SP + 3 speed
X + 2 speed
WC + 3 acceleration

I have a 94 Flashback Guy Lafleur who already has :

Acceleration - 98
Speed - 98

and X2 / 1T2 synergies.

PROBLEM :

When playing the above with ALL attributes it is impossible to follow. My Ultra Excellent Team (in numbers) are the equivalent to low bronze players compared to the above team in Superstar mode. Not only do their players pass (ie. in this ONE example of MANY), Guy Lafleur as if he had bricks in his skates, as soon as I have the puck, the opposing players seem to have magnets in their blades. Furthermore, my players in general are so p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y S*L*O*W... by the time an opponent has the puck and I attempt to get a player near, the puck has already been passed to two other opposing players! 😂

Now although I consider myself a ‘good’ player and that there are obviously many better than I have two questions :

1. Any tips to attaining the challenges (except 65% passing of course) when playing against a Superman lightening speed opponent?

2. Are the synergies doing ANYTHING for anyone or are they simply there as ‘eye candy’ giving players the illusion of having a better team? (I can just imagine not having any synergies if they are ‘real’ improvements... wow 🤦‍♂️).

Thanks to all in advance!

Replies

• Last challenge 9/9 - Arizona Coyotes
    -Get a shutout
    -Score A short handed goal
    -Passing % of at least 65%

I’ve got a 95 overall team with 15 synergies
    NP / 1T / BL / TK / WC / X / BM / SP / FB / DK / AD / WK / WM / RS / M

SP + 3 speed
    X + 2 speed
    WC + 3 acceleration

I have a 94 Flashback Guy Lafleur who already has :

Acceleration - 98
    Speed - 98

and X2 / 1T2 synergies.

PROBLEM :

When playing the above with ALL attributes it is impossible to follow. My Ultra Excellent Team (in numbers) are the equivalent to low bronze players compared to the above team in Superstar mode. Not only do their players pass (ie. in this ONE example of MANY), Guy Lafleur as if he had bricks in his skates, as soon as I have the puck, the opposing players seem to have magnets in their blades. Furthermore, my players in general are so p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y S*L*O*W... by the time an opponent has the puck and I attempt to get a player near, the puck has already been passed to two other opposing players! 😂

Now although I consider myself a ‘good’ player and that there are obviously many better than I have two questions :

1. Any tips to attaining the challenges (except 65% passing of course) when playing against a Superman lightening speed opponent?

2. Are the synergies doing ANYTHING for anyone or are they simply there as ‘eye candy’ giving players the illusion of having a better team? (I can just imagine not having any synergies if they are ‘real’ improvements... wow 🤦‍♂️).

Thanks to all in advance!

I’ll start by saying that synergies works. That being said, you can’t get over 99 in any attribute with or without synergies. I’ll add to that that the CPU on Superstar will have an advantage (you are handicapped to make it harder), so your attributes feel like they would be lower.

My hints to complete it would be to pass as less as you can to make sure that you don’t get intercepted too many times. For the short handed goal, you can try taking a penalty during any time of the game. An easier way though, would be to play the game à get all the way to end with a 1-2 goals lead and take a penalty (shoot the puck over the board in your zone) in the third period and when they take their goalie away, you score the goal. The only thing that can keep you from successfully complete it would be how good you are at the game, but if you’re decent/good, you should be able to do it quite easily.

Good luck! Have fun!
  • Synergies are a nice boost but when you're talking 96 to a 99 I'm not sure how much we're getting. I favor Team Syns with higher rated cards and Player Syns with the base cards. Speed and acceleration are good stats but my thing with the Flower cards is the low Discipline stat. He'll stay out on the ice too long and wear down even with high endurance and durability. It also seems like those are the ones missing assingments too and don't follow strategies.

The Shorty was the killer for me. I agree the best way is to carry a 1 or 2 goal lead into the 3rd period and take a penalty with 60 to 90 seconds to go and let them pull their goalie and go for the empty net. My problem was they'd score on the faceoff or take a penalty and we'd go 4 on 4 and by the time I could take another they'd score or I was out of time. I finally solved it by taking an accidental major boarding penalty in the 1st shift of the game with Mario and getting a cheap one off the boards late in the game down 5.

Don't over switch your player in the D-zone and chase the opponent around. I try to controll the player with the lower discipline or awareness or lowest rated and focus on keeping the slot clear. They dance and cycle the puck but will give it up before too long and you can clear and try to set up. Like real hockey, don't chase and let the goalie see the shooter. If you like to controll the D-man don't go below the net and use that skill stick to take away passing lanes. If you control a forward stay up top & in front of the point-man and don't drop too low.

This will also open up your passing lanes and avoid those 'magnets'. Let your AI pick up the puck and get the player you are controlling into position to receive it. It also helps to play it back from time to time but ultimately you want to be following your strategies for breaking your zone or center ice play.

EA didn't post a clock but I'm guessing you'll have another week to collect it.
  • And you can do it in multiple games. You can do the passing, then in another game the shorthanded goal, and in a third game the shutout. You don’t have to do it absolutely in the same attempt/game.
  • And you can do it in multiple games. You can do the passing, then in another game the shorthanded goal, and in a third game the shutout. You don’t have to do it absolutely in the same attempt/game.
    Excactly. I remember there has been some challenges (in 18 or 19?) that were IMPOSSIBLE to do all in one game, "score a SH goal... and don't take any penalties". :D
  • ke0ni808
    276 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    The superstar AI can’t handle it if you just box them out i.e skill zone or just play passive and make sure not to over commit and leave the slot open. They will just keep laser passing by the boards and on the point until the game decides that it’s time for them to make a mistake. The AI can still get lucky with a point shot, deflection or a rebound but that’s to be expected. In my experience it’s pretty rare though because the AI is really really stupid and it doesn’t seem to understand timings all too well or that it could shoot to the pads to get rebounds.