EA Forums - Banner

EA direction

I always believed that EA slowly worked on games because they felt that if they fixed too much in one game, they would have little idea of what to do in the next apart from a roster update. I get it, it would be a buissiness plan to keep selling games, I don't like it but I get it. NHL has proven that theory wrong. There is SO much people are asking for.. and we get snoop dog, we get street clothes, we get 1's.. (I do enjoy threes) they could fix almost everything people are asking for and we would EASILY create a completely new list due to HOW far behind this title is. Everything in this game is years behind every other sports title. Franchise doesn't have connected franchise which puts it a decade behind madden.. HUT is likely about a decade behind Madden, it still has contracts and challenges are boring. Madden has fun challenges, you take part playing in different scenarios, you can face a team of Terrell Owens, imagine a team of NHL Mascots! Eashl is a mode created for humans to ride on the backs of CPU, eashl 3's you have people playing drop-in with 1200 CR hiding behind their own net when they're up by 1 goal and you have a 400 cr defenseman on your team(sorry that just happened) and trolls galore! .. Be a Pro is WORSE than the career mode in Madden 06 on PS2. Go ahead, open YouTube and watch someone start a superstar mode in Madden 06 and see how many more features and options that game has over NHL really, do it! That game is nearly 15 years old and NHL is still behind! I get that NHL makes less money but there is NO excuse for the game to be 10-15 years behind every other sports title and in every mode. We keep hearing how hard they're working, but 15 years? Should we HOPE that in 15-25 years NHL is where Madden is today? In 35-50 it's where 2K is? Hockey is a great sport, it's so sad that this game is Soo far behind. Is their studio that much smaller than Madden's was 15 years ago? Be a pro is fun until you make the first line, then it just has nothing to look forward to, no inventive to keep playing. No roster share? Salary cap mode in hut? Frostbite? Without looking it up, how many people could name 2 things that were changed in NHL 20 apart from some slider adjustments? Go ahead and think before reading further...

They added a new broadcast system and replays.. the threes eliminator community HATES the replays they're FORCED to watch after every game so this was a change for the worse. They added threes eliminator, which has led to the game crashing when you make it to the finals a few times a night AND also a lot of people were forced to create new profiles for a while if they wanted to keep playing eliminator, so this was worse. Goalie intelligence and redirected rebounds made for very minor changes some shots are now easier some are tougher it's nothing better, rpm and changes to 1t's was actually a slight improvement to the game. That's honestly the only change that made this game better... 1 year and 2 things that make the game worse and 1 thing that makes it better.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4200 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Im not after you.. Hehe.. But what if, its just more difficult to develop a sport like hockey then football for exampel.

10 players with a stick(that you can move) on a small surface and a puck that travel in a really high speed, just like the players. All this take place on a ice with a skating engine, not just to run like you do in football. Collisions - puck vs board - puck vs stick - body vs body. Its more technically advanced to tune up then many other sport games.

Add up what you said yourself, small dev team/less money..and I think we are close to reality.
  • nyi95
    179 posts Member
    Funny thing though Sega, they had it in last gen. Game played more true to the sport than now( minus graphics and skating of course). I'm currently playing nhl15 on the ps3 at its hardest setting, 10 min periods and I'm actually able to compete against the computer. I never know if I'm going to win or lose. Good close games. I agree with you that speed is the main factor here. Then the AI and then the goalies. Also, remember that great beta they delivered( sorry, teased us with). I honestly believe they are capable of making this game really great. Question is........what or who is holding them back?
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Funny thing though Sega, they had it in last gen. Game played more true to the sport than now( minus graphics and skating of course). I'm currently playing nhl15 on the ps3 at its hardest setting, 10 min periods and I'm actually able to compete against the computer. I never know if I'm going to win or lose. Good close games. I agree with you that speed is the main factor here. Then the AI and then the goalies. Also, remember that great beta they delivered( sorry, teased us with). I honestly believe they are capable of making this game really great. Question is........what or who is holding them back?

Exactly. It's not the difficulty of the task, it's the direction the team is going. The game used to be dedicated to making the game feel more like hockey with every iteration and then in new Gen it's dedicated to something a lot of us players don't even understand. We assume it's the business side of things, but we don't know if it's incompetence or planned obsolecense.

I mean they can't even be bothered to fix something that takes 5 minutes within a span of 3 months half of the time. We don't even ask for big changes, we actually give them that leeway majority of the time but even with lowered expectations they're not even coming close to being met.

They're trying really hard on the wrong things 90% of the time.
  • nyi95
    179 posts Member
    Pretty sure it's a money thing, what isn't these days? They've ushered in the new era. It's up to us old schoolers who love the game of hockey to either accept it or not. We've been left out to pasture. It's not like they're holding a gun to our heads saying" buy it or else!" right? It's always going to be a money thing. If that is the case then they should stop calling this a hockey sim and just label it an nhl arcade game. All the debates would stop. Someone says something about the game, they just have to say" Hey, its an arcade game, what do you want?"

Leaves the door wide open for some other company to make a real sim game. Sadly, no takers.

Gotta tell you though, I've been using cyclonniacs( not sure of the spelling, sorry cy) sliders and had 2 games thus far that i could tolerate.

Question of the day for nhl21......
    To buy or not to buy.......
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's a money thing, what isn't these days? They've ushered in the new era. It's up to us old schoolers who love the game of hockey to either accept it or not. We've been left out to pasture. It's not like they're holding a gun to our heads saying" buy it or else!" right? It's always going to be a money thing. If that is the case then they should stop calling this a hockey sim and just label it an nhl arcade game. All the debates would stop. Someone says something about the game, they just have to say" Hey, its an arcade game, what do you want?"

Leaves the door wide open for some other company to make a real sim game. Sadly, no takers.

Gotta tell you though, I've been using cyclonniacs( not sure of the spelling, sorry cy) sliders and had 2 games thus far that i could tolerate.

Question of the day for nhl21......
    To buy or not to buy.......

If it truly is a money thing, spending a ton of money on designers to create these abysmal WoC clothing options seems like an incredible waste resources. Hiring snoop to come say a few lines during the 2nd period? Seems like an incredible waste of resources.

The old-gen attracted non-hockey fans because it was exciting, required a lot of skill, and because their hockey-fan friends couldn’t stop raving about the game. Now that hockey fans have been somewhat abandoned during this generation, nobody is raving about this game. Non-hockey fans don’t drive sales enough, yet that’s what the suits are banking on.

So yeah, if it’s a money thing, they certainly aren’t using it wisely imo.
  • Playing nhl 12-14, eashl private lobby’s. We always had 10-12 playing some times till 4am. Sure wish we could have those years back in this series, but the game seems to die a little more every year lately.
  • Sega82mega
    4200 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    Playing nhl 12-14, eashl private lobby’s. We always had 10-12 playing some times till 4am. Sure wish we could have those years back in this series, but the game seems to die a little more every year lately.

Maybe has something to do with the youth of today... More available options to do then just one thing. Might be a long shot, I dunno..
  • Sega82mega
    4200 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    And of course, for-profit enterprises want to make money.... how else would they expand with their product and company.

And if your product is good enough - it generates money. Quite simple math.

To be clear, I would never think that they on purpose made the game bad, that sounds ridiculously and has no real meaning.
  • I don't think the problem is that they can't develop a sport like hockey because it is too difficult. How can they come up with Threes and get it so right pretty much straight away (I also really enjoy this) but with the 5-on-5 hockey we have been waiting since the early 90s (nhl 93/94) for a game that everyone is happy with (if your that old of course!). As stated snoop dog, street clothes, and 1's is what they have been working on rather than fixing the problems that need fixing and improving the 5-on-5 gameplay which most hockey fans like myself want.
  • Sega82mega
    4200 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Why Threes work out is becuse its less AI to adjust on the ice. When HUT rivals go to OT its really fun, becuse thoose 1vs1 moments occurs more often.

If you dont talk 5vs5 eashl. Then I think its just to messy, to fast, sticks every were and people that dont try to play hockey becuse its more easy to win if you dont. And that of curse is a problem.

*Threes more room to be creative
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Why Threes work out is becuse its less AI to adjust on the ice. When HUT rivals go to OT its really fun, becuse thoose 1vs1 moments occurs more often.

If you dont talk 5vs5 eashl. Then I think its just to messy, to fast, sticks every were and people that dont try to play hockey becuse its more easy to win if you dont. And that of curse is a problem.

*Threes more room to be creative

Yes I think it's obvious Threes has less ai code as it has 2 less players but I don't think this is why it is much better. I think in 5-on-5 the team/line strategies are what causes a lot of problems. As one example of what I mean: Your first line is set to carry the puck in to the the zone. You have two players close together at the blue line entering the offensive zone. Do they dump the puck in as they should - no - because it is set to 'carry the puck in to the the zone', so what happens is they both enter the zone an end up getting in each others way.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think these strategies are dynamic enough to adapt to situations in the game. Would be good if someone from ea could explain the differences between the Threes and 5-on-5 ai.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Playing nhl 12-14, eashl private lobby’s. We always had 10-12 playing some times till 4am. Sure wish we could have those years back in this series, but the game seems to die a little more every year lately.

Maybe has something to do with the youth of today... More available options to do then just one thing. Might be a long shot, I dunno..

Lobbies were mostly 20+ people. I was one of the few teenagers in there because I wasn’t annoying (hard to find) and was great at playing defense (also hard to find) lol. This is how I got into the VHL which had a mature playerbase focused on realistic hockey. There were house rules in-place to deter exploiting the game.
  • Sega82mega
    4200 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Lobbies were mostly 20+ people. I was one of the few teenagers in there because I wasn’t annoying (hard to find) and was great at playing defense (also hard to find) lol. This is how I got into the VHL which had a mature playerbase focused on realistic hockey. There were house rules in-place to deter exploiting the game.

Sounds like a fantastic way to spend time in life with. Im abit jealous. I save that for my time on residential homes. "give back my PS10, I got friends out there who count on me!"

:cold_sweat: