EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Sick and tired of checking not working as it should.

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    1468 posts EA Community Manager
    If you can post some video of your issues, I'll review them. Griefing is most definitely frustrating. It drives me crazy that people have a 'win at all costs' mentality. I doubt we'll ever remove every way for someone to grief, but we want to minimize those opportunities as much as possible.
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    The problem isnt you and y oh our checking ability. It's the over inflated players. You can't stop them...99 everything. 99speed. 99endurance. 99agility. Etc.etc. its ridiculous. Like I've said 1000 times. If FATIGUE actually played a factor, the games would be a lot different.when u have all these overrated players, you have no fatigue.
    Plain and simple.
  • smyth9779 wrote: »
    The problem isnt you and y oh our checking ability. It's the over inflated players. You can't stop them...99 everything. 99speed. 99endurance. 99agility. Etc.etc. its ridiculous. Like I've said 1000 times. If FATIGUE actually played a factor, the games would be a lot different.when u have all these overrated players, you have no fatigue.
    Plain and simple.

Okay, so what is the point in ratings if they serve no purpose or are redundant?
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    edited June 3
    I don't know what the point is. Honestly. I just played a game of rivals and the guys first line was on the ice for 7minutes!!!! 7 minute shifts. Nobody was tired. All 99 players. Its dumb
  • Fatigue does affect the gameplay. A 99 player will surely be better than the lower players. I personally set up my strategies so that my players play until they have no more energy (are in the red), most people do the opposite. It depends on how aggressive you play and if speed is really important to your play style. I play passively, control my stamina pretty well and don’t count on speed to score, so it doesn’t matter what I put it on, I just don’t like when they change to often. That being said, they get tired anyway. I don’t have a player under 96 on my team and they still get tired pretty fast. You can maybe do one or two more acceleration than with lower overall players, but they can’t play for 7 minutes without losing a lot of stamina. Again we don’t have a video to point you what happens, but I am sure that they were not full energy (not even close) after seven minutes.

Some people (including YouTubers/Elite) have talk about the problems of having all 99 stats to EA, they might change it next year, we will have to wait and see. It would make more sense to cap some of the stats so that you keep the player play style (SNP, TWF, etc). It would give us a reason to use some players if they had special skills that others don’t have.
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    edited June 3
    @boumbidiboum yes. I'm sure they are tired, but what I'm saying is you barely notice a difference. It's not that noticeable and it definitely doesnt affect how the player performs. That's for sure. All I'm saying is if a player is on the ice for more than 1:30 let's say, he should be noticeably tired, unless of course there are s bunch of stoppages But back and forth playing for 1:30 is gonna tire anyone out, even connor mcdavid. It's a game, not real life. I get that, but it's pretty clear we all want a more realistic game play.
    Just my humble opinion.
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited June 3
    smyth9779 wrote: »
    @boumbidiboum yes. I'm sure they are tired, but what I'm saying is you barely notice a difference. It's not that noticeable and it definitely doesnt affect how the player performs. That's for sure. All I'm saying is if a player is on the ice for more than 1:30 let's say, he should be noticeably tired, unless of course there are s bunch of stoppages But back and forth playing for 1:30 is gonna tire anyone out, even connor mcdavid. It's a game, not real life. I get that, but it's pretty clear we all want a more realistic game play.
    Just my humble opinion.

I think that the reason why it is that way, it is because of the time scaling. Since every the periods are 20 minutes but 4 in real time, if you would make it that players change every minute/minute and a half, they would change every 15-20 seconds. It would prevent you from doing breakout and many other stuffs, they would get on ice and skate to the puck only to then go back to the bench. Maybe they could scale it better.

Right now, I am pretty sure fatigue is using real time. Hence why, you can play for 7 minutes (in-game time), it is about 1min30 in real time.

Maybe it could affect it more, but the fatigue affect most of the other attributes. Since they are 99 also, they drop lower but not to zero. If your player is running in stamina, you will be more likely to miss a deke, miss a shot, etc... Again, I am not against improving the realism, just pointing why it does what it does.
    I don't know what the point is. Honestly. I just played a game of rivals and the guys first line was on the ice for 7minutes!!!! 7 minute shifts. Nobody was tired. All 99 players. Its dumb

You can see their line fatigue meter? I have basically no one under 98 on my forwards. I guarantee they lose stamina just as fast as your apparent average players. If I have a line out for 7 mins, they're entirely gassed, slow, and likely I'm about to get scored on.

You either have horrible lag, or use hyperbole in your explanation of every game.
    Just my humble opinion.

You'll change your tune the moment you get a God squad. You're speaking from inexperience with everything you say about 99 players/teams and it shows to anyone who actually has a team like that.
  • 6lbddyawv3lz.jpg
    dzu8endzdz6s.jpg

Annnnnnd again with the same. Dominate my opponent from start to finish with tons of grade A chances but no. I'm not aggressive and only take one penalty towards the end of the third period.

Yet I'm the one who loses like this.

Those 6 goals were made on only 9 shots. My goalie just happened to conveniently save the next 3.

My opponent's team were a couple 99s and the rest were high 80s. His players were out skating mine and I couldn't get him off the puck no matter what approach I made when checking. He would immediately get the puck back.
  • gplv82mb7s2b.jpg

Another one. This time I tried to be conservative on my shots and focus more on defense.

Still beat my opponent in every aspect of the game.

This string of games cannot be just "bad luck" when it constantly happens.
  • Who is your goalie? What kinds of goals is he giving up?
  • It is clear what’s happening, you are doing something wrong. What exactly? We can’t tell you without a video. If we look at the first video you posted here, it is your choice of action that seems to be wrong. It also fits your game stats.

You are able to get out of your zone, keep possession of the puck and take shots. You also don’t take much penalties and manage to kill them when you get one. On the other end though, you seem to struggle on power plays (you don’t get many goals) which doesn’t help for sure and you probably don’t shot at the right moment, position and direction for the puck to go in. It can be a matter of inches for it to go in or not. Some people are really good at knowing and executing the perfect shots, that’s why they don’t shoot much and still get a good amount of goals. That can be costly though, since you don’t have much shots on net, you have less chances of having a lucky bounce that result in a goal. Playing like you do is a good way to get those chances (lucky bounces), but doesn’t guarantee a success, since you can also loose the puck to your opponent and give him a breakout chance.

Another reason that is part of your problem and probably most of it, would be that you don’t perform the best defensive move on some occasions. Sometimes (in your first video), you went for a hit when it would have been better to poke, stick lift or even do nothing. Some other times, it was the other way around. It is hard to tell you what to do and when to do it, it is a choice that you need to make in the moment and if you chose wrong it can be very costly against good players. One hint that I can tell you is that most of the times, it is better to just block passing/skating lanes using your player and his stick (with DSS). You keep it safe and make sure that you keep them near the boards. You wait until they make a mistake and be ready to take the puck then. Force them to play like you want, not the other way around. Like I said previously, defensive techniques are less effective than offensive techniques. So be patient, keep them from having good opportunities and be sure to take the one that they give you.

The game isn’t perfect, but it is not random why you loose. You just need to be objective about what happened and correct it so you don’t get the same problem later.
  • @Z0mbieBabyJesus contrary to your opinion, I have a good team. I have a 95 overall team with 98off and 97 defense with 92 goalie.. I play maybe 5 hours a week. I dont have a terrible lag, and I know what I'm seeing when I'm playing. Nobody on the other team gets tired because they have 99 everything., like I've said before, in sure they are fatigued to a degree but it is not enough fatigue that it shows in how they play. Still zipping up and down the ice. Still cant check them. Still cant take the puck away, still cant do anything. I barely play HUT anymore so I can care less about getting a "good team" . The reason I barely play HUT is because of the ridiculous over inflated players that make it feel completely unrealistic.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »
    6lbddyawv3lz.jpg
    dzu8endzdz6s.jpg

Annnnnnd again with the same. Dominate my opponent from start to finish with tons of grade A chances but no. I'm not aggressive and only take one penalty towards the end of the third period.

Yet I'm the one who loses like this.

Those 6 goals were made on only 9 shots. My goalie just happened to conveniently save the next 3.

My opponent's team were a couple 99s and the rest were high 80s. His players were out skating mine and I couldn't get him off the puck no matter what approach I made when checking. He would immediately get the puck back.

Yea. Happens to me all the time too. I'm sure you will soon get people saying its YOU not the game. Been their done that. Outshot my opponent 62-12 once. Lost the game 7-6. I completely dominated in every category. He just scored the same garbage goals 6 times. Spin in the corner. Skate to the front and top corner, or spin in the corner cross crease pass to a wide open guy, my goalie never moves and in the back of the net it goes. It's a joke. Play Versus mode. You will feel much better after. No puck ragging, over inflated teams. It's pretty fun.
  • It is clear what’s happening, you are doing something wrong. What exactly? We can’t tell you without a video. If we look at the first video you posted here, it is your choice of action that seems to be wrong. It also fits your game stats.

You are able to get out of your zone, keep possession of the puck and take shots. You also don’t take much penalties and manage to kill them when you get one. On the other end though, you seem to struggle on power plays (you don’t get many goals) which doesn’t help for sure and you probably don’t shot at the right moment, position and direction for the puck to go in. It can be a matter of inches for it to go in or not. Some people are really good at knowing and executing the perfect shots, that’s why they don’t shoot much and still get a good amount of goals. That can be costly though, since you don’t have much shots on net, you have less chances of having a lucky bounce that result in a goal. Playing like you do is a good way to get those chances (lucky bounces), but doesn’t guarantee a success, since you can also loose the puck to your opponent and give him a breakout chance.

Another reason that is part of your problem and probably most of it, would be that you don’t perform the best defensive move on some occasions. Sometimes (in your first video), you went for a hit when it would have been better to poke, stick lift or even do nothing. Some other times, it was the other way around. It is hard to tell you what to do and when to do it, it is a choice that you need to make in the moment and if you chose wrong it can be very costly against good players. One hint that I can tell you is that most of the times, it is better to just block passing/skating lanes using your player and his stick (with DSS). You keep it safe and make sure that you keep them near the boards. You wait until they make a mistake and be ready to take the puck then. Force them to play like you want, not the other way around. Like I said previously, defensive techniques are less effective than offensive techniques. So be patient, keep them from having good opportunities and be sure to take the one that they give you.

The game isn’t perfect, but it is not random why you loose. You just need to be objective about what happened and correct it so you don’t get the same problem later.

I am very selective when I shoot. I don't just take a shot for the sake of it. I cycle the puck, wait for my opponent to make a defensive mistake, and shoot when I am confident it will go in. Hence me having a usual high time on attack each game.

I do get goals on the power play but most often than not I end up running into someone who spams poke check constantly when I do have scoring opportunities. Those are the instances of which I can't seem to score because they are using their penalty kill as an exploit to avoid getting scored on because those goals turn into penalties.
    There are games at which I play and my opponent results in 5+ penalties because I would have scored on those 5+ times.

I have already displayed multiple examples of different strategies and there is the same result. It's not about the actual losses. It's about WHY and most of the time it's a player using exploits to avoid getting knocked or checked off the puck.
    Playing passive defense and only blocking shots only goes so far.

If the tools EA has given us players to use to defend do not work. There is no point in trying to argue the player is doing it wrong. It doesn't matter how my opponent scores when the defensive mechanics of the game fail to achieve what they were put in the game for.

Do you get that?

I have been a consistent division 1 player for years and have played hut champions against top 50 players regularly. Pretty sure I can admit when I make a mistake. My main complaint is the unrealistic expectations that EA has set up to say that they have fixed Goalie puck tracking and defending. When it clearly is exactly the same as the last 5 years. Putting in a few new animations does not fix anything.
    @Z0mbieBabyJesus contrary to your opinion, I have a good team. I have a 95 overall team with 98off and 97 defense with 92 goalie.. I play maybe 5 hours a week. I dont have a terrible lag, and I know what I'm seeing when I'm playing. Nobody on the other team gets tired because they have 99 everything., like I've said before, in sure they are fatigued to a degree but it is not enough fatigue that it shows in how they play. Still zipping up and down the ice. Still cant check them. Still cant take the puck away, still cant do anything. I barely play HUT anymore so I can care less about getting a "good team" . The reason I barely play HUT is because of the ridiculous over inflated players that make it feel completely unrealistic.

I don't have a forward under 98, and my only dman that isn't 99 is my 98 Carlson and 97 Larry Robinson

I change lines often as fatigue is noticeable on both offense and defense. If you disagree, that's fine, but you're still wrong.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1112 posts Member
    edited June 9
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    gplv82mb7s2b.jpg

Another one. This time I tried to be conservative on my shots and focus more on defense.

You're right. After that many games it's no longer a matter of luck, but a lack of skill.

I should clarify a lack of skill in actually capitalizing on your chances. You're clearly off in your timing or something like that.
    Post edited by Z0mbieBabyJesus on
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »
    gplv82mb7s2b.jpg

You're right. After that many games it's no longer a matter of luck, but a lack of skill.

I should clarify a lack of skill in actually capitalizing on your chances. You're clearly off in your timing or something like that.

Thanks for the backhanded reply. Really supportive.

"You lost so it must be something that you've done wrong"

How many times do I have to mention that is not the point of this post? Have you been reading any of it, at all?

I can take a loss and see where I went wrong 90% of the time. I don't post EVERY game I play in here.

"You're clearly off on your timing"

Maybe? The majority of games I play win or lose I have the most time on attack. I wait for the right time to have quality scoring chances. I don't just shoot for the sake of shooting to hope it goes in. Again, if you read what I've posted in previous replies.

I am pointing out aspects of the game that have been supposedly fixed but haven't been fixed for the past 5 years. People complained about players spamming poke check. EA's response was implementing more penalties for tripping. Yet that doesn't solve the problem of players who now spam stick lift. People wanted their goalies to save glitch shots. EA added new animations to add more fluid movement. That's nice and all but it doesn't change the fact that the animations are static. When a goalie commits to make a save, the animation can have a negative effect. Especially when it's a soft rebound save or the goalie dropping and staying in position for too long.

No game comes with it's flaws but EA has had year after year to come up with a solution to many issues. It shouldn't take 5 years to do so when the majority of games that drop on each generation of console are literal roster updates. Adding guest commentators, aesthetic changes, and new goal cellys are not improvements.