EA Forums - Banner

Just another take..

Let's just imagine for a second..

You've finally gotten your friend who has never played NHL or played VERY little in the past few years to buy the game. You're teaching him the ropes and the first 4 games you pull off and win but they're all close and fun, one team even had 850-1200 CR! You jump in a 5th game feeling great, he's really catching on and you get up by 4 goals! Their winger quits, so you tell him to stay as far away from the CPU as possible but suffocate him on defense.. the CPU scores 5 goals on him in 9 minutes and you lose the game. He's now slightly discouraged but plays another.. this time someone backs out after the first goal. You're trying to give him any kind of pointers for playing against cpu, you tell him the CPU does not play by the same rules. You lose again 2-1.. not a single goal scored in either game because of 1 CPU but you beat a team with 2guys over 1,000 CR and an 850.. the other teams have guys in 600's and a CPU.. CPU scores their goals and shuts you down. They are now so frustrated they exit the game and don't want to play anymore.

How do you teach them to play vs CPU? What do you tell them? Does EA want people to play this? It's not a half bad game if the CPU doesn't feel like it's completely cheating you. I see people say that the CPU isn't very good but most of them say they either don't play against them much or they always play with them so they're always boosted by their abilities but only see their lack of positioning.

It sucks I can't play this game with my friends. They like the game if we can get 6-8 people on and play a private game but CPU players just make them all quit and I wait months to play with them again and hope things get better..

I'll say it again.. make CPU worse and people will try to play with 3.. we won't be complaining about CPU so much if there are just less CPU! The people suggesting they're too bad do this because they DEPEND on the CPU to win them games! If they lose they come here to say how bad they are so they can get MORE help. Make them worse and people will give up on them and learn to find other humans to play with..

Replies

• Don’t even get me started...
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Let's just imagine for a second..

You've finally gotten your friend who has never played NHL or played VERY little in the past few years to buy the game. You're teaching him the ropes and the first 4 games you pull off and win but they're all close and fun, one team even had 850-1200 CR! You jump in a 5th game feeling great, he's really catching on and you get up by 4 goals! Their winger quits, so you tell him to stay as far away from the CPU as possible but suffocate him on defense.. the CPU scores 5 goals on him in 9 minutes and you lose the game. He's now slightly discouraged but plays another.. this time someone backs out after the first goal. You're trying to give him any kind of pointers for playing against cpu, you tell him the CPU does not play by the same rules. You lose again 2-1.. not a single goal scored in either game because of 1 CPU but you beat a team with 2guys over 1,000 CR and an 850.. the other teams have guys in 600's and a CPU.. CPU scores their goals and shuts you down. They are now so frustrated they exit the game and don't want to play anymore.

How do you teach them to play vs CPU? What do you tell them? Does EA want people to play this? It's not a half bad game if the CPU doesn't feel like it's completely cheating you. I see people say that the CPU isn't very good but most of them say they either don't play against them much or they always play with them so they're always boosted by their abilities but only see their lack of positioning.

It sucks I can't play this game with my friends. They like the game if we can get 6-8 people on and play a private game but CPU players just make them all quit and I wait months to play with them again and hope things get better..

I'll say it again.. make CPU worse and people will try to play with 3.. we won't be complaining about CPU so much if there are just less CPU! The people suggesting they're too bad do this because they DEPEND on the CPU to win them games! If they lose they come here to say how bad they are so they can get MORE help. Make them worse and people will give up on them and learn to find other humans to play with..

The problem with that is that the CPU is horrendously bad as it is. The solution is not to take something BAD and make it WORSE, but sadly to do as all the other "Top players" and learn how to abuse the AI's weaknesses.

If he has a genuine interest in learning how to play this game, then tell him he needs to practice playing offline against the AI at the harder levels.

Some effective tricks to help you beat the AI:

- Don't be too aggressive trying to get the puck off its stick. The AI has the uncanny ability to read your inputs so if you try to hit it, it's just going to veer away and put you in a bad position. Try to stay in front of it using as little inputs as possible to try to lure it to a vulnerable position so you can safely try to hit it or stick lift it.
    - On offense, try to make the AI chase after the puck. It LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES to chase after the puck regardless of which human is where. Just cycle the puck to the side where the AI is NOT right away. If you wait too long it's going to contain you and steal the puck away on incidental contact every time.
    - DON'T SKATE TOO CLOSE TO THE AI!!! I can't stress this enough. If you get within range of the AI's stick, you're gonna lose the puck. Stay away or pass the puck to another teammate QUICKLY if it starts to chase you. Try to avoid passing the puck to a teammate that's being guarded by an AI player. It sucks for him, but he's more useful as potential bait than giving him the puck that he may end up losing to the Bot.
    - There are certain types of shots that have a very high chance of beating the AI goalie, whether he's rated 65 or 95. One handed Tuck and quick off-foot wrister against the grain work exceedingly well. D2D one-timers also work wonderfully if you cycle the puck quickly enough. Goalie will be hilariously out of position on most of those.

There is no playing HOCKEY in this game. You just have to learn how to cheese with the rest of them. If that's not palatable... Well, there are other games that are actual sports simulations that you can try.
  • I tried to get my buddies back into playing NHL, they like it until they find out some obvious flaws that have plagued the game for years and stop playing. The small improvements they've made aren't enough to keep them back and from selling the game to somebody else.
  • jrago73
    746 posts Member
    They won't do it but the solution is to program better ai decisions and nerf all their super abilities to average so it doesn't feel like they cheat.

The other solutions are putting 2 man teams vs other 2 man teams in 3's and punishing quitters and trolls in EASHL so games stay full. Make sure you hold your breath waiting for that. I don't know if I've ever seen such resistance from a company to fix some of its biggest issues.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »
    They won't do it but the solution is to program better ai decisions and nerf all their super abilities to average so it doesn't feel like they cheat.

The other solutions are putting 2 man teams vs other 2 man teams in 3's and punishing quitters and trolls in EASHL so games stay full. Make sure you hold your breath waiting for that. I don't know if I've ever seen such resistance from a company to fix some of its biggest issues.

giphy.gif
  • The AI is terrible at positioning and reading plays but it's overpowered at using all the mechanics to compensate. If they'd make the AI better at the former it wouldn't need to be as op at the latter.

How to get good? Load up an offline game on superstar and try to hold on to the puck as long as possible without passing in the offensive zone and then do the same but without skating and just by passing.
  • I just feel like making them awful is an easy answer. Forcing people to seek out human teammates (also I'm only speaking on EASHL, a mode made to play with and against humans) this game actually plays pretty well when it's all humans. L2 abuse is a problem, I also have games where either team hits the post a bunch and that sucks but I rarely get too upset or want to quit or feel I got "Ea'd" when I lose to humans. It's when a CPU scores again and again with things humans can't do.

Give more tools to help humans find other humans to play with. Anytime I play against a computer, even when winning I find myself extremely frustrated. Nothing is worse than a cpu that parks himself in front of the goal and anytime you try to shoot he grabs it out of the air and starts skating back to your net with it...

Find a way to get more humans playing on a team and people will likely get more friends to play, people will stop complaining so much about tilt, people will not become so frustrated. Will you get messages about how bad the CPU is in EASHL? YES! I think it's easier to tell people to find teammates though.. the CPU should just be there to fill a hole.. not carry a team. The humans should be doing all of the work.