EA Forums - Banner

Let's talk - How did you get started with NHL?

EA_Aljo
2122 posts EA Community Manager
Hey everyone,
This week let's talk about how we all got started playing hockey video games. Are you a grizzled vet going back decades or did you pick it up more recently? This doesn't have to pertain to only the EA NHL franchise. Were you a fan of the sport to begin with or did the game bring that out in you? Let's hear your stories of how that passion for the game all began.

My days of hockey games go back longer than I care to remember. Way back to playing on Atari and Intellivision and then moving on to battling it out on the couch against friends playing Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel on Nintendo. Hockey games have been a constant since, but it was NHL 98 when I really became hooked and it drove me to become a huge fan of the sport. When EASHL was introduced, it kicked the obsession up a notch as I now was making real-world friends that I met in drop-ins who shared that same passion. I couldn't stop there though. Next was seeking out work with EA with the goal to be involved behind the scenes with this game and its community. It's been quite a journey, but one that was literally life-changing.

Now, let's hear your story!

Replies

• Sega82mega
    2277 posts Member
    First of, great topic and nice story Aljo!

Me, myself, grew up in a town were hockey is everything, and for me that loved sport, it was ment to be, love at first sight. When I wasent on the school rink I was home playing video games or watching NHL that my aunt recorded on vhs, that time I loved Jagr, Lemieux and of curse Forsberg, he was everything I wanted to be.

I remember me playing Blades of Steel, loved the fights in that game, also remember, I think it just namned, Ice Hockey, on Nintendo, you could choose to either be a skinny fast player or a fat player with good shots, I liked the fat, cause I always been strangely obsessed of hockey shots. Guess im abit weird... Moved on to NHL93, I played against my best friend, we almost killed each other after the games, It was life and death, remember cheap goals, go left shot right, and of curse, sprint down the rink and pass the C for a one timer. Guess I let in that goal maybe 100 000 times til today. Dont wonder I get tired, hehe.

Today, growing old, but cant let go hockey, hockey and dogs, and nature is my crack in life. Cant feel shame for giving opportunity to play this high qualiti video game when it comes to play hockey. Iv'e seen worst in my days, I can live with some flaws. But it has always been fun times, and now days im more calm, but back in the days I had much more temper, although still hate to loose, always has, always will.
  • Do you count Pong as hockey?? It is kind of like air hockey...

My 1st hockey game would have been Activision's Hockey for Atari VCS. There were classmates that had Odyssey and Intellivision and I always wanted Intellivision but I think it was more money so I was an Atari player. Not the best for sports when compared to Intellivision so I played at friends and classmates houses most of the time.

NES came out when I was in college and theirs was also just called Hockey that someone had we played a lot. I bought my NES after college because I wanted to play RBI but then I found Blades of Steel and it was on from there.

When I played overseas I discovered TurboGrafx in Japan and I think their game was Power League or TV Sports. One was the baseball game and the other was the hockey, I forget which was which but was by far better than anything I played before. My TG was stolen when I was in Europe for the Worlds and I couldn't find a new one so I moved to Genesis and EA Hockey. I played that on and off for years.

When I decided to upgrade to Dreamcast, Sega announced they were discontinuing it and stopping producton on new games a few months later. I had just bought it and NHL2K2 and that was the last game that would be made for it. I'd play it once in a while but it basically collected dust in the closet so I took it to recycle during a move.

I wouldn't buy another console until X-mas of 2017 when I bought Xbox for the house. My dad had died that December and the Spousal Unit and I didn't do any x-mas shopping that year. Flying back from the funeral we saw a skiing game, Steep, and she said she'd like to try that. I went to Game Stop near the house the next day and bought her the game to have something under the tree for x-mas.

I didn't really want to get back into gaming after all the 'gate stuff and held off from playing until that summer. The law firm I worked for then had been hired by the state's AG office to work on the class action suit against EA and others over the loot boxes. They asked me to play for discovery and I chose NHL18 and was hooked on it immediately. I ended up buying 19 with my own money and then 20.

It has been a long learning curve with the controllers and the realism is lightyears from what I remembered from Dreamcast. Even as a kid I only played sports/racing games. I never played Mario or any of the 'shooters' that came along but hockey and baseball games will always be in my library as long as I have a console.
  • No real long story here .. a friend bought me NHL 98 for my computer and I was hooked . 20+ years later & 58 years old . I just finished my NHL 20 season on my XBOX 1 which I played 4 different teams and won the cup with the Panthers . 💪🇨🇦 cheers
  • Grew up in a hockey family on a hockey street so of course, young Dipsy was cracking out to NHL 94. '96 was my jam (go Hartford), and I loved the janky Nagano game. NHL 2001 was fun and I loved one of the HITZ games though I can't remember which one it was.

Few years went by and I got 2005 for Christmas and loved the big head mode - would have wager matches with my buddy and we'd bet RuneScape gold and other ps games; I lost a lot.

Same buddy brought NHL 10 over to a friend's place and we all sat down to play for the first time - absolutely crushed some kid who kept buzzing like a bumblebee on the mic; after that, it became a tradition to play the series. One of the lines they said "Oh it's Teeter Totter hockey, up and down it's the see-saw game" and we thought it was funny so naturally our team name stayed as The Teeter Todderz. Over the years I would offhandedly make lore for the team and it turned into something head shakingly insane, it's like a new religion for us.
  • Ice hockey on nes. Then over the years tried different games, nhl 94, 95 on snes, Wayne Gretzky 3d hockey on n64, NHL 98 to 2000,then took a break from gaming for a while (18-25 was my partying days). Then got a game cube to get back into gaming, and my next hockey game was nhl 06. Got an Xbox 360, and nhl 07 with the skill stick.
    Have been getting it every year since.
  • I started with this :)

• Oh boy, should I feel sorry for you? I dont know, think I rather kill myself than if I was forced to play that for the rest of my life! :smiley:
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Oh boy, should I feel sorry for you? I dont know, think I rather kill myself than if I was forced to play that for the rest of my life! :smiley:

Hah, you would be probably surprised how many people would say something like this about the NHL 21. These people just stopped playing and silently wait for a good HOCKEY game. If that ever happen again, they'll come back.

You have to look little farther tho, behind the "moderated" feedback of the official forums :)
  • Sega82mega
    2277 posts Member
    times change and so do we.. :)
  • @djneohockey ..
    That a good one i remember playing that one ...were getting old 😄
    But ice hockey was better ...one skinny and 2 fatso was a good line up 👍

We use to keep the stats of each players

Cheers
    MRSENATEURS
  • Blades of Steel on my dad’s NES. Then NHL 99. I’m a mid-90’s baby. NHL Hitz series and NHL 2004 are still some of the great hockey video games of all-time.
  • Sega82mega
    2277 posts Member

Sorry, could not resist.

.. Just the sound, it was so psychedelic.

And that noise from the crowd during the fight. Recall memories!
  • nyi95
    135 posts Member
    Growing up in Montreal in the early 70s how could one not love hockey? I started out on table top hockey. The one that had only the original 6 teams, a wooden puck, metal players. My brothers and I would bend those blades and man, did that puck fly!!

I've been playing video hockey games as long as my mind lets me remember, lol. Have some still dating back to the early 90s.

Got introduced to online in 2010. I remember how cool it was to play against others from across Canada and the US. Met some great people who are still my friends today.

Jump forward 10 years, is it still the same? Sadly no. Not many people on these days. Blame it on the game? I don't know. We are getting older, people have lives. Ps3 days were the absolute best years for me.

Here's hoping the next gen will change....
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Sorry, could not resist.

.. Just the sound, it was so psychedelic.

And that noise from the crowd during the fight. Recall memories!

Absolutely love it! 4 year-old me loved that game lol!
  • Sega82mega
    2277 posts Member
    80 talists is not a spoiled generation when it comes to play hockey on video games. But it was sooo cool anyway! :)
  • Sega82mega
    2277 posts Member
    nyi95 wrote: »
    Growing up in Montreal in the early 70s how could one not love hockey? I started out on table top hockey. The one that had only the original 6 teams, a wooden puck, metal players. My brothers and I would bend those blades and man, did that puck fly!!

I've been playing video hockey games as long as my mind lets me remember, lol. Have some still dating back to the early 90s.

Got introduced to online in 2010. I remember how cool it was to play against others from across Canada and the US. Met some great people who are still my friends today.

Jump forward 10 years, is it still the same? Sadly no. Not many people on these days. Blame it on the game? I don't know. We are getting older, people have lives. Ps3 days were the absolute best years for me.

Here's hoping the next gen will change....

Cool place to grow up.. I can only imagine. Table hockey was the deal! Had it myself, hated when the puck got to that point when no one could reach it.... Haha.. It did kill the vibe :D
  • Playing since NHL94. Used to have tournaments with my brothers and friends. We all picked a team. Winners played each other until the finals which was best of 3.. ha ha