EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Sick and tired of checking not working as it should.

124Next

Replies

• SturmWolfe
    134 posts Member
    edited June 10
    csss8am8zto4.jpg
    foh1mm7j3a2p.jpg
    n3nceaukwwqo.jpg

Here's another wonderful example of how broken this game is as well. Dominating the game again, then out of nowhere in the third period, it goes sideways. I change my strategy to match my opponent's to no avail. While I am checking the puck carrier my team mates are no where to be found to stay in their man.

My team mates just literally stop skating or skate the opposite direction.

How am I supposed to switch and defend effectively if my players are out of position when they were playing just fine in the first 2 periods?
    Like I said before. I adjusted my strategy to match my opponent and STILL they were doing NOTHING.
    [Socair - edited for symbol use as profanity]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »
    csss8am8zto4.jpg
    foh1mm7j3a2p.jpg
    n3nceaukwwqo.jpg

Here's another wonderful example of how broken this game is as well. Dominating the game again, then out of nowhere in the third period, it goes sideways. I change my strategy to match my opponent's to no avail. While I am checking the puck carrier my team mates are no where to be found to stay in their man.

How am I supposed to switch and defend effectively if my players are out of position when they were playing just fine in the first 2 periods?
    Like I said before. I adjusted my strategy to match my opponent and STILL they were doing NOTHING.

I've been on both ends of this. For 2 periods one team has an advantage, then in third the advantage either goes away or switches. I try not get bother by it. I just pretend one team got a real good pep talk from the coach and got inspired.
    csss8am8zto4.jpg
    foh1mm7j3a2p.jpg
    n3nceaukwwqo.jpg

Just posting screenshots of the end results and stats won’t help EA to fix your issue if there’s one. If you want them to be able to fix a bug or else, you need to pin point precisely what happens in details or give them a video. It doesn’t guarantee that they will fix it, but how do you want them to know what’s wrong if they can’t even replicate it to know which part of the code is messed up (if it is the code).

It is like entering in a restaurant and saying your restaurant is bad. They don’t know which part(s) and why. You can’t fix something that you don’t know about. You need to provide them with more information than that. If you go in and say “Your fries are too salty”, then they could do something about it. They know that your unsatisfied because the fries are too salty. They can refuse to change it, but at least they know what and why. If they don’t change it, then it is on them.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion.
  • 2x69dqmf5d7f.jpg

Since the majority of replies love to deflect every attempt I try to "change" my game style to reflect criticism. I went out of my way to get as many goals as possible without taking that many shots because said replies "implied" my shot accuracy or timing was off.

Here's another example to prove them wrong.

5 goals on only 9 shots. With very limited TOA as well.

The rest was more or less the same. My opponent's players were puck magnets. Every time I checked them off the puck it conveniently bounced back to their stick blade or their team mates.

I can't help but notice the amount of times I checked my opponent only to see the start of the stick lift animation and the puck back on their blade. Either my opponent is holding the A button (stick lift for xbox) or pressing it constantly.
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited June 24
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    2x69dqmf5d7f.jpg

Since the majority of replies love to deflect every attempt I try to "change" my game style to reflect criticism. I went out of my way to get as many goals as possible without taking that many shots because said replies "implied" my shot accuracy or timing was off.

The rest was more or less the same. My opponent's players were puck magnets. Every time I checked them off the puck it conveniently bounced back to their stick blade or their team mates.

I can't help but notice the amount of times I checked my opponent only to see the start of the stick lift animation and the puck back on their blade. Either my opponent is holding the A button (stick lift for xbox) or pressing it constantly.

I am pretty sure that I told you that already, but it seems to be a matter of how you defend. You can score, you almost always get 4-5 goals. The thing is that, you let in more goals than you can score. Defensive tools are not easy to master and you clearly struggle with them (in almost all your screen shots you get scored 5-6 goals), and when you seem to play better defensively, you struggle on offence. I don’t say that you don’t know how to play, just that you probably don’t use the appropriate tool for the appropriate situation. Some of the real hockey moves are not as effective in the game than in real life. It is not about learning how to play hockey, but how to play the video game. What is the best move for every situation.

With all the high overall players and the many ways to avoid getting hit/poke/stick lift on offence, you need to play more carefully than you would in real life and make sure that you don’t put yourself out of position just to try to poke/hit/stick lift other players. You need to block the most obvious plays and wait for them to make a mistake. That’s pretty much it.

It can also be that you use the wrong type of goalies for you style of defence. Lately, I’ve been using 90 Carter Hart (Classic) and he is not my type of goaltender. Why? Because he is moving slowly, give a lot of rebounds and is slow in recovering from saves. That doesn’t fit how I play defence really well, but it is manageable. I just need to defend the one-timers more and get the rebounds as much as I can. Not that you shouldn’t normally, but those are his weaknesses so you need to be careful not to give your opponent an opportunity to use them against you. It is just a matter of knowing what they are and protecting these more. Same thing happens with offensive and defensive players, you need to consider their weaknesses to prevent your opponent from exploiting them.
    Post edited by boumbidiboum on
    2x69dqmf5d7f.jpg

I am pretty sure that I told you that already, but it seems to be a matter of how you defend. You can score, you almost always get 4-5 goals. The thing is that, you let in more goals than you can score. Defensive tools are not easy to master and you clearly struggle with them (in almost all your screen shots you get scored 5-6 goals), and when you seem to play better defensively, you struggle on offence. I don’t say that you don’t know how to play, just that you probably don’t use the appropriate tool for the appropriate situation. Some of the real hockey moves are not as effective in the game than in real life. It is not about learning how to play hockey, but how to play the video game. What is the best move for every situation.

With all the high overall players and the many ways to avoid getting hit/poke/stick lift on offence, you need to play more carefully than you would in real life and make sure that you don’t put yourself out of position just to try to poke/hit/stick lift other players. You need to block the most obvious plays and wait for them to make a mistake. That’s pretty much it.

It can also be that you use the wrong type of goalies for you style of defence. Lately, I’ve been using 90 Carter Hart (Classic) and he is not my type of goaltender. Why? Because he is moving slowly, give a lot of rebounds and is slow in recovering from saves. That doesn’t fit how I play defence really well, but it is manageable. I just need to defend the one-timers more and get the rebounds as much as I can. Not that you shouldn’t normally, but those are his weaknesses so you need to be careful not to give your opponent an opportunity to use them against you. It is just a matter of knowing what they are and protecting these more. Same thing happens with offensive and defensive players, you need to consider their weaknesses to prevent your opponent from exploiting them.

I appreciate your feedback but I am not worrying about wins. I'm playing Rivals and I can get diamond super easy anyways. I haven't been documenting any HC games I play.

I am just noting inconsistencies in game play mechanics that could be improved on. Most notably physics and how they are not very realistic at all in this game. The puck physics are very good but as far as player and stick contact. It's really hit or miss.

It's understandable there are limitations to what the developers have to work with. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the assumption NHL 20 was going to transition to the frostbite engine. I'm not blaming the devs but this year has shown no improvements over last year. If anything, it's taken a step backwards. Adding new animations has not fixed core issues with goalies. Goalies actually are much worse at tracking the puck and recovering from rebounds than last year.

Finally, if I am defending well enough. My goalie shouldn't be letting in 7-10 goals on only 15-20 shots per game. I am very confident in my defensive abilities. The above mentioned is just a byproduct of little flaws that were not actually fixed. That's my point.
  • e0mjmy553ckp.jpg
    1s1uh83j6kv8.jpg
    3cxpe0aszqcz.jpg

Here's another example. This time I won but still. 6 goals on only 11 shots? I don't blame my opponent for quitting.
  • https://m.mixer.com/NihilistWolfe/profile

I have recorded a ton of examples that EA should have time to look over if they're at all concerned with improving aspects of the game that are clearly broken.
    https://m.mixer.com/NihilistWolfe/profile

I have recorded a ton of examples that EA should have time to look over if they're at all concerned with improving aspects of the game that are clearly broken.

I’ve watched the first game on there and one thing that I noticed is that when you are playing defence, you tend to be trailing back (are late) and then you extend your stick to try to block/reach for the puck. On most of the goals against you, you could have stopped it if you you were slightly better positioned. Not that it doesn’t work (extending the stick), but it is way less effective and you should always try to stay positioned first and if you can’t, then you extend your stick as a last resort. Beside that, it seems fine. Your first goal was great and you got some good interceptions on defence.

In response to your message, you need to say what you think is wrong in the videos and point moments where it happens. Others might not see it and may not take the time to watch the whole game. There are places where they can improve the game, they just need to know where exactly and if it is because it is too difficult to control the players or because the code is broken.
  • 37lr7nnee8cb.jpg

zcbjhwlimm10.jpg

DDA exists whether or not EA will admit it.
    I beat my opponent in EVERYTHING. He couldn't even get out of his zone.

I threw everything. Hitting the post multiple times. One timers, short side wristers, screen shots from the point, behind the net, far side shots, etc. His goalie saved all the quality shots.

Even my opponent agrees I should have easily won that game.

I have pleaded with EA Sports much like COUNTLESS other players to fix this franchise.
    You CLAIM to have fixed goalie puck tracking. Instead, you just added new "animations" that did nothing in regards to actual change in how goalies make saves. It's been the same game with slight changes for the past 5 years.

The defensive abilities are laughable when it's so easy to protect the puck. Gliding in a tiny little circle until your winger is open is not how actual hockey works. Very few players can play in a phone booth. A game shouldn't make your player a puck magnet. Checking your opponent is like a rock, paper, scissors match to see what's going to work. Yet, setting up several different defensive strategies to allow my defense to come help me remove a puck carrier has been pointless. No matter what I do. Nothing works.

Yet when I am doing the same. I get bombarded with 2-3 of my opponents compys checking me. While my opponent sits lazily.

Why is it I have to work 10 times harder than my opponent? That's not how it works.

Fix it.