EA Forums - Banner

What does offensive and defensive awareness do?

Prev13
Has this ever been answered by a developer?

Does anyone know what it does in EASHL?

Replies

• TTZ_Dipsy
    463 posts Member
    Defensive awareness allows your guy to better block shots (more auto dives and stuff will kick in as well), and intercept passes.

offensive awareness allows you to.... do something. People claim there is some added auto-aim to your shots and passes but almost nothing has been confirmed when it comes to this stat.
    In real life it allows you to see 2 steps ahead and you can get open for better shots/passes but in a game that allows for overhead view and stuff, it's true nature is minimalized.

Even though we have dedicated hand-eye, passing, shooting, and strength stats, I believe OA gives a tiny boost to everything that falls under the "offensive" category - this includes accepting passes, and possibly shrugging off hits when you pass their blue line.

I've asked devs and CM's before but have never gotten a full explanation
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    I've always thought it was that your players stay in good positions on the ice. Like dipsy is mention, 2 Steps ahead, Good bost for your AI.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Defensive awareness allows your guy to better block shots (more auto dives and stuff will kick in as well), and intercept passes.

offensive awareness allows you to.... do something. People claim there is some added auto-aim to your shots and passes but almost nothing has been confirmed when it comes to this stat.
    In real life it allows you to see 2 steps ahead and you can get open for better shots/passes but in a game that allows for overhead view and stuff, it's true nature is minimalized.

Even though we have dedicated hand-eye, passing, shooting, and strength stats, I believe OA gives a tiny boost to everything that falls under the "offensive" category - this includes accepting passes, and possibly shrugging off hits when you pass their blue line.

I've asked devs and CM's before but have never gotten a full explanation

Offensive awareness is more noticeable on AI but it’s basically players getting into right spots on offense as well as ability to receive passes. Doesn’t have anything to do with being hit or shooting. Defensive awareness is the same but on defense (ability to intercept passes). Shot blocking is only stat I believe that effects shot blocks, DA does not. Improved hand eye will help you receive and intercept passes but it’s mainly being able to deflect pucks
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    463 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Strictly EASHL speaking, these stats don't affect the AI, it's all on the player. What doesn't add up for me is the fact that this is an overhead video game - you can see wayyyy more of the ice and the plays that are happening here than in real life - more or less OA/DA should have zero effect

The stat says it affects your knack for finding the back of the net - this has to mean some sort of buff to shooting, most likely accuracy. We already have dedicated stats for a lot of things that awareness covers; we either need a visual representation in the stats screen (ie, +1 to this that and whatever skills), or a complete overhaul of stats in general.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    these vague "descriptions" have always been an annoyance and a shortcoming that is really a blackeye for EA.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I've always thought it was that your players stay in good positions on the ice. Like dipsy is mention, 2 Steps ahead, Good bost for your AI.

You would think this is the case, but I haven’t really see this to be true as it seems like all players offline struggle with their positioning. This has given me an idea though: maybe I’ll edit a roster of people to 99 for both and a roster to 0 for both just to see what happens. I’m very curious as to how the game would play out.
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

You would think this is the case, but I haven’t really see this to be true as it seems like all players offline struggle with their positioning. This has given me an idea though: maybe I’ll edit a roster of people to 99 for both and a roster to 0 for both just to see what happens. I’m very curious as to how the game would play out.

Good idea BF. Do it! But im thinking this attribut must be really hard to aply to AI, we are talkin IRL hockey IQ here. I dont even know how they can adjust AI to act like a human in "ordinary" play. Must be a million diffrent scenario to start from.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    463 posts Member
    Someone tested a max OA bot and a lvl30 OA bot back in 15 or something and I think the maxed guy actually got more assists but was moved down a line and the lower aware player ended up top 10 in scoring.
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Someone tested a max OA bot and a lvl30 OA bot back in 15 or something and I think the maxed guy actually got more assists but was moved down a line and the lower aware player ended up top 10 in scoring.

Cool stuff!
  • I think i’ve read somewhere that the awareness stats affect the players ability to collect a loose puck or recover a lost puck. Off awareness in the o zone and def awareness in the d zone.

If that’s the case it’s basically the stat that allows a 99 off awareness player to skate through a lower rated d man’s stick and legs without losing the puck.

That said, when I tried to look for explanations for the attributes a while ago I couldn’t find any up to date info. Mostly just stuff from OS and concerning last gen. So I might be totally wrong here and it has changed since then.

• Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    makes sense juppo, think we can aggre it has something to do with players being in the right position (block shot, intercept passes) and that kinda stuff. Helps the play to be abit more normal.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »

I’m more wanting to test it in-game, rather than the sim engine. I’m wondering if the “awareness” attributes affect how quickly your AI decide that they need to “help cover” for you due to you being 1 micro-inch out of position according to them.
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    Guess AI with high awareness is a level up against the "normal" bots. Get things a little bit better and faster.
  • I could be wrong here but I always felt that other team mates would finish off scoring chances created by a pass from me a little more often with offensive awareness higher. So in my opinion it just increases your "knack for finding the back of the net" as it used to be described as doing, but also increases your pass recipients chances of scoring. That last part is pure speculation on my part. But the first part was how it was described a few years ago in the game.
  • Basically to sum up the title nothing.

Unless you're the AI team on the other side then it seems to matter, but on your team offensive and defensive awareness don't matter, from what I've seen and experienced.

I've seen SILVER players have better awareness then 92+ players

Just a poor developed game has been for years unfortunately.

• Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    But behind that silver player, theres another human. That maybe knows hockey better then you. Or me.
  • I don’t get it why this thread doesn’t get a response from the EA crew. It’s such a simple question and I’d like to get a proper answer.

• bryta47
    373 posts Member
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    I don’t get it why this thread doesn’t get a response from the EA crew. It’s such a simple question and I’d like to get a proper answer.

Well, I'm still waiting for someone to clarify exactly how some of the offline sliders work.

It's been a few years now. So good luck, I guess?
  • From what I've gathered, it increases your players ability to pick-up the puck in the specific zone. Example: dman with high Daware will gain possession of a loose puck in their d zone.
  • Offensive or defensive awareness usually means how fast/agressive a given player gets to a "perfect" spots (from a hockey perspective) whenever possible.
    These spots are drawn by a programmer.

It also determine the range around this spot. How close or far from this "perfect" spot a player can be.
    Lower awareness attribute = wider range from this spot.