EA Forums - Banner

Let's talk Be A Pro

EA_Aljo
2122 posts EA Community Manager
edited April 2020
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the discussion over the last week regarding the breakdown that Ben did of a top player's gameplay. There was some great back and forth with Ben getting involved further and responding to @HoodHoppers, @smyth9779 and @untouchable_BF1. It was great to get some more feedback from you all. If you missed that discussion, you can find it here.

We were thinking of getting a discussion started on what you guys would like to see happen with Be A Pro and then @aj198200 happened to make a perfect post for dropping the puck on this discussion. We thought this would be a good place to start.

Let's talk about your thoughts on how you would like to improve Be A Pro.
Post edited by EA_Aljo on

Replies

  • I heard Be A Pro might get an overhaul in the next couple of years. I actually think the mode is pretty fun as is. I'm focusing on what I think might be easy to include tweaks that would add a lot of value to the playing experience.

    1) Free Agency Offers - Allow more than two offers to come to the player. This seems easy, we get tons of offers as a GM in Franchise mode. If you're a high overall rating, and/or high potential, you should get a ton of offers.

    2) View Team Rosters During Free Agency - Let the player look at the team rosters during free agency so they can see what team they might be joining. Again this seem easy, I don't know why we can't open the rosters during free agency currently. The value here is controlling your destination, so you can choose whether to be part of a rebuild project or join a contender.

    3) Trade Requests - If the player has a certain overall and experience, let them to select teams to be traded to, a list of 3 or so. Again, I think this is easy to do because we already can request trades.

    4) Player History - Record the awards a player has received over his career in the player info card.

    5) All Time Leaders - Have a screen where you can see all time leaders. Seems easy to have a screen that is just a data dump of the top 10 or 20 in each category, just some simple lists. Seeing how your career stacks up against the all time greats would be fun, right now we're in a vacuum using our imagination. I scored 900 goals in my career, how does the stack up with where Ovechkin ended up when he hung'em up.

    Main point is that if there is an overhaul then great, but if that can't happen, just some minor updates would make a big difference.
  • I would like a more realistic path available for a regular to fringe NHL prospect. I don't want every player I make to be a potential superstar. Things like being sent back to junior, one to three years development in the AHL, in and out of the line up, etc. I'm sure this could be fandangled with slider manipulation (or outright tanking) but I'd prefer that it be a built in development option. I really don't need to play first or second line NHL minutes with a 69 rated two way forward eh.

    I'd also like to be able to play a European prospect, develop through the SHL or Liiga etc.

    I'm not opposed to some of the frills and gimmicks of previous editions, although the canned media interviews became repetitive and boring quickly.

    More naming options, more (not idiotic) gear options, the usual immersion crap would all be nice.

    Puck bunnies. Definitely puck bunnies. GET ON IT!!
  • The issue I have with Be A Pro is the lack of immersion. It feels just like every other game mode you play but instead you are position locked. The mode should be following your player at all times, on and off the ice. Make it feel like you are an actual NHL player.

    For example, no tv broadcast nonsense. Follow your player out of the locker room, through the tunnel, and onto the ice. Stand at the blue line or on the bench for the anthem. During the game there should be no commentary. On ice sounds should be enhanced. No TV graphics or anything that you wouldn’t see if you were actually playing in an NHL game. Just a small score bug so you know what’s going on.

    Off ice options to add immersion. Practices, training sessions, teammate interactions, conversations with coaches or the GM, maybe even talk to your agent, skate in warmups, flip some pucks over the glass to kids watching, post game interviews. All of these things can be implemented to have an impact on your skill development and how your team, fans, coaches view you as a player and person. NHL 14 Live the Life seemed like a good starting block for stuff like this. Then it vanished.

    There are other some tweaks that need to be made within the game as well. For example, line changes, getting thrown out on the ice right as the other team scores and constantly taking a minus. For me, nothing seems to happen during the sim. If I don’t score or get any assists then my team gets shut out that game. These issue are kind of annoying but the lack of immersion is the reason this game mode has become so stale for me.
  • > @Davanial said:
    > I would like a more realistic path available for a regular to fringe NHL prospect. I don't want every player I make to be a potential superstar. Things like being sent back to junior, one to three years development in the AHL, in and out of the line up, etc. I'm sure this could be fandangled with slider manipulation (or outright tanking) but I'd prefer that it be a built in development option. I really don't need to play first or second line NHL minutes with a 69 rated two way forward eh.

    I think that's an interesting concept. If you could select your potential at the beginning, same way as if you edit a player potential in the rosters (have the option to choose Franchise, Elite, Top 6F, Top 4D, etc for the potential). Seems to fit into the "easy to do" column. Most people probably choose to be the Franchise potential, but I can see the value of choosing the harder path, maybe a low potential grinder type. Would be rewarding to have to work at it to stick in the NHL, really fight your way through the minors. Perhaps it succeeding to make the NHL for some number of seasons as a low potential player could give an achievement, which if you complete, it gives you a booster pack of some sort for your next Be A Pro play through.

    Similar topic, what about choosing your stats to begin with. Right now, I think, it's a random assignment of where your skill is, typically overall in the 60s. Honestly, I'd prefer to be able to start as the next McDavid or Crosby, who lit it up in juniors and as rookies. Obviously, less challenging, but it's fun to be the best no? So like an 80 OVA to start, dominate juniors, and go on as the obvious #1 pick. On the other hand, could choose to be a lower OVA, similar as the lower potential option, and really work to get to the show. Again, the harder it is to make it, should be rewarded with some sort of achievement.
  • It feels like Be A Pro hasn't got touched since the next gen switch.
    It is really annoying when you're playing as a Dman and the computer changes during a defensive rush.
  • > @BinMucker94 said:
    > "The issue I have with Be A Pro is the lack of immersion. It feels just like every other game mode you play but instead you are position locked. The mode should be following your player at all times, on and off the ice. Make it feel like you are an actual NHL player.
    >
    > For example, no tv broadcast nonsense. Follow your player out of the locker room, through the tunnel, and onto the ice. Stand at the blue line or on the bench for the anthem. During the game there should be no commentary. On ice sounds should be enhanced. No TV graphics or anything that you wouldn’t see if you were actually playing in an NHL game. Just a small score bug so you know what’s going on.
    >
    > Off ice options to add immersion. Practices, training sessions, teammate interactions, conversations with coaches or the GM, maybe even talk to your agent, skate in warmups, flip some pucks over the glass to kids watching, post game interviews. All of these things can be implemented to have an impact on your skill development and how your team, fans, coaches view you as a player and person. NHL 14 Live the Life seemed like a good starting block for stuff like this. Then it vanished."
    >

    If EA were really willing to overhaul Be A Pro, certainly immersion is the place where they would want to focus. There's a lot that can be improved on that front. I agree, right now the Be A Pro mode requires a bit of imagination to really feel like you are the player. I like your ideas, here are some ideas to expand on those. To be clear, I think time and money make some of these unlikely, but hey, you never know!

    Add in more first person view points. For example, what about being at the NHL draft and seeing from the first person view as you get up and go to the podium, meet your GM, put on your jersey. Similarly, during adding in an award ceremony at season end, if you win something you go up and collect your award. Have a scene where you enter the arena for your game, have the option to sign some autographs. I like the warmups idea, maybe do that from first person view, fire some pucks at the net, toss some pucks over the glass for the kids.

    I also like the idea about talking to your agent, coaches, GM, and teammates. Simplest version is keeping this text based. So, here's a concept. The stats of your player could trigger a reaction from your teammates. If you have a bunch of goals, low assists, you get an interaction with a line mate confronting you about being selfish - you can react positively or negatively, it could impact your ratings (if you say you'll pass more passing goes up, shooting goes down and your teammate is happy). If you have these interactions and make your teammates mad, you end up with coach and maybe GM meetings about your fit on the team, maybe get put on the trade block. Enter your agent, to try to smooth things over, perhaps if you make more money you get a better agent and so you have more options to make things better.

    More generally, it would be cool to have an attribute that reflects your ability to be a good teammate, teammate opinion or something. That attribute would affect the tolerance players have for you, which could be important for goal scorers or undisciplined players. Perhaps balance that attribute out with an attribute for popularity with fans, I think NHL 14 Live the Life had that sort of balance. If you're more popular with fans, more likely to be a trade target, earn more $ in your contracts, if you're a good teammate then more likely to stay with one team, get longer term deals. It would be nice to have a use for money you earn too, maybe you hire better agents as I mentioned before, how about physical trainers, or sports psychologists. Better agents giving you more options for requests for trades, or more options on contracts (no trade clauses). Trainers giving you more stamina/strength, psychologist more awareness. Or maybe money could be used for charity, to increase fan popularity, or funding team events to increase your teammates opinion of you.

    There are a lot of options, I think these require a big overhaul though.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    457 posts Member
    I mainly play EASHL and ONES so I honestly wouldn't care if BaP just up and disappeared entirely. I suggest looking into releasing a cheaper offline version and a F2P or paid online version (both digital only).

    Many people love offline modes which is great but to me it feels empty and only serves as filler for the trophy list.

    Constantly having to fiddle with sliders is an outright chore and I don't feel like slogging through the presets for my usual player face so I just end up using a default guy
  • d3v1t0
    65 posts Member
    Aside from Gameplay, BAP just needs to go back to Live the Life and build from there, like more interview questions, interactions, scenario's, endorsements, etc... but with more added stakes and consequences to your actions. It was way too easy to max out your LTL relationships meters.

    I'd really like to see a "My crib" feature. Something like that, where you can buy certain items like houses and cars to be part of an interactive home screen that you can customize to your liking. And the more money you earn in your career (through salary, endorsements, bonuses, etc.), the higher value items you can buy. So adding things like a home gym or a backyard rink can affect progression and attributes. Like having a hot tub could speed up recovery time if you're injured or fatigued. And having certain items like a big house can play into some fulfillment meter and have an effect on the way teammates and fans perceive you, which can lead to unlocking even more interactions and scenarios, making the experience even more personalized.

    We also need practice mini-games for BAP or anything where you can play with your player outside of regular hockey games, like My Court. Back on the 360 days, I spent a lot of time playing free skate with my player, getting a feel for him just shooting around. I miss the target shooting and skating drills you can do with players from the edit player menu, back when choosing what kind of blade curve, stick flex, and skate blade you used mattered.

    Warm-ups would be awesome. Maybe a soccer mini game where you can play keep-ups with some teammates while increasing your relationship with them. Unless you like having a pre-game nap or mediation, adding extra energy and focus to your player. A big part of any pro's life is their daily routine so that would be brilliant to incorporate into the game.

    Another thing I really enjoyed was being able to save and edit videos from your games, being able to create a highlight reel for yourself. I liked being able to go back and watch milestone moments at the end of a career. I always hoped they'd allow us to save more than just 50 clips, instead of just getting rid of it. I know you can save videos on your console but it's different when you can have those moments labeled in your BAP menu.

    Obviously, we need more options in Free Agency, in terms of being able to negotiate and having more teams to choose from. Maybe be able to hold out. And other obvious options like no-move/no-trade, etc..

    When I think of the potential of BAP, I don't think of just NBA 2K, but I also think of the old Smackdown games on PS2. I loved being able to roam around the arena and talk guys standing around, doing their thing. Imagine if we got to roam around the locker room corridors and talk to teammates and reporters, bother your coach if you wanna move up a line or ask for advice, talk to an equipment manager about using a stick with a different flex or curve, sign an autograph for an eager fan.

    The possibilities are truly endless with this mode. And I believe improving BAP is what will actually bring in new fans to the franchise. And if this is not what the EA team is going to strive for in the coming years, then I see myself probably buying MLB The Show way more than NHL in the future...and I don't even like baseball!
  • Be A Pro Goalies needs to go back to NHL 14 , goalie saves mechanic, Anticipation Saves this was by far best saves mechanic ever to get created, it would make goalie mode more enjoyable, this reactionary saves all it is is auto goalie saves from NHL 2007, NHL 14 (NHL 15 Xbox 360 and PS3) we're best (not the NHL 15 on xboxone version)

    maybe upgrade goalie saves animation to 10.0
    and player animations to 10.0
    goalie stances 10.0
    RPM 5.0

    Presentation 10.0

    Coach Strategies 10.0

    Penalty Sliders 10.0 (add new ones please)

    NHL Rules 10.0

    Player Gear and Goalie Gear 10.0

    Graphics 4k (Capitable with 1080P)

    Checking (5.0)

    More Options in Sliders

    we also may need a Attribute Effects and Team Attribute Effects
  • Be a pro is surprisingly the only mode I have stuck to for more than a month and here is what I would add...

    implement a story mode with choices

    ex. start as a small undrafted forward in an overseas country who fights to get on a team

    or like a start at squirt level (9-11 years old) and work your way up minor team and to the draft

    penalty shot to tie the game up in college or something and then you become well known by scouts and fans

    all star competition

    dressing room and tunnel shots and scenes

    talk to your coaches or other players whenever you want for a line change or signing

    realistic draft and awards night (Come on we only get drafted once!)

    realistic injuries and suspensions

    sponsorships with like bauer, ccm, and true

    optional fan questions and press interviews after big games, injuries, or good streaks

    be a pro mode, be a ref mode, be a coach mode once we retire

    an actual use for the contract we make like houses and cars and upgrade player

    retire at whatever age you want

    more willingness to accept trades

    more contract offers especially if you are a good player

    real free agency with teams offering contracts throughout the season if you choose not to resign

    better face scans or options to choose from

    goalie customizeable masks

    ill add more, but this is what i find most important
  • EA_Blueberry
    3881 posts EA Community Manager
    edited May 2020
    d3v1t0 wrote: »
    Aside from Gameplay, BAP just needs to go back to Live the Life and build from there, like more interview questions, interactions, scenario's, endorsements, etc... but with more added stakes and consequences to your actions. It was way too easy to max out your LTL relationships meters.

    I'd really like to see a "My crib" feature. Something like that, where you can buy certain items like houses and cars to be part of an interactive home screen that you can customize to your liking. And the more money you earn in your career (through salary, endorsements, bonuses, etc.), the higher value items you can buy. So adding things like a home gym or a backyard rink can affect progression and attributes. Like having a hot tub could speed up recovery time if you're injured or fatigued. And having certain items like a big house can play into some fulfillment meter and have an effect on the way teammates and fans perceive you, which can lead to unlocking even more interactions and scenarios, making the experience even more personalized.

    We also need practice mini-games for BAP or anything where you can play with your player outside of regular hockey games, like My Court. Back on the 360 days, I spent a lot of time playing free skate with my player, getting a feel for him just shooting around. I miss the target shooting and skating drills you can do with players from the edit player menu, back when choosing what kind of blade curve, stick flex, and skate blade you used mattered.

    Warm-ups would be awesome. Maybe a soccer mini game where you can play keep-ups with some teammates while increasing your relationship with them. Unless you like having a pre-game nap or mediation, adding extra energy and focus to your player. A big part of any pro's life is their daily routine so that would be brilliant to incorporate into the game.

    Another thing I really enjoyed was being able to save and edit videos from your games, being able to create a highlight reel for yourself. I liked being able to go back and watch milestone moments at the end of a career. I always hoped they'd allow us to save more than just 50 clips, instead of just getting rid of it. I know you can save videos on your console but it's different when you can have those moments labeled in your BAP menu.

    Obviously, we need more options in Free Agency, in terms of being able to negotiate and having more teams to choose from. Maybe be able to hold out. And other obvious options like no-move/no-trade, etc..

    When I think of the potential of BAP, I don't think of just NBA 2K, but I also think of the old Smackdown games on PS2. I loved being able to roam around the arena and talk guys standing around, doing their thing. Imagine if we got to roam around the locker room corridors and talk to teammates and reporters, bother your coach if you wanna move up a line or ask for advice, talk to an equipment manager about using a stick with a different flex or curve, sign an autograph for an eager fan.

    The possibilities are truly endless with this mode. And I believe improving BAP is what will actually bring in new fans to the franchise. And if this is not what the EA team is going to strive for in the coming years, then I see myself probably buying MLB The Show way more than NHL in the future...and I don't even like baseball!

    I've seen a lot of requests for off-the-field stuff, whether it would be a "cribs" feature where you can buy a home and drive around, off-the-field incidents (could be good or bad), and cinematic scenes to decide your fate.

    Did you ever play The Journey (FIFA) or Longshot (Madden), @d3v1t0? I'd love to have interactions outside of the stadium with friends, agents, and teammates. Maybe you're looking to purchase a new ride and your agent can advise you on how people could perceive you, which could affect your marketability? For example, there are always stories of NFL players that are still driving old beat up cars despite making millions and others purchasing homes for their parents with their paycheck. Most people I know love that stuff, so maybe it improves your likability rating? Maybe after practice a day before a game some teammates want to go out to a late dinner and it asks you whether you want to go. Going could make you tired the next day but boost morale with teammates (improves passing), but reduces stamina because you're tired? A little more storyline behind it with different outcomes can keep things fresh. I love where you're going with the hot tub purchase though. Maybe the trainers can recommend those. Being able to spend your salary to build up attributes sounds fun.

    Maybe one day we'll get to a point where all the outcomes you've selected during the season can be put together in a news broadcast storyline before a huge playoff game to add a unique experience. The cutscenes in games are always nice to have and take time to build up, only downside is that if there aren't many created or not randomized it can eventually get stale to where you skip them.
  • d3v1t0
    65 posts Member
    d3v1t0 wrote: »
    Aside from Gameplay, BAP just needs to go back to Live the Life and build from there, like more interview questions, interactions, scenario's, endorsements, etc... but with more added stakes and consequences to your actions. It was way too easy to max out your LTL relationships meters.

    I'd really like to see a "My crib" feature. Something like that, where you can buy certain items like houses and cars to be part of an interactive home screen that you can customize to your liking. And the more money you earn in your career (through salary, endorsements, bonuses, etc.), the higher value items you can buy. So adding things like a home gym or a backyard rink can affect progression and attributes. Like having a hot tub could speed up recovery time if you're injured or fatigued. And having certain items like a big house can play into some fulfillment meter and have an effect on the way teammates and fans perceive you, which can lead to unlocking even more interactions and scenarios, making the experience even more personalized.

    We also need practice mini-games for BAP or anything where you can play with your player outside of regular hockey games, like My Court. Back on the 360 days, I spent a lot of time playing free skate with my player, getting a feel for him just shooting around. I miss the target shooting and skating drills you can do with players from the edit player menu, back when choosing what kind of blade curve, stick flex, and skate blade you used mattered.

    Warm-ups would be awesome. Maybe a soccer mini game where you can play keep-ups with some teammates while increasing your relationship with them. Unless you like having a pre-game nap or mediation, adding extra energy and focus to your player. A big part of any pro's life is their daily routine so that would be brilliant to incorporate into the game.

    Another thing I really enjoyed was being able to save and edit videos from your games, being able to create a highlight reel for yourself. I liked being able to go back and watch milestone moments at the end of a career. I always hoped they'd allow us to save more than just 50 clips, instead of just getting rid of it. I know you can save videos on your console but it's different when you can have those moments labeled in your BAP menu.

    Obviously, we need more options in Free Agency, in terms of being able to negotiate and having more teams to choose from. Maybe be able to hold out. And other obvious options like no-move/no-trade, etc..

    When I think of the potential of BAP, I don't think of just NBA 2K, but I also think of the old Smackdown games on PS2. I loved being able to roam around the arena and talk guys standing around, doing their thing. Imagine if we got to roam around the locker room corridors and talk to teammates and reporters, bother your coach if you wanna move up a line or ask for advice, talk to an equipment manager about using a stick with a different flex or curve, sign an autograph for an eager fan.

    The possibilities are truly endless with this mode. And I believe improving BAP is what will actually bring in new fans to the franchise. And if this is not what the EA team is going to strive for in the coming years, then I see myself probably buying MLB The Show way more than NHL in the future...and I don't even like baseball!

    I've seen a lot of requests for off-the-field stuff, whether it would be a "cribs" feature where you can buy a home and drive around, off-the-field incidents (could be good or bad), and cinematic scenes to decide your fate.

    Did you ever play The Journey (FIFA) or Longshot (Madden), @d3v1t0? I'd love to have interactions outside of the stadium with friends, agents, and teammates. Maybe you're looking to purchase a new ride and your agent can advise you on how people could perceive you, which could affect your marketability? For example, there are always stories of NFL players that are still driving old beat up cars despite making millions and others purchasing homes for their parents with their paycheck. Most people I know love that stuff, so maybe it improves your likability rating? Maybe after practice a day before a game some teammates want to go out to a late dinner and it asks you whether you want to go. Going could make you tired the next day but boost morale with teammates (improves passing), but reduces stamina because you're tired? A little more storyline behind it with different outcomes can keep things fresh. I love where you're going with the hot tub purchase though. Maybe the trainers can recommend those. Being able to spend your salary to build up attributes sounds fun.

    Maybe one day we'll get to a point where all the outcomes you've selected during the season can be put together in a news broadcast storyline before a huge playoff game to add a unique experience. The cutscenes in games are always nice to have and take time to build up, only downside is that if there aren't many created or not randomized it can eventually get stale to where you skip them.

    I haven't played FIFA but I've played Longshot and QB1 in Madden. Personally, the story is fine but it's way too short and ultimately unnecessary. The approach should be making an experience that is personalized to you. So like the scenarios you've mentioned above, where choosing what cars you drive or whether to go out with teammates can shape how your player is perceived and can potentially affect your performance on the ice. Essentially, Live the Life but keep adding more spice, more variety to it.

    Live The Life was a great starting point but, like I said in my post above, it was way too easy to max out your meters. And that's just plain boring because scenarios and interviews eventually turn into an automatic reaction as opposed to a thoughtful decision. Take Last Dance, for example. First off, if you haven't been watching it, you should. But secondly, that documentary alone could tell you so much about the struggles of being a pro athlete. Either, you can be the best and have to deal with unwanted media attention and pressure, or be at the bottom of the barrel and get no respect from your teammates.

    If I remember correctly, it was in MLB 06 The Show, where you can go to the media and call someone out or something like that. It was cool because the game gave YOU the options to stir the pot as well. It wasn't just advancing a day and seeing what text box comes up next. BAP/LTL should also give you the option to take action. It's storytelling 101, an active protagonist is a lot more interesting than a passive protagonist.

    In terms of what's realistic for now, the NHL series can use the Live the Life template and build it into an experience that gamers can only turn to the NHL series for. Maybe cutscenes and in-depth stories aren't viable for this series, at the moment, but there's no question they took a giant leap backwards by ditching Live the Life.
  • BinMucker94
    6 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    I know this isn’t very realistic but I thought it would be cool. So on the ice add to the immersion. I had some examples in my previous post and others here have had some great ideas.

    Off the ice. GTA. Lol

    Give us free roam of the city. Drive to and from practice/games, options to buy cars and houses, maybe go to different training facilities that your player uses on the side. Go to restaurants and bars with teammates, get drunk, drive home, crash into a Tim Hortons at 3am. Maybe you get arrested or maybe you just lose some endorsements.

    Obviously this is not 100% serious but it would be fun the have some free roam. Even if it’s just at the rink. Walk around the locker room and facilities. Talk to teammates and staff. It would be cool to have options to improve or hinder your career. You could be a great teammate/leader or be a selfish jerk that nobody wants to deal with.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • d3v1t0 wrote: »

    Live The Life was a great starting point but, like I said in my post above, it was way too easy to max out your meters. And that's just plain boring because scenarios and interviews eventually turn into an automatic reaction as opposed to a thoughtful decision. Take Last Dance, for example. First off, if you haven't been watching it, you should. But secondly, that documentary alone could tell you so much about the struggles of being a pro athlete. Either, you can be the best and have to deal with unwanted media attention and pressure, or be at the bottom of the barrel and get no respect from your teammates.

    If I remember correctly, it was in MLB 06 The Show, where you can go to the media and call someone out or something like that. It was cool because the game gave YOU the options to stir the pot as well. It wasn't just advancing a day and seeing what text box comes up next. BAP/LTL should also give you the option to take action. It's storytelling 101, an active protagonist is a lot more interesting than a passive protagonist.

    In terms of what's realistic for now, the NHL series can use the Live the Life template and build it into an experience that gamers can only turn to the NHL series for. Maybe cutscenes and in-depth stories aren't viable for this series, at the moment, but there's no question they took a giant leap backwards by ditching Live the Life.

    Regarding the Live the Life likability meters. There's a lot of interesting things they could do with those meters if they were to bring them back and add to them.

    For example, the mix of your meters could lead to an overall evaluation, say you were a fan favorite but not liked by teammates, you might be labeled a "hot shot". Then that label could influence what teams were interested in you, and how likely your own team was to trade you. Would need to figure out some balance for the pros and cons, maybe a hot shot gets individual skill boosts more rapidly, but more likely to get demoted if not performing. While a "good in the room" player gets less skill boosts, but is more likely to be valued by management, so less likely to be traded or sent down even when times are tough.
  • Davanial
    261 posts Member
    If they were to bring back a LTL aspect, just make sure it fits the level your guy is playing at. I began at 16 in junior and had to do all the interviews like my player wasn't some random kid. Keep it realistic.

    And for everything that gets added, no matter how big or small, make it OPTIONAL. That should apply to every aspect of every offline mode. Replays On/Off. Coaches On/Off. Chemistry On/Off. All of it.
  • I think the biggest thing ea needs to do with NHL is an overhaul of the career mode. The career mode has been the same basic bear bones mode basically since it came out, for the most part they haven't changed it at all. EA needs to do what they did with franchise mode last year and completely update it. The career mode has become boring and repetitive. They should add more of a story mode to it like maddens face of the franchise or the NBA 2k career mode. NHL career mode has been left on the side for a while completely forgotten while ea added to the madden and fifa game modes, now they need to implement the changes from those games to NHL.
    One of the biggest things that would add to the career mode would be non-league games, such as world juniors, world championships, Olympics, and the all star game. I think it would be so great if when you are in junior you could make your countries world junior team if you were good enough. I know right now in junior they have the top prospects game but you are basically guaranteed to make that and it's basically just a normal game where as world juniors is would be special. Also, once you make it to the NHL it would great to play in the world championships if your team isn't in the playoffs, or play in the all-star game if you've earned it. Also, Olympics or the hockey world cup would be nice to.
    I think EA basically just needs to make the career mode much more immersive and more of an experience by adding more decisions and things you can do along your career rather than basically making it about just playing the games. If EA modeled the NHL career mode off of Madden 20 face of the franchise, making it more of a story mode, I think that would be perfect.
  • aj198200 wrote: »
    I heard Be A Pro might get an overhaul in the next couple of years. I actually think the mode is pretty fun as is. I'm focusing on what I think might be easy to include tweaks that would add a lot of value to the playing experience.

    1) Free Agency Offers - Allow more than two offers to come to the player. This seems easy, we get tons of offers as a GM in Franchise mode. If you're a high overall rating, and/or high potential, you should get a ton of offers.

    2) View Team Rosters During Free Agency - Let the player look at the team rosters during free agency so they can see what team they might be joining. Again this seem easy, I don't know why we can't open the rosters during free agency currently. The value here is controlling your destination, so you can choose whether to be part of a rebuild project or join a contender.

    3) Trade Requests - If the player has a certain overall and experience, let them to select teams to be traded to, a list of 3 or so. Again, I think this is easy to do because we already can request trades.

    4) Player History - Record the awards a player has received over his career in the player info card.

    5) All Time Leaders - Have a screen where you can see all time leaders. Seems easy to have a screen that is just a data dump of the top 10 or 20 in each category, just some simple lists. Seeing how your career stacks up against the all time greats would be fun, right now we're in a vacuum using our imagination. I scored 900 goals in my career, how does the stack up with where Ovechkin ended up when he hung'em up.

    Main point is that if there is an overhaul then great, but if that can't happen, just some minor updates would make a big difference.

    The things you said to add are good ideas, but BAP needs more than just some minor tweaks and updates. It does need a complete overhaul, and I disagree with you, it isn't very fun. BAP has stayed the same for at least 10 years. The biggest issue I have with it, the same as many others, is the lack of immersion. It is a very basic mode and not very fun. I may play it for a few days, but after a while I get bored of just playing games and doing nothing else. It needs more variety to the mode eg. cut scenes and off ice stuff etc. If you could model it after Madden 20's QB1 or FIFA's the Journey that would be great. Also, more Junior options would be great too eg. NCAA, U sports, Europe. Like I said there just needs to be more variety of things you can do and it needs to be more immersive.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!