EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Disappointed a bit with NHL 20

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
610 posts Member
edited April 12
Penalty shots

Penalty shots again ruin 3s as they are guaranteed goals. I know. “Don’t take any penalties then”. But it’s hard when you might go down a goal and you play a team that only wants to score and win via penalty shots as I have played countless teams the last two years the only bait for trips and score just ok penalty shots. Ed Pauli you this year since I’ve seen players smash into the boards and go opposite side with the puck curled behind there back and score an empty net because the goal comes too far out. Why can’t we take liberties and do a 3v2, 3v1 then a penalty shot if that occurs because I’m tired of playing teams just figure skate there way to penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Hitting is a valuable tool for defense and it has been nerfed compared to last year. Many times I have a guy line up only to maybe at time him just get nudged or just fall to his knees. There’s no point in hitting along the wall. They either completely eat your hit and shoot off the wall, get destroyed and get the puck back, or you get a questionable boarding call. You know what’s better than placing a well timed hit? A two hand shove from an out of position defensemen that will make the puck stop dead in its tracks.

Also what is with the hitting assist? Players can lock onto you like a heat seeking missile and the game will guide you into the hit it’s ridiculous. I know how to do it but wow it’s annoying.

I’m curious though as to why hitting after the whistle was removed. It was a fun thing to do with the boys and get a few laughs in. We miss that kind of goonery

Priorities/resource use

What’s the priorities of the franchise? A considerable amount of time was spent on making dances for something that is only pre game use instead of using that time and those resources on what players have been asking for such as new and better shot block animations and more/better stick lift animations for different situations. Something that has no effect on gameplay gets prioritized over something players have been asking for years that has an affect on gameplay. How many hours and resources spent on clothing that could have been used for let’s say more EASHL customization, NHL team anniversary patches (2K does) and fix the uniform inaccuracies and add new goalie masks or add custom goalie mask creator. These would be more popular among players I think instead of a seeing someone that’s dressed like a construction worker out on the ice.

Gameplay balance

No doubt offense has the favorite again. Offense can make terrible plays and always get reward for them which seems to be a staple in the series of late. Goalies haven’t improved in my opinion. But only does offense get rewarded for bad plays this defense can full intercept the puck without even facing the play or puck. This encourages more ragging because what’s the point of passing to an open teammate just to get the pass picked off from a defenseman that’s not even looking?

Replies

• "No doubt offense has the favorite again. Offense can make terrible plays and always get reward for them which seems to be a staple in the series of late."

I have hit this concept from every angle about 25 times in this forum the past few months. Good luck getting anyone at EA to dignify this REALITY.

We can't upset the roller hockey players. Gotta make sure 11 year old kids can exploit the game deficiencies.

In my opinion, the fact that a person like me, an actual hockey player, is not catered to in favor of little kids and loser streamers is a travesty.

@djneohockey PM me, I want to give your game a go. Please give me a reason to abandon EA.
  • "No doubt offense has the favorite again. Offense can make terrible plays and always get reward for them which seems to be a staple in the series of late."

I have hit this concept from every angle about 25 times in this forum the past few months. Good luck getting anyone at EA to dignify this REALITY.

We can't upset the roller hockey players. Gotta make sure 11 year old kids can exploit the game deficiencies.

In my opinion, the fact that a person like me, an actual hockey player, is not catered to in favor of little kids and loser streamers is a travesty.

@djneohockey PM me, I want to give your game a go. Please give me a reason to abandon EA.

This is another reason I stopped playing this game.. because your right all the little Mary's and Nancy's have to able to score and us those stupid celebrations ... What really gets me is to them there's nothing wrong with this game it's always the players fault
  • GramerProfesur
    508 posts Member
    edited April 13
    Problem with 3v3 EASHL is that goalies are absolutely horrible with one on ones.. so you just have people baiting the entire game for easy penalties and goals. Not to mention one handed tuck still works every time. Human goalie mechanics are broken so can’t choose that option.. ask anyone who plays goalie exclusively.

Problem with 6v6 EASHL is the servers are straight trash so if you try and play no AI everyone lags or lags out. If you play with AI.. well, the more AI the more mistakes they make. It’s game breaking how bad they are. For 6v6 EASHL Drop-In, since there is no kick option, you’re bound to find at least 1-2 idiots a game that ruin it for everyone

The game online is broken and the community is toxic. Offline is OK with sliders and custom rosters. We need roster and slider sharing badly as well as depth in offline modes and customization to save this franchise. Otherwise EA NHL is going to continue to lose sales
  • EA_Blueberry
    2317 posts EA Community Manager
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Penalty shots

Penalty shots again ruin 3s as they are guaranteed goals. I know. “Don’t take any penalties then”. But it’s hard when you might go down a goal and you play a team that only wants to score and win via penalty shots as I have played countless teams the last two years the only bait for trips and score just ok penalty shots. Ed Pauli you this year since I’ve seen players smash into the boards and go opposite side with the puck curled behind there back and score an empty net because the goal comes too far out. Why can’t we take liberties and do a 3v2, 3v1 then a penalty shot if that occurs because I’m tired of playing teams just figure skate there way to penalty shots

They can't figure skate their way to penalty shots when poke check isn't being used when it shouldn't be. I can see how that's annoying though, as I've had players pull a spin move just at the right time to bait me into a trip penalty.
    Penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Hitting is a valuable tool for defense and it has been nerfed compared to last year. Many times I have a guy line up only to maybe at time him just get nudged or just fall to his knees. There’s no point in hitting along the wall. They either completely eat your hit and shoot off the wall, get destroyed and get the puck back, or you get a questionable boarding call. You know what’s better than placing a well timed hit? A two hand shove from an out of position defensemen that will make the puck stop dead in its tracks.

Also what is with the hitting assist? Players can lock onto you like a heat seeking missile and the game will guide you into the hit it’s ridiculous. I know how to do it but wow it’s annoying.

I’m curious though as to why hitting after the whistle was removed. It was a fun thing to do with the boys and get a few laughs in. We miss that kind of goonery

Stamina from the player getting hit and the speed/angle of the hit plays a part on how effective it will be. If there's a specific type of hit where you felt they should have been laid out instead of going to their knees please share the clip with us so we can check it out. More times than not, the hitting player didn't have enough speed and/or was skating at them from behind.

Hitting after the whistle was removed due to community feedback AFAIK. There were defnitely times I had a good laugh doing it but do remember other times it got under my skin. You're technically not able to hit after the whistle like that in the NHL either...

Priorities/resource use

What’s the priorities of the franchise? A considerable amount of time was spent on making dances for something that is only pre game use instead of using that time and those resources on what players have been asking for such as new and better shot block animations and more/better stick lift animations for different situations. Something that has no effect on gameplay gets prioritized over something players have been asking for years that has an affect on gameplay. How many hours and resources spent on clothing that could have been used for let’s say more EASHL customization, NHL team anniversary patches (2K does) and fix the uniform inaccuracies and add new goalie masks or add custom goalie mask creator. These would be more popular among players I think instead of a seeing someone that’s dressed like a construction worker out on the ice.

Will share that feedback with @NHLDev

Gameplay balance

No doubt offense has the favorite again. Offense can make terrible plays and always get reward for them which seems to be a staple in the series of late. Goalies haven’t improved in my opinion. But only does offense get rewarded for bad plays this defense can full intercept the puck without even facing the play or puck. This encourages more ragging because what’s the point of passing to an open teammate just to get the pass picked off from a defenseman that’s not even looking?

Can you elaborate more on this by giving us examples of this (video footage is always a bonus)? Are you talking about passes from the goalies after they gain control of the puck or in general? There are times when I try to pass the puck to a skater from the goalie only to see it intercepted leading to a score. I can't help but to blame myself for not going to a face off instead but there are times when I wish the goalie got rid of the puck faster on it's own to an offensive skater without my control so the game speed feels more fluid.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Penalty shots

They can't figure skate their way to penalty shots when poke check isn't being used when it shouldn't be. I can see how that's annoying though, as I've had players pull a spin move just at the right time to bait me into a trip penalty.
    Penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Stamina from the player getting hit and the speed/angle of the hit plays a part on how effective it will be. If there's a specific type of hit where you felt they should have been laid out instead of going to their knees please share the clip with us so we can check it out. More times than not, the hitting player didn't have enough speed and/or was skating at them from behind.

Hitting after the whistle was removed due to community feedback AFAIK. There were defnitely times I had a good laugh doing it but do remember other times it got under my skin. You're technically not able to hit after the whistle like that in the NHL either...

Priorities/resource use

Gameplay balance

Can you elaborate more on this by giving us examples of this (video footage is always a bonus)? Are you talking about passes from the goalies after they gain control of the puck or in general? There are times when I try to pass the puck to a skater from the goalie only to see it intercepted leading to a score. I can't help but to blame myself for not going to a face off instead but there are times when I wish the goalie got rid of the puck faster on it's own to an offensive skater without my control so the game speed feels more fluid.

there's a super easy solution to this problem. Stop giving penalty shots for every penalty. One of the worst ideas ever and yet its still here.
  • EA_Blueberry

there's a super easy solution to this problem. Stop giving penalty shots for every penalty. One of the worst ideas ever and yet its still here.

What's your thought process on why they implemented that in the first place?
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    610 posts Member
    edited April 13
    Penalty shots

Penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Priorities/resource use

Gameplay balance

There are plenty of times I poke at good time only for them to turn at the same time. Penalty shots shouldn’t be a thing in 3s. It ruins the mode.

That’s true with hitting after the whistle but it’s no harm no foul as you couldn’t get hurt and didn’t lose stamina. If where going with “you can’t do that in the NHL” neither can defensemen go towards the hash marks are a goalie saves the puck because it will bring the face off outside the zone.

I feel as last year I posted many many clips of issues and still felt like nothing was done address the them. Maybe I’ll post some and capture some new ones to show what I mean.

For the defensive interceptions it’s a hugely talked about issue. Goalies still can’t stop the one hand tuck and offense seems to react to looser puck quicker

• there's a super easy solution to this problem. Stop giving penalty shots for every penalty. One of the worst ideas ever and yet its still here.

Because players complained about the Ai when 3s is about minimizing Ai. But to replace an Ai with automatic goal is crazy. If there goal is remove any Ai, then why not do 3v2, 3v1 power plays then a penalty shot if a penalty is taken by short handed team on a 3v1?

Because players complained about the Ai when 3s is about minimizing Ai. But to replace an Ai with automatic goal is crazy. If there goal is remove any Ai, then why not do 3v2, 3v1 power plays then a penalty shot if a penalty is taken by short handed team on a 3v1?

I don't believe that was the reason. The point of 3v3 mode is to have an arcady wide open style of hockey. When there's a penalty an extra AI should come on the ice 4v3. But again this is basically a high scoring arcade mode so penalty shots is what they went with
  • EA_Blueberry

I don't believe that was the reason. The point of 3v3 mode is to have an arcady wide open style of hockey. When there's a penalty an extra AI should come on the ice 4v3. But again this is basically a high scoring arcade mode so penalty shots is what they went with

Having an extra skater come in would be an interesting approach. Would anyone else prefer that?

If a player went to the penalty box to make it a 2v3, you can argue that it should be a guaranteed goal for the team with the advantage. Unless you feel the time in the penalty box should be drastically reduced and then the advantage team gets to start off with the puck so they have at least one great scoring chance.

• I don't believe that was the reason. The point of 3v3 mode is to have an arcady wide open style of hockey. When there's a penalty an extra AI should come on the ice 4v3. But again this is basically a high scoring arcade mode so penalty shots is what they went with

Having an extra skater come in would be an interesting approach. Would anyone else prefer that?

If a player went to the penalty box to make it a 2v3, you can argue that it should be a guaranteed goal for the team with the advantage. Unless you feel the time in the penalty box should be drastically reduced and then the advantage team gets to start off with the puck so they have at least one great scoring chance.

That's how they do it in the NHL. Add one player if you get two penalties add two players. Anymore penalties you get longer five on three.

• Yeah the penalty shot thing was always a stupid idea. Combine that with goals being automatic on 90% of really easy dekes to pull off this year (I could teach an 8 year old kid, or even my wife) to score 100% of the time on a goalie. There's a move I do that is a goal 100% of the time, there's like a 1 full second window of grace room to shoot it and all it takes is going on your forehand to pull off. It's stupid easy.

No, that was actually the exact reason penalty shots were introduced for all penalties in EASHL 3s. When the mode was first introduced a penalty resulted in a 4v3 PP. And people complained because it introduced two additional AIs on the ice in a mode most people were playing to get away from the AI.

Most people here wanted a penalty to result in 3v2 and then 3v1 scenarios if necessary but the development team went with penalty shots.

If I had to guess it was probably because it was the easier thing to do. And I don't believe that's due to laziness or anything like that. The game probably just wasn't designed to handle those scenarios because they were never considered and introducing them would have been more work and introduce more risk then was warranted at the time. Once it was in place there was no real push to change it either and here we are.

• EA_Blueberry

No, that was actually the exact reason penalty shots were introduced for all penalties in EASHL 3s. When the mode was first introduced a penalty resulted in a 4v3 PP. And people complained because it introduced two additional AIs on the ice in a mode most people were playing to get away from the AI.

This is feedback we received that played a part in the decision.

Most people here wanted a penalty to result in 3v2 and then 3v1 scenarios if necessary but the development team went with penalty shots.

If I had to guess it was probably because it was the easier thing to do. And I don't believe that's due to laziness or anything like that. The game probably just wasn't designed to handle those scenarios because they were never considered and introducing them would have been more work and introduce more risk then was warranted at the time. Once it was in place there was no real push to change it either and here we are.

3v2 ? 3v1 ???

Who would EVER want that? This is why I can't take the 3v3 crowd serious. Its not hockey. Anyone that would consider playing a game 3v1 on full ice there is nothing you can say anything to. If I had the choice I would just say forget the power play or penalty shot just give them the goal. If you can't score 100% of the time on a 3v2 power play you need to find another game.
  • untouchable_BF1
    617 posts Member
    edited April 17
    Penalty shots

They can't figure skate their way to penalty shots when poke check isn't being used when it shouldn't be.I can see how that's annoying though, as I've had players pull a spin move just at the right time to bait me into a trip penalty.
    Penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Priorities/resource use

Gameplay balance

Bolded part:

Yeah it is really annoying that stick play is discouraged in a game that’s supposed to resemble NHL hockey. It is way too unforgiving of a mechanic and way too easy to draw penalties with, even for the least of talented forwards.

IRL, if you purposely skated right at a defender only to do a spin into the defender’s outstretched stick, you would 100% never get a penalty. Tripping penalties are subjective in real life, and most of the time a scoring chance has to be taken away, or complete puck possession lost after a long possession in-order for it to be called. Small little stumble on a 50/50 puck would never be called. Tripping due to you trying a ridiculous spin move on a defender holding their ground, never would be called. Getting a shot off then being taken out by someone trying to block the shot? Never would be called.

Not to mention how easily one can retain possession after a small disruption due to a poke in this game, and you’re left with a meta that discourages pokes, encourages puck hogging, and is severely unbalanced from a game balance perspective.
  • Ha, I'm no longer surprised at what error I'm going to receive prior to an EASHL 6vs6 game starting or not, and most recently quoted:

REMOVED FROM THE GAME

You have been removed from the dressing room.

That's not a word for lie. Last year, in NHL '19, it was "DRESSING ROOM ERROR". In NHL '20, it was changed to "USER CUSTOMIZATION ERROR". And now this? Put some thought into this, and think about what's actually happening here. This recent scenario is broken down like this: there were 5 of us, in the lobby, 2 on one team and 3 on the other team and just waiting for players to join while the countdown timer did its job. Once that timer went to zero (not the letter O), that was the error that I received on the middle part of my screen.

Now, as I've had this game since the launch, and I've come across many inconsistencies from a developer (not lazily abbreviated as "dev") team and company that has been releasing this game/series for a long time. And that's especially true, over the last several iterations of this series. But this one, especially, does not come off as any sort of surprise. In fact, it's what I expect from a group of people that don't actually give a blue hell about a once great series.

Followers, well, follow and easily give way to trends, what's popular, very little thought process and do very little to stand out or "buck the system". Plain and simply put, the current EA Sports hockey series follows. Aside from being the only hockey video game series still on the market, it's the worst version of what hockey is actually supposed to be: hockey.

You know, it took this developer team over a month to fix the spring off of the right post, while having the pad, blocker and stick down on the ice, just to reset and find yourself in the slot near the hash marks. For those of us the play that actually the position, not stand there and rely on auto-save, this was absolutely freaking ridiculous. Despite the fact that it was eventually "fixed", as there's still a noticeable spring, the complaints were practically ignored. Why? Because the goal scorers and poser goalies weren't complaining about it. But hey, as long on the hockey bags keep being filled and dispersed with non-hockey related gear designs, clothing, emotes and pre-game dance-offs, hockey is second....

3v2 ? 3v1 ???

Who would EVER want that? This is why I can't take the 3v3 crowd serious. Its not hockey. Anyone that would consider playing a game 3v1 on full ice there is nothing you can say anything to. If I had the choice I would just say forget the power play or penalty shot just give them the goal. If you can't score 100% of the time on a 3v2 power play you need to find another game.

So you propose the removal of the penalty shot which is just about an automatic goal with a suggestion to give an automatic goal just for taking a penalty?

Anyone who is sick and tired of the one hand tuck wants power plays in threes even if it means taking liberties. The one penalty shot move where you can smash into the boards, skate across the crease to you forehand for an empty net the most ridiculous cheese goal I’ve ever seen.
  • EA_Aljo
    1331 posts EA Community Manager
    Penalty shots

They can't figure skate their way to penalty shots when poke check isn't being used when it shouldn't be.I can see how that's annoying though, as I've had players pull a spin move just at the right time to bait me into a trip penalty.
    Penalty shots

Hitting/bubble

Priorities/resource use

Gameplay balance

Bolded part:

Yeah it is really annoying that stick play is discouraged in a game that’s supposed to resemble NHL hockey. It is way too unforgiving of a mechanic and way too easy to draw penalties with, even for the least of talented forwards.

IRL, if you purposely skated right at a defender only to do a spin into the defender’s outstretched stick, you would 100% never get a penalty. Tripping penalties are subjective in real life, and most of the time a scoring chance has to be taken away, or complete puck possession lost after a long possession in-order for it to be called. Small little stumble on a 50/50 puck would never be called. Tripping due to you trying a ridiculous spin move on a defender holding their ground, never would be called. Getting a shot off then being taken out by someone trying to block the shot? Never would be called.

Not to mention how easily one can retain possession after a small disruption due to a poke in this game, and you’re left with a meta that discourages pokes, encourages puck hogging, and is severely unbalanced from a game balance perspective.

We can't really have AI refs be subjective when it comes to tripping penalties. I definitely understand it's easy to take them, but a good defender that knows how to poke without taking penalties is a pretty big threat. Using DSS is more forgiving as you have to sweep from inside their legs to the outside to cause a trip. If you're getting a lot of tripping calls, try using this instead.

The poke mechanic isn't trying to discourage using it. We had a very high amount of complaints about poke spam before NHL 19. It really needed to change. Poke checking takes a lot more skill now, which is something the community wanted. There are many guys out there that have mastered this and are not taking many penalties.
  • Davanial
    167 posts Member
    edited April 20
    "The poke mechanic isn't trying to discourage using it. We had a very high amount of complaints about poke spam before NHL 19. It really needed to change. Poke checking takes a lot more skill now, which is something the community wanted. There are many guys out there that have mastered this and are not taking many penalties."

By "many guys out there that have mastered this" would you be referring to the top level player base? What percentage of the total player base do you think the top level represents, approximately? What do you suggest the remaining (and clearly much larger) percentage of the player base ought do to improve their gaming experience in these circumstances?

The poke check mechanic in this game is simply unrealistic. If you wanted to reduce 'spam' then apply an appropriately timed animation, which the user may cancel with a second button press during said animation, rather than add these ridiculous tripping penalties.

I've played hockey for 40 years and I have never tripped someone who I didn't intend to trip. It's actually not that easy to trip a player with a better than public skating level of skill eh.