, it isn't necessarily OP. It is more rewarding than body checks, and more reliable than body checks and requires minimal input/skill to pull off.

11- Hard to say as that question is more vague than it appears. I guess I would answer No.

12- No.

13- Yes.

14- Yes.

15- Yes.

16- No.

17- No for now as it is more than acceptable in its current form most times.

18- Yes.

19- No. As it is, when you curl your stick behind you you get better ability to brace for a hit, more shot power and precision, more passing precision, and yet you can still do a fully charge backhand pass with again, more precision. It gives way too many bonuses as it is. I would rather see an animation that curls the puck closer in to your body prior to a wrister for max power and accuracy (like a player does in real life).

20- I would say No, but I haven't really noticed this happening.
  • Answer with a yes/no to the following questions so the responses can be compiled. I am genuinely curious to how everyone feels. This is basically a poll so I can see, definitively, where we all stand. If we are 50/50 on something, I expect things to stay the same. If we find overwhelming support/lack there of for any of these things at least EA can see it.

1. 100% we need more static positioning assignments in all zones. I brought the up in another thread talking about how poor the AI read plays at times, and having a more static approach to their decision-making would be much more preferred to the current state of AI “dynamic” decision-making. Nobody in the history of hockey has been the backside guy on a 3-on-2 and decided “hey, I should come to a complete stop, start going towards the puck carrier, then realize he’s still 65 feet away, then try to catch up to my assignment on the backdoor” lol. That’s not decision-making, that’s outright stupidity. Obviously many of these “static” plays in both the NZ and offensive zone that you mentioned would also be miles ahead of the “dynamic” play recognition we have right now.

2. Absolutely not. When the puck is being cycled, you see almost exclusively man-to-man defense in upper-level hockey. It’s why cuts to the net work occasionally despite the pressure. Contrary to the AI in this game, nobody in real life playing the weakside, low-slot zone decides they need to go cover the weakside corner/point leaving a guy wide open. Refined strategies would lead to refined gameplay and game experiences, despite the “static” nature of them.

3. It’s not OP to a point where you can’t defend if you’re very good, but clearly offensive players have a much lower “risk/reward” complex to their play. Skating into 3+ defenders (online I should add) can lead to you still retaining puck possession due to a lack of physical play and incidental body contact. The sad part is, all of this is fixable via the sliders currently in the game, but the streamers would hate it.

4. In certain scenarios, this is totally possible. I see this happen irl IF a player was looking at the puck, pivoted away and put their stick out as sort of an “educated guess” if you will. So I wouldn’t rule it out, but it requires the player to have seen the puck within the last few seconds.

5. Obviously board play needs improvement, but a defender who executed a great pin would give the attacking player the sensation of not being able to move. You’re in a vulnerable position, and if the defender pins you with a leg between your legs and has leverage, you’re not getting out of that pin until he wants. Not saying the defender shouldn’t be able to get a “hold” of they don’t let up, but I certainly don’t think an attacker should always be able to break a pin. That being said, a refund jostling system and the strength attribute coming into play would certainly be a welcomed addition.

6. I would love to see a 3-point passing system implemented in the game. Min, medium, max are the only three passing levels I think we need in this game. I use 0 pass assist and manual passing offline, but I don’t find myself really (purposefully) using anything outside those three distinct passing levels. Would make passing more crisp and consistent if they added something like that.

7. I would like see the time reduced but also the default max pass speed decreased as well. 55-59 range seems to be a lot more realistic than 65. I would like to see pickup-type, body position, intended target position to have HUGE impacts on touch passing at full speed as well if the time it takes to make a full speed pass is decreased to simply a button push.

8. Maybe not cleanly, but I’ve seen this happen in an NHL game. If the puck is flat, it’s nothing more than a severely hard pass which wouldn’t be controlled perfectly, but could definitely be “intercepted”

9. 100% yes. Deflected shots are abysmal right now. Everything just dies right in-front of the blocker, even if it hits the shaft of the stick. This needs drastic improvement.

10. Absolutely not. I run much higher incidental contact offline and it results in a much more realistic experience. The key is toning down the “stumble threshold” and almost maxing the “stumble and fall threshold”. I’ve seen this result in way less mini-bumps, but incidental contact with speed results in legitimate long stumble animations which I feel like is the perfect balance everyone is wishing for online.

11. Yes, body positioning should matter for more than having the puck hit your skate in hopes of gaining possession. Defenders are allowed their lane on the ice, it’s why attacker dumb and zig-zag in real life when chasing the puck.

12. If the “auto-backskate” feature is any indication of how well this “stick-check” button would determine what the users wants, I’m going to go with no on this one.

13. No. They just need to make online game speeds, agility, acceleration toned down so you can actually precisely control your player. Default game speeds feel like everyone is on an air hockey table.

14. My controllers don’t, but the system is fine. I like the gradual “speed burst” compared to the old-school “push button for super speed” mechanic.

15. 100% yes. I’m afraid to switch my new slider set as my game has been playing perfectly with latest set keeping all skating at default, but before I had a set where puck skater speed was at 87 and agility was at 0. Your agility is within your RS and Deke movements. You don’t need default skating agility as well. Deke moves should be way more successful in this game which would allow this system to work.

16. No. Agility for non-puck carriers should be increased, overall game speed should decrease, but acceleration seems fine.

17. These puck pickups have been a disaster since implementation and I still see my players lose all momentum and speed more than 50% of the time on my set (skating is completely default competitive values) when receiving a pass. This new puck pickup animation system was supposed to tackle that, but it’s remained rather inconsistent.

18. Yes. Would love to see RS flicks when receiving a pass allow me to tip the puck to an open space of ice to my immediate area in whatever direction I choose (and R3 for a chip/dump). Based on the context of my skating, I’d either tap it and make a quick cut (like the LB + LS moves) or if I’m standing still/gliding I’d tap the puck to the area and my guy would have some animation to have my guy start skating in that direction (the puck would obviously be loose though like FIFA in these scenarios)

19. I know the position you’re talking about and the answer is no. There should be a power and accuracy boost for loading up a shot with the correct amount of “curl” but yes, there’s a certain line in this game where you can curl way too far to possible have a chit and choosing anything more than a sweeping shot where the puck would stay on the ice. That needs more fine-tuning for sure.

20. No idea what you’re asking about here. If they “commit” on a hit, then they’re holding RS and will not intercept the puck. Now, if the puck just hits them while doing this, why would their body not be solid just being they’re being somewhat stupid/risky?
  • 1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. No
    5. Maybe
    6. No
    7. Yes
    8. No
    9. Yes
    10. Yes
    11. No
    12. Maybe - I'd rather have the poke checks and stick lifts be more versatile and dynamic
    13. Yes - Vision Control should be used for a lot of things
    14. No
    15. Yes
    16. No
    17. Yes
    18. Maybe
    19. No - If it's in an unnatural shooting position
    20. No
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    So it has festered a little. Some of the questions either didn't make sense or were, totally, biased. Plus, it has been brought to my attention the consideration of "priority".

Given that, I will refine and delete some of these questions.

1. Would you agree that rather than having the AI behave in the way it does (inconsistent, often times bewildering in their decision making) you would prefer the AI to be predictable (in a hockey sense and situations)? I.E. on a 3 on 1, there is a center drive and a trailer. Every time. As there is in the real game. I.E. Upon zone entries, criss crossing at the blue line. I.E. Overlapping, close puck support in the neutral zone. I ask this more refined - would you prefer to have the AI use basic, standard hockey plays (maybe 2 or 3 variations per common situation) we all use in real life so you know where they are going to be or would you rather have them be like they are now? (current vote 5 yes, 0 no)
    2. Are you satisfied with the defensive strategies? Meaning, rather than what we have now, have box and 1, triangle and 2, zone, man to man as those are the actual names of the most common systems used. (current vote 4 no, 0 yes, 1 not answered)
    3. REMOVED
    4. Intercepting passes when not facing the play is a good thing? (current vote 4 no, 1 yes and a very good explanation given)
    5. REMOVED
    6. REMOVED
    7. REMOVED
    8. REMOVED
    9. Should the puck take more caroms off defenders who block shots rather than falling down to the ice? (current vote 5 yes, 0 no)
    10. REMOVED
    11. REMOVED
    12. REMOVED
    13. Should vision control make you face the puck? (current vote 4 yes, 1 no and a very good explanation given)
    14. REMOVED
    15. REMOVED
    16. REMOVED
    17. REMOVED
    18. REMOVED
    19. REMOVED
    20. REMOVED

So, after a few weeks I loaded up and played again with my sliders I use on Superstar. I have left in the questions/suggestions I find most important/non-biased.

My votes:

1. Yes. The reason being is when I examine breakouts, move ins, offensive zone movements, the AI truly bewilders me. I find myself, often, having to react by what my AI does rather than going for a play I know I would do in the real game. Attacking in straight lines, getting "stuck" on other players, skating out of support. All things that are not working. This is undeniable. I believe if more people answer this question the support for it would be upwards of 85%.
    2. No. Same as #1. When I really examine my AI guys in the defensive zone they make no sense.
    4. No. It is possible, for sure, but the frequency in which it happens and the lack of any semblance of positioning whenever this does happen is lousy. If you were never in position, and never even saw the puck, you should never intercept it.
    9. Yes. Nothing is more maddening than trying to clear your zone with a slapshot all for the defender to stick his stick out and the puck drop right down like nothing happened. It is even worse when someone L1 blocks and the puck not only drops to his feet but he can then make a quick counter attack fluidly like he did not get hit with a 3 pound puck at 88 mph.
    13. Yes. Since the update, you can be in position but facing up ice and cannot intercept a puck you should and would intercept.

The way I see it, these are the most important things. The other questions are not a priority and were slanted. I think my frustration with this game has overflown, unfortunately. I want to like playing it. I really do.

I want the game to be hockey. That is it. Not roller hockey, not NHL hitz. Hockey. How much would people hate it if Madden got rid of the off tackle? How about if NBA got rid of the pick and roll? I want real plays and real strategies.

1. 100% we need more static positioning assignments in all zones. I brought the up in another thread talking about how poor the AI read plays at times, and having a more static approach to their decision-making would be much more preferred to the current state of AI “dynamic” decision-making. Nobody in the history of hockey has been the backside guy on a 3-on-2 and decided “hey, I should come to a complete stop, start going towards the puck carrier, then realize he’s still 65 feet away, then try to catch up to my assignment on the backdoor” lol. That’s not decision-making, that’s outright stupidity. Obviously many of these “static” plays in both the NZ and offensive zone that you mentioned would also be miles ahead of the “dynamic” play recognition we have right now.

2. Absolutely not. When the puck is being cycled, you see almost exclusively man-to-man defense in upper-level hockey. It’s why cuts to the net work occasionally despite the pressure. Contrary to the AI in this game, nobody in real life playing the weakside, low-slot zone decides they need to go cover the weakside corner/point leaving a guy wide open. Refined strategies would lead to refined gameplay and game experiences, despite the “static” nature of them.

3. It’s not OP to a point where you can’t defend if you’re very good, but clearly offensive players have a much lower “risk/reward” complex to their play. Skating into 3+ defenders (online I should add) can lead to you still retaining puck possession due to a lack of physical play and incidental body contact. The sad part is, all of this is fixable via the sliders currently in the game, but the streamers would hate it.

4. In certain scenarios, this is totally possible. I see this happen irl IF a player was looking at the puck, pivoted away and put their stick out as sort of an “educated guess” if you will. So I wouldn’t rule it out, but it requires the player to have seen the puck within the last few seconds.

5. Obviously board play needs improvement, but a defender who executed a great pin would give the attacking player the sensation of not being able to move. You’re in a vulnerable position, and if the defender pins you with a leg between your legs and has leverage, you’re not getting out of that pin until he wants. Not saying the defender shouldn’t be able to get a “hold” of they don’t let up, but I certainly don’t think an attacker should always be able to break a pin. That being said, a refund jostling system and the strength attribute coming into play would certainly be a welcomed addition.

6. I would love to see a 3-point passing system implemented in the game. Min, medium, max are the only three passing levels I think we need in this game. I use 0 pass assist and manual passing offline, but I don’t find myself really (purposefully) using anything outside those three distinct passing levels. Would make passing more crisp and consistent if they added something like that.

7. I would like see the time reduced but also the default max pass speed decreased as well. 55-59 range seems to be a lot more realistic than 65. I would like to see pickup-type, body position, intended target position to have HUGE impacts on touch passing at full speed as well if the time it takes to make a full speed pass is decreased to simply a button push.

8. Maybe not cleanly, but I’ve seen this happen in an NHL game. If the puck is flat, it’s nothing more than a severely hard pass which wouldn’t be controlled perfectly, but could definitely be “intercepted”

9. 100% yes. Deflected shots are abysmal right now. Everything just dies right in-front of the blocker, even if it hits the shaft of the stick. This needs drastic improvement.

10. Absolutely not. I run much higher incidental contact offline and it results in a much more realistic experience. The key is toning down the “stumble threshold” and almost maxing the “stumble and fall threshold”. I’ve seen this result in way less mini-bumps, but incidental contact with speed results in legitimate long stumble animations which I feel like is the perfect balance everyone is wishing for online.

11. Yes, body positioning should matter for more than having the puck hit your skate in hopes of gaining possession. Defenders are allowed their lane on the ice, it’s why attacker dumb and zig-zag in real life when chasing the puck.

12. If the “auto-backskate” feature is any indication of how well this “stick-check” button would determine what the users wants, I’m going to go with no on this one.

13. No. They just need to make online game speeds, agility, acceleration toned down so you can actually precisely control your player. Default game speeds feel like everyone is on an air hockey table.

14. My controllers don’t, but the system is fine. I like the gradual “speed burst” compared to the old-school “push button for super speed” mechanic.

15. 100% yes. I’m afraid to switch my new slider set as my game has been playing perfectly with latest set keeping all skating at default, but before I had a set where puck skater speed was at 87 and agility was at 0. Your agility is within your RS and Deke movements. You don’t need default skating agility as well. Deke moves should be way more successful in this game which would allow this system to work.

16. No. Agility for non-puck carriers should be increased, overall game speed should decrease, but acceleration seems fine.

17. These puck pickups have been a disaster since implementation and I still see my players lose all momentum and speed more than 50% of the time on my set (skating is completely default competitive values) when receiving a pass. This new puck pickup animation system was supposed to tackle that, but it’s remained rather inconsistent.

18. Yes. Would love to see RS flicks when receiving a pass allow me to tip the puck to an open space of ice to my immediate area in whatever direction I choose (and R3 for a chip/dump). Based on the context of my skating, I’d either tap it and make a quick cut (like the LB + LS moves) or if I’m standing still/gliding I’d tap the puck to the area and my guy would have some animation to have my guy start skating in that direction (the puck would obviously be loose though like FIFA in these scenarios)

19. I know the position you’re talking about and the answer is no. There should be a power and accuracy boost for loading up a shot with the correct amount of “curl” but yes, there’s a certain line in this game where you can curl way too far to possible have a chit and choosing anything more than a sweeping shot where the puck would stay on the ice. That needs more fine-tuning for sure.

20. No idea what you’re asking about here. If they “commit” on a hit, then they’re holding RS and will not intercept the puck. Now, if the puck just hits them while doing this, why would their body not be solid just being they’re being somewhat stupid/risky?

Real solid, thorough responses.

@untouchable_BF1 Share your sliders with me in a message. I am running a set right now that is fun but I am always looking for refinement. Anything to help me enjoy this game again is welcomed.

Real solid, thorough responses.

@untouchable_BF1 Share your sliders with me in a message. I am running a set right now that is fun but I am always looking for refinement. Anything to help me enjoy this game again is welcomed.

Thank you. I’m bummed this post didn’t get more responses. I’ll send you the set when I get a chance to write it down, but I do use “season mode” so that I can edit both team’s strategies to help them play more aggressive, and I also rock custom 6’4” goalies in every team so those sliders might be skewed as well.

I have a very unique way of playing, but it’s the only to play this game offline imo as the default strats are laughably passive and boring compared to a real NHL game.
  • [/quote]Thank you. I’m bummed this post didn’t get more responses. I’ll send you the set when I get a chance to write it down, but I do use “season mode” so that I can edit both team’s strategies to help them play more aggressive, and I also rock custom 6’4” goalies in every team so those sliders might be skewed as well.

I have a very unique way of playing, but it’s the only to play this game offline imo as the default strats are laughably passive and boring compared to a real NHL game.[/quote]

@untouchable_BF1

I use some pretty extreme sliders from OS. When I get a chance I will send mine as well. Maybe we can learn something/enhance our versions from each other.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    Hey Stove and Untouchable, any way u guys can share those sliders in here? I too am always looking for a good set to use offline. I've tried so many from operation sports but while some things i like,others i don't. Always willing to try something new. Hope u can. Thx to both of you.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    nyi95 wrote: »
    Hey Stove and Untouchable, any way u guys can share those sliders in here? I too am always looking for a good set to use offline. I've tried so many from operation sports but while some things i like,others i don't. Always willing to try something new. Hope u can. Thx to both of you.

What period length are you looking to play?
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    @nyi95 and @untouchable_BF1

Here is what I use. I will add some notes to mention what I am tweaking/what is needed for improvement.

Superstar
    6 minute periods
    Fighting 1/2
    Penalties 1/4
    Penalty time scaling 1/6
    Coincidental time scaling 0/6

GENERAL:

Attribute effect 10/10
    Broken Sticks 32/100 (I still think it is too high, maybe try 30?)
    Game speed at 0/6
    Fatigue effect 85/100
    Fatigue recovery 45/100
    Injury Occurrence 43/100

SKATING:

Back skating 45/100 (This should probably be decreased to 25-35ish. Reason being, no defender in NHL history has been able to man up a guy coming across the blue line and remain in back skate all the way down to the goal line. You have to pivot at some point.)
    Hustle type Authentic (I wish I could turn it off, I hate hustle in this game. It is a crutch.)
    Puck Carrier Agility 41/100 (still tweaking it, probably going to decrease this. You can still ballerina a bit too much)
    Puck Carrier Skating 25/100 (I find that this is good but the balance between back skating and agility has to coincide)
    Acceleration 52/100 (Could probably decrease this one too)
    Speed 55/100
    Agility 60/100 (may decrease)

SHOOTING:

One Timer Accuracy 40/100
    Shot Accuracy 47/100
    Shot Power 48/100 (No matter what you do, clearing shots from your own zone are muffins. It's dumb.)
    Slap Shot Accuracy 50/100
    Slap Shot Power 48/100

PASSING (this one is VITAL. The way these are designed, you have a lot of error going on, much like real hockey):

Manual Passing on
    Pass Assist 12/100 (you have to get used to aiming your passes with this. You can, however, throw passes a bit ahead/behind the receiver and/or into space more often though)
    Min Pass Speed 25/100 (Hockey players pass hard, I do not like the passing in this game but this lets you have some touch)
    Max Pass Speed 80/100
    Saucer Pass Speed 50/100
    Pass Accuracy 7/100 (You get a lot of CPU missed passes this way. Makes it more fun because nobody throws a perfect pass every time)
    Pass Interceptions 71/100 (There is no way to mitigate the inconsistency)
    Pass Reception Ease 50/100
    Reception Reaction Time 100/100 (This could probably get lowered to 75-85ish for close quarters passing)
    Puck Control Rating Effect 62/100 (Maybe increase it to 65-70. It allows player differentiation)
    Puck Speed Reception Effect 90/100 (Could probably get lowered to 80-85ish)
    Pickup Type Effect 100/100 (Could probably go down to 90-95ish)
    Bouncing Puck Reception 14/100 (Could probably lower this too. Maybe to 10)

PUCK CONTROL:

Incidental Contact Immunity 0/100
    Puck Control 49/100
    Deking Impact 49/100
    Spin Deke Impact 39/100
    Skating Impact 79/100

GOALIES (CRUCIAL):

Cover Frequency 55/100
    Goalie Passing 70/100
    Cross Crease Reaction Time 100/100 (Sounds crazy, see the next category. You can still score on them. It just isn't mindless anymore)
    Goalie Save Reaction Time 25/100 (No, your goalies do not turn to garbage when you do this. It is more coupled with screen effect and shot accuracy being tweaked)
    Goalie Deflection Reaction Time 25/100 (You want tip ins and actual screens? Do this)
    Goalie Screen Effect 75/100
    Goalie Screen Persistence 45/100

CHECKING (Needs minor tweaks but is VITAL to making this all coincide):

Board Effect 7/100 for both puck carrier and non puck carrier
    Hitting Assistance 12/100
    Stumble Threshold 100/100 (Maybe lowered to 80-90 depending on how it feels)
    Fall and Stumble Ease 21/100
    Aggression 34/100
    Hitting Power 27/100
    Size Effect 40/100
    Speed Effect 30/100
    Checking/Balance Rating Effect 100/100
    Preparedness Effect 39/100
    Incidental Contact Effect 20/100 (I despise incidental contact being an effective interference tool in this game. While there is no real way to mitigate your guys getting "stuck" in the neutral zone, this provides slight relief)
    Poke Checking Accuracy 50/100
    Poke Checking Power 50/100
    Stick Lift Effectiveness 35/100

PENALTIES:

No matter what I do I cannot create diversity in penalties. Tripping (30/100), slashing (30/100) are the most common by a long shot. I have seen, maybe, 3 elbowing calls (75/100). High sticking (75/100) happens, still rare. Cross checking (75/100) I do not think I have ever seen one. Boarding (55/100), Charging (50/100) is kind of a duh. The CPU rarely gets called for these. Delay of Game (50/100) is something I turn down because I hate the dump mechanic and refuse to allow that to give me power plays. Holding (50/100) is messed up. If you turn it up, the CPU will get called for board pins. If you turn it down, you'll never see it. Hooking (30/100), tripping and slashing take this one out of the game. If you turn it up to, say 65, as I have, the game still does not really call it. Interference (85/100). If it were me, incidental contact, skating into another dude and taking his space away would be a penalty every time. Still, at 85, you rarely see it.

CPU Penalties 2/100 (Even at 2 some games the CPU spends an eternity in the box. You take it to 1-0 they are never there)
    Teammate penalties 7/100 (If I turn this down, they will not take penalties and I rarely do. It is the only way to be on the PK)

AI (CRITICAL):

AI LEARNING 0/6 (This is a must. AI Learning translates to: The AI will get an unfair advantage and the game becomes monotonous. Turn it off. It allows for some variety)
    CPU Difficult Adjustment 0/6 (All this one does is give the CPU a boost. You will not need it with these sliders as 1/10 games I will win 7-0. Most of my games are 2 goal games. I win about 55-60%)
    CPU faceoff difficulty 60/100 (I pulverize the CPU on the regular setting, hence my turning it up)
    Fight Difficulty 50/100 (meh)
    CPU Strategy Adjustment 3/6 (This one is hit or miss)
    User Strategy 1/6 (All 1 does is let the AI pull your goalie on the fly for you)

This slider set does a few things:

1. The puck is LOOSE a lot. Since poke/stick lift is meh, you can bump guys off the puck. Maybe it is a little high but after you play 10 games this way it becomes kind of fun and doesn't allow for ballerina crap. You can get bumped as well. Forces puck movement.
    2. Passing is error filled, as it should be. BUT, you can have a bit more precision this way.

I say, try this for 10 games. Bear with it, after that, let's talk about it.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • I’ll try to post mine. Mine are supposed to simulate more realistic “esport” sliders compared to real hockey. They’re fast, you. Can deke, shots can be accurate, but fatigue plays a huge role and hitting actually works. I also have custom made goalies to make it even harder to score. I can post but they might not play the best depending on your setup.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    Ea Dev. Anywhere between 6 or 8 mins. Have to try Stoves set a couple of games and see where the shot totals lie.

Stove, thx man, I'll give these a whirl.

Untouchable, looking forward to yours as well. Thx.

Stay safe everybody.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Ea Dev. Anywhere between 6 or 8 mins. Have to try Stoves set a couple of games and see where the shot totals lie.

Stay safe everybody.

@nyi95

No problem bud. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. The sliders I recommended changing, change them accordingly. Shot totals are usually around 25-35 a side depending on the quality of your opponent.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer

Stay safe everybody.

I have a set right now that is pretty good for 10 mins as the sims we were looking at were asking to be longer. Always get around 60 total shots between the two teams and 2-3 PPs per team on average. So far, ai vs ai scores have been 1-0 OT/Shootout all the way up to 6-1 over the sample size of 10 games or so. I played a couple after doing those sims and won a game 4-2 and lost a game 3-1 as well. I was playing from True Broadcast so not sure how much different it would be from another camera that is a bit easier to play from.

For the settings you are going to try, I wouldn't recommend lowering the actual game speed but it seems many like to do that. It essentially just lowers the frequency of how the game plays back so it may just be better to lower the actual sliders to slow things down so that you still get a proper refresh rate. I would have to ask one of our engineers exactly what it is doing though. It works as a good overall way to slow things down but if you are going to go in and tweak sliders anyways, you are better to leave it in my experience.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    EA Dev. Is it possible for you to post your sliders? Would appreciate it if you could. Thx in advance. When ever you get a chance. I know you're probably busy. Thx again.
  • I think you know the answer to all of these OP
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    EADev. Thank you. Will be trying them out tonight. Let you know after about 10 games or so. Thx again.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Stay safe everybody.

I have a set right now that is pretty good for 10 mins as the sims we were looking at were asking to be longer. Always get around 60 total shots between the two teams and 2-3 PPs per team on average. So far, ai vs ai scores have been 1-0 OT/Shootout all the way up to 6-1 over the sample size of 10 games or so. I played a couple after doing those sims and won a game 4-2 and lost a game 3-1 as well. I was playing from True Broadcast so not sure how much different it would be from another camera that is a bit easier to play from.

For the settings you are going to try, I wouldn't recommend lowering the actual game speed but it seems many like to do that. It essentially just lowers the frequency of how the game plays back so it may just be better to lower the actual sliders to slow things down so that you still get a proper refresh rate. I would have to ask one of our engineers exactly what it is doing though. It works as a good overall way to slow things down but if you are going to go in and tweak sliders anyways, you are better to leave it in my experience.

I agree with your last part. The animations just look and feel better at game speed 3. I’d encourage others to drastically lower the acceleration slider to get a slower paced game. Continue to drop the speed as well if it’s still too fast.