Well... not EVERYthing...

A solid start, definitely!
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Davanial wrote: »
    Well... not EVERYthing...

A solid start, definitely!

Yeah I got tired after 13 minutes lol. I think if we just see a fraction of these change the game would vastly improve

One of the more notable things I left out is a PC version, but I think the sales are spread too thin
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Cross play, better gameplay balance, work on manual goalies, etc. should have been in there but of course you can't include everything. Everything would be an hour long video hahaha
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Cross play, better gameplay balance, work on manual goalies, etc. should have been in there but of course you can't include everything. Everything would be an hour long video hahaha

True lol. By manual goalies do you mean the controls?

I sort of covered that as in deflecting pucks into the corner. You can RS all you want but there needs to be some sort of way to manually deflect pucks into the corner and control your rebounds. Maybe clicking RS in a direction like puck swat?
  • Cross play, better gameplay balance, work on manual goalies, etc. should have been in there but of course you can't include everything. Everything would be an hour long video hahaha

I sort of covered that as in deflecting pucks into the corner. You can RS all you want but there needs to be some sort of way to manually deflect pucks into the corner and control your rebounds. Maybe clicking RS in a direction like puck swat?

A whole bunch of stuff. They move slower than molasses.
  • Cross play, better gameplay balance, work on manual goalies, etc. should have been in there but of course you can't include everything. Everything would be an hour long video hahaha

A whole bunch of stuff. They move slower than molasses.

I’m inclined to agree. I stopped playing goalie after they jumped to classes.. the agility is way way too low. Have to rely on RS saves but then when goalie reaches out puck slides under arm or goes five hole. Even tapping LT (With prediction default on) and sliding across crease is too slow
  • 3v3 penalty shots should be ditched for Powerplays
  • so right about the hitting. Just played a game where i hit a guy in open ice skating at him, reaching full speed. I took the worst of it and was staggered for 3 seconds while he kept on skating. Poke check accuracy is also awful
  • for some reason they decided to make the position that does the most reacting in the game the slowest on the ice.... just boggles the mind
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    3v3 penalty shots should be ditched for Powerplays

Agreed. Even if the penalties were 3 on 2. At least this way the penalized team has a chance to actually defend. Penalties are probably around 70% successful on average in drop ins and closer to 90 when you have all high experience players in the mix. Tripping, hooking or bumping into someone in the middle of the ice doesn’t justify such a harsh punishment.

If nothing else make AI goalies a bit smarter. The only time a penalty shot should be rewarded is on a breakaway/legit scoring chance.
  • 3v3 penalty shots should be ditched for Powerplays

Would love to see this but don’t see it happening. Too many people like the penalty shots in 3v3 to glitch goal. Most players also don’t know how to run a proper powerplay too.
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    so right about the hitting. Just played a game where i hit a guy in open ice skating at him, reaching full speed. I took the worst of it and was staggered for 3 seconds while he kept on skating. Poke check accuracy is also awful

I really like this video when it comes to poke checking. I think the amount of tripping penalties needs to be tuned down, though, since most people don’t use the DSS. Many just point in one direction and RB

You really have to charge a player to knock him down in open ice unless the height difference is significant. Otherwise you get that weird animation where it looks like the player is shot and stumbles awkwardly, only to get right back up 1-2 seconds later. In real life, any hit in open ice is bound to knock a player down for 2+ seconds. Even smaller players can land big hits:

And even very large players get knocked down when there is nothing to brace themselves against

• Sega82mega
    3276 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    "I really like this video when it comes to poke checking. I think the amount of tripping penalties needs to be tuned down, though, since most people don’t use the DSS. Many just point in one direction and RB"

end quote: game prof.

Why tune down that? So people running around with no clue were to be with stick and body will be encouraged to do so even more?
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    "I really like this video when it comes to poke checking. I think the amount of tripping penalties needs to be tuned down, though, since most people don’t use the DSS. Many just point in one direction and RB"

Why tune down that? So people running around with no clue were to be with stick and body will be encouraged to do so even more?

That’s not at all what I’m saying. There is maybe like 5-10% of people who know how to use the DSS well. Thats not the fault of players, it’s difficult to use and it’s a steep learning curve. You have to angle players off rather than just try and poke the puck, which is only one aspect of real life or NHL stick checking. Trying to do a traditional poke check with the DSS (RB plus clicking the RS) often leads to your stick going through the puck/the other players stick and into their skates. Not to mention if you pick a player with higher stick checking the stick moves faster side to side, which makes it more difficult to use. Either tone down the penalties or make the effectiveness go down, or else the defensive side of the game won’t be enjoyable for the majority of players. If so many few people know how to use a basic game mechanic the issue is with the game not the player.

Even people who are in that 5-10% like myself still think that, besides the fact it’s too difficult for the average player to use, sticks hitting shin pads shouldn’t cause tripping so easily. It doesn’t happen in real life. Tripping is 99% sticks in between legs and under skates. The stick isn’t an immovable object where you skate into it with your shin and trip over. That stick is going to “fling back” and you’ll skate right through it.

• just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Dude I literally just had a 3s drop in game whereby I poked the opposing player clean and the puck proceeded to hit his skate and pop right back into his stick and then he somehow squirted by because he was using a super small dangler/sniper while I had a slow power forward. Another case of “do good thing get bad result”, “do bad thing (get poked) get good result”. Current gen NHL’s calling card.
  • Sega82mega
    3276 posts Member

That’s not at all what I’m saying. There is maybe like 5-10% of people who know how to use the DSS well. Thats not the fault of players, it’s difficult to use and it’s a steep learning curve. You have to angle players off rather than just try and poke the puck, which is only one aspect of real life or NHL stick checking. Trying to do a traditional poke check with the DSS (RB plus clicking the RS) often leads to your stick going through the puck/the other players stick and into their skates. Not to mention if you pick a player with higher stick checking the stick moves faster side to side, which makes it more difficult to use. Either tone down the penalties or make the effectiveness go down, or else the defensive side of the game won’t be enjoyable for the majority of players. If so many few people know how to use a basic game mechanic the issue is with the game not the player.

Even people who are in that 5-10% like myself still think that, besides the fact it’s too difficult for the average player to use, sticks hitting shin pads shouldn’t cause tripping so easily. It doesn’t happen in real life. Tripping is 99% sticks in between legs and under skates. The stick isn’t an immovable object where you skate into it with your shin and trip over. That stick is going to “fling back” and you’ll skate right through it.

But if you want to tune down tripping calls I cant really see it in any other words then you think people should be able to use it even more unwise.

I would say, first fix is to tune down the advantage you get from twirling and avoid hits in offensive zone. When that is done, poke and dss is pretty accurate like it is now.

Why people takes alot of tripping calls is mainly becuse they dont want to learn how to play defense. And thats not the games fault, although it is, in one way, becuse its never really been importen to know how to play good D.
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020

But if you want to tune down tripping calls I cant really see it in any other words then you think people should be able to use it even more unwise.

I would say, first fix is to tune down the advantage you get from twirling and avoid hits in offensive zone. When that is done, poke and dss is pretty accurate like it is now.

Why people takes alot of tripping calls is mainly becuse they dont want to learn how to play defense. And thats not the games fault, although it is, in one way, becuse its never really been importen to know how to play good D.

Im saying there needs to be a balance between skill and fun. You should be rewarded for mastering a game mechanic, of course. If you’re good at poke checking you should be able to knock it loose almost every time. Great. Toning down tripping penalties doesn’t punish these players or reward players who don’t know what they’re doing, as long as it is easier to knock a player off the puck with a hit in open ice than to stick check (which it is, in real life). Players won’t spam poke check if you give them a better tool to knock the puck loose. Plus, spamming is already pretty neutral since it slows you down significantly and your penalty percentage goes up the more you spam or so at least they say

Most players know how to play defense, they choose not to since it takes a ridiculous amount of time, skill, and effort to learn basic things like poke checking and stick lifting. That’s an issue. If it’s really as simple as “make defense easier to play” (which it’s not it’s much more complex than that) I don’t see why anyone would be against it with the current status of the game.. it’s all offense driven
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Im saying there needs to be a balance between skill and fun. You should be rewarded for mastering a game mechanic, of course. If you’re good at poke checking you should be able to knock it loose almost every time. Great. Toning down tripping penalties doesn’t punish these players or reward players who don’t know what they’re doing, as long as it is easier to knock a player off the puck with a hit in open ice than to stick check (which it is, in real life). Players won’t spam poke check if you give them a better tool to knock the puck loose. Plus, spamming is already pretty neutral since it slows you down significantly and your penalty percentage goes up the more you spam or so at least they say

Most players know how to play defense, they choose not to since it takes a ridiculous amount of time, skill, and effort to learn basic things like poke checking and stick lifting. That’s an issue. If it’s really as simple as “make defense easier to play” (which it’s not it’s much more complex than that) I don’t see why anyone would be against it with the current status of the game.. it’s all offense driven

Case in point:

The player actually used DSS correctly. But instead of getting rewarded for his effort, knowledge and skill, he gets shafted and the offense gets rewarded, as per the norm. There is NO input option on a controller that makes your stick jump like that. You can only move your stick in an arc around you, not up or down.

Why does the stick move around the puck like that? It could be a bug... But if it is, it's a bug that happens very regularly. It should've been squashed long ago.

As @GramerProfesur mentions, using the DSS correctly is already difficult enough to learn to use properly, yet it doesn't always reward you as it should when you use it correctly. If I use my stick as a containment tool, but the opposing player skates through it, I get a tripping call.

1st of all, I didn't trip him, he walked through my stick. 2nd, sticks aren't immovable objects replete with the mass of a stellar object. If a player pushes against my stick, as I'm holding it with ONE hand, the stick will be pushed away. No tripping.

Again, there needs to be a proper balancing between both SIM and FUN. Having a player go flying like a Creeper just blew up under him, just because I had my stick on the ice using DSS, isn't either of those two.
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Case in point:

The player actually used DSS correctly. But instead of getting rewarded for his effort, knowledge and skill, he gets shafted and the offense gets rewarded, as per the norm. There is NO input option on a controller that makes your stick jump like that. You can only move your stick in an arc around you, not up or down.

Why does the stick move around the puck like that? It could be a bug... But if it is, it's a bug that happens very regularly. It should've been squashed long ago.

As @GramerProfesur mentions, using the DSS correctly is already difficult enough to learn to use properly, yet it doesn't always reward you as it should when you use it correctly. If I use my stick as a containment tool, but the opposing player skates through it, I get a tripping call.

1st of all, I didn't trip him, he walked through my stick. 2nd, sticks aren't immovable objects replete with the mass of a stellar object. If a player pushes against my stick, as I'm holding it with ONE hand, the stick will be pushed away. No tripping.

Again, there needs to be a proper balancing between both SIM and FUN. Having a player go flying like a Creeper just blew up under him, just because I had my stick on the ice using DSS, isn't either of those two.

Hard to tell with the quality but it looks like the heel of the players stick actually touches the puck and the stick bounces up because of that. Usually the puck will just slide under the heel but on rare cases I’ve seen it make contact which leads to weird animations like this. Not the players fault.

The reason that pucks go right under the heel is since the “stick lie” on the player models are too high. It’s something the game can solve by making the stick have a lower lie and less space between the bottom of the heel and ice. Taught early on in hockey that blade has to be flat along the ice.. if your stick lie isn’t flat you need to raise or lower your stick to make sure it’s flat so pucks don’t go under the heel or toe.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!