EA Forums - Banner

Maybe changing strategies is the answer

I know people have often wondered why, when playing SB games, that the AI really seems to play differently from game to game on the same skill level.
I just had a game on Pro against an 86 team that demonstrated that. Usually I have no trouble scoring and outplay the AI in most areas on Pro but this game they were very hard checking and got up on me 2-0 with 7:21 left in the game. I went in and changed all my settings to max pressure, pinch, high def pressure etc. and proceeded to score three goals, the last with 2.7 to go, to eak out the win. Really turned the feel of the game around. Maybe when you find yourself getting unusual pushback from the AI try changing strategies.
I know EA never admits to varying the way teams play in some random hidden way and flatly denies ice tilt and comeback logic (which didn't apply in this case), so looking at just average players playing lights out, what else can it be besides strategies? How else could I play a game against 90+ teams and win easily and then have a real struggle beating an 80 team on the same level?

Replies

• boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    It is part due to the strategies that the AI uses and also because you can have a 90 overall team with small players with no speed or any other weaknesses and you can also face a super well built team with the best attributes with the same overall or lower. Most of the time though, you can just switch strategies and it should do the trick as long as you don’t wait too late in the game to do it.
    Post edited by boumbidiboum on
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    While there is no ice tilt, the AI teams will adjust strategies and how they play depending on the conditions. For example, if they're down in the 3rd, they'll fight very hard to come back. This is when you see them whipping around passes faster. You have to try to cut off their lanes to the net as they're passing around trying to pull you out of position for those open lanes. If you don't give it to them, they eventually take a shot that gets blocked and is very often a turnover in your favor.
  • that and the fact that your cards have no value in squad battles. people continue to report like the op, that lesser value teams are dominating higher value teams, and it should be the other way around...….so fairness adjustment, or really bad programming? which one? can not be anything else
  • that and the fact that your cards have no value in squad battles. people continue to report like the op, that lesser value teams are dominating higher value teams, and it should be the other way around...….so fairness adjustment, or really bad programming? which one? can not be anything else

No, I don't want to go there. When the devs repeatedly tell you this isn't the case, maybe believe them? We know teams give you different games on the same diff. and we've been trying to explain it. I heard it said that the overall doesn't factor in as much as past years, so that would explain why your stacked team is having trouble. I've had the theory that within a difficulty level there can be a random level of intensity for each game from the AI, easy pro, middle pro, hard pro but I've never heard that asked or confirmed.
    If there really is nothing hidden affecting things, then it has to be strategies. I don't go along with the idea of a team being well built playing lights out, especially at lower overalls. That makes no sense. They're all scrubs no matter how you cut it. How many times have you seen a team score a wicked goal and found it the guy was a 75 who scored it. But strategies could factor in, and I've confirmed it by another game, that if the AI gives you pressure, turning up your own pressure can exploit they're going all in offensively. It seemed counterintuitive, and that you may open yourself up defensively, but that's not what I found.
    There's also no doubt that the jump from pro to all star is huge and makes low level teams play insanely good, though not all the time (strategies).
  • xPDogg65x
    829 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    It doesn’t make sense that the AI with all silver players on the ice can tic tac pass tape to tape at will. At any skill level.

No, I don't want to go there. When the devs repeatedly tell you this isn't the case, maybe believe them? We know teams give you different games on the same diff. and we've been trying to explain it. I heard it said that the overall doesn't factor in as much as past years, so that would explain why your stacked team is having trouble. I've had the theory that within a difficulty level there can be a random level of intensity for each game from the AI, easy pro, middle pro, hard pro but I've never heard that asked or confirmed.
    If there really is nothing hidden affecting things, then it has to be strategies. I don't go along with the idea of a team being well built playing lights out, especially at lower overalls. That makes no sense. They're all scrubs no matter how you cut it. How many times have you seen a team score a wicked goal and found it the guy was a 75 who scored it. But strategies could factor in, and I've confirmed it by another game, that if the AI gives you pressure, turning up your own pressure can exploit they're going all in offensively. It seemed counterintuitive, and that you may open yourself up defensively, but that's not what I found.
    There's also no doubt that the jump from pro to all star is huge and makes low level teams play insanely good, though not all the time (strategies).

That’s right. The reasons why you find All-Star to be a good jump from Pro are probably because Pro is the last difficulty where you have an advantage in your attributes (the CPU is handicapped) and/or the game speed change (but it is not a big speed change so it is probably the other reason). On Pro and the lower difficulties, the CPU get its attributes drop down. On All-Star, nobody get any boost or drop (This is why they use All-Star in the competitive online modes). On Superstar, you get the drop in attributes. As you go up in difficulties, the game speed get faster so you need to react faster and on Superstar even be one step ahead in your head to even have a chance to win. You can easily see that in games, if you play Pro or lower, you can pretty much outskate any cpu even with players that are not that fast. On the higher level, you get caught more and it forces you to be more creative and find other plays. You’ll get so breakaway from time to time, but not as much as in the lower levels.

For the strategies, it works to change them, but you need to be careful still (at least on Superstar). I don’t play the other levels unless it is for a challenge because it is way to easy for myself, I have no fun and win by more than 10 goals every games even without concentrating. On higher levels, you need to change your strategies to counter the cpu, not just increase pressure in general. Sometimes, just by using more forecheck (moving the slider to the right) or going full attack. Even just changing the defensive pressure to counter the cpu offensive style can do the trick some times. If you see that they are getting in the crease to easily, you go collapsing. If they take point shots, you go high point. I usually start in the middle with my strategies and then change them to what I need. Some games, you don’t even need to change them because it works.

Anyway that’s just my opinion and technique, maybe there’s another way to win beside glitching and cheating (which is quite stupid to do against cpu, it doesn’t show anything beside the fact that you can exploit the game) .

Bad players make that claim. The only teams giving my stacked team any issue, are 95+ teams that are equally stacked.
  • Bad players make that claim. The only teams giving my stacked team any issue, are 95+ teams that are equally stacked.

I agree. My regular lineup is 94 OVR. I also keep an 84 OVR lineup and a 70-something lineup that I use for challenges that are just too easy for my regular lineup. The difference between the 3 lineups are very, very noticable. The 70-something lineup misses the net constantly and can't hit to save their lives. The 84 OVR lineup is okay, they just aren't that fast. The 94 OVR, as you'd expect, is fast, strong, and snipes with relative ease. Your cards do matter.

The differences between SB opponents are also very noticable. I can now beat under-80 opponents on Superstar, usually with ease, and can beat weaker low-80s opponents on Superstar as well. Most 80-something overall opponents I can beat on All-Star, but are just too tough on Superstar. And most 90+ opponents are just too tough for me on All-Star, so I end up playing them on Pro.

One thing I'd note when looking at overalls is that the backup goalie has a massive effect on them. I often see squads with a bronze backup goalie that have a OVR that's 4-5 points lower than it really should be. And less frequently I'll see a really weak squad with a stronger backup goalie, they're OVR is higher than it should be. I always take that into account when choosing which difficulty to play them on.

Back to the original question about strategies. Whenever my AI players seem to be playing poorly and are getting out of position, I'll change up at least one strategy. That usually knocks them back into playing as they're supposed too.

I meant for this to be a quick reply... sorry it turned into such a long post. Cheers.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Bad players make that claim. The only teams giving my stacked team any issue, are 95+ teams that are equally stacked.

I agree. My regular lineup is 94 OVR. I also keep an 84 OVR lineup and a 70-something lineup that I use for challenges that are just too easy for my regular lineup. The difference between the 3 lineups are very, very noticable. The 70-something lineup misses the net constantly and can't hit to save their lives. The 84 OVR lineup is okay, they just aren't that fast. The 94 OVR, as you'd expect, is fast, strong, and snipes with relative ease. Your cards do matter.

The differences between SB opponents are also very noticable. I can now beat under-80 opponents on Superstar, usually with ease, and can beat weaker low-80s opponents on Superstar as well. Most 80-something overall opponents I can beat on All-Star, but are just too tough on Superstar. And most 90+ opponents are just too tough for me on All-Star, so I end up playing them on Pro.

One thing I'd note when looking at overalls is that the backup goalie has a massive effect on them. I often see squads with a bronze backup goalie that have a OVR that's 4-5 points lower than it really should be. And less frequently I'll see a really weak squad with a stronger backup goalie, they're OVR is higher than it should be. I always take that into account when choosing which difficulty to play them on.

Back to the original question about strategies. Whenever my AI players seem to be playing poorly and are getting out of position, I'll change up at least one strategy. That usually knocks them back into playing as they're supposed too.

I meant for this to be a quick reply... sorry it turned into such a long post. Cheers.

It's still really strange to me how some games that you'd think would be hard turn out easy. My skill level is that I am really taking a chance to play any team over 80 on all star, so I mostly play pro above that. I had the hardest time against an 86 team on pro, won in OT and today I played the new featured squad, a 95 on pro and it was the easiest game ever and I won 5-0. They were terrible on defense and couldn't get around me on offense. I've seen it way different for the same overall teams in the past and lost those games. Blows me away how it can vary.
  • It's still really strange to me how some games that you'd think would be hard turn out easy. My skill level is that I am really taking a chance to play any team over 80 on all star, so I mostly play pro above that. I had the hardest time against an 86 team on pro, won in OT and today I played the new featured squad, a 95 on pro and it was the easiest game ever and I won 5-0. They were terrible on defense and couldn't get around me on offense. I've seen it way different for the same overall teams in the past and lost those games. Blows me away how it can vary.

Yeah, I definately see that at times... I think a squad should be a tough fight on whatever difficulty and it turns out easy, and I've seen the opposite where a squad I expect to handle with relative ease becomes a real battle. I think it's a combination of factors. Largely it's a matter of how I happen to play that game... I have some down days where I just can't play at my usual level, and other days where I feel like I can do no wrong. Also the makeup of the squad can matter... two squads of the same OVR aren't necessarily put together at the same quality. There can be poor or excellent line combos. More or fewer synergies. A team full of larger players is often tougher to play against. Another factor would be their strategies. Overly passive or overly aggressive squads tend to be easier to beat than squads with more balances strats. Also certain goalies are really tough for me to score on, while other certain goalies I can score very easily for the OVR rating. I always have an easy time scoring on that 91 Winternational Rinne so many people have (I find his base card somewhat tougher), while any Markstrom (even his 79 base card) absolutely gives me fits. :shrug: