EA Forums - Banner

Goalies are weak on the blocker side!

I have been playing this for years, and this has been a problem since PS3/Xbox 360 days where opponents will go to the nearby hashmark and shoot blocker side every time, getting a guaranteed goal on the goalie. It drives me wild, especially when the A.I. or human defense are protecting the net to try and block it, though it just goes through them and results in a goal. People have used this tactic for years and goalies seem to be so vulnerable, especially this year where even glove side from the opposite area goes in 95% of the time. It's what caused a lot of us to stop playing.

Replies

• HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    The blocker side is definitely the weak side (it should be weaker as it is for most goalies, it's the heavier piece of equipment to drag up) but low blocker side is pretty abysmal. There's one save animation where the goalie moves his blocker into his body then shoots it out at literally blocker height and it's been this way for years.

It looks as if the goalie is trying to allow the goal in. That one animation needs to be murdered with fire.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    The blocker side is definitely the weak side (it should be weaker as it is for most goalies, it's the heavier piece of equipment to drag up) but low blocker side is pretty abysmal. There's one save animation where the goalie moves his blocker into his body then shoots it out at literally blocker height and it's been this way for years.

It looks as if the goalie is trying to allow the goal in. That one animation needs to be murdered with fire.

Actually, many goalies have or had an amazing blocker side. Stéphane Fiset was one of them, just off the top of my head and he wasn't an "elite" goalie by any means. The problem with blocker side saves for a goalie in real life is that we can mostly just deflect shots away from the net with the blocker, unlike being able to actually grab the puck and stopping the play with the trapper. But in EA's game, goalies don't try to deflect the puck away to the corners enough. Too many times they'll just deflect it to the slot, which no goalie EVER in the history of goaltending would do on purpose. Not as many times as they do in this game but... Goalies Gotta Get Sniped, I guess.

The entire goaltending engine is a huge mess, with goalies (both AI and Human) acting like they're table-top hockey goalies who are there as glorified door stops than actual functional goalies.
  • DeathcoreRitchy3
    48 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Actually, many goalies have or had an amazing blocker side. Stéphane Fiset was one of them, just off the top of my head and he wasn't an "elite" goalie by any means. The problem with blocker side saves for a goalie in real life is that we can mostly just deflect shots away from the net with the blocker, unlike being able to actually grab the puck and stopping the play with the trapper. But in EA's game, goalies don't try to deflect the puck away to the corners enough. Too many times they'll just deflect it to the slot, which no goalie EVER in the history of goaltending would do on purpose. Not as many times as they do in this game but... Goalies Gotta Get Sniped, I guess.

The entire goaltending engine is a huge mess, with goalies (both AI and Human) acting like they're table-top hockey goalies who are there as glorified door stops than actual functional goalies.

Yes and I will say this myself, it's how most of us score! I have done it, as it's basically the only people will do nowadays or do cross crease. The goalies 98% of the time become vulnerable to these tactics and let goals in. I created a video of certain issues in the game, and testing theories that EA deems untrue.

We all know the problems within the game, but never get a say in anything. It all depends on their team and they make the decisions. Therefore I have been pretty much done supporting EA NHL as I feel unappreciated as a paying customer...
    Post edited by DeathcoreRitchy3 on
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yes and I will say this myself, it's how most of us score! I have done it, as it's basically the only people will do nowadays or do cross crease. The goals 98% of the time become vulnerable to these tactics and let goals in. I created a video of certain issues in the game, and testing theories that EA deems untrue.

We all know the problems within the game, but never get a say in anything. It all depends on their team and they make the decisions. Therefore I have been pretty much done supporting EA NHL as I feel unappreciated as a paying customer...

People would shoot more which wouldn result in more “squeaker” goals, and more tips goals, and more screen goals, if goalies were actually good. But, I guess an unscreened slapshot from the blueline is a quality scoring chance. Every piece of data from the last few years disagrees, but 4 minutes, needs scoring, yadda yadda...
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Oh I'm not saying that there aren't goalies extremely proficient in that aspect, but in general for most, the blocker side is typically the weaker side, but it's pretty minimal. Top corner is really the only spot that should have a much higher chance in comparison of glove side to blocker side.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Yeah. I mean ask any real goalie out there, at any level, and they'll all say pretty much the same thing: shots that go grazing our bodies are the toughest to handle. Because the proximity of the shot handcuffs us into a very awkward position. Shots that we have to reach for? Piece of cake.

Shots that pass mere millimetres from our neck? Not so simple...
    Yeah. I mean ask any real goalie out there, at any level, and they'll all say pretty much the same thing: shots that go grazing our bodies are the toughest to handle. Because the proximity of the shot handcuffs us into a very awkward position. Shots that we have to reach for? Piece of cake.

Shots that pass mere millimetres from our neck? Not so simple...

Yeah I'd argue that those shots and just above the pad inside the post are the most challenging. Anything near the ears is ridiculously tough to stop.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I also feel like goalies have a very limited amount of animations for saves. Like maybe two dozen of them all told. They should have at least a dozen per sector, low middle, low right side, low left side, mid right side, mid left side, high left side, high right side and high middle. They should have animations for when the puck is above them. They should have more animations for when the puck is behind them. They should have animations for when the puck goes right to their limbs so that they don't reach out for a shot they could've just held their glove in place to stop. There needs to be more animations that involves goalies using their sticks to deflect shots away.

Goalies in EA's NHL are just grossly inadequate.
  • Remove "on the blocker side" and you will be closer to the truth.

This is part and parcel though to the consistency issue. One minute the goalie can be Dominik Hasek and then he can turn in to a PeeWee C goalie. All in the name of "keeping things competitive". Oh, sorry, that isn't part of the game. Nevermind...
  • i have some crazy tips in vs that like fling across the net from inches away and the goalie can react..why cant he react from straight shots from the blueline!? also why are the goalies always giving up half the net from out there??? looks strange
    I also feel like goalies have a very limited amount of animations for saves. Like maybe two dozen of them all told. They should have at least a dozen per sector, low middle, low right side, low left side, mid right side, mid left side, high left side, high right side and high middle. They should have animations for when the puck is above them. They should have more animations for when the puck is behind them. They should have animations for when the puck goes right to their limbs so that they don't reach out for a shot they could've just held their glove in place to stop. There needs to be more animations that involves goalies using their sticks to deflect shots away.

Goalies in EA's NHL are just grossly inadequate.

Absolutely. And there should be animations dependent on puck velocity as well. Pucks rolling to the goaltender should have a goalie with his paddle down or pucks literally punched away because it's a weak shot aiming for a weak rebound, etc.
  • From my experience in the last few years, I just noticed some typical goals that the goalies let in, that are considered exploits. Yesterday I lost 7-1 because my opponent just did the same tactics over and over and kept shooting blocker side from certain areas nearby the hashmark. My goalie that is a 99 overall kept letting them in. It's been like this for a few games. Same plays, no skill!