EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Replies

• bryta47 wrote: »

For that to happen EA need to stop being so defensive about the game and accept criticism as more than personal attacks on devs.

Not saying you - but have you *read* the stuff people write? It's about 70/30 "this game sucks, we need new devs" vs actual constructive criticism.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Totally agree. I’d take it one step further and remove whatever causes poke checks to go right back to the defender that GOT POKED. Or to his oncoming teammate. There are so many instances where even a clean poke check creates a negative outcome for the defensive player and a scoring chance for the offensive player who GOT POKED.

Remember EA, GETTING POKED is bad. Don’t make doing a bad thing turn into a positive outcome. Stop it. It’s been long enough now.

Second this. So frustrating - the exhilaration of executing a successful poke check obliterated when the puck goes straight back to him or a teammate. Playing D is difficult enough, thanks
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Yes. This existed in the previous generation but hasn't returned as there have been other areas of the game that needed to be prioritized.

OK thanks. It wasn't a criticism but I thought I was losing my mind because the talk was more like "who would like this" vs "who would like this brought back" and I was sure it used to be there LOL
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited June 19
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    bryta47 wrote: »

For that to happen EA need to stop being so defensive about the game and accept criticism as more than personal attacks on devs.

Not saying you - but have you *read* the stuff people write? It's about 70/30 "this game sucks, we need new devs" vs actual constructive criticism.

Yeah, and 70/30 of the mods’ replies is a variation of ”post a video and get better.” That part of the forum is stupid, I agree, but it kind of cancels itself out.

No, of course I mean the more constructive discussions involving Ben and others. I read them as very defensive from EA’s part.
  • EA_Aljo
    1478 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Yes. This existed in the previous generation but hasn't returned as there have been other areas of the game that needed to be prioritized.

OK thanks. It wasn't a criticism but I thought I was losing my mind because the talk was more like "who would like this" vs "who would like this brought back" and I was sure it used to be there LOL

You're welcome. I'm really hoping it returns as it's been a pretty common request.
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited June 19
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    As a defender, almost nothing is more frustrating than constantly watching your forwards force the same couple of plays over and over again with the entire defense collapsing and your D are wide open at the points. .

I feel this soooo hard

God don’t even get me started. I got so frustrated with this that at one point I changed my EASHL player name to WhyDon’tYou UseThePoint. And this is coming from someone who mostly plays forward!

Nothing boils my blood more than a fellow forward taking a good ol’ slapper from a terrible angle while our D man is wide open on the weak side, just salivating for a one timer that will probably result in a goal. This is why I can’t stand the saying “no shot is a bad shot”. I prefer “bad shot equals turnover”.
  • Sega82mega
    1289 posts Member
    edited August 14
    I was just out playing for hmm fun today.. And tryed to really analyze my opponent's and how they prefer to attack/play.

And this is nothing strange, but when we are about to compete, its natural to do what we are best at doing , for example, if im right footed in soccer, then im gonna look for chances to score with my right foot.

What that has to do with this game is that when you are coming from your right, on the wing, its almost no one that take shots from that side to the goalies right side(from players view, aim to the left of the goal) what people do here instead of a shot(beacuse lack of time, weak thumb-side) is that they pass to the left so they could aim to the right(thumbs-strong side) . Shots-from the left side-aim right, over and over again. Witch makes left aimed shots almost non-existent and so on very monotonously offensive play, this is something you also can see has an effect in the defense, were everyone has a side they are better on to body check.

I wish there was a way were it was more easy for everyone to use left/aimed shots/hits so it wasen't that obvious what to expect coming for you.

You can also notice this on how we prefer to skate in this game, always on our strong side.

And all this is making the game really "one sided" played where all the importen keys, offense and defense is steered in one direction, all the time.
  • despite occasional communication from EA, especially just before the release of each year. I don't think EA makes new hockey every year. According to me and not only according to me, but also according to an expert from the gaming industry, EA has prepared every sports game for every year several years in advance. The only thing that changes are the rosters, and sometimes some rules seem to be done to make it look like the NHL. But otherwise it has been ready for a long time and that is why we people will not change anything in the back forums.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    . I don't think EA makes new hockey every year.

Correct. EA does not create a brand new game engine every year.
  • Lol why does the AI still step up for no reason ,why does a 98 rated goalie have basically no rebound control ,guy shots a muffin yet the goalie kicks it out right in front of the net
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    . I don't think EA makes new hockey every year.

Correct. EA does not create a brand new game engine every year.

every engine goes through an evolution if it's a game maker.
    it's a kit to which you can or can't connect other things. I say that EA does not use all the possibilities of the engine in hockey because it is all long ago planned.
    The first was a skillstick, the penultimate thing is, in my opinion, 4 referees from 2015 and finally nhl20 with TOP player shots. At the NFL, we talk about a minimum of 100 items. In hockey for a maximum of 10 ... I claim that EA already ten years ago knew what nhl21 would look like.
    Yes, it is a small company and it cannot be compared to game giants.
    Expecting better hockey in the next 10 years is just a dream.
  • How would you all feel about a practice or free skate mode for Clubs where you can practice strategies without having to worry about an opposing defense, do you think that would help improve the cycling of the puck and promote other types of strategies?

One thing I really love about FIFA are the skill games within a dedicated section of the game and during loading screens. If you haven't played FIFA, there are games you can play to test your skills in certain areas like passing, dribbling the ball, etc. They are time based. Like this video below:

They had this mode back in nhl 14. Was 14 perfect? No, but it was enjoyable to play, the grind to legend 3, setting up your player how you wanted to play the game. The stick flex/skate size options were there. Whoever took over as lead on nhl 15, really went the wrong way with the franchise.. to strip it down to the bare, because of a "new console" is confusing because it was the only ea title to be stripped of everything that we enjoyed in the game. Then slowly putting features back in, calling them "new" like I've said before, 14 should have been the blueprint to build off of. Matchmaking never used to be this bad from what I remember, but I've sat in a lobby waiting sometimes at least 20 mins, just to get into a game, because the lobby doesn't always fill up so people back out. By then I've almost lost interest in even playing the game, so I switch games.
  • EA_Aljo
    Oslik1000 wrote: »
    despite occasional communication from EA, especially just before the release of each year. I don't think EA makes new hockey every year. According to me and not only according to me, but also according to an expert from the gaming industry, EA has prepared every sports game for every year several years in advance. The only thing that changes are the rosters, and sometimes some rules seem to be done to make it look like the NHL. But otherwise it has been ready for a long time and that is why we people will not change anything in the back forums.

This is not true. NHL games are not made several years in advance. There's a lot more that changes than rosters and rules.
  • Such as?
  • EA_Aljo
    Davanial wrote: »
    Such as?

Gameplay changes, new modes, skating and shot additions/updates, updates to existing features, and modes to name a few.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1265 posts Member
    edited August 17
    Yeah, they completely re-did the online dressing rooms, and ruined them in the process. it's quite an achievement, considering they weren't great to begin with. But somehow they managed to make them suck even worse.

Also: clown gear and gym bags!
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yeah, they completely re-did the online dressing rooms, and ruined them in the process. it's quite an achievement, considering they weren't great to begin with. But somehow they managed to make them suck even worse.

How were they bad to begin with? Because it was first come first serve? But if you got into a lobby with others, sometimes they would actually talk and trade positions, then actually in retrospect, you could possibly learn how to play another position? Even though you can select your position now, doesn't mean people still play their positions properly, plus its made matchmaking worse. I honestly preferred the older lobby style over what we have now, at least it didn't take 20 mins just to find one drop in game. But thats just my opinion.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Davanial wrote: »
    Such as?

Gameplay changes, new modes, skating and shot additions/updates, updates to existing features, and modes to name a few.

So why is the AI unbearably bad and getting worse on an annual basis?
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1265 posts Member
    edited August 17
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

How were they bad to begin with? Because it was first come first serve? But if you got into a lobby with others, sometimes they would actually talk and trade positions, then actually in retrospect, you could possibly learn how to play another position? Even though you can select your position now, doesn't mean people still play their positions properly, plus its made matchmaking worse. I honestly preferred the older lobby style over what we have now, at least it didn't take 20 mins just to find one drop in game. But thats just my opinion.

I wasnt talkin about lobbies, as they were in the old gen; I meant current gen only.

They actually removed the ability to choose a team for drop-ins, and the ability to pick your position while the teams were building up. Now you first choose position, and then start the search. Also, they removed the chat window from clubs at least (don't remember if that was in drop ins?) So in that sense, the current gen has gone backwards.

And all the while my PS4 is making an unholy racket, because you know, gotta have the menus running with full fps for some reason?

I won't even talk about the lobby era, since I didn't even play the game then.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

I wasnt talkin about lobbies, as they were in the old gen; I meant current gen only.

They actually removed the ability to choose a team for drop-ins, and the ability to pick your position while the teams were building up. Now you first choose position, and then start the search. Also, they removed the chat window from clubs at least (don't remember if that was in drop ins?) So in that sense, the current gen has gone backwards.

I won't even talk about the lobby era, since I didn't even play the game then.

My apologies for misunderstanding, in that case I definitely agree with you.