EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Replies

• EA's answer to make people forget how bad the game and game play is to keep pumping out 99
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited May 24
    EA's answer to make people forget how bad the game and game play is to keep pumping out 99

Which would be fine, if there was some kind of cap or limit to how many Super Special cards a team can put on the ice. But every team you end up meeting in the higher divs or in Champs is comprised of twelve 99 players, six 98 Defensemen, one 90+ Goalie and a 55 Bronze goalie just to exploit the the Team overall so you don't get matched up with higher tier opponents.

Like It would be fine if you had to play teams made up of base McDavids and Crosby and Ovechkin and Carey Price, or even 85 Gretzky or Lemieux. But they had like one or two special cards like Legend or Playoff Predictor up front and on defense.

Maybe it's just me, but to me ULTIMATE team means having to build a team with players that fit MY style of play and be competitive. Not having to be lucky in pack pulls or have a bazillion coins in the bank so I can buy 10 cards rated 99 so I can just run over everyone by tossing muffins from the red line because their stats are broken.

Then every team can be "Ultimate", not just the ones with enough money to have a 99-99-99 overall team.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited May 24
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    bryta47 wrote: »
    And the solution to these problems is...? Just do it better and do it now?

1. Don't make the game an annual release
    2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

1. Ooh, I dont know if im patient enough for that. But other then that, good idea, for them to get some more time.

2. And what if it gets worst? Then what.. Another dev team? It takes time to build up something, they are on to something now, would be stupid to start all over.

Well, nothing personal, but I'd rather wait a few years for devs with a fresh take to have a try at it, than keep playing current games.
  • Really player speed needs to come down to a more realistic level. The L2 swerving is just too exaggerated at these high speeds. It’s pretty phoney.

More loose pucks - more puck boggles - more puck battles.

Sometimes the bumping does too much at lower speeds from right behind. Why can’t a guy pass away when he’s getting checked from behind?
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member

2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

1. Ooh, I dont know if im patient enough for that. But other then that, good idea, for them to get some more time.

2. And what if it gets worst? Then what.. Another dev team? It takes time to build up something, they are on to something now, would be stupid to start all over.

Well, nothing personal, but I'd rather wait a few years for devs with a fresh take to have a try at it, than keep playing current games.

Yeah im not surprise alot of people want to see someone new that runs the show, exposed job to gratify a relatively Young target group. Important not just looking at the problems, and to hear about the intentions. I for one like the way Ben is thinking and how he explain the problems of the game that exist now. This means they are aware of the problem and working on a sulotion, watch out for 21! hockey's revenge! :)
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited May 25

2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

Yeah im not surprise alot of people want to see someone new that runs the show, exposed job to gratify a relatively Young target group. Important not just looking at the problems, and to hear about the intentions. I for one like the way Ben is thinking and how he explain the problems of the game that exist now. This means they are aware of the problem and working on a sulotion, watch out for 21! hockey's revenge! :)

I actually do not like the way EA talk about the game at all. They are way to defensive about their product and quick to shift blame onto the user - and that tells me they won’t make any significant changes any time soon.

Also, I don’t care much for detailed explanations about mechanics and coding, when the game - as a whole - doesn’t even feel like hockey. Discussions about specific trees is pointless when the whole forest is on fire, you know?

I’ve been playing NHL since the beginning and it’s frustrating and sad to see a game series I used to love turn into something I more or less despise.

I don’t know... Maybe I’m just getting too old for all this?
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member
    edited May 25
    Well if criticism consists of sayin, EA sucks, this game suck, dev team sucks, I understand if they dont even replys to that, were would that lead, but when a guy like BF1 comes with factual criticism that point out a existing problem to a very high degree and additionally propose a good solution. Then we can talk. You cant just say, the whole forest is on fire then turn your back, hoping some magic rain man shows up and make everything how it suppose to be. I say we put out one Fire at the time and eventuelly we got it all sort out. But I would call myself a optimist, why not...?.. No tree no forest.

Do you put any blame on human errors? Cuz I do, and its on a scary high level to, were people high up in HUT champ and rivals dont even know how to work your controller when it comes to defensive play.

In short term: many people dont know how to skate in this game, only one way, and if we want a proper hockey game. To know how to skate, is a provided!
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    I understand the sentiments about certain people, but I don't think Ben really blames the user all that much. I think Ben is the only reason there's even people on these forums. Ben alone has probably made me change my mind about buying the game.

However I still really wish they changed the direction of the game.
  • I probably won't be buying next year's game ,my opinion it'll probably be the same if not worse and if they add that lacrosse goal no way , it'll just be another exploit the the elite will abuse
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited May 26

2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

Yeah, but they are "aware" like this last 9 years and I'm still waiting when it finally starts to show on the product itself (positively).

What really makes me scratch my head is how they actually make the game even worse in some of those important areas, with or without Ben.

I just don't understand it.

But hey, look at the Naughty dog and the Last of us 2 fiasco, it's like they living and working in some kind of bubble with their own agendas and feedback sources.

Who knows what's happening in these big companies behind the scenes.
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member

2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

Yeah, but they are "aware" like this last 9 years and I'm still waiting when it finally starts to show on the product itself (positively).

What really makes me scratch my head is how they actually make the game even worse in some of those important areas, with or without Ben.

But hey, look at the Naughty dog and the Last of us 2 fiasco, it's like they living and working in some kind of bubble with their own agendas and feedback sources.

Yeah I hear you and understand how you feel.

If I would have to guess, I think it has something to do with the technical part that’s always take hugh steps forward. It was more easy to build hockey games back in the days, side effect: it wasnt nearly as advanced like it is today, when everything works(like it often dont) its amazing how close the real world we get, only by gaming. But before that, there wasnt really something that could go wrong. Not as highly advanced like it is today.

Just by adding this new skating engine to the game, must have mean 10 step back, until we catch up and take 20 step forward. If we should be a part of this new revolutionized technology, we need to be abit more forgiving.
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member
    edited May 26
    *If EA can come up to a effective way of 'punish/school '(without doing to much of the gameplay) all the people that only se there skates(left d-pad on the controller) as if it was a Half circel(180°), from the middel and up and not can be used as a circel 360°, by giving this 'only one way guys' Clear instructions, "that behavior aint gonna work", in the meaning they go on a terrible body check or get really over played. Then maybe this will work.

I even try to 'hint' in some of my games to my opponent, dont do that, it just make things worst. In some way, school hockey. But its hard, often were we get to that part were booth our AI:s is perfectly fine and its about to get intresting. They let the controller down. I reeally dont get that, aaand its a human error, no doubt.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

2. Get a new dev team

That's a start atleast.

9 years with almost the same issue it's incredible how a lot of them still exist ,and as for ND lol well ,that was already for seen when the DLC came out and with some of the. Voice actors they hired for part 2 saying certain things about straight males and the icing on the cake was Anita Sarkeesian being brought on as an advisor ,from what I read ,but it has been very funny and interesting seeing some of the memes
  • EA_Blueberry
    2898 posts EA Community Manager

I personally didn’t even know about these forums until NHL 15 because that’s when I started googling stuff like “NHL is terrible” which led me here. Now this game isn’t terrible and neither were 19 and 18,

giphy.gif

Awww, you're making us blush over here. <3

@johnny2fingaz

Will pass along your thoughts on more puck battles to the team.
  • You do realize that the net battles are being used to create pick plays which in hockey it's called interference ,players have sent in clips ,but doesn't really matter clips or no clips it's interference
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 27

I personally didn’t even know about these forums until NHL 15 because that’s when I started googling stuff like “NHL is terrible” which led me here. Now this game isn’t terrible and neither were 19 and 18,

giphy.gif

@johnny2fingaz

I’m really not sure how you guys aren’t seeing things like for example the ai players just having to graze your player and to take the puck away. Or that there is no game in 6s that you will ever find online or anywhere where at least 10 instances of 3 passes or more take place in the offensive zone before that play ends. But replies like this pretty much tell me what I need to know.

• I personally didn’t even know about these forums until NHL 15 because that’s when I started googling stuff like “NHL is terrible” which led me here. Now this game isn’t terrible and neither were 19 and 18,

giphy.gif

@johnny2fingaz

I’m really not sure how you guys aren’t seeing things like for example the ai players just having to graze your player and to take the puck away. Or that there is no game in 6s that you will ever find online or anywhere where at least 10 instances of 3 passes or more take place in the offensive zone before that play ends. But replies like this pretty much tell me what I need to know.

The incidental contact is a joke
  • EA_Aljo
    1492 posts EA Community Manager
    edited May 27

giphy.gif

@johnny2fingaz

In my 6s games, more than 3 passes in the offensive zone are very regular. I play with a team that likes to work the puck around and generate scoring chances. Most of our opponents do the same. I've also played with teams that don't do this. The option is there for good passing plays, but many teams would rather force one timers through the slot. As a defender, almost nothing is more frustrating than constantly watching your forwards force the same couple of plays over and over again with the entire defense collapsing and your D are wide open at the points.

If teams either aren't skilled enough to recognize those opportunities or they don't have the skill to work together, you're probably not going to see much creativity with moving the puck and setting up more authentic hockey plays. The ability is there, it's up to people to use it.
  • Sega82mega
    1309 posts Member
    Great said Aljo, and if I may.. The trick is to slow down. Try to use all your players on the ice. Up and down and side to side, in the process when you trying to find a good attacking line in to hes zone. Maybe delete the part in your brain which says "I-must-score-now(!!) at the same time reff dropp the puck. If you wanna play that way you talkin about you need to change behavior on the ice.
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    I played HUT rivals last night for the first time in a week and I gotta say its comical. Every player is way overrated, and the ping pong, cross crease super fast play is no longer enjoyable.
    I outshot my opponent 17-2 in the 3rd period. I scored 2. He scored 2...2 shots 2 goals. Both the exact same play. Skates down on his BACKHAND which we were told that the goalie would be more inclined to save a onetime because he is expecting a pass when it's on the players backhand., but anyway, the pass goes through 5 players, my goalie barely moves, and it's in the back of the net....doesnt matter what you do. The pass gets through 99% of the time. And it goes in 99% of the time. ...as I've said before, I play a lot better than my opponents do most of the time., i think I'm a pretty good player., but my opponent isnt playing me. Hes playing against the GAME. And you cant stop that. Nobody can.