EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    1458 posts EA Community Manager
    bryta47 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    How would you all feel about a practice or free skate mode for Clubs where you can practice strategies without having to worry about an opposing defense, do you think that would help improve the cycling of the puck and promote other types of strategies?

One thing I really love about FIFA are the skill games within a dedicated section of the game and during loading screens. If you haven't played FIFA, there are games you can play to test your skills in certain areas like passing, dribbling the ball, etc. They are time based. Like this video below:

You should already know the answer. In case you don't just search "club practice"... ;)

Or check the latest message in Nhl21 wishlist written yesterday.

Yeah, this is something that has been requested for ever - but people get tired of asking the same thing year after year, since apparently our wishes fall to dead ears.

It's not that these requests fall on deaf ears at all. The dev team is well aware of the requests for a practice mode, but it hasn't been included yet as feedback from the community in other areas was requested more. There's only so much time to develop the game each year so they have to be careful about what gets worked on and what needs to be saved for the future. Nobody is purposely being ignored.

If you are "well aware" of a practice mode being requested, why are you then asking if people are interested in one?

Because that's kind of the definition for a request falling on deaf ears.

It's always good to get as much feedback as possible on what the community wants. This way, should it become a feature, there's more for the dev team to consider.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited June 4
    How would you all feel about a practice or free skate mode for Clubs where you can practice strategies without having to worry about an opposing defense, do you think that would help improve the cycling of the puck and promote other types of strategies?

One thing I really love about FIFA are the skill games within a dedicated section of the game and during loading screens. If you haven't played FIFA, there are games you can play to test your skills in certain areas like passing, dribbling the ball, etc. They are time based. Like this video below:

You should already know the answer. In case you don't just search "club practice"... ;)

Yeah, this is something that has been requested for ever - but people get tired of asking the same thing year after year, since apparently our wishes fall to dead ears.

It's not that these requests fall on deaf ears at all. The dev team is well aware of the requests for a practice mode, but it hasn't been included yet as feedback from the community in other areas was requested more. There's only so much time to develop the game each year so they have to be careful about what gets worked on and what needs to be saved for the future. Nobody is purposely being ignored.

If you are "well aware" of a practice mode being requested, why are you then asking if people are interested in one?

It's always good to get as much feedback as possible on what the community wants. This way, should it become a feature, there's more for the dev team to consider.

To add to this, there are also different roles on the team. I am fairly confident that there aren't many feature requests or gripes about the product that I am unware of. However, there are roles on these forums where it isn't an expectation for everyone to know things to that level, especially if they are newer to the team and don't have the history.

But fresh eyes are also a good thing. A lot of the new initiatives on these forums have led to a lot of great constructive topics and conversations.

So I understand the perspective and actually had a feeling that some would take it and respond that way when I saw the post go up -- but it is unfortunate that we need to be sensitive to it that way -- I would suggest that rather than looking at things from the negative angle and trying to find ways in which 'EA' doesn't get it (and this really applies to anything on these boards). Look at it from the positive angle, that all of us want to make a great experience and that it is just another opportunity to talk about what you want from that experience.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »

To add to this, there are also different roles on the team. I am fairly confident that there aren't many feature requests or gripes about the product that I am unware of. However, there are roles on these forums where it isn't an expectation for everyone to know things to that level, especially if they are newer to the team and don't have the history.

But fresh eyes are also a good thing. A lot of the new initiatives on these forums have led to a lot of great constructive topics and conversations.

So I understand the perspective and actually had a feeling that some would take it and respond that way when I saw the post go up -- but it is unfortunate that we need to be sensitive to it that way -- I would suggest that rather than looking at things from the negative angle and trying to find ways in which 'EA' doesn't get it (and this really applies to anything on these boards). Look at it from the positive angle, that all of us want to make a great experience and that it is just another opportunity to talk about what you want from that experience.

Well, it's not like club practice is some obscure niche request, but whatever. I know I'm too negative...

Ben, I'm not sure you've touched on this, but do you have any input regarding the A.I passing posted in this thread?

Can it be patched like that A.I defenseman-step-up thingy? Because it really, really should.
  • Sega82mega
    1239 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »

Great to hear, now back to work, NHL21 is coming, I hope.. on my bare knees.. :D
  • I wish pokes wouldn’t trip when I’m in front of my opponent or on his strong side skating besides him.

I wish opponents couldn’t purposefully trip on my DSS.

It’s way too sensitive.

I’m primarily a defenseman in EASHL. It’s extremely counterintuitive to think when a guy is creeping from behind the net and you’re guarding the post the best thing to do is just “stand there” cuz if you go for the hit you have a good chance of missing him and if you poke you have an even better chance of getting a penalty.

It just further proof that when a guy is moving slow close range face to face - the advantage goes towards the puck carrier.

They being said - I still use poke often and catch many opponents off guard but I feel i could be using it far more.
  • EA_Aljo
    1458 posts EA Community Manager
    I wish pokes wouldn’t trip when I’m in front of my opponent or on his strong side skating besides him.

It’s way too sensitive.

I’m primarily a defenseman in EASHL. It’s extremely counterintuitive to think when a guy is creeping from behind the net and you’re guarding the post the best thing to do is just “stand there” cuz if you go for the hit you have a good chance of missing him and if you poke you have an even better chance of getting a penalty.

It just further proof that when a guy is moving slow close range face to face - the advantage goes towards the puck carrier.

They being said - I still use poke often and catch many opponents off guard but I feel i could be using it far more.

I know what you mean about stopping the carrier coming around the net. Those wraps can be deadly. Especially against a human goalie. You have to recognize their positioning and where the puck is to know if you should poke or not. If I recognize they have time to get around the net, I'll go for the poke. If I know I can beat stop them before they get around the back, I'll go for a hit. I get how there's a risk involved with poking, but you also need to recognize the carrier's positioning and make the right defensive decision.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I wish pokes wouldn’t trip when I’m in front of my opponent or on his strong side skating besides him.

It’s way too sensitive.

I know what you mean about stopping the carrier coming around the net. Those wraps can be deadly. Especially against a human goalie. You have to recognize their positioning and where the puck is to know if you should poke or not. If I recognize they have time to get around the net, I'll go for the poke. If I know I can beat stop them before they get around the back, I'll go for a hit. I get how there's a risk involved with poking, but you also need to recognize the carrier's positioning and make the right defensive decision.

You’re preaching to the choir brother!

There’s a time and a place but there’s also a time to stand still that I find works best for my build.r 6’1” 214lbs TWD - with defensive minded to help snagging passes.

I’ve found it’s usually easy to defend them behind the net but I learned that “standing there” in majority of case works best
  • Sega82mega
    1239 posts Member
    If you go down on one knee it often opens up. Atleast they start moving. I aint chasing you behind the net to give up that position.
  • @NHLDev i dunno if you’ve seen the video or not but a pro player and youtuber/game changer made the suggestion about caping attributes in nhl for HUT. So one of their examples was just with speed so Conor mcdavid is the fastest player in the game so let’s say next year he starts with a 91 speed which would mean he only has to go up 8 points to be at 99 speed therefore every player in hut could only go up 8 points as well and that would be as fast as they could get. Unless there was like a speed skating event or something.

I also think there should be an overall cap on every line for competitive modes like HUT champs and competitive seasons. Like for example say you 270 points for your first line 250, 2nd, 230 3rd 210 4th so like your first line could either have 3 90’s and be balanced or you could go 1 99 and players a little worse something to get out of this 99 everything garbage that we’re currently doing. Then for like online seasons and other non-competitive modes you could have your 99 squad

Do you think something like this could happen for next year or are we stuck with the same old every player gets 99 everything?
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    @NHLDev i dunno if you’ve seen the video or not but a pro player and youtuber/game changer made the suggestion about caping attributes in nhl for HUT. So one of their examples was just with speed so Conor mcdavid is the fastest player in the game so let’s say next year he starts with a 91 speed which would mean he only has to go up 8 points to be at 99 speed therefore every player in hut could only go up 8 points as well and that would be as fast as they could get. Unless there was like a speed skating event or something.

I also think there should be an overall cap on every line for competitive modes like HUT champs and competitive seasons. Like for example say you 270 points for your first line 250, 2nd, 230 3rd 210 4th so like your first line could either have 3 90’s and be balanced or you could go 1 99 and players a little worse something to get out of this 99 everything garbage that we’re currently doing. Then for like online seasons and other non-competitive modes you could have your 99 squad

Do you think something like this could happen for next year or are we stuck with the same old every player gets 99 everything?

I know the HUT team always does retrospectives and look for ways they can improve the experience.

From the pure gameplay balance and depth side, I have spoken to them about a few things but they are the experts when it comes to a mode like that.

Funny enough, that relative attribute concept that Sleeves and Keso proposed was an idea that I had actually proposed to them. It is what I said that I would do if we did have to increase attributes over the course of the season but wanted to retain the depth of versus and the strengths and weaknesses of the players relative to each other.
  • @NHLDev i think that it would be a good way to fix the player balance right now because to have every player having 99 everything just doesn’t feel realistic which I think would improve the gameplay a lot
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    @NHLDev i dunno if you’ve seen the video or not but a pro player and youtuber/game changer made the suggestion about caping attributes in nhl for HUT. So one of their examples was just with speed so Conor mcdavid is the fastest player in the game so let’s say next year he starts with a 91 speed which would mean he only has to go up 8 points to be at 99 speed therefore every player in hut could only go up 8 points as well and that would be as fast as they could get. Unless there was like a speed skating event or something.

Sounds good but then the purpose of the mode (making money for ea) would lose. Pump out 99s and everybody has to put in the cash to match up. If you can get by with 80's, you're not likely to pump out your mom's credit card.
  • RSall14
    566 posts Member
    Bring back the salary cap.
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    This would completely change the dynamic of the game of they did that. 99 everything is just so ridiculous. McDavid 97 overall with 97 speed? Absolutely, hes the most explosive player in the NHL. He has every right to have that kind of attribute. But all the other 99's out their? Not so much. The game needs a lot more balance in HUT. Fixing this issue would be a HUGE step in the right direction. I Love HUT.however recently it's been unplayable due to the inflation of players and the lack of realism....and to add to the 99 overall card dilemma, nobody should have more than a 93 maybe 94 overall rating. It's just not realistic. McDavid is on his own planet, sure u have great players, Mathews, ovie, panarin, draisaitl, marchand, pasta,..I'm sure i missed a couple in the top 10 scoring, but those are the only ones that should have stats close to McDavid. Carlsson, quinn Hughes, guys like that on defense. I get that all NHL players have skill, because they wouldn't be in the NHL if they didnt, but shouldn't we be rating these players based on their skill? A defensive defensemen should have higher defense rating than a forward. A sniper should have better shooting accuracy than most defensemen. A power forward should be more physical than a 99 wayne gretzky...I dont care if he was rated 199. He shouldn't be knocking people all over the ice. I mean come on guys. What are we doing here ? I'm pretty sure wayne gretzky never put a check on anyone in his life. Lol.
    Rant over. Hope I made some sense.
    Thanks. Let's go Rangers!!
  • Davanial
    186 posts Member
    If EA were going to do anything with the attribute system, step one should be a complete break down and restructuring.

Keso's idea is a band aid on a bruise, nothing more.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    Davanial wrote: »
    If EA were going to do anything with the attribute system, step one should be a complete break down and restructuring.

How would you rework it personally?
  • Juppo1996
    201 posts Member
    edited June 7
    @NHLDev The question is though... Why haven’t you guys done anything about the balance regarding size and speed?

I’ve chatted with you about this before and I left with the impression that we agreed that the gameplay is far better with regular rosters.

Can’t you try to patch the HUT gameplay at least for this year? I mean like adding a speed/agility nerf that correlates with size. It’s probably not a good long term solution but at least you’d see how the community responds and it should make the few months this game has left a bit more enjoyable.

I might underestimate how big of a process it is to add a patch like that but on the other hand I really don’t see any risk for at least trying something.
  • Juppo1996
    201 posts Member

Kinda jumping to the middle here (sorry about that) but IMO a decent solution would be to ditch attributes like puck control and O/D awareness. Just give the better players a larger deke arsenal FIFA style. i.e. McDavid can do all the dekes available in the game while an enforcer type player could only do sidesteps.

For the skating attributes I like the idea that there would only be like a 10 point range for upgrades for every player.

Overall I don’t think the problem is the attribute system itself but rather just the way HUT works. Online versus is completely fine.
  • I know this this would never happen, but I think it would be cool if HUT players got better the more you use them. If they perform well, they get better just a little bit faster. Could also develop chemistry with line mate the longer they play together. Maybe that could influence offensive awareness for forwards, defensive awareness for defensemen and passing as well. Each player would have their own strengths and weaknesses, elite players would have a specialization to set them apart.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    Juppo1996 wrote: »

Kinda jumping to the middle here (sorry about that) but IMO a decent solution would be to ditch attributes like puck control and O/D awareness. Just give the better players a larger deke arsenal FIFA style. i.e. McDavid can do all the dekes available in the game while an enforcer type player could only do sidesteps.

For the skating attributes I like the idea that there would only be like a 10 point range for upgrades for every player.

Overall I don’t think the problem is the attribute system itself but rather just the way HUT works. Online versus is completely fine.

I could dig that.