EA Forums - Banner

Pre-Lobby Connections for EASHL

I think a good addition/change to the pre-lobby screen for EASHL is showing the actually ping value for match. Just showing good/fair/poor can be misleading. Good can be anywhere from 30 ms to 90 ms. The variance between those two connection speeds can make a huge difference for the in-game play.

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    4638 posts EA Community Manager
    @ChemWarfare94

If your connectivity wasn't good one day would you be concerned other players would dodge from playing you?
  • @ChemWarfare94

If your connectivity wasn't good one day would you be concerned other players would dodge from playing you?

So you want to trick people into playing games with bad connections that they can't leave without penalty?
  • EA_Blueberry
    4638 posts EA Community Manager
    @jmwalsh8888

There's a difference between a user's connectivity that might need to be refreshed through connection troubleshooting or overall server improvements from our side NHL team, and a difference between implying the team is somehow designing current features to trick players into having poor experiences.

Let's say it's added tomorrow. These are the positives:
    1. The visibility is nice to have because if someone noticed their ping was higher than usual, they could try rebooting the network real fast to see if it improves, avoiding a game that could have been frustrating.
    2. You can be particular on who you want to face to have the BEST experience possible from a latency perspective (however this is a catch 22 with what can result below)

This is what I foresee happening from the negative impact of it:
    1. "Before the game starts about 2-3 players always bail out last second because they change their minds on playing those opponents because of their pings."
    2. "We've been sitting in the lobby for over 20 minutes because nobody wants to match up with my friends and I that are spaced out across the country."

If we revisit my first sentence, this could potentially be solved from the root cause by making improvements from the server side rather than design new features that could open up a door for other potential issues that arise from human behavior. Do you all have any examples of games where ping is shown in pre-game lobby? I'm only familiar with titles where it shows it on the leaderboard once you're actually in the match.

• I think @ChemWarfare94 just wants more precise information about his connection to the server in the pre-game lobby. I don't read his request as having anything to do with other player's connection.

And he's right. The green/yellow/red info we currently have is somewhat useful but "green" has a pretty big range and at the top end the lag is pretty bad IMO.
  • @ChemWarfare94

I just want to know whether or not my player will be responsive. It's really annoying playing with input lag. Making precise movements as a defender is impossible without a good connection.
  • @ChemWarfare94

People dodge my team all the time; would be nice to know when to dodge them.

As Chem stated, the difference between good low and good high have a devastating effect on how well your players handle in-game. I can handle lower-tier teams just fine over 100 ping but it'd be suicide playing teams closer to my team's rank.

Europeans complaining about the Fins don't know the true pain of facing off against the Frenchies haha.

If we could set our own good, fair, bad connection colours from settings/options that'd be fantastic. I love 10-40 the most; anything above that and you start having issues. Not every game needs to be absolutely perfect, but it'd be nice to have that extra little bit of wiggle room