EA Forums - Banner

Is it worth starting late?

I’ve had the game for some time been a player fo the series since 13, due to work volume I haven’t played this game as much the last two seasons. I fired up hockey ultimate team and decided after opening starter pack to jump into an online game. My best line had only two players above 80ovr and my very first opponents lowest was 90. His shooting percentage in the first period was 100% his offensive zone passes were quick and bypassed defenders for crisp full power one timers all goals. I outshot him 3-1 ratio in one period quality shots. My question is is it worth jumping in late or is it all about team rating? Is the game tuned to make you have to buy packs? (I did not finish that first match and likely will not return to the mode). Want to see what the communities thoughts were as far as not starting a team at game launch or Christmas.

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    S5andman wrote: »
    I’ve had the game for some time been a player fo the series since 13, due to work volume I haven’t played this game as much the last two seasons. I fired up hockey ultimate team and decided after opening starter pack to jump into an online game. My best line had only two players above 80ovr and my very first opponents lowest was 90. His shooting percentage in the first period was 100% his offensive zone passes were quick and bypassed defenders for crisp full power one timers all goals. I outshot him 3-1 ratio in one period quality shots. My question is is it worth jumping in late or is it all about team rating? Is the game tuned to make you have to buy packs? (I did not finish that first match and likely will not return to the mode). Want to see what the communities thoughts were as far as not starting a team at game launch or Christmas.

At this point, it's certainly not impossible to build a competitive team. I would suggest playing Squad Battles as that can get you some really good rewards. Rivals can be a very competitive and challenging mode. You might find it easier to start with Online Seasons for now.
  • So the answer to your question is wait until NHL 21
  • its not too late, all the top basic cards are soooo cheap now
  • yeah i agree i just rebuilt from scratch a 96 overall team in a month thanks a 2 lucky pulls from SB rewards, you can still compete. Plus you'll get a free 99 if you the hut playoff challenges.