EA Forums - Banner

Tired of all these rigged games

Replies

• Sega82mega
    3826 posts Member
    darkop28 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Nerdpaul18 wrote: »
    Was reading the earlier comments with the Community Manager Blueberry responding, asking for video proof. How about I upload a picture, worth a thousand words, of both my hands holding two stacks of every NHL video game released since 2008 for PlayStation that I own. I grew up playing this game longer than you any of you EA guys spent developing or it writing the code. We're the ones who know how the "code" has and has been working since this game has been released. We have played it out, tested it, for years. Longer than you. It's not the same, so don't be trying to tell me I got mental health issues. COVID-19, which I am reminded of every time I look at the cover of NHL 2020, has been enough of a burden on my brain. I believe the medical staff shown on the bench during gameplay have the same or just as much medical knowledge regarding mental health issues. Bottom line, there's no way in hell I got this bad in one year. I should be smoking these "Next Gen" babies online, showin' em how to play some real grind em out Canadian hockey. But instead I'm getting lit up by kids with "97's" and "98's" in their online name??? Gimme a break bud. We all know 2020's is a waste, and for the FIRST time, I would say the money spent on this game was too. Congratulations you losers. We would've bought the game anyways... couldn't you just have left it alone???

Can you just fix it up for 2021? For all of us here? If you actually care about feedback from your customers? PS5 gonna is be dope, so make the graphics unreal. Make it realistic as possible and give no one advantage ever online. Let the game be.

Couldn’t agree more.

I have been playing this game for a while to; since NHL 93 on Sega Genesis actually. I use to have people coming to my place on Sunday nights to play NHL 98 and 99. There were no rigged games at that time. It was a lot of fun. I don’t know how many thousand games I’ve played in my life but since I’m also a developer (not in the video game industry however), I’m tired to of EA telling me that all those mechanics to keep the games close are all in my head.

The passing game for me is also a big issue. It was better on NHL 95 than it is on NHL 20. I’m not much of a dangler, I prefer intelligent passing to take the defence off guard. That’s how the Great One played the game of hockey. With the input lag in some games, kids don’t even bother passing the puck. They just try to skate through my team. They don’t have much success doing it against me but that’s not how hockey should be played.

As for NHL 21, I doubt they will listen to us. Money talks so they will do what it takes to get more but maybe they could have two options for online gaming; Rigged or Fair.

I couldn't agree more. I love to pass intelligently and create plays. It's what we see in real hockey. This is not hockey, whatever this is, they took away passing and turned it into a mess where you are forced to keep making the same play over and over again with the same player.

I also love that about hockey.

But in what way are you being forced to do the same play over and over again?
  • HurricaneFza
    464 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Was reading the earlier comments with the Community Manager Blueberry responding, asking for video proof. How about I upload a picture, worth a thousand words, of both my hands holding two stacks of every NHL video game released since 2008 for PlayStation that I own. I grew up playing this game longer than you any of you EA guys spent developing or it writing the code. We're the ones who know how the "code" has and has been working since this game has been released. We have played it out, tested it, for years. Longer than you. It's not the same, so don't be trying to tell me I got mental health issues. COVID-19, which I am reminded of every time I look at the cover of NHL 2020, has been enough of a burden on my brain. I believe the medical staff shown on the bench during gameplay have the same or just as much medical knowledge regarding mental health issues. Bottom line, there's no way in hell I got this bad in one year. I should be smoking these "Next Gen" babies online, showin' em how to play some real grind em out Canadian hockey. But instead I'm getting lit up by kids with "97's" and "98's" in their online name??? Gimme a break bud. We all know 2020's is a waste, and for the FIRST time, I would say the money spent on this game was too. Congratulations you losers. We would've bought the game anyways... couldn't you just have left it alone???

Can you just fix it up for 2021? For all of us here? If you actually care about feedback from your customers? PS5 gonna is be dope, so make the graphics unreal. Make it realistic as possible and give no one advantage ever online. Let the game be.

Couldn’t agree more.

I have been playing this game for a while to; since NHL 93 on Sega Genesis actually. I use to have people coming to my place on Sunday nights to play NHL 98 and 99. There were no rigged games at that time. It was a lot of fun. I don’t know how many thousand games I’ve played in my life but since I’m also a developer (not in the video game industry however), I’m tired to of EA telling me that all those mechanics to keep the games close are all in my head.

The passing game for me is also a big issue. It was better on NHL 95 than it is on NHL 20. I’m not much of a dangler, I prefer intelligent passing to take the defence off guard. That’s how the Great One played the game of hockey. With the input lag in some games, kids don’t even bother passing the puck. They just try to skate through my team. They don’t have much success doing it against me but that’s not how hockey should be played.

As for NHL 21, I doubt they will listen to us. Money talks so they will do what it takes to get more but maybe they could have two options for online gaming; Rigged or Fair.

I couldn't agree more. I love to pass intelligently and create plays. It's what we see in real hockey. This is not hockey, whatever this is, they took away passing and turned it into a mess where you are forced to keep making the same play over and over again with the same player.

I don't think anyone is forced, but EA left the door open for a playstyle that is very high reward, very low risk. People who want to win will obviously choose that playstyle.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more.

I don't think anyone is forced, but EA left the door open for a playstyle that is very high reward, very low risk. People who want to win will obviously choose that playstyle.

Yes I get that, just try to run over your opponent and be the first to do one of the 3-4 ways to score is the best option. But it stops there.. You can, if you wanna, take the game to next level, but that will probebly mean you will have to take some losses along the way, but that dosent seem to be a option.

But im not dumb, I understand what you all mean, I run into that 'forced' playstyle everyday I play the game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member

Couldn’t agree more.

I think you mean that EA's NHL is very high reward for very low effort or skill. You find the flaw that works and exploit it over and over again. Whether it's the one-hand tuck auto-deke or the "flick up" shot across the grain from the slot that can't be stopped, players will find the path of the least amount of effort to gain success. And EA doesn't do a thing about it, they don't improve their game to the point where it would require any kind of thinking skill to even just enjoy.

It's "Hey, you got 4 minutes to score a BAJILLION goals! GO!!!!"
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more.

I think you mean that EA's NHL is very high reward for very low effort or skill. You find the flaw that works and exploit it over and over again. Whether it's the one-hand tuck auto-deke or the "flick up" shot across the grain from the slot that can't be stopped, players will find the path of the least amount of effort to gain success. And EA doesn't do a thing about it, they don't improve their game to the point where it would require any kind of thinking skill to even just enjoy.

Hehe, yeah, thats another way of sayin it!
  • EA_Blueberry
    4656 posts EA Community Manager
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

But in a lot of high level games the scores are 2-1 or 3-2. If someone is giving up a "bajillion" goals that's likely a defensive issue they need to re-evaluate.
  • Sega82mega
    3826 posts Member

But in a lot of high level games the scores are 2-1 or 3-2. If someone is giving up a "bajillion" goals that's likely a defensive issue they need to re-evaluate.

Yeah you are right, I play alot of tight games, but that mentality Venom is talking about is still there, "I-must-score-nooow" a la terminator on a mission.

:)
  • d3v1t0
    70 posts Member
    For a long time, this game has had issues with Goal Variety. Just didn't think it would still be a huge issue in 2020, but here we are.
  • Sega82mega
    3826 posts Member
    What goals do you go for?

I for one, has never played a game with so much variety like this one... But if I see it the other way, I often let in the same type of goals, cause my opponent dont seems to like variety in ther own offensive strategy.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member

Not when the shot totals at the end of the game are 2 for one team and 5 for the other. I know they're playing 4 minute periods, but if you extrapolate the time to how much time and actual NHL game takes, you'd end up with 10 shots to 20. And that's not an exception in this game, it's the norm in high level games.

Just for fun I looked up how many times in the past 20 years in the NHL has a team shot 10 times (or less). There were 19 results. That means that in over 24 000 games played in that time span, only 19 games ended with ONE team shooting less than 10 shots on net. If we drill further down and include teams that scored 2 goals or more on 10 shots or less, you find only 2 teams. And of those 2 teams, only ONE of them won the game.

In other words, something that is extremely, EXTREMEMLY rare in the real game is something ludicrously common in the video game.

Teams having 50%+ scoring success are a dime a dozen in EA's NHL. That's not hockey, it's Baseball. Hell, even if teams score 3 goals on 10 shots, it's too much. You're not supposed to be batting .300! LOL

Few teams in the NHL can even hit 15% scoring.
  • d3v1t0
    70 posts Member
    What goals do you go for?

I for one, has never played a game with so much variety like this one... But if I see it the other way, I often let in the same type of goals, cause my opponent dont seems to like variety in ther own offensive strategy.

Well I TRY to go for all different types of goals. I play only offline, online isn't fun for me. But in terms of goal variety in this game, it's very similar to 19. It's mostly roll off or side step an over aggressive defender and take it to the net. That's what's usually open because the AI doesn't actively block passing or shooting lanes. And depending on where you are in the O-Zone, a defender will bail on their assignment and come at you full send. It's more of a game of cat and mouse rather than using what your line does best to create realistic chances. Cycling worked way better in 08 and 2K8 had a crash the net button.

Passing doesn't work well because of the AI's OP pass interception ability and AI teammate's lack of awareness and activeness. Your AI teammates are either skating away from you, skating in your shooting lane, skating behind a defender, or tied up 15 feet away from the net. And passing to the point is a gamble with the the D often positioning themselves to receive the pass offsides. Simply put, they do more harm than good, discouraging passing especially when the D can stop a pass that 100% should work.

Another thing is a lot of real life goals are scored on a quick transition from a turnover in the neutral zone. That barely happens in this game because the AI opponent will do whatever necessary to not turn it over in the neutral zone. If they can't make a crazy no-look pass behind the back at full speed, the AI opponent on the rush will do that thing where they unrealistically pivot at the red line until something opens up...everyone knows what I mean here.

And these goalies...they keep adding animations but the logic gets worse. I won't go into detail about the goalies but we all know they're never well balanced, but are the biggest reason goal variety isn't balanced.

Over the years, the AI, goalies, and restrictions on puck physics have kept holding back the flow and sandbox element of the sport. Most goals in this game are cross crease, breakaways, one-timers, and long snipes. Not a lot of tic-tac-toe passing plays, garbage goals on 2nd-3rd chance rebounds (most rebounds are off one bounce off the goalie), high slot tips, deflecting off defenders, shooting short-side on the rush (goalies heavily favor this now, far side is easier to score on), shooting 5-hole, etc... They're there, but not as often as it should be.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited July 2020

Have you seen my screenshots? One goal games yes, but the stat disparity is crazy. One goal games aren't indicative of high level games at all. Well, in our case usually, one side is definitely not high level.
  • EA_Blueberry
    edited July 2020
    TheMajjam wrote: »

Have you seen my screenshots? One goal games yes, but the stat disparity is crazy. One goal games aren't indicative of high level games at all. Well, in our case usually, one side is definitely not high level.

I saw your screenshots in the other thread and will have to take a look at your channel when I have a chance. You're not wrong in your statement, but stat lines should never be taken face value. I can't tell you how many games I've won with only 5 total shots because I was patient wait for an opportunity to strike, while the opponent was slapping shots halfway across the blue line all game looking for deflections and rebounds. I've seen it work against me before where they'll get 2 in the 1st period and another in the 2nd early on. I've seen it also not pan out at all, so the risk/reward balance there seems about right from my personal experience.

I think where you're wanting a change is to have more opportunities to shoot the puck from different spots less contested, but have the goalie be more adaptive so the game has a feeling of being more action packed with more shots going off, but still still only rewarding skillful shots.

Wouldn't mind a lot more rebounds but only if the goalie is able to quickly get back in a position to stop it. This way it feels faster and opens up the game to more outcomes rather than players relying on one-timers. Thoughts?

EDIT: Post I was referring to but mixed up your name with Sturmwolfe when talking about checking out the channel from this post.
  • It's not that games are rigged, it's just that there's so many things that happen on a semi-regular basis that either should never happen or should be a once every hundred games occurrence.

Take the goals in this clip for example. All three shots are going wide until the goalie deflects them in with the shaft of his stick. This should be a once in a blue moon occurrence, but it happens once every five games or so. The ones in the video all came in the span of just nine games.

• Please EA...no ice tilt? We all know gaslighting when we see it. How else to explain the puck just dying on the game goal line without being touched multiple times a game. How about being unable to pass because the AI defense is repeatedly checking you from behind triggering a grossly exaggerated animation. How about arbitrary ratings (99 speed but can be chased down by literally any other player rated 61 or above or 95+ rebound control but you give up a rebound on 90 percent of the shots you stop,and usually square one the opponents stick to boot. Should someone with 99 balance be able to withstand a nudge from a player with 78 checking without losing the puck. How come opponents jump right up after a check into the boards but my players have to wait 4 seconds and then do that stupid animation were they shake they're heads before you can control them. I know, I know, you need the video (something you know most of us can't or won't provide because basically the only thing less fun than playing this rigged cash grab is getting into a debate with you about it) before you can launch into some nonsense that anyone can identify as gaslighting. I'm just sorry that EA is so cynical a company as to think they can issue a $10 roster update and sell it for $60, charge players hundreds more over the course of a season (if they want a realistic chance to compete), then making then making those updated cards more or less obsolete after a couple weeks or so, and the deny, deny, deny when your called out for it
  • i've been playing since 07 and i just don't understand how people can't see it this year. I even wrote a post of what to look for on how to tell it's against you or for you.

Like last night it was for me against this poor soul who's ai dmen would just stop marking my wingers at the center line.
  • EA_Blueberry
    It's not that games are rigged, it's just that there's so many things that happen on a semi-regular basis that either should never happen or should be a once every hundred games occurrence.

Take the goals in this clip for example. All three shots are going wide until the goalie deflects them in with the shaft of his stick. This should be a once in a blue moon occurrence, but it happens once every five games or so. The ones in the video all came in the span of just nine games.

@NHLDev

Tagged for visibility.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

I saw your screenshots in the other thread and will have to take a look at your channel when I have a chance. You're not wrong in your statement, but stat lines should never be taken face value. I can't tell you how many games I've won with only 5 total shots because I was patient wait for an opportunity to strike, while the opponent was slapping shots halfway across the blue line all game looking for deflections and rebounds. I've seen it work against me before where they'll get 2 in the 1st period and another in the 2nd early on. I've seen it also not pan out at all, so the risk/reward balance there seems about right from my personal experience.

I think where you're wanting a change is to have more opportunities to shoot the puck from different spots less contested, but have the goalie be more adaptive so the game has a feeling of being more action packed with more shots going off, but still still only rewarding skillful shots.

Wouldn't mind a lot more rebounds but only if the goalie is able to quickly get back in a position to stop it. This way it feels faster and opens up the game to more outcomes rather than players relying on one-timers. Thoughts?

EDIT: Post I was referring to but mixed up your name with Sturmwolfe when talking about checking out the channel from this post.

I just don't believe what I'm hearing here. You think that because we have more shots than our opponents is because we're just tossing shots from the blue line waiting for rebounds and it's our opponents who are just biding their time, being patient, and looking for a good scoring opportunity??

If you take all of the stats into consideration, then our record, and the stats of our individual players and this is your conclusion then I guess there's nothing more for us to discuss.
  • Davanial
    267 posts Member
    Not to mention that shooting from the blue line for deflections and rebounds is, y'know, actual hockey. The condescending view from these EA guys toward simulating realistic hockey plays in any way is rather telling.
  • kezz123
    633 posts Member

Ironically, so did the games in nhl 10-11-12. I was in a top 5 club back then and we DESTROYED new players 20-0 and so on yet we would end up in nailbitters against other top teams in 2-1 games.

But it took way more skill which is proven by the fact that we would make anyone not on our level leave games (literally no games against bad team reached the end) and we could score in 20 different ways and that meant that the WHOLE team had to play pristine defense to stop these 20 different potential ways to score. Instead of having a goalie make 50 saves a game, onus was on the whole team to play well.

What you have now for a game is a shadow of itself and it is disgraceful. Your top teams probably couldnt score more than 7-8 goals against a weak team (with AI goalies) in most games and this is pretty indicative of how skill disparity disappeared over the years.

Also lets not put too much emphasis on the "top teams" of today's game since you are now having top teams out of a pool of player a fraction of that of the old days. Its akin to say that the olympics have the greatest athletes but only from 2 countries instead of all around the world.

There is a reason most people stopped buying the game but i bet a lot more of us are still keeping an eye on the series in case one day it returns to its roots.

Want to hear sad? The most fun i had playing hockey in the last 5 years is with slapshot on steam...the 10meg game....Felt more realistic than this game and less influenced by the "engine". pure skill based.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!