EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Prev13456712
Alright hate to be that guy but I gotta say this has probably been the worst for gameplay. The AI is pretty much useless they get walked constantly and leave their man open in front of the net or they stop on at the top of the circles allowing a 2 on 2 rush become a 2 on 1. So defence has been frustrating especially because when you do challenge the puck carrier he just passes the puck through and usually right by a AI defender that apparently forgets how to use their stick to intercept pucks. Not to mention goalies can’t stop a beach ball to save their life. I only bring this up cause I’ve been playing hut since nhl 12 and have never lost as much as I have in this game then in any other game.

Just would like to know if anyone else feels the same way or is having other issues that I didn’t mention. EA I would love some answers to these questions. Thanks

Replies

• Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited May 6
    This is the worst hockey game I have ever played. The horrible gameplay is not an accident, it plays exactly how EA wants it to play out. This joke of a game is nothing more than a scripted, predictable, frustrating, unenjoyable trainwreck. This product is an absolute disgrace!! There are hockey games from 15-20 years ago that has far more entertainment value than this embarrassment.

Yes there are it's ashame what they've done to this series ...just out of curiosity what are the most glaring issue's for you about the game you don't like besides the DDA ...for me it's the goalies and the unrealistic game play ,etc ....
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member
    For me its out of the question the lag thats messed up my gameplay, thats cause an unfair balance, were my opponent can take advantage of the momentum I build up.

But for the moment im not suffer to much of that right now.

Either from that, I have never ever been able to play hockey the way I like, as I can do in NHL20. Its really amazing when it plays out without any disturbing side effects.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited May 7
    These are the same issues I have with the game as well but what really is most upsetting is coming here after people show clips after clips and the devs mods , basically say nah the game is fine maybe it's you ,and in my opinion next year's game will probably be worse
    Post edited by Treatmentworke66 on
  • EA_Blueberry
    2896 posts EA Community Manager
    @nickprevost @AREAxxxxxxx51 @Treatmentworke66 @Sega82mega

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to ask you all a couple things here. It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience as of lately playing NHL 20 and I'd like you to list out the top 5 changes you want to see. Perhaps we can start focusing this discussion around those topics to get a conversation going.

My other question is this. Do you enjoy the game at all? Are there features of the game you really have fun with that we can let the team know to take note of? You gave specifics on areas you want the team to make changes in like defense, goalies, and AI (some of the biggest topics in these forums), but I know in the past working forums for a lot of our other games is that I'll see comments like "the worst game ever" but then on the accounts being pulled up those players are playing the game every day or every other day, so to me it's their version of conveying they're very passionate about the game and want to see it improve. Most people that play a game and move on don't typically create a forum accounts and actively continue to post.
  • My issue with gameplay is that every single game feels and plays the exact same. I mostly play offline and no matter what systems or strategies are selected every game is the exact same thing.

CPU looping in the neutral zone for minutes looking for a zone entry before they dump the puck. If they need to regroup have the full team actually run a regroup, go D to D, forwards curl, make good passes. The way it happens now is a disaster.

Dump/chip and chase doesn’t work well, boardplay is horrible, needs to completely be reworked

My AI is always in the same spot, doesn’t matter what break out I run, what forecheck or defense I run, it’s always the same. Zone entries, all my guys are always in the same spot. Doesn’t matter what I do. They don’t react to me at all. If you’re looking to setup different plays/realistic hockey plays you basically have to force them. Nothing flows.

Every player feels/plays the same. I think this has to do with the Attributes for everyone being so close together. There’s a 0-99 scale, make use of it! McDavid should be able to torch 97% of the league. He should be high 90s for speed acceleration, and agility. Make guys with average speed way lower, in the mid 70s maybe. Then you can have guys considered slow down in the 50s. This goes for all attributes, not just speed. Spread them out more. Everyone is so close together that there isn’t a noticeable difference between players.
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member
    I saw couple a days ago I played over 1.7k games in this years game, it speak for itself. Im a very addicted person, when I find something I like, I do it alot. On good and bad.

As I mention, I really dont have any problem with this game when it comes to the devoloper part. Its pretty tight. It would be cool if some more strategi comes alive. And some stuff around the gameplay that I mention in another thread. Other then that I leave the faith to the team. Keep polish the game here and there in the same direaction. I hope that ps5 will bring much Joy!
  • 1. Pucks going through your game player and AI players to many times I've either played the pass perfect of stepped up in the neutral zone and the puck will literally go right through me for a scoring chance I’ve sent so many clips to EA of this happen and all I get is excuses.
    2. Goalies the fact that there’s guaranteed goalies that go in weather it’s the one handed tuck or the forehand backhand deke is kind weak considering in real life those are low percentage chances cause goalies can actually track the puck better. Also when they slide across the net on a D to D one timer like there’s no possibility of the player shooting back the other way. Let’s go back to the start of NHL 18 where goalies were really good and games where like 4-1, 2-0 those games are competitive and fun stop listening to just the top players who wanna score 10 goals a game because that ridiculous.
    3. AI is the worst this year I feel like I have be every where on the ice this year on defence because your AI never just stays where they’re suppose to be or just let they’re man get open or on the rush where the weak side D man doesn’t take the inside lane or even sometimes comes over to help you when your playing a 2 on 2 leaving weak side winger wide open for an easy tap in like what would it take to make the AI just a little bit smarter?
    4. Passing is a joke in all the nhl games it’s one thing that you guys just never seem to get right like so many times I’ve made a pass up ice and your player just straight up misses it or when you walk out from behind the net and you go to pass it to the guy in high slot but instead goes to play D man which usually just results in a turn over. Like the amount of goals that get created because the puck goes where you didn’t pass it.
    5. The last one is matchmaking it’s been pretty bad in every game but this year where they took the names off of who you’re playing has made it worse because it never seems to match you up in a competitive game also someone way better then you or way worse for some reason like why can’t you just be matched with guys around your record so like for HUT champs let’s say I’m 7-0 how about it’s matches me with players that are between 8-0 and 6-0 because chances are you guys are of the same caliber at the game but instead what happens is you’ll be 7-0 and it’s makes you play someone that’s 15-1 or 18-0 which in my opinion isn’t very fair cause chances are they’re probably way better at the game then you are.

With all that being said I will say that the content in hut has been amazing very different from past years just a lot of gameplay issues and match making that needs to be fixed. Would also like to see a way to make your own plays and defence where you can choose where players are on the ice and where they go.
  • EA_Aljo
    1492 posts EA Community Manager
    @nickprevost

I'm not seeing where you submitted your clips. Can you post them again or provide links to them?
  • I sent them to your guys twitter help page
  • EA_Aljo
    1492 posts EA Community Manager
    I sent them to your guys twitter help page

It would be good if you could post them here. It's easy for those to get lost on Twitter.
  • nyi95
    117 posts Member
    EA Blueberry..

Might I suggest that you go back and play a game on the old gen. I'm currently playing franchise mode on nhl14. I play on the hardest setting, superstar, hardcore sim. 8 min periods on default sliders. Games are so much more fun than on current gen. You feel like you actually have a fair chance of winning or losing. Now, obviously, don't compare the graphics or the skating( that is quite superior in todays game) Then, try playing the same settings on this gen, nhl20. I can guarantee you, the results will be very different.

I'm convinced that you devs have the capability of making a great hockey game. ( I'm referring to the nhl19 beta) best two weeks I ever had on this gen. You showed us then that its possible.

Imo, this game is like mentioned above. Too predictable and every game is the same, game after game. The fun factor is totally gone for me. It feels like a chore to play this game. Ive played with the sliders more than actually played the game. Ive tried so many sliders(thank you to all who took the time to post them)

Look, I know it can't be easy to program a game as complex as hockey, but, you have showed us that it's possible.

Give it a try. Play a couple games on old gen and really give it a good look as to why we had more fun with it compared to now.

Its a game, it should be fun to play. This is why im playing on my ps3 instead.

Stay safe one and all.
  • Boston2011Bruins
    1 posts New member
    edited May 8
    Hands down the worst AI in any NHL ever made. Beyond infuriating how stupid they are. 0 hockey IQ or even common sense, dont pass when you call for a pass and does nothing but shoot directly into the goalies chest. Hands down the worst AI I've ever seen in any game. Pathetic EA get it right one time please.
    [Socair - edited for profanity]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Steven5470
    349 posts Member
    Hands down the worst AI in any NHL ever made. Beyond infuriating how stupid they are. 0 hockey IQ or even common sense, dont pass when you call for a pass and does nothing but shoot directly into the goalies chest. Hands down the worst AI I've ever seen in any game. Pathetic EA get it right one time please.
    [Socair - edited for profanity]

You mean like this? You can clearly see the AI player push the puck BACK even though he had an open path to the net. The AI logic in this game is non-existent.

These things are so annoying and frustrating. The bad thing, is that I loaded up NHL19 played a few games, and hardly saw any of this illogical AI passing. So something happened between 19 and 20.
  • [quote="BinMucker94;c-2130854"]My issue with gameplay is that every single game feels and plays the exact same. I mostly play offline and no matter what systems or strategies are selected every game is the exact same thing.

CPU looping in the neutral zone for minutes looking for a zone entry before they dump the puck. If they need to regroup have the full team actually run a regroup, go D to D, forwards curl, make good passes. The way it happens now is a disaster.

Dump/chip and chase doesn’t work well, boardplay is horrible, needs to completely be reworked

My AI is always in the same spot, doesn’t matter what break out I run, what forecheck or defense I run, it’s always the same. Zone entries, all my guys are always in the same spot. Doesn’t matter what I do. They don’t react to me at all. If you’re looking to setup different plays/realistic hockey plays you basically have to force them. Nothing flows.

Every player feels/plays the same. I think this has to do with the Attributes for everyone being so close together. There’s a 0-99 scale, make use of it! McDavid should be able to torch 97% of the league. He should be high 90s for speed acceleration, and agility. Make guys with average speed way lower, in the mid 70s maybe. Then you can have guys considered slow down in the 50s. This goes for all attributes, not just speed. Spread them out more. Everyone is so close together that there isn’t a noticeable difference between players.[/quote]

Hey genius, you can turn attribute effects up to 10. That actually makes every player different.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited May 10
    nyi95 wrote: »
    EA Blueberry..

Might I suggest that you go back and play a game on the old gen. I'm currently playing franchise mode on nhl14. I play on the hardest setting, superstar, hardcore sim. 8 min periods on default sliders. Games are so much more fun than on current gen. You feel like you actually have a fair chance of winning or losing. Now, obviously, don't compare the graphics or the skating( that is quite superior in todays game) Then, try playing the same settings on this gen, nhl20. I can guarantee you, the results will be very different.

I'm convinced that you devs have the capability of making a great hockey game. ( I'm referring to the nhl19 beta) best two weeks I ever had on this gen. You showed us then that its possible.

Imo, this game is like mentioned above. Too predictable and every game is the same, game after game. The fun factor is totally gone for me. It feels like a chore to play this game. Ive played with the sliders more than actually played the game. Ive tried so many sliders(thank you to all who took the time to post them)

Look, I know it can't be easy to program a game as complex as hockey, but, you have showed us that it's possible.

Give it a try. Play a couple games on old gen and really give it a good look as to why we had more fun with it compared to now.

Its a game, it should be fun to play. This is why im playing on my ps3 instead.

Stay safe one and all.

Lol... 19 should have been in my opinion a great game ,but for some strange reason they choose to listen to just the top players and completely ruined 19
  • My biggest problem still is that AI is the dumbest thing but also the BEST thing in WoC. It seems that because they can't script them to make smart decisions they get INSANELY boosted abilities and attributes.

EA developer 1: we should add board passes as part of the AI's tool bag!

EA developer 2: yeah! Anytime the CPU is near the boards they will bank it even if completely unnecessary and even if it won't get to the player, just to show off the new feature!

EA 1: it seems a lot of people are complaining about the positioning of the AI, what should we do?

EA 2: we've done enough work with their positioning, just boost their speed, strength, shooting, make them not hittable in certain situations.. that should be enough!

EA 1: they seem to be complaining about the cross crease against CPU!

EA 2: they need more help? Ok increase CPU pass interceptions to maximum and controller reaction speed to maximum!

EA 1: but sir! That will mean that the CPU will be able to reach about 8' in any direction and the quickness to jump any pass around them!

EA 2: I said maximum! We don't have time to program the CPU to be better!

EA 1: seems people are complaining that CPU's are not getting involved enough on offense.. they typically stand in one place, sometimes in front of the net with no ability to score, sometimes near the blue line and won't shoot.. what should we do?

EA 2: ugh! Just make them twitch a whole bunch while people can't hit them and once a hole opens up in net have them fire one in!

How meetings SHOULD go..

EA 1: It seems people are complaining about the positioning of AI what should we do?

EA 2: we should look into what they're doing and what modes they're playing. Anyone playing WoC is likely not wanting to play AGAINST the AI so we should give a whole lot more ways for players to find teammates! Match making lobbies, player finder tools, no grouping up in drop-in, team practice mode, I'm sure there are a lot of things we could look into! In HUT we could give the players more tools to decide how their team plays! Adjust sliders for their AI decision making. Maybe they want their d men to be firing them in or trying to get more involved in offense. Maybe add a player profile and in any mode (apart from WoC) your player profile strategy sliders and line strategies are immediately implemented in whatever game mode you're playing!

EA 1: seems people are complaining about cross crease passes against CPU!

EA 2: in WoC push players to play with other humans. If we increase CPU ability we will hear people complaining about the CPU being too good too and also no one wants to play against CPU or they would be playing our other modes (which can also be played with friends) we also don't want people depending on CPU because they won't get better and their opponents will get frustrated. Maybe we can just have them NOT step up for no apparent reason but not adjust their abilities?

I mostly just play WoC and while I don't play any league play I still consider myself a pretty good player (I hover around 8-900 cr in EASHL, so not great but good I also play with randoms sometimes, I'm around 1100 cr in THREES and w/o a doubt I can EASILY say that the CPU is better than ANY player in threes. Anytime we play a team with a CPU we have to go all out and do ANYTHING we can to stop him. Half the time one player just has to not play the game to try to keep the CPU out of it. It's not fun. It's incredibly annoying that in a arcade like game they have the pass interception ability of a CPU in EASHL and Mascots have about a 10' reach to pick off passes. It's the most frustrating thing. I can't say how many times I've lost to a team of 2 400cr players and a CPU that stopped everything we did and ALSO scored 4 goals himself. We can't hit him when he's in certain animations, he's faster, hits harder, tracks pucks w/o fail, has the ability to go 5 hole right in front of the goalie with WAY too high of a success rate. In EASHL drop in we have players quit and if you find yourself up against 2 humans and 4 CPU the whole game is going to be NO fun and just a game of survival to keep the CR you have.. but unless you resort to ragging the puck and abusing the game you will likely lose.. esp if playing with randoms in drop in. EASHL drop in and THREES are and Club play for that matter (if you don't search with 5-6) is just how to best utilize the CPU broken abilities.. if I wanted to do that I would play other modes but people want easy wins vs humans with CPU help. It's fun for two guys and not fun at all for 3-6 guys. If we added more tools for players to meet and play with other players we could eliminate these problems.

Maybe allow drop-in mode to stay the same but add EASHL scout mode. This mode would have NO CR. If players quit, they would be replaced by other human players. After the game you go to a lobby where players could switch teams or team up in another lobby. Players who are not in a club would have FA (Free agent) next to their name. Players who are in a club would have their club next to their name. After the game(s) you could look back at your previous 5 games and any players that entered the game. You could look at their stats across all modes in WoC. Maybe also have a player profile that answers questions like mic? Y/n favorite position(s) C LW rw LD rd g. Clubs would show their location, times they usually play, positions they're looking for, etc. THEN after a player or multiple players want to tryout for the team we could have a team practice mode where players enter a matchmaking lobby and can get a feel for their prospects and work on different things.
  • My issue with gameplay is that every single game feels and plays the exact same. I mostly play offline and no matter what systems or strategies are selected every game is the exact same thing.

Every player feels/plays the same. I think this has to do with the Attributes for everyone being so close together. There’s a 0-99 scale, make use of it! McDavid should be able to torch 97% of the league. He should be high 90s for speed acceleration, and agility. Make guys with average speed way lower, in the mid 70s maybe. Then you can have guys considered slow down in the 50s. This goes for all attributes, not just speed. Spread them out more. Everyone is so close together that there isn’t a noticeable difference between players.

Hey genius, you can turn attribute effects up to 10. That actually makes every player different.

Hey genius, you think I haven’t tried that? I’ve messed with sliders more than I’ve actually played the game. The players still don’t play any different.
  • LT Ballerina dancing needs to end. Years past guys would blow a tire and that took care of it.

Literally just faced a team full of enforcer defensemen and they LT danced the entire time and all we could do was wait. Its pathetic.