EA Forums - Banner

This game is TRASH!!! Really?!?

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    4798 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Just watch out for hes Knuckle Pucks, it's deadly!

How comes the ducks Blueberry? Any history behind that.. :)

Hometown. Been going to their games since it was called The Arrowhead Pond. :)
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Cool! Then I understand, for me, cali is to little of a hockey 'place' for me to feel. But I like the movies when I was Young. And liked the logo of the duck in the mask. Of curse. But today with thoose orange replicas. Whaaat.. :);)

Hampus real good, and getz a killer!
  • fanofnothing86
    36 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    The main issue with EA sports NHL is that they dont fix any of the problems people have been complaining about. Boot up NHL 17 and aside from Roster differences and UI you are basically playing the same game. NHL is probably their lowest selling game, and everything EA does is money first, so this is what frustrates people.

I mean... they havent even made line changes smooth. Every time a character runs into the bench and bounces off and then runs into the bench and bounces off before eventually getting off the ice, I lose a little sanity.

EA knows you have no other choices if you want a hockey game. And its evident in the minimal effort they put into it. Look at be a pro... it couldn't be more bare bones. Play game, ask for a trade is basically the whole mode.

@EA_Aljo what are these big changes? Not even hating... I'm just curious what they are, because aside from card packs and 3 on 3 it sure doesn't feel like much of anything has changed in the last 5 years.

I'll give you guys Dynasty mode... that has actually improved. But gameplay wise... I can't think of anything substantial
  • EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    The main issue with EA sports NHL is that they dont fix any of the problems people have been complaining about. Boot up NHL 17 and aside from Roster differences and UI you are basically playing the same game. NHL is probably their lowest selling game, and everything EA does is money first, so this is what frustrates people.

I mean... they havent even made line changes smooth. Every time a character runs into the bench and bounces off and then runs into the bench and bounces off before eventually getting off the ice, I lose a little sanity.

EA knows you have no other choices if you want a hockey game. And its evident in the minimal effort they put into it. Look at be a pro... it couldn't be more bare bones. Play game, ask for a trade is basically the whole mode.

@EA_Aljo what are these big changes? Not even hating... I'm just curious what they are, because aside from card packs and 3 on 3 it sure doesn't feel like much of anything has changed in the last 5 years.

I'll give you guys Dynasty mode... that has actually improved. But gameplay wise... I can't think of anything substantial

There have been major changes to skating. TPS was replaced by RPM. That started with 19. Shooting had some very big improvements with 20 along with pickups. You're right that Be A Pro hasn't had much attention, but gameplay-wise, to say the game hasn't improved in the last 5 years is something we'll have to agree to disagree on as there have been numerous changes.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    After all, hockey is hockey, sometimes it feel like people expects it to be something else. When I hear complain about nothing changed. The ice is still white and the players look pretty much the same. But I cant honestly dont get it when people hate on nhl20. Have does people even tryed to play hockey, I get confused, maybe all of thoose years with a gameplay that were abit off has made people to forget how it suppose to work. In some of my games it can be a moment were booth me and my opponent is startin to get in the 'flow' (dont know if you know what I mean) But theres a particularly feeling, were it starts to feel like real hockey, even then, I experiencing that most people rather try to break that Flow and go back to a gameplay that can't be fun for anyone. Its about to find the balance, go with the flow, its like a dance, smooth sally. Dont go all nuts and try that turbo speed no one can handle, relax in your shoulders and mind and try to find your swag on the ice.

Okey I dont know what happen here, just wanted it to get of my chest.. :)
  • ke0niPD
    288 posts Member
    After all, hockey is hockey, sometimes it feel like people expects it to be something else. When I hear complain about nothing changed. The ice is still white and the players look pretty much the same. But I cant honestly dont get it when people hate on nhl20. Have does people even tryed to play hockey, I get confused, maybe all of thoose years with a gameplay that were abit off has made people to forget how it suppose to work. In some of my games it can be a moment were booth me and my opponent is startin to get in the 'flow' (dont know if you know what I mean) But theres a particularly feeling, were it starts to feel like real hockey, even then, I experiencing that most people rather try to break that Flow and go back to a gameplay that can't be fun for anyone. Its about to find the balance, go with the flow, its like a dance, smooth sally. Dont go all nuts and try that turbo speed no one can handle, relax in your shoulders and mind and try to find your swag on the ice.

Well I keep hating on the game because I can’t enjoy it when I’m constantly paying attention on all the glaring flaws. I have to consciously try to enjoy the game and ignore all the flaws if I want to play it. That sounds ridiculous and stupid but honestly if this was any other game than NHL I would’ve quit playing a long time ago.

When I boot up the game it goes like this most of the time. I’m usually feeling good to play some NHL and I start up HUT rivals. Within the first period I’m already getting angry at the AI because I keep having ’creative differences’ with it and then I start to get frustrated and bored because I keep scoring the same goals in every game over and over and can’t get any kicks out of it (seriously, I score the backhand, forehand, top cheese goal in basically every game. Sometimes multiple times). I feel like I’m losing brain cells everytime I have to wait and spin on the neutral zone because the AI is stuck offside. And mind you I might be winning the game 4-0 but I still feel like quitting the game.

Now when I’m bored and frustrated, I’m starting lose focus and start playing badly. Then my opponent gets lucky and gets a couple of deflections from his AI 99 Gretzky. After that I quit the game even though I’m still leading and declare that the game sucks and come over to check this forum to get some peer support.

The game isn’t all bad and it has some good things going for it. But if the good things are buried under a pile of broken mechanics, stupid AI behavior and balance issues that you get rewarded for abusing in competitive gameplay it doesn’t add up to a good gaming experience.
  • Juppo1996 wrote: »

Well I keep hating on the game because I can’t enjoy it when I’m constantly paying attention on all the glaring flaws. I have to consciously try to enjoy the game and ignore all the flaws if I want to play it. That sounds ridiculous and stupid but honestly if this was any other game than NHL I would’ve quit playing a long time ago.

When I boot up the game it goes like this most of the time. I’m usually feeling good to play some NHL and I start up HUT rivals. Within the first period I’m already getting angry at the AI because I keep having ’creative differences’ with it and then I start to get frustrated and bored because I keep scoring the same goals in every game over and over and can’t get any kicks out of it (seriously, I score the backhand, forehand, top cheese goal in basically every game. Sometimes multiple times). I feel like I’m losing brain cells everytime I have to wait and spin on the neutral zone because the AI is stuck offside. And mind you I might be winning the game 4-0 but I still feel like quitting the game.

Now when I’m bored and frustrated, I’m starting lose focus and start playing badly. Then my opponent gets lucky and gets a couple of deflections from his AI 99 Gretzky. After that I quit the game even though I’m still leading and declare that the game sucks and come over to check this forum to get some peer support.

The game isn’t all bad and it has some good things going for it. But if the good things are buried under a pile of broken mechanics, stupid AI behavior and balance issues that you get rewarded for abusing in competitive gameplay it doesn’t add up to a good gaming experience.

This is exactly why I gave up on playing sports games online. There’s just such a glaring difference between the prominent meta that leads to winning, and the real life strategies that lead to winning. And especially in this game, I just don’t find the game to be balanced from an offensive and defensive perspective, so it makes it even easier to stay away from the online portion of this game. Every time I try to play an online game just to ensure my opinions aren’t formed from distant experiences, I am constantly reminded why online in this game isn’t fun. Same meta goals, same twirl and spin strategy, same goalies who are inexplicably great at making some saves but can’t save a straight-on wrist shot from outside the tops of the circles. Offline, I’ve managed to build a great set with custom goalies where I see a ton of goal variation. Real hockey is rewarded, and execution needs to play perfect to score. This is a severely far cry from the online experience imo, and it’s really telling that I can’t even have fun winning a blowout, because of the way you have to win online.

I absolutely love hockey, and I love the strategies, the skill, the speed, the decision making, and the incredible vision that goes into winning real hockey games. Playing online, “vision” = what angle do I need to hold RS at or hold LT at to cancel a check in-order to give me a clear path to the net. Most goals, even at the most competitive of levels, require 1-3 passes to score. Vision is simply not rewarded nor needed in this game. Anyone that’s ever played hockey knows that vision is equally if not more important than your skill. If you can’t see a play forming 1-3 steps ahead, then you individual skill is rather useless on the real rink. In this game, twirling in the corner will eventually result in the backside AI defensemen just randomly skating into the corner or away from their mark. There’s no vision involved in opening that lane. It’s not a nice cycle or passing sequence, is literally spinning in the corner! Why does that open up a stationary player in the slot lol!?

And all these LG guys who have never played hockey keep asking for a meta that further rewards quick “twitch skill” over methodical passing and vision. Cranking up acceleration so that you can quickly attack any pass made ever does not promote more passing, especially when puck control is so high. Having pass interceptions cranked up in conjunction with ridiculous acceleration does not promote more passing. It promotes people playing zone and WANTING you to pass because it’s easier to knock someone in the middle of a pickup animation off the puck than it is to knock off a puck carrier slowly gliding who is feathering both LT And RS. This leads to 0-5 traps, 5-man collapses in the zone, and the offense running “plays” like its basketball to take advantage of problem areas for interceptions (below the goaline by the crease) to force passes through the human swarm.

To add to your last paragraph, that’s the WORST part of it! It’s incredibly frustrating to see the potential with all the tools at our disposal because with sliders, this game can be quite enjoyable offline for moments. If the AI didn’t do such a good job at killing my immersion every other puck possession or every PowerPlay, then I’d literally binge this game like no other (I still practically do lol)! We’re probably a super AI-focused year away from a truly great experience (offline at least) and we’re a slider vault/custom slider lobbies away from making online actually playable for people that want to play hockey, not figure skate and glitch. We’re so close to a great experience with how great of a foundation there is here in-terms of gameplay mechanics!! It’s the only reason I still post here! The work speaks for itself. The foundation is objectively great. The overall polish and putting everything together still needs fixing. If they were so far off, I woundnt bother posting/playing.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Juppo1996 wrote: »

I say alot of bad stuff its in the game becuse human brain is in there. It dosent have to be played that way. We hate to see this same move over and over again, either if its you that score or the opponent. But at the same time, becuse this is the only score we see, we never stop doing it. Its not the games fault.

I aggre, you shouldnt play that many games one after another, but a game here and there is good music. And if you get bored, and still winning often, as I read, then change up your game, try diffrent goals, shot from spots you usally dont. It will be a whole nother game.
  • smyth9779
    229 posts Member
    Hey @untouchable_BF1 not sure if you played online VS lately, but I honestly can say IT'S A LOT BETTER than HUT or any other online mode. I'm sure offline is still better because you can adjust sliders and all that, but I rarely play anything other than online VS now because after the GWC qualifiers, I was totally convinced HUT has nothing.to do with skill. So im turned off to all HUT games and CHEL. It's not hockey. It's not fun. All you gotta do it's skate around like a figure skater doing twirls and swirls....
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    Honestly, NHL is definitely the lowest earning sports title for EA; but someone said earlier...hockey is hockey.

Fifa has way more money and resources pumped into it and I can guarantee you, the guys who play that every year, will say the game feels the same still. Especially the hardcore guys.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Im sure the small EA hockey team is working hard for us, to give us that perfect game. Does it even exist? That one perfect game were everybody agree.
  • smyth9779 wrote: »
    Hey @untouchable_BF1 not sure if you played online VS lately, but I honestly can say IT'S A LOT BETTER than HUT or any other online mode. I'm sure offline is still better because you can adjust sliders and all that, but I rarely play anything other than online VS now because after the GWC qualifiers, I was totally convinced HUT has nothing.to do with skill. So im turned off to all HUT games and CHEL. It's not hockey. It's not fun. All you gotta do it's skate around like a figure skater doing twirls and swirls....

Yes, versus is better but I’ve found playing offline while adjusting both sliders and my opponents strategies has lead to the best NHL experience possible. Versus is naturally better because the stats of everyone aren’t inflated. I still think it misses the mark when it comes to goal variation and rewarding hockey plays, but it certainly is the undisputed best online mode available.
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Honestly, NHL is definitely the lowest earning sports title for EA; but someone said earlier...hockey is hockey.

Fifa has way more money and resources pumped into it and I can guarantee you, the guys who play that every year, will say the game feels the same still. Especially the hardcore guys.

Okay so why isn’t it $30 then? That’s all I’ll say about the “resources” part as that’s certainly not what’s holding the online meta of this game back.

As far as the “feels the same argument” goes, I’m not asking for a game to “feel” spectacularly different year to year. On the contrary, if the AI ever get a major overhaul, my sliders now combined with a better AI would play dang near perfect imo, so I wouldn’t want anything to “feel” drastically different from it. Online is a different story, but judging by the way the “competitive” 6s community wants their “basketball masquerading as a hockey product” gameplay, I’m certain I’ll never any positive change towards the “feel” of online games. To add to the FIFA point, the FIFAWC has like 9-8 scorelines last year so there’s no objective way you can say the game “feels” the same. They are constantly changing their meta for better or for worse, but at least it’s something. Can you honestly say NHL 20 “feels” different than 19 online? The meta is certainly the same. LT, LT, LT, RS, LT, RS, spin, spin, spin, pass, 1t...rinse and repeat. 6s: maybe add-in one or two more passes to run a little basketball play that exploits the problem area around the crease when it comes to pass interceptions, but it’s basically the same meta.

The only thing FIFA and NHL have different in regards to their rather poor dynamic AI who are OP at winning possession but lacking at play recognition, is that FIFA has an intuitive “custom tactics” option that allows the user to control what they want their AI teammates to do at a very granular level, and the teammates will actually adhere to those strategies at all times unlike NHL.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    If this game were to finally apply set tuners where we can download tuners from other people and play that way and look for games that way (let's face it, if LG had their own tuner set that was a sim hockey experience, everybody would be playing it) even if it is unranked, the game would have such a huge revitalization.

The game has the tools to alleviate 99% of the complaining us vocal individuals whine about, we just can't ever use it in an online setting. I 100% would love to play a game of VS with BF1's sliders, or play a game of 6s where being a one man show is gonna get you yelled at because it's not effective, etc.

There's two MAJOR things that needs to be implemented. Lobbies for matchmaking and online sliders.

And if a few sliders are really popular, allow people to search for them in a ranked environment. Heck, if a slider is good enough that everybody wants to play it because it's just like real hockey, then you can have that preset to the default slider. Or maybe every time you finish a game, you give a rating from 1-10 on how good the slider was, the highest rated slider stays the default one and the slider remains the default one for the entire month.
  • If this game were to finally apply set tuners where we can download tuners from other people and play that way and look for games that way (let's face it, if LG had their own tuner set that was a sim hockey experience, everybody would be playing it) even if it is unranked, the game would have such a huge revitalization.

The game has the tools to alleviate 99% of the complaining us vocal individuals whine about, we just can't ever use it in an online setting. I 100% would love to play a game of VS with BF1's sliders, or play a game of 6s where being a one man show is gonna get you yelled at because it's not effective, etc.

There's two MAJOR things that needs to be implemented. Lobbies for matchmaking and online sliders.

And if a few sliders are really popular, allow people to search for them in a ranked environment. Heck, if a slider is good enough that everybody wants to play it because it's just like real hockey, then you can have that preset to the default slider. Or maybe every time you finish a game, you give a rating from 1-10 on how good the slider was, the highest rated slider stays the default one and the slider remains the default one for the entire month.

100% agree and thanks for the plug lol! Not everyone will agree on meta, but certainly people wanting more realistic experiences are needing the ability to play those online. I’d imagine a lot of complaints would go away just by giving users the option. None of us “sim” guys will care enough about the game being ranked if the game experience is actually enjoyable.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    If this game were to finally apply set tuners where we can download tuners from other people and play that way and look for games that way (let's face it, if LG had their own tuner set that was a sim hockey experience, everybody would be playing it) even if it is unranked, the game would have such a huge revitalization.

100% agree and thanks for the plug lol! Not everyone will agree on meta, but certainly people wanting more realistic experiences are needing the ability to play those online. I’d imagine a lot of complaints would go away just by giving users the option. None of us “sim” guys will care enough about the game being ranked if the game experience is actually enjoyable.

Exactly. There isn't even really a point to playing drop ins or anything anyways. We don't have to grind for legend cards. It'd also give EA unbelievable feedback on the direction they should tune and cater to. If us sim guys are as they say, "a rare breed" where we are clear in the minority, obviously nobody is gonna want realistic sliders.

Another pro is now we can blame the maker of the slider instead of the developers for half of the stuff in the way the game plays. And the good news would be if we started to hate the direction they were taking their sliders, then we could always go to another slider creator.
  • If this game were to finally apply set tuners where we can download tuners from other people and play that way and look for games that way (let's face it, if LG had their own tuner set that was a sim hockey experience, everybody would be playing it) even if it is unranked, the game would have such a huge revitalization.

Exactly. There isn't even really a point to playing drop ins or anything anyways. We don't have to grind for legend cards. It'd also give EA unbelievable feedback on the direction they should tune and cater to. If us sim guys are as they say, "a rare breed" where we are clear in the minority, obviously nobody is gonna want realistic sliders.

Another pro is now we can blame the maker of the slider instead of the developers for half of the stuff in the way the game plays. And the good news would be if we started to hate the direction they were taking their sliders, then we could always go to another slider creator.

Great 2nd point as well! I think many complaints stem from meta here compared to actual game mechanics, so it would really ease the load off Ben and probably be a win-win for everyone. I seriously can say I feel very immersed at times with my sliders. Sure the AI can always get better, but I really do love my current sliders to a point where it makes me want to keep playing. Imagine playing a human with these in a custom versus league! It would be awesome!
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member

This is exactly why I gave up on playing sports games online. There’s just such a glaring difference between the prominent meta that leads to winning, and the real life strategies that lead to winning. And especially in this game, I just don’t find the game to be balanced from an offensive and defensive perspective, so it makes it even easier to stay away from the online portion of this game. Every time I try to play an online game just to ensure my opinions aren’t formed from distant experiences, I am constantly reminded why online in this game isn’t fun. Same meta goals, same twirl and spin strategy, same goalies who are inexplicably great at making some saves but can’t save a straight-on wrist shot from outside the tops of the circles. Offline, I’ve managed to build a great set with custom goalies where I see a ton of goal variation. Real hockey is rewarded, and execution needs to play perfect to score. This is a severely far cry from the online experience imo, and it’s really telling that I can’t even have fun winning a blowout, because of the way you have to win online.

I absolutely love hockey, and I love the strategies, the skill, the speed, the decision making, and the incredible vision that goes into winning real hockey games. Playing online, “vision” = what angle do I need to hold RS at or hold LT at to cancel a check in-order to give me a clear path to the net. Most goals, even at the most competitive of levels, require 1-3 passes to score. Vision is simply not rewarded nor needed in this game. Anyone that’s ever played hockey knows that vision is equally if not more important than your skill. If you can’t see a play forming 1-3 steps ahead, then you individual skill is rather useless on the real rink. In this game, twirling in the corner will eventually result in the backside AI defensemen just randomly skating into the corner or away from their mark. There’s no vision involved in opening that lane. It’s not a nice cycle or passing sequence, is literally spinning in the corner! Why does that open up a stationary player in the slot lol!?

And all these LG guys who have never played hockey keep asking for a meta that further rewards quick “twitch skill” over methodical passing and vision. Cranking up acceleration so that you can quickly attack any pass made ever does not promote more passing, especially when puck control is so high. Having pass interceptions cranked up in conjunction with ridiculous acceleration does not promote more passing. It promotes people playing zone and WANTING you to pass because it’s easier to knock someone in the middle of a pickup animation off the puck than it is to knock off a puck carrier slowly gliding who is feathering both LT And RS. This leads to 0-5 traps, 5-man collapses in the zone, and the offense running “plays” like its basketball to take advantage of problem areas for interceptions (below the goaline by the crease) to force passes through the human swarm.

To add to your last paragraph, that’s the WORST part of it! It’s incredibly frustrating to see the potential with all the tools at our disposal because with sliders, this game can be quite enjoyable offline for moments. If the AI didn’t do such a good job at killing my immersion every other puck possession or every PowerPlay, then I’d literally binge this game like no other (I still practically do lol)! We’re probably a super AI-focused year away from a truly great experience (offline at least) and we’re a slider vault/custom slider lobbies away from making online actually playable for people that want to play hockey, not figure skate and glitch. We’re so close to a great experience with how great of a foundation there is here in-terms of gameplay mechanics!! It’s the only reason I still post here! The work speaks for itself. The foundation is objectively great. The overall polish and putting everything together still needs fixing. If they were so far off, I woundnt bother posting/playing.

Yes im really thankful that you post here on this forum. You are very good at pointing out problems in a way everyone can understand.

And I would love if they could bring that special feeling when you play hockey, into the game, the vision. It gives deep to the game. Were you must think before you move.
  • smyth9779
    229 posts Member
    Totally agree with you guys @HoodHoppers @untouchable_BF1 @Sega82mega time for this game to get some kind of realistic quality online. I mean how many people buy the game for online play purposes? Sure, a lot of people like the offline game modes but it's a lot more fun playing against a human, 1v1 or 2v2 its just a lot more enjoyable. I havent dabbled with offline play a lot. So I'm not as educated as you guys are. But man what I would give for a quality online hockey game that represents the game of Hockey. I have faith it will come..🤔
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    smyth9779 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you guys @HoodHoppers @untouchable_BF1 @Sega82mega time for this game to get some kind of realistic quality online. I mean how many people buy the game for online play purposes? Sure, a lot of people like the offline game modes but it's a lot more fun playing against a human, 1v1 or 2v2 its just a lot more enjoyable. I havent dabbled with offline play a lot. So I'm not as educated as you guys are. But man what I would give for a quality online hockey game that represents the game of Hockey. I have faith it will come..🤔

Sounds like it will. I know Ben wants to get the slider sharing and roster sharing idea going so hopefully if there's enough like-minded people like him working on it (and thank God Ben is one of the leaders at the helm) then I think eventually we will see it.

If it weren't for Ben, I probably would never be on these forums and any optimism I have for the game would be out to the wayside.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Yes im really thankful that you post here on this forum. You are very good at pointing out problems in a way everyone can understand.

And I would love if they could bring that special feeling when you play hockey, into the game, the vision. It gives deep to the game. Were you must think before you move.

Thanks man. Yeah, I mean thinking before you move does happen in hockey lol. Lowering acceleration would do wonders for this as it would actually allow users to not only plan their attack, but be rewarded for their well-planned and well-executed attacked. It’s just way too easy to recover from poor choices when everyone on the rink can cover for the burned player. Makes collapsing way too viable and it doesn’t punish people enough for constantly stopping, starting, committing, recommitting, etc.