EA Forums - Banner

Horrible A.I: passing logic

bryta47
373 posts Member
edited April 2020
Wow! CPU 1on1 against the goalie! Will he deke? Shoot? It's so exciting!

0615mbf9xhck.jpg

Oh, no - he passed it? How embarrassing...

96f06hicwesi.jpg

How can the A.I be this badly programmed?

Post edited by bryta47 on

Replies

• bryta47
    373 posts Member
    Literally the next sequence in the same game:

f84g55gbqga4.jpg

og988b1bwifs.jpg

It's bad. It's really, really bad.
  • bryta47 wrote: »
    Wow! CPU 1on1 against the goalie! Will he deke? Shoot? It's so exciting!

0615mbf9xhck.jpg

Oh, no - he passed it? How embarrassing...

96f06hicwesi.jpg

How can the A.I be this badly programmed?

Since the latest patch, passing is terrible. Ill be at a slow glide with a fresh line out and go to pass...the arrow tells me which guy it wants to pass to so i pull the trigger only to have my defenseman in the off zone ...pass it alllll the way down ice to my goalie....and guess what? The goalies are so bad that it scored on me once. This is ea hockey take it or leave it i guess
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    [Removed - CM]

AI decision making has gotten so bad. They said they were going to make improvements this year but I didn't see it. From day 1, bad choices. But over time it definitely feels much worse. Whats worse is I'll be wide open repeatedly calling for the pass and they just ignore you.

I have a theory, the AI wants to pass most the time and they want to pass as soon as they get it. If everyone is covered its like they get confused and do wonky things. Whats crazy is how often I see an AI holding the puck in the ozone, no one pressuring him but you can tell he's frantically looking to pass but everyones covered. And then he just throws the puck right to the closest player from the other team.

Yet other times they could be at center ice, on a 2 on 1 (or even 2 on none). And its like they have made up their mind. They are going to skate it all the way in and until they just run into the goalie and give up the puck. No passing not even if you are spamming the call for pass button.

I have NOOOO issue saying that the AI was 100x smarter 5+ years ago.
    Post edited by EA_Blueberry on
  • Happens all the time to me. I've posted videos on this as well. Heck, even the shooting logic is horrible. McDavid had an open lane to the net on a breakaway...could have easily beaten the goalie...but what does he do? Passes it back.
  • Lol our ai has to bank pass everything. I've been directly infront of the Ai before on breakaway if he gives me a pass and he banks it off the boards instead
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Delete
    Post edited by bryta47 on
  • Lol our ai has to bank pass everything. I've been directly infront of the Ai before on breakaway if he gives me a pass and he banks it off the boards instead

Funny. I saw the same thing on day 1. Everything seems to be a bank pass. The AI this year took 5 steps backwards.
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    Lol our ai has to bank pass everything. I've been directly infront of the Ai before on breakaway if he gives me a pass and he banks it off the boards instead

Funny. I saw the same thing on day 1. Everything seems to be a bank pass. The AI this year took 5 steps backwards.

Any developer could comment on that? No? :)

Would be really interesting to hear how things like that happens, I mean going from "not so bad ai" (that time) in NHL 13, to something like this.

I always thought things might go forward and improve during the additional development... generally speaking, of course :)

Hopefully this little question was polite enough and nobody get offended this time.

• bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    I follow you on youtube @djneohockey - please port your game to console when you're done. I'll buy it.
  • bryta47 wrote: »
    I follow you on youtube @djneohockey - please port your game to console when you're done. I'll buy it.

:)
    Wish I have that power, but you never know.
  • d3v1t0
    73 posts Member
    AI passing is a huge the reason I can't play BAP anymore. They're constantly forcing the puck into traffic or making a blatant turnover. As a forward, it's incredibly frustrating getting to open areas and the AI pretending you don't exist. And it's not even worth calling for the pass because there's often no time to. And when you do call for it, the pass comes too late. And when you wind your stick up for the one-timer, it's difficult to time the shot, if the pass ever gets there at all (looking at you, overpowered puck interceptions).

Even more frustrating that the AI can't hold on the puck and skate with it. Like what @jmwalsh8888 said, if an AI player has the puck and there's no options, they just freak out and malfunction. Would be nice if they can move around a little and wait for a suitable option.

Seems like everytime the AI does make a good pass (that doesn't involve me) it leads to a cross-crease goal.

I WISH, they'd add the ability to drive the net with your stick down to signal a pass-to-redirect goal where you'd have to correctly time putting your stick down before a d-man can pick up on it and cover you. It works much better than calling for a pass and trying to push up to shoot as the pass comes, because that usually results in your player moving off your intended path and in the direction of where you're trying to aim the shot. I think it can be something as simple as holding L2 and holding the right stick either up or down.

On the flip side, if your AI teammates did this too, it would help with timing your passes better and make better use of the slap pass.

It's extremely disappointing this is what it's come to. At least in NHL 16 and 17, I can play full careers in BAP. Now, I find myself playing MLB The Show more than NHL. And I don't even like baseball!
  • Mc41DMB
    83 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    My absolute favorite thing about the logically idiotic AI has to be when he looks off both open teammates then throws it to the opponent in our own zone.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • My favorite AI move is when moving out of the defensive zone when they clear the puck but then for some reason think its a good idea to backpass into their own zone.

I also love in be a pro when you get "bad line defense" after you win a faceoff and your defenceman instantly passes it up and it gets intercepted and they score. Or when you get blamed for being "knocked down" when your teammate gives you a suicide pass. Or when you are forechecking and you grab the puck for just a split second, then lose it and get "offensive zone turnover".

Or your goalie passing the puck when there are 3 opposing players around the net. Or how your AI has no idea how to forecheck but they decide to dump it in when you're down by 1 with 10 seconds left. Or how your AI loses the puck in the net for the 100th time because they cant program "skate around the net, not into it" oh wait... they can program but only for 1 side, because i've never seen the AI lose the puck in the net for the north team.

But guys give them a break they have only been making the same game for 10 years, can you really expect them to improve it?