EA Forums - Banner

Be a gm (player progression questions)

Is there an age where the potential of the players stop ...i thought it was 26 ...
ex:i had james reimer at 80 ovr ....the years after he was 88...james freakin reimer LOL
the guys is 32 i had im as a starter with med...he grew by 8 ???
is it possible the players pontential continue over the players career...
if so,
i guess i ll have to change potential for a bunch of older guys (ex phil kessel who is by default is elite in the game but at best now he is a top 9 player or getzlaf, toews ,seabrook,lucic,b.ryan etc )

i just found that after one season all the nhl team are full of 82 to 90 ovr players and it s messing with the dynamic in franchise mode (especially during the free agent period ,some team stop hading player at 37,38,39 out of 50 cause they don t have the cap space ...

my other question is for EA
is there a chart for potential

like elite is topping at ??? ovr
top6 at???
fringe starter...and so on ...

you know what i mean cause right now i have no clue !
and i want a roster that still make sense after one season ..

thanx
MRSENATEURS

Replies

• Players achieve their potential at 26 but their overall can still fluctuate based on other factors such as performance, morale, team role, etc. I don't know if EA has specific terms for any of it.
  • Oops hit post too quickly

Potential can also change during development, and eventually will begin to lower as a player ages. The higher the potential the longer they will maintain it before regressing, generally. For example, the game should have Phil Kessel begin to 'drop off' within a few seasons.

I also found this versions franchise mode a bit frustrating after a season or two, particularly after editing virtually every player to be a bit less... fantastic. I did find that if I changed the scoring to low it helped reduce player growth across the board, somewhat. Might help you there.
  • thanx,That s what i ll do ,
    i ll redo my chart for potential
    like the only franchise player will be mcdavid
    and elite should be pretty rare (mckinnon ,eichel etc...)...and i ll put all players over 28 at low ..
    MRSENATEURS
  • Peaceh
    58 posts Member
    Imo it is one area ea has done well. Any player at any age can have good positive growth. An area ea sucks at is how ai manage their cap. Kessel is an interesting debate, he was a point per game player last season which is all star level points. Then goes to a new team that lacks talent up front and has his worse season. Is he as you say no longer a top player or he had a one off on a new team, new system and not the right talent for him to produce. So I can see phil getting his overall lowered from this last season but I would say it would be fair for him to bounce back to 85-88 under the right circumstances
  • fanofnothing86
    36 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    I agree that this is one area that EA has done a decent job. The coaching preference definitely needs some fine tuning. Pretty much anytime i get a top pick for a elite young player, they dont fit anywhere into the line scheme. That's fine, but if you put the effort into a young player and they are an elite scorer, they should at the very least fit into the first line. Nothing worse than a 90 overall that brings down the chemistry of all of his linemates.. The chemistry should be fluid, maybe they dont fit on a line to begin with, but far to often(unless you're willing to change your coach for 1 player) that elite prospect becomes nothing but a trade asset.

Players that dont fit on a line, will never fit on that line. No coach ever would say "oh crosby he doesn't fit into any of our lines... because he dumps the puck too much" Also there is no way to get a +5 chemistry boost unless you have a playmaker sniper powerforward OR 3 grinders(or 2 grinders and an enforcer) It means that no two way forward can be on a perfect chemistry line.

Chemistry should grow as they play on that line, coaches are able to teach their system to players... so its a little dumb to think their fit on a team will never change.
  • Hahaha phil kessel ...was playing with malkin and crosby ...and the guy was good ...i think this years you see the real deal ...he is a 83 to 85 at best...the guys is just not in shape ...

To follow up on my original post ..i redid all the potential (it took a couple of hours ,but we have time to waste right now) leaving only two franchise players mcdavid and crosby ..and then i went down from there with a chart ...and all players over 26 ,..i put them on low ..

After simulating a couple of season the game react really well ...no more james reimer going 88 in the second season..LOL
    You still see tampa having problem signing cirelli and filling their roster ..but the rest of the free agent process look really good ...

Like i said numerous time with a good sliders setting and roster update ,be a gm is really cool
    So c mon Ea next years roster sharing ..please...

Cheers and be safe
    MRSENATEURS
  • Cool beans. One thing I also noted, and failed to mention, is that all of the upcoming draftable players will still progress along the original lines. It will take several seasons, but you'll likely end up in the same place eventually (franchise players, loads of elites, ridiculous salaries etc)
  • I agree that this is one area that EA has done a decent job. The coaching preference definitely needs some fine tuning. Pretty much anytime i get a top pick for a elite young player, they dont fit anywhere into the line scheme. That's fine, but if you put the effort into a young player and they are an elite scorer, they should at the very least fit into the first line. Nothing worse than a 90 overall that brings down the chemistry of all of his linemates.. The chemistry should be fluid, maybe they dont fit on a line to begin with, but far to often(unless you're willing to change your coach for 1 player) that elite prospect becomes nothing but a trade asset.

Players that dont fit on a line, will never fit on that line. No coach ever would say "oh crosby he doesn't fit into any of our lines... because he dumps the puck too much" Also there is no way to get a +5 chemistry boost unless you have a playmaker sniper powerforward OR 3 grinders(or 2 grinders and an enforcer) It means that no two way forward can be on a perfect chemistry line.

Chemistry should grow as they play on that line, coaches are able to teach their system to players... so its a little dumb to think their fit on a team will never change.

They should also have the option that some players are like sponges, while other players are incredibly talented but super stubborn and only play the way they like to (which hurts line/team chemistry).