EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk Game Speed

Prev134567
Sega82mega
3310 posts Member
edited May 2020
Hello, it would be intresting to hear from you that play the game of the general thought about the speed in the game?

Why im asking is becuse I have a feeling that as the speed is set now, is way to fast for people to catch up. Seems like the only room for creative attacks is to put the puck infront of you, and sprint for your life, until something good or bad happen.

I always read over the years of people that complain about the game not beein enough fast, and when im think about it, very many team (almost everyone) seems to have the same tactic. To hustle your way through the other team. Not so much finess and truly not encouraging to great ability to keep the puck til your team with good puck movements. First of, why pass the puck if the players move as fast as the puck(!) , and second of all, how could I even think about getting the pass were I wanna cuz the speed is not manage able.

conclusion: I stick to my gameplan that always worked, Rely on a great connection and fly by my opponent.

Another thing that hit me, is that after every silver player competitive Seasons, I always read a large amount of posts around reddit were they sayin "So much fun with silver players, a whole nother gameplay". And thats probebly cause the game pace is slower and you are more in controll and not every shot goes exactly were you want it. Lower rating.

I would love a more slow gameplay were you in peace and quiet have time to do something fun with the puck without getting a brain tumor in the light of speed!

Im afraid all this talk of the game not beein fast enough has back fired and schooled us into the hockey 90% is playing today. Thats more about frustration then to build up an exciting game togheter.

EA_Blueberry: Edited post title to include Let's Talk
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• Agreed.

I play EASHL and online versus and both are too fast. I think a lot more plays could develop more naturally of the players ... skated at a natural speed.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    Thanks 2fingaz. Another aspect I miss to say, maybe... becuse, online mode is very sensitive when it comes to connection and all that. Could it be, that a lower speed maybe dont mess up the connection stream as much as if we have a very quick gameplay where there are no room for technical mishaps. And the meta is to go fast.

I dont know, feels so..
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    It is definitely way too fast, especially the agility and acceleration. You can make the perfect dump in and not even retrieve a puck, make poorly timed decisions and still stay in the play, abuse l2 and stop dead and curl 90 degrees, as a forward with the puck have quicker lateral acceleration than a manual goaltender, etc.

Skating is not balanced in the slightest.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    Also really good points. But the new (is it TPS?) skating engine that was added a few years ago, can be really slick, if everything around is smooth. But the OP speed is killi'n it.
  • @Sega82mega you can either:
    1- play on international ice
    2- play eashl 3's
    3- remember that its a simulation game, meaning that it replicates real life speed and gameplay
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    I take that like you are happy with how things are now. When it comes to speed.
    3- remember that its a simulation game, meaning that it replicates real life speed and gameplay

It’s not simulation. Ask the developers- they will admit it’s faster than real life

2- play eashl 3's

I damn near spit my coffee out of my nose when I read this, this game will never be a true simulation of hockey.
  • xPDogg65x wrote: »
    @Sega82mega you can either:
    2- play eashl 3's

I damn near spit my coffee out of my nose when I read this, this game will never be a true simulation of hockey.

Agreed not even close
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    A pretty good test I did to get a hinch how the speed affects the gameplay if a guy that like to play real hockey positioning play from D to FW like me is up against a player that like, lets call it, full forecheck 'hockey', no whatsovever idea of playing D, and helping hes goalie, only passes that is made is straight forward or straight back, to another guy that Keep the same line and speed.

The test was in PK, everytime I got the puck, I put it down to hes zone, so that he had to start over, in the mean time I falled back in position for hes next attack to come, I had to dump(mostly slapshots) the puck 4 times before my own AI match hes speed. And by that time he was literly trying to fly from one corner and pass the puck for that one timer from the slot, of curse he didn't make it, hes own AI had problem to keep up to hes speed of glory, ended up he pass the puck right in to the board on the other side, from RW to LW. Thereafter I was in 'sync' and could take the puck with 100% controll and all my players was in good positions for a pass, I almost didnt have to move my controller anything to skate through him, but my opponent was like a hurricane at this point and had no controll of anything that happened on the ice and whatsovever.

But as I said, for me that like to stay in good position, it took me 4 times to counter hes madness of speed. Maybe say something, I dont know. Just put it out.
  • I wish the players speed was more realistic!!! Really it would make the game way more fun and you could have more strategy!
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Im more and more convinced, the biggest reason why this game mess up its becuse the speed and lack of fantasy. Hockey may be a fast sport but not as fast as many in this game think it is. I almost 'know' people would have so much fun, even if you loose, if the speed was adjusted so you would have more time with the puck to do nice set ups then just dangel like a maniac without any real pressure (to get the others AI out of position) then hope for a stretch pass to hit the tape on one flying dude.

For exampel, LW and RW is almost the only option were theres room to be "creative", we seen that play a coupel of times now, and the C is very risky to use, cuz if you miss that pass it probebly gonna mean big problems. So people dont have the guts to try that, if this would be less hard to manage, I think, after 1000 goals in the back, people would realize they need to let go of the gas sometimes, and fall back, to protect the middel and have a good view on LW/RW.

But everything isnt bad, becuse if you find the good balance when it comes to speed, that pass to the center wouldnt cost you as much as now, and a whole new section would open up for many people on the ice that like the creative part of hockey, it would be so much more room on the ice if that space in the middel could be used more simpel.

-to dangel is rewarded, to skate how it suppose to be done, by doing it the correct way is not rewarded half as much. But I get it, Its quite diffucult to learn, and we can't force people into doin it.

But im all down with you here 2fingaz lower the speed, that will lead to many good things for this game serie!
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    I wonder how speed and accurate go together in this game, if you loose enough accurate when you hustle and/if stamina plays a part to.
  • EA_Aljo
    2734 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I wonder how speed and accurate go together in this game, if you loose enough accurate when you hustle and/if stamina plays a part to.

When your stamina drops into yellow or red, all your stats are reduced.
  • Davanial
    267 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

When your stamina drops into yellow or red, all your stats are reduced.

Reduced by how much? The only clearly noticeable reduction is to 'hustle' speed. Fatigue penalties need to be increased by a wide margin across the board. Computer AI, such as we play against in Squad Battles, appear to be completely unaffected by any penalty due to fatigue, and routinely put out exhausted units that play as per normal.
    Post edited by Davanial on
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    I've played a half-dozen or so VS games this morning after taking a couple days off from the game.

It feels like EA might have heard you guys about lowering the game speed. It just seems slower than it was.

Every once in a while I'll get in a streak of games where it's FAST as all get-out and I admit I like it quite a bit. But I do understand the appeal of a slower-paced game because it actually does feel more like real hockey.
  • EA_Aljo
    32Doak wrote: »
    I've played a half-dozen or so VS games this morning after taking a couple days off from the game.

It feels like EA might have heard you guys about lowering the game speed. It just seems slower than it was.

Every once in a while I'll get in a streak of games where it's FAST as all get-out and I admit I like it quite a bit. But I do understand the appeal of a slower-paced game because it actually does feel more like real hockey.

I don't have the numbers on how much it drops. If I get some details, I'll update here. However, nothing changed with speed. There have been no updates recently that would change it.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    Nice to hear 32Doak that even you can see some positive sides by lower the speed. You can still get a speedy game but it will just take a longer time to build up. Gain speed through the zone by giving the right player the puck.

I dont know either if something has happen but the two last days have been more fun then usally :)
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    It's been at a snail's pace. I'm not complaining as long as it's the same for both teams, which it has been I think.
  • EA_Aljo
    32Doak wrote: »
    It's been at a snail's pace. I'm not complaining as long as it's the same for both teams, which it has been I think.

There have been no changes to game speed recently. As far as how much your stats drop when players are fatigued, it actually lowers your top ability and adds more chance of error.