EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

If you developers in EA happen to be thinking about making another patch, this needs to be patched.

Second goalie complaint post in a row? About rebounds? Can't be me.

OH WAIT! IT IS! I'm here trying to run simulation hockey and I can't get my FACEOFF TOTALs or SHOT TOTALS accurate under FIFTEEN MINUTE SLIDERS because your GOALIES, which were ADVERTISED TO BE MUCH SMARTER THIS YEAR, allow A TON of SOFT rebounds. By soft, it can either be a weak shot to a large rebound or a weak shot that DROPS INFRONT OF THE GOALIE AND HE REFUSES TO COVER IT.

ALSO, please, the defensive AI! I'll start posting videos of my commentary on the forms here, but I see an own goal by a defenseman at least once every other game.

Your goalies react as fast as they do IRL. The problem is, your game is SO MUCH FASTER than real life, that your goalies' reaction speed is that of a SLUG'S MOVEMENT.

Among your priorities for your next patch should be goalies. I know the game is coming to the end of its life, with just over 4 months until NHL 21 is to drop (coronavirus is probably going to delay that), but the least you could do is fix these padded men in the crease up. You know all those tools that were added to the goalie's arsenal this year, such as smarter save animations to PURPOSEFULLY REDIRECT PUCKS AWAY FROM THE SLOT? Why are the goalies NOT utilizing these new tools?

Am I being too nitpicky? Is anyone else noticing this? Feedback would be appreciated because these are my experiences in 100% truth.

(FOR REFERENCE, if you don't know me here, I am strictly an offline player, mostly in play now due to a miniature league that I run involving 16 teams, meaning I must use play now. Not the best results, but it's a result. Your experiences may not be similar to mine if you're an online player. I frequently do simulation hockey AI vs AI, but I also play the game in the aforementioned mini league, as I control one of the sixteen teams.)

Replies

• Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited April 27
    No it's not just you all year I've been saying why aren't the goalies covering the puck , again there is no bigger threat that the Puck sitting right in front of the goalie and he doesn't cover the puck ,and as for rebound control there is none ,you can put a muffin on net and he'll kick the rebound right into the slot ...this is for online
  • I actually have been noticing some great goaltending with my sliders. Biggest difference between my gameplay and others is that my goalies are all 6’4” and 88 overall across the board. Cheese-looking top-shelf snipes haven’t been an issue, I’ve been getting robbed on usual “money” backdoor pass plays, and the goalies have been incredible when it comes to directing low shots to the corners.

Due to me rocking 100 screen effect and 70 screen persistence, I see some more scrambles in-front and chest/gloves saves not getting eaten cleanly, but eventually covered, but overall I’ve tuned my set to have some very good goaltending.

Watching NHL playoff highlights from last year, I really think I’ve nailed how good these NHL goalies are with what I’ve done. It’s very hard to score with the amount of pressure I have the AI team put on me, using fully unassisted passing, having puck reception at 3/100, and attribute effects at 10/10. Obviously I have a ton of other slider adjustments, but I’ve never been happier with an offline NHL game before. Seeing a lot of goals where the goalie wasn’t completely screened, but you can tell that the screen affected his ability to react right away or see the receiving end of a one-timer right away. Also, been shooting for a lot of tips has been fun in-order to create some chaos.

I should probably post my full setup here so people can give them a go, I just haven’t taken the time to write all of the sliders and strategy adjustments down.
  • Love the idea, but I like my variation in my goalies.

• They already gave us our yearly patch so you're SOL bud; lol I wouldn't hold your breath for next year either - I've brought this up in AHQ multiple times and was told I must be doing something wrong because "the goalie never does this, it's never once happened to me"
  • Have you adjusted your sliders
  • I look into it more...and I realized that it could be my sliders.

TTZ, do you use custom sliders?
  • I have 45 goalie reaction time and 55 cross-crease for my league. I also run with 54 max pass slider with a 24 minimum. Shot power at 47 with game speed at 3. I also use 100 goalie screen effect and 70 goalie screen persistence. I get very good results with these, but I also run strategy adjustments on the other team that makes them a lot more aggressive on the puck carrier, and I also use complete unassisted passing so I’m forced into making quick decisions that have to be executed well be me in-order to setup a play.

I haven’t seen better goalie play in an EA game than in 20 so far! Been loving it!
  • I have 45 goalie reaction time and 55 cross-crease for my league. I also run with 54 max pass slider with a 24 minimum. Shot power at 47 with game speed at 3. I also use 100 goalie screen effect and 70 goalie screen persistence. I get very good results with these, but I also run strategy adjustments on the other team that makes them a lot more aggressive on the puck carrier, and I also use complete unassisted passing so I’m forced into making quick decisions that have to be executed well be me in-order to setup a play.

I haven’t seen better goalie play in an EA game than in 20 so far! Been loving it!

This AI vs AI or HUM vs AI?
  • nyi95
    101 posts Member
    Hey Untouchable, any chance of sharing your slider set? Would be mucho appreciado. If you have the time obviously. Thx in advance if you do.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Hey Untouchable, any chance of sharing your slider set? Would be mucho appreciado. If you have the time obviously. Thx in advance if you do.

Yes, my goal is to hop on NHL tonight and share the whole set + strategy adjustments + goalie attributes + line and defense strategy settings.
    I have 45 goalie reaction time and 55 cross-crease for my league. I also run with 54 max pass slider with a 24 minimum. Shot power at 47 with game speed at 3. I also use 100 goalie screen effect and 70 goalie screen persistence. I get very good results with these, but I also run strategy adjustments on the other team that makes them a lot more aggressive on the puck carrier, and I also use complete unassisted passing so I’m forced into making quick decisions that have to be executed well be me in-order to setup a play.

This AI vs AI or HUM vs AI?

This is HUM vs AI. The rebound I have produced are either via screens or quick shots from in close where real NHL goalies wouldn’t have time to make a stick save either. I feel like my rebounds have felt rewarded, but I gotta admit that I don’t usually shoot for them much, as every previous NHL taught me to not shoot them because it felt too easy. It was my own house rule lol.