EA Forums - Banner

Tired of all these rigged games

Replies

• bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    This is how it works guys. After 6 straight wins, I lost a game 2-1 against this guy Innuvol. The problem is, if you look at this guy's recent games (see 2nd pic below), he has only one win in the last 8 games before playing against me. All blowout losses but EA’s DDA wants player to keep playing so this guy needs to win every now and then and if I loose one game after winning 6 straight, I won't quit since I can't win them all. Just the fact that I couldn’t scored more than one goal against this guy doesn’t make sense. He has 85-86 overall players and I spent the entire game putting pucks at the net. The following game, I easily wont against a 98 overall team beating 99 overall Lundqvist 6 times.

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

No. He just got lucky. Or if you prefer, YOU got unlucky. :p

Imagine you toss a coin 10 times, and the first 6 times it's head, then the 7th time it's tails. Is that DDA? Or is that just Chaos Theory at work?

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

There's much more than just mere luck involved when it comes to gameplay in this mess of a game though. Both offline and online. You know this, my sir.

Because sometimes the game just... acts up. It gets slow, unresponsive and clunky. Some games are just more horrible than others. Both offline and online. This is known. It's not just that you get unlucky with dice rolls like bounces, passes, shots (this is possible ofc) - but controlling your players gets harder, there's input delay, speeds are off, etc.

Surely you notice this phenomena yourself? And no it is not always lag. The game acts like this offline too now and then.

So, is there some hidden agenda at play? Are they, EA, manipulating players via hardcoded scripts to make games "more interesting"? Or is the game just too convoluted and badly programmed which cause slider tunings to fail, the A.I strategies to go crazy or something like that? For example I know some sliders reset even though saved.

Who knows?

But to chalk it down to simple coin flips? Hm. I don't know, man. I don't know... Open your mind to how terrible a company like EA is - and everything becomes possible!

You certainly seem to believe they are capable of manipulating their customers in other ways, right?

Edit: I'm leaning towards incompetence and hubris with the devs myself btw
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    This is how it works guys. After 6 straight wins, I lost a game 2-1 against this guy Innuvol. The problem is, if you look at this guy's recent games (see 2nd pic below), he has only one win in the last 8 games before playing against me. All blowout losses but EA’s DDA wants player to keep playing so this guy needs to win every now and then and if I loose one game after winning 6 straight, I won't quit since I can't win them all. Just the fact that I couldn’t scored more than one goal against this guy doesn’t make sense. He has 85-86 overall players and I spent the entire game putting pucks at the net. The following game, I easily wont against a 98 overall team beating 99 overall Lundqvist 6 times.

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

Imagine you toss a coin 10 times, and the first 6 times it's head, then the 7th time it's tails. Is that DDA? Or is that just Chaos Theory at work?

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

Okay so for you winning or losing games has nothing to do with skills...it's just pure luck like a coin toss. Interesting theory but no, I don't buy it.

It's a free theory, no need to buy it. But very little skill or knowledge is needed to succeed in EA's NHL.

And to be fair, it's not just something that's common to ONLY EA. Other companies do it to their games as well.

Unfortunately the casual market is a very palatable one for many companies who value revenue over anything else. Why make a game for 200 thousand loyal fans when you can cater to the millions of casuals out there who'll pick up the game, play it twice a week. Just make it shiny enough to hook them in and the money piles in. It makes sense (to them) to dumb down their game and make it more accessible to a casual crowd who may not have hours upon hours to "git gud" at a game. Just lower the skill level, add in some randomness to the point where anyone with or without skill can succeed and VOILA!

It's called "Uncertainty of Outcome" and it's a very real term that's only recently been discussed in game development circles. Especially in competitive games. Look it up.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

Okay so for you winning or losing games has nothing to do with skills...it's just pure luck like a coin toss. Interesting theory but no, I don't buy it.

You’re exaggerating. Obviously there’s a lot more to winning than just getting lucky but a lot of games get decided by capitalising on the situations when you do get lucky. Like your AI steals the puck on the offensive zone and you score because you knew the right shot to take in that situation.

You could say that knowing the ins and outs of the AI to make the most use of it is a skill on it’s own but seeing that even the best 1v1 players have communication breakdowns with the AI makes me think that it’s impossible to know how the AI reacts to every situation.
  • The problem with the game is because the game is so inconsistent, you can still lose to bad players. And obviously when you do, you feel cheated.

The past few years, I've had guys I'd normally kill and used to kill 10-1 in previous iterations of the game actually have beaten me before. Now most of the games I win, and I typically win them handily but I have lost to guys that have very little IQ when it comes to the game of hockey.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    You could say that knowing the ins and outs of the AI to make the most use of it is a skill on it’s own but seeing that even the best 1v1 players have communication breakdowns with the AI makes me think that it’s impossible to know how the AI reacts to every situation.

And sadly, manipulating the A.I in this game seldom involves playing "real" hockey. Which ofc makes for a very boring hockey game.
  • BodyBags0000
    288 posts Member
    edited July 2020

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

It's a free theory, no need to buy it. But very little skill or knowledge is needed to succeed in EA's NHL.

And to be fair, it's not just something that's common to ONLY EA. Other companies do it to their games as well.

Unfortunately the casual market is a very palatable one for many companies who value revenue over anything else. Why make a game for 200 thousand loyal fans when you can cater to the millions of casuals out there who'll pick up the game, play it twice a week. Just make it shiny enough to hook them in and the money piles in. It makes sense (to them) to dumb down their game and make it more accessible to a casual crowd who may not have hours upon hours to "git gud" at a game. Just lower the skill level, add in some randomness to the point where anyone with or without skill can succeed and VOILA!

It's called "Uncertainty of Outcome" and it's a very real term that's only recently been discussed in game development circles. Especially in competitive games. Look it up.

I’m not sure if the first part is true. The way I see it is that the most valuable customer EA can have is the 13 year old who fires up HUT every day and sees all the advertisement for new content. Then the kid asks his dad if he can spend 5€ to get new players and the dad says yes because he’s too busy yelling at mom. Repeat that several times over the year and the kid has spent multiple times more money on the game than the casual.

edit. That 13 year old is probably not the ’hardcore’ NHL player who you had in mind but he plays the game very actively like us and he’s the player EA is trying to cater to (read. Exploit)
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2020

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

I’m not sure if the first part is true. The way I see it is that the most valuable customer EA can have is the 13 year old who fires up HUT every day and sees all the advertisement for new content. Then the kid asks his dad if he can spend 5€ to get new players and the dad says yes because he’s too busy yelling at mom. Repeat that several times over the year and the kid has spent multiple times more money on the game than the casual.

Yes, but if it takes said "Kid" a lot of time to get good at the game, he might not stick through it and abandon the game. Enter uncertainty in outcome and the lower of the base skill required to play competitive games and... you have exactly what I'm taking about.

Search for "The Consequences of Reducing the Skill Gap" on Youtube. Watch it and come back and tell me what you think. I never believed in "Ice Tilt" or DDA, but that video clarified a whole lot about the game industry, competitive gaming and the advent of "e-sports" and really opened up my eyes to why some games are the way they are.

EA's NHL included.
  • BodyBags0000
    288 posts Member
    edited July 2020

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

Yes, but if it takes said "Kid" a lot of time to get good at the game, he might not stick through it and abandon the game. Enter uncertainty in outcome and the lower of the base skill required to play competitive games and... you have exactly what I'm taking about.

Search for "The Consequences of Reducing the Skill Gap" on Youtube. Watch it and come back and tell me what you think. I never believed in "Ice Tilt" or DDA, but that video clarified a whole lot about the game industry, competitive gaming and the advent of "e-sports" and really opened up my eyes to why some games are the way they are.

EA's NHL included.

That was actually really good. Thanks for sharing. Definitely clarified how I view some things in this game.

It made me think though that the video seems to assume that players want to be the best at any game they get hooked on rather than want to learn a thing they just happen to think is cool which seems a bit odd. I get that it might increase the motivation to keep playing to think that it’s possible for you to be the best but even the video said in the beerbong bit that when the stakes get raised the players would favor more strict rules and less luck factors. My point is that if you play in a good competitive enviroment where every player is roughly the same skill level there’s no one’s ego needed to be protected.

( @NHLDev better matchmaking and ranking system for OV and HUT rivals please )

I think this is more about the barrier of entry than skill gaps. The players who are the true casuals and are just learning the basics of the game obviously shouldn’t have to keep facing opponents who are at the opposite end of the leaderboards. I think that kind of goes without saying. So isn’t the easiest way to keep the game enjoyable for the noobs to make sure they are playing other noobs?

I’m going to bring up Rocket League yet again because it does this really really well. The game is really fun to grind in the bronze-gold divisions because no one knows what they are doing and on surface the game seems kind of luck based and everyone gets goals and wins. When you break through to the higher divisions you start to notice that it’s not luck based but rather that even the 50/50 situations are an important tactical element of the game and takes skill and vision to be used to your advantage. Just like hockey.

NHL does this really poorly because it keeps matching lopsided games constantly.

The big questions are: Is EA adding luck to the game on purpose? I don’t know, they could be. If they are, are they doing it to make new players feel better? I don’t think so. If that’s their goal there are better and probably easier ways of doing that like the matchmaking stuff. Is there some hidden elements in the online gameplay that forces close games or something like that. Nope.

In the case of Street Fighter it absolutely sucks that the devs are taking the old skills away from the game but in the case of EA NHL it could actually be a good thing in some aspects. For example I’ve had some pretty funny chats after HUT champs games because my opponent is mad that the far side high blocker snipe shot isn’t going in and I’m just lucky because my goalie is saving them. My go to answer is just try something else. It was actually one of the first things I noticed when I came back from my NHL hiatus that scoring is a lot more dynamic than it used to be. There’s still high% shots but there’s more of them and there doesn’t seem to be any one shot to rule them all. That’s a really good thing imo. The 1v1 offense in this game rewards opportunism and creativity a lot more than before but it’s a crying shame that the AI isn’t up to snuff to play that type of game. It just seems to me that a lot of players haven’t really noticed that yet.

Then there’s obviously the defensive tools that have been nerfed to oblivion and that just sucks. I hope EA could somehow streamline the way players are reacting to hits and pokes and fix the balance issues for large players. The most dice rolly aspect about defense is probably the puck pickups and interceptions and I think the best solution for that is to just completely remove the awareness stats from the game and make those actions completely input based.

Sorry for the long and at parts off topic post but this was actually pretty interesting to think about.

edit. One thing I forgot to say is that doesn’t this benefit the intermidiate player more than the casual anyway? By intermidiate I mean the player who knows how to use the mechanics but hasn’t really mastered them but getting lucky allows them to keep up with top players who are just executing plays that they know to work.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    First game tonight. They tied it up with 2.1 seconds. We had to grind it out in OT. Literally grind it out. Our goalie is incapable of making a soft save, but will stop every pot rush shot from the blue line. What's new...

ULHD3Be.png
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    2nd game. We scored our 4th with about a minute left in the 3rd. Sorry, but there is something in this game programmed to keep games close. It's statistically impossible for all these one sided games to keep being close time and time again. I am fully on the DDA train now.

W7ZdvFc.png
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    You guys are probably tired of all my screens, but I feel if I just stop making my point of how forced these mechanics are to keep games close, it's just going to be a repeat of whatever crap is going on behind the scenes moved into 21.

RiZG0Uj.png

Another late, less than 30 seconds goal to make it 2. We were so sure that it was going to get tied up.

jYfIqYb.png

Thanks for the laughs for another night, EA.
  • Sega82mega
    3790 posts Member

egd0b0hk48dn.png

lu6plyl83ob2.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4674754

EA's NHL included.

That was actually really good. Thanks for sharing. Definitely clarified how I view some things in this game.

It made me think though that the video seems to assume that players want to be the best at any game they get hooked on rather than want to learn a thing they just happen to think is cool which seems a bit odd. I get that it might increase the motivation to keep playing to think that it’s possible for you to be the best but even the video said in the beerbong bit that when the stakes get raised the players would favor more strict rules and less luck factors. My point is that if you play in a good competitive enviroment where every player is roughly the same skill level there’s no one’s ego needed to be protected.

( @NHLDev better matchmaking and ranking system for OV and HUT rivals please )

I think this is more about the barrier of entry than skill gaps. The players who are the true casuals and are just learning the basics of the game obviously shouldn’t have to keep facing opponents who are at the opposite end of the leaderboards. I think that kind of goes without saying. So isn’t the easiest way to keep the game enjoyable for the noobs to make sure they are playing other noobs?

I’m going to bring up Rocket League yet again because it does this really really well. The game is really fun to grind in the bronze-gold divisions because no one knows what they are doing and on surface the game seems kind of luck based and everyone gets goals and wins. When you break through to the higher divisions you start to notice that it’s not luck based but rather that even the 50/50 situations are an important tactical element of the game and takes skill and vision to be used to your advantage. Just like hockey.

NHL does this really poorly because it keeps matching lopsided games constantly.

The big questions are: Is EA adding luck to the game on purpose? I don’t know, they could be. If they are, are they doing it to make new players feel better? I don’t think so. If that’s their goal there are better and probably easier ways of doing that like the matchmaking stuff. Is there some hidden elements in the online gameplay that forces close games or something like that. Nope.

In the case of Street Fighter it absolutely sucks that the devs are taking the old skills away from the game but in the case of EA NHL it could actually be a good thing in some aspects. For example I’ve had some pretty funny chats after HUT champs games because my opponent is mad that the far side high blocker snipe shot isn’t going in and I’m just lucky because my goalie is saving them. My go to answer is just try something else. It was actually one of the first things I noticed when I came back from my NHL hiatus that scoring is a lot more dynamic than it used to be. There’s still high% shots but there’s more of them and there doesn’t seem to be any one shot to rule them all. That’s a really good thing imo. The 1v1 offense in this game rewards opportunism and creativity a lot more than before but it’s a crying shame that the AI isn’t up to snuff to play that type of game. It just seems to me that a lot of players haven’t really noticed that yet.

Then there’s obviously the defensive tools that have been nerfed to oblivion and that just sucks. I hope EA could somehow streamline the way players are reacting to hits and pokes and fix the balance issues for large players. The most dice rolly aspect about defense is probably the puck pickups and interceptions and I think the best solution for that is to just completely remove the awareness stats from the game and make those actions completely input based.

Sorry for the long and at parts off topic post but this was actually pretty interesting to think about.

edit. One thing I forgot to say is that doesn’t this benefit the intermidiate player more than the casual anyway? By intermidiate I mean the player who knows how to use the mechanics but hasn’t really mastered them but getting lucky allows them to keep up with top players who are just executing plays that they know to work.

average age has to be pretty low, what mature man is calling every lost for bad luck, and some message you get is just, sad. But in some ways I understand, beein young and really competitive in a game that's on and of is pretty frustrating, can be to much for some people.

And the skill gap is not that big, and to be top in this game will mean you have to play in a way thats not particular pleasurable more then you win. I can almost ensure if I match up against the GWC winner, I wont get impressed on how good hockey eq he got, I might give him some cred for fast fingers, but if he plays a worth seeing hockey, doubt it.
  • EA even manupulates the outcome of HUT challenges. This was one of those chanllenges were you need a shutout to the get the reward. One shot, one goal, no shutout, please try again. For a mini pack, no thanks.

03r4vd3rbxes.png
  • rblaze1988
    43 posts Member
    edited July 2020

Guy hasn’t played for the whole first period i have 16 shots on goal...going into the 2nd period

(Different match)

This game is pathetic they should really take away the ranking of this game because there is no way that the online is fair and based on player skill it is mostly scripted and is fundamentally broken. It is completely disingenuous to rank players based on scripted mechanics like this that can change outcomes of games.

Edit: I merged your other thread here. Please avoid making duplicate posts and creating additional threads regarding the same topic.

-CM
    Post edited by EA_Aljo on
  • I was expecting this to be more AI-related so now I’m mildly disappointed. If you’re going to play this game competitively, you need to learn the two shots everyone goes for a twirl in the corner until the weakside AI player inevitably gives up their inside leverage to go follow their mark/stand in the corner. It’s not hockey, it’s not fun, it has nothing to do with user error, but that’s what the competitive community wants.

Trust me man, give up on online NHL if you’re wanting to play hockey. If you actually play the game to play hockey, not win at all costs, offline is definitely worth digging into. Sure it needs some serious TLC, and yes some AI issues can’t be fixed, and yes there’s a speed glitch that makes your sliders play at twice the speed and seemingly negate all of your settings, but if you really do love the sport, it’s closest you’ll get to hockey on this generation of consoles.

If NHL20 offline doesn’t do it for ya (wouldn’t blame ya) there’s still some great classic alternatives. 2k8, 2k10, and my favorite “hot take” NHL Hitz Pro are still the three best hockey games of all-time imo when it comes to the complete package of what hockey should look and feel like. I still play these games today so this isn’t just nostalgia talking.

Hope this helps man, good luck on finding an NHL experience that fits you!
    EA even manupulates the outcome of HUT challenges. This was one of those chanllenges were you need a shutout to the get the reward. One shot, one goal, no shutout, please try again. For a mini pack, no thanks.

03r4vd3rbxes.png

I'm not going to defend them one the "rigging" part but this one is on you. Get the one goal, then park your player in the offensive corner facing the boards and wait for their player to get "stuck". There's no need to play the whole challenge regardless of what challenge it is. Same goes for Squad Battles.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    2nd game. We scored our 4th with about a minute left in the 3rd. Sorry, but there is something in this game programmed to keep games close. It's statistically impossible for all these one sided games to keep being close time and time again. I am fully on the DDA train now.

W7ZdvFc.png

I'm Jam's teammate and these games were extremely frustrating. We dominated the play. We had chance after chance. Cross creases, breakaways but their bot goalie was playing like prime Jonathon Quick.
  • Nerdpaul18
    1 posts New member
    Was reading the earlier comments with the Community Manager Blueberry responding, asking for video proof. How about I upload a picture, worth a thousand words, of both my hands holding two stacks of every NHL video game released since 2008 for PlayStation that I own. I grew up playing this game longer than you any of you EA guys spent developing or it writing the code. We're the ones who know how the "code" has and has been working since this game has been released. We have played it out, tested it, for years. Longer than you. It's not the same, so don't be trying to tell me I got mental health issues. COVID-19, which I am reminded of every time I look at the cover of NHL 2020, has been enough of a burden on my brain. I believe the medical staff shown on the bench during gameplay have the same or just as much medical knowledge regarding mental health issues. Bottom line, there's no way in hell I got this bad in one year. I should be smoking these "Next Gen" babies online, showin' em how to play some real grind em out Canadian hockey. But instead I'm getting lit up by kids with "97's" and "98's" in their online name??? Gimme a break bud. We all know 2020's is a waste, and for the FIRST time, I would say the money spent on this game was too. Congratulations you losers. We would've bought the game anyways... couldn't you just have left it alone???

Can you just fix it up for 2021? For all of us here? If you actually care about feedback from your customers? PS5 gonna is be dope, so make the graphics unreal. Make it realistic as possible and give no one advantage ever online. Let the game be.
  • Nerdpaul18 wrote: »
    Was reading the earlier comments with the Community Manager Blueberry responding, asking for video proof. How about I upload a picture, worth a thousand words, of both my hands holding two stacks of every NHL video game released since 2008 for PlayStation that I own. I grew up playing this game longer than you any of you EA guys spent developing or it writing the code. We're the ones who know how the "code" has and has been working since this game has been released. We have played it out, tested it, for years. Longer than you. It's not the same, so don't be trying to tell me I got mental health issues. COVID-19, which I am reminded of every time I look at the cover of NHL 2020, has been enough of a burden on my brain. I believe the medical staff shown on the bench during gameplay have the same or just as much medical knowledge regarding mental health issues. Bottom line, there's no way in hell I got this bad in one year. I should be smoking these "Next Gen" babies online, showin' em how to play some real grind em out Canadian hockey. But instead I'm getting lit up by kids with "97's" and "98's" in their online name??? Gimme a break bud. We all know 2020's is a waste, and for the FIRST time, I would say the money spent on this game was too. Congratulations you losers. We would've bought the game anyways... couldn't you just have left it alone???

Can you just fix it up for 2021? For all of us here? If you actually care about feedback from your customers? PS5 gonna is be dope, so make the graphics unreal. Make it realistic as possible and give no one advantage ever online. Let the game be.

Couldn’t agree more.

I have been playing this game for a while to; since NHL 93 on Sega Genesis actually. I use to have people coming to my place on Sunday nights to play NHL 98 and 99. There were no rigged games at that time. It was a lot of fun. I don’t know how many thousand games I’ve played in my life but since I’m also a developer (not in the video game industry however), I’m tired to of EA telling me that all those mechanics to keep the games close are all in my head.

The passing game for me is also a big issue. It was better on NHL 95 than it is on NHL 20. I’m not much of a dangler, I prefer intelligent passing to take the defence off guard. That’s how the Great One played the game of hockey. With the input lag in some games, kids don’t even bother passing the puck. They just try to skate through my team. They don’t have much success doing it against me but that’s not how hockey should be played.

As for NHL 21, I doubt they will listen to us. Money talks so they will do what it takes to get more but maybe they could have two options for online gaming; Rigged or Fair.
    Nerdpaul18 wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more.

I have been playing this game for a while to; since NHL 93 on Sega Genesis actually. I use to have people coming to my place on Sunday nights to play NHL 98 and 99. There were no rigged games at that time. It was a lot of fun. I don’t know how many thousand games I’ve played in my life but since I’m also a developer (not in the video game industry however), I’m tired to of EA telling me that all those mechanics to keep the games close are all in my head.

The passing game for me is also a big issue. It was better on NHL 95 than it is on NHL 20. I’m not much of a dangler, I prefer intelligent passing to take the defence off guard. That’s how the Great One played the game of hockey. With the input lag in some games, kids don’t even bother passing the puck. They just try to skate through my team. They don’t have much success doing it against me but that’s not how hockey should be played.

As for NHL 21, I doubt they will listen to us. Money talks so they will do what it takes to get more but maybe they could have two options for online gaming; Rigged or Fair.

I couldn't agree more. I love to pass intelligently and create plays. It's what we see in real hockey. This is not hockey, whatever this is, they took away passing and turned it into a mess where you are forced to keep making the same play over and over again with the same player.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!