EA Forums - Banner

It's Over! RIP NHL Video Games

I have supported this franchise since NHL 94 and have played hockey IRL at a competitive level. This game feels nothing like real hockey, yet even for a video game. We are bombarded with way too many unfixed issues year by year which is becoming frustrating and has got to a point I'm done with NHL 20...along so many others.

What will it take to realize the NHL video game population is getting lower for a reason? HUT is pretty much the only sustainable mode, though modes like EASHL are dying out, causing clubs to disband daily, We are customers who pay hard earned money for these games, it would be nice to see a little more passion within the development of this game.

The bugs such as A.I. customization error, DR error, looping/freezing, lag spikes ( common issue within this game lately ) need to be fixed no questions asked.

Other common problems we face are players exploiting the game to win either by CR glitching, going as a female character so if you get hit, there will be little impact ( we tested this theory in club, it worked ), players shooting short side on the goalies blocker by the nearby hashmark to score ( works 100% of the time )

Fix some modes that are becoming way too repetitive like Be A Pro, and Franchise Mode.

Just simple fixes and this game would be worth paying for.

If you want to market better off this focus on other modes too, not just HUT...

Along please update your tuners, these current sliders are horrendously bad and caused the A.I. defense to play forward instead of D.

Replies

• No competition. No Pride. No accountability. Profit over fairness. Quantity and shiny objects over quality.

No chance of the changes you want happening.
  • They get enough positive feedback from streamers, Facebook and I think Twitter that let's them know that the game is actually going the direction they want. It's not intended to feel like a hockey game. It's intended to be a fun game that has hockey elements that certain people like. That's the audience. The current direction is just different than how you envision that and what you perceive as hockey doesn't have to be replicated into a video game.
  • They get enough positive feedback from streamers, Facebook and I think Twitter that let's them know that the game is actually going the direction they want. It's not intended to feel like a hockey game. It's intended to be a fun game that has hockey elements that certain people like. That's the audience. The current direction is just different than how you envision that and what you perceive as hockey doesn't have to be replicated into a video game.

Yes I get that, though they have been dropping in population for a very longtime, majority of them from the EASHL communities. The bugs are the toughest part to deal with. Last night we had a bunch of problems relating to the game, we just went offline along some clubs we played against messaged us with the same issues and said they are not playing also.

Something is wrong when paying customers start leaving this game...

I agree with your whole post except the part about it being “fun” lol. Despite all my work to try and make this game playable, I’m becoming increasingly disenchanted with this game. I just can’t handle watching my AI teammates constantly shading to the weakside of their assignments to allow the middle of the ice, I can’t handle watching them stand still and not help in boardplay situations, I can’t handle watching them not be able to tag-up when their offside anymore, and I can’t keep watching goalies make miraculous saves from great scoring opportunities while giving up floaters from the blueline even with sliders.

The crowd is awful, the presentation is lacking, the modes lack common-sense items, it’s just a really frustrating experience all-around for people who want a simulation experience offline. It’s literally impossible and not because of of our own-doing. Sliders can’t fix this game. I’m just tired man. I’m going to keep trying to provide feedback, but I need actual substantial improvements at some point, otherwise I’ll just be done.

I agree with your whole post except the part about it being “fun” lol. Despite all my work to try and make this game playable, I’m becoming increasingly disenchanted with this game. I just can’t handle watching my AI teammates constantly shading to the weakside of their assignments to allow the middle of the ice, I can’t handle watching them stand still and not help in boardplay situations, I can’t handle watching them not be able to tag-up when their offside anymore, and I can’t keep watching goalies make miraculous saves from great scoring opportunities while giving up floaters from the blueline even with sliders.

The crowd is awful, the presentation is lacking, the modes lack common-sense items, it’s just a really frustrating experience all-around for people who want a simulation experience offline. It’s literally impossible and not because of of our own-doing. Sliders can’t fix this game. I’m just tired man. I’m going to keep trying to provide feedback, but I need actual substantial improvements at some point, otherwise I’ll just be done.

Agree with this 100% . It seems to be tougher to get games lately as I have seen the members online go down by a ton, mostly in EASHL. Though HUT is getting to that point.

This once was a good game. Sadly it just feels like a copy & paste type scenario. Nothing has moved forward other than a few tweaks here and there.

Agree with this 100% . It seems to be tougher to get games lately as I have seen the members online go down by a ton, mostly in EASHL. Though HUT is getting to that point.

This once was a good game. Sadly it just feels like a copy & paste type scenario. Nothing has moved forward other than a few tweaks here and there.

The most frustrating part is, a lot of improvements have been made from a pure gameplay mechanics standpoint (like DSS until they decided a millimeter of a stick hitting a millimeter of a skate should result in a trip). Unfortunately, no (or very few, marginal improvements that can’t be noticed) AI improvements have been made to make this game immersive. I would actually prefer a game lacking some mechanics/features if it meant I have AI teammates actually able to perform plays that make hockey sense a decent chunk of the time.

Remember old sports games where the AI chased the object to a fault? Well now, we have AI how run away from the object or just completely stand still to a fault. I’d rather have the former because you can at least justify over-pursuit in a chaotic sport like hockey. You simply can’t justify an AI player standing still staring at the puck five feet away as if they’re recovering from a recent lobotomy operation.

Playing a game of NHL Hitz pro makes you realize how incredibly unfun this game is. The scrambles in that game in-front of the net feels like a real playoff hockey scramble. The game lacks features, it lacks finesse, there’s not enough snipes/screens, but man does the game just feel like hockey. The AI is very static (made in 2003) but they play a respectable game of hockey. Sure, there’s a few scenarios I’d love for them to be more aggressive and drive the play defensively, but at least I know my AI teammates won’t stand still and stare at the puck rather than actually attempt to retrieve it. What a refreshing experience.
  • neither youtube stremers nor twitters nor paid reviews. the only thing missing is the competition. EA need for speed NFS has lost 40% of the market in the last 10 years because, for example, forza horizon is a city event too. EA would probably like a great game, I really believe it, but unfortunately it employs second-league and third-league programmers, and they always give them only one task: to fix the biggest mistakes and move the game! I believe it again, but it's the same as if Audi started making Boeings and everyone prefers to fly Bentley Air because it has 0 fatal accidents and each seat has its own smell according to what the customer wants .... Compare, for example, movie series 10 years back and today when Netflix, Apple, Google, Amazon are shooting ... it's incomparable because of the competition.

yes unfortunately yes, there is already a clear decline in overall quality and responsibility for a quality product with new elements. Companies like Ubisoft or Bethesda can't afford this. EA visible yes. On the other hand, EA is not and never will be Naughty Dog :)

The most frustrating part is, a lot of improvements have been made from a pure gameplay mechanics standpoint (like DSS until they decided a millimeter of a stick hitting a millimeter of a skate should result in a trip). Unfortunately, no (or very few, marginal improvements that can’t be noticed) AI improvements have been made to make this game immersive. I would actually prefer a game lacking some mechanics/features if it meant I have AI teammates actually able to perform plays that make hockey sense a decent chunk of the time.

Remember old sports games where the AI chased the object to a fault? Well now, we have AI how run away from the object or just completely stand still to a fault. I’d rather have the former because you can at least justify over-pursuit in a chaotic sport like hockey. You simply can’t justify an AI player standing still staring at the puck five feet away as if they’re recovering from a recent lobotomy operation.

Playing a game of NHL Hitz pro makes you realize how incredibly unfun this game is. The scrambles in that game in-front of the net feels like a real playoff hockey scramble. The game lacks features, it lacks finesse, there’s not enough snipes/screens, but man does the game just feel like hockey. The AI is very static (made in 2003) but they play a respectable game of hockey. Sure, there’s a few scenarios I’d love for them to be more aggressive and drive the play defensively, but at least I know my AI teammates won’t stand still and stare at the puck rather than actually attempt to retrieve it. What a refreshing experience.

this only confirms the assumption that the programmers do not play hockey, but only a game that a manager proposes and the vice manager completes, and the super chef manager procures and sells it to the production department. in the beginning there is something that is of course much better than nhl95 or steel blade ... but in the end it is not so great because there is no one to make it. That's why it's easier to do only an endless remaster :)
  • The problem with the AI is that they’re physical gods. Andy Slater, the opposing team’s AI center man (which is always fun to plays against in EASHL) scored 6 in an 8-7 OT loss against us a couple days ago.

There was no stopping Slater that night. He was on a mission to prove the critics wrong. Rebound put backs, snipes, massive hits, you name it. Even with a 7 goal output we couldn’t contain the determined Slater that fateful night.

6 freakin goals from an AI player who we couldn’t stick lift, could kinda hit but not really, and of course couldn’t keep off the rebounds at all while their 2 user players just had to ride the wave 🤦‍♂️. Awesome programming.
  • The problem with the AI is that they’re physical gods. Andy Slater, the opposing team’s AI center man (which is always fun to plays against in EASHL) scored 6 in an 8-7 OT loss against us a couple days ago.

There was no stopping Slater that night. He was on a mission to prove the critics wrong. Rebound put backs, snipes, massive hits, you name it. Even with a 7 goal output we couldn’t contain the determined Slater that fateful night.

6 freakin goals from an AI player who we couldn’t stick lift, could kinda hit but not really, and of course couldn’t keep off the rebounds at all while their 2 user players just had to ride the wave 🤦‍♂️. Awesome programming.

Yep, physical specimens with no brains lol.
  • Xcel38
    19 posts Member
    modes like EASHL are dying out, causing clubs to disband daily.

Yet the largest EASHL league League Gaming has record sign-ups and is continually expanding
  • You know what is sad? The only real fun I have anymore is simming franchise seasons and making a team. Playing the game? I can play 2 games and then I am like meh.
  • Xcel38 wrote: »

Yet the largest EASHL league League Gaming has record sign-ups and is continually expanding

Could it be that people are searching up leagues because the in-game matchmaking and competitive format isn’t good enough? Just saying that it doesn’t necessarily mean that the player base is growing or healthy if more people are signing up for leagues.

Not sure if you were trying to say that or not but that’s the reason I quit eashl.

• Juppo1996 wrote: »
    Xcel38 wrote: »

Could it be that people are searching up leagues because the in-game matchmaking and competitive format isn’t good enough? Just saying that it doesn’t necessarily mean that the player base is growing or healthy if more people are signing up for leagues.

Not sure if you were trying to say that or not but that’s the reason I quit eashl.

Just came here to say that. Matchmaking was awful in 19, and judging by these comments, it’s not much better in 20 so no wonder people are signing up in record numbers to play some 6s.
  • nyi95
    162 posts Member
    They have to get rid of this catch up logic, or keeping the game close nonsense. Last night in a 6s game we were leading 6 to 1 with about 4 mins left in the game. Score ended 6 to 5 for us, lol. Every freaking shot they took in those last 4 mins went in. Didn't matter from where or what kind of shot it was. Worst goals u ever saw. Not to mention, we couldn't do anything either. All of a sudden we couldn't pass, skate, shoot for our lives. I'm sorry, but if a team's bad, they're bad. They shouldn't be allowed to come back like that. We won, but wins aren't everything. Of course it'll come back to the users fault issue,but, just thought I'd throw my 2cents worth in. Beauty! Lol.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Xcel38 wrote: »

I wouldn't use LG sign-up numbers as any kind of barometer for the game's "popularity" (or quality for that matter). Fact is, during the first two LG seasons when the game had just come out they were struggling to get even 3K users to sign up for the start of the season, when usually they would get that within the first week or so of sign-ups opening.

Plus, the Summer Season usually coincides with the game being available for free in the EA vault, so that will boost up signups slightly.

I also agree with @Juppo1996 that people might be looking to join up leagues because of the problems with the regular matchmaking in the game. Not that private matchmaking is without wrinkles... Oh, the bad memories are coming back! :(:(:(