EA Forums - Banner

Quiting/ trolls

Last night was probably the most frustrated I've ever been with this game. I played drop-in 6's because not many of my friends like to play this anymore.. of the 10 games or so that I played, twice I was given a troll for a goalie so I had to quit. Twice the game went from 6v6 to 6v2, the last time we were up 4-0 in the first and lost 10-4 w/ the CPU scoring EVERY one of their goals. We registered 2 shots in 2 periods after the first. The wingers on my team couldn't get by the CPU defense. Any shot we put on the CPU would snag before it got to the net. "100mph slap? I'll just take that" they made it hard enough just to get out of our own zone. I did what the community said and just positioned myself in front of the CPU on def.. the pass to him went through my legs.. then he shot through my body.. I was completely useless. CPU can also make the puck stop mid pass now so that they can intercept it even when out of position, cool!

Once we had a player that just sat offside so we were forced to quit again.. so we lost to 2 troll goalies, 2 to CPU ****, 1 to a skater troll then we were beaten straight up once (after I was already too frustrated) so we probably went 4-6 I was not mad at all when I lost to the team that stayed in the game (they had 1 CPU which was frustrating because he stopped a LOT of our chances) but we had chances and felt we could have won. With 4 CPU's even up 6 goals I will pause and message everyone I can to play conservative and not even attempt to score.. it's useless. Everyone plays aggressive and we give up 8 goals in 2 periods.

I know CPU positions poorly, but they're so fast that it rarely matters if you play with even a single bad player. You will be immediately exposed.

I honestly believe that anyone suggesting the CPU isn't that good plays with the CPU as often as they can and don't want EA to drop them so they can continue to get easy wins. There are teams in threes that will ONLY play with a cpu because of how good they are.. they will let the CPU play d because he's a 7' mascot and takes up almost a third of our offensive zone and they will go 100-2 in one day. They are decent players themselves but they have a mascot that will bail them out. With a third skater they are no better than 700-800cr.

Something NEEDS to be done about trolls, CPU's, people who quit, and people who hide behind the net if this game is EVER to gain popularity.

We've given a million and one options for this. EA needs to pick one. I get that a cool down for quiting, voting to kick, etc is not the best and can be a problem itself but it's FAR better than what we're currently dealing with. I would NEVER consider purchasing this game if it was my first time playing.

Maybe just make CPU's worse for specific modes (drop-in and threes) make them better if that's what HUT players and eashl Club players prefer? In threes eliminator and drop in I don't know anyone that wants them "better" one weak link in drop-in and you're better off quiting if you don't have at least 3 goals per period cushion and it won't be fun finishing the game if you do! Eliminator the Mascots are WAY too big and the ice way too small that they take up WAY too much room. They also don't follow any of the same physical rules that humans do.. I'll play only eliminator if they just made them worse in that one mode.. or only drop-in.. as much as I harp on the poor player base I would fracture it even more if we could just make all the modes again with bad CPU.. that's how good they are! I'm still waiting for dev's to Livestream or show gameplay footage of how they're beating the CPU in EASHL. I can beat the CPU offline.. any difficulty.. in EASHL it's different, and you also have to hope everyone is on the same page and doesn't make mistakes but they will.. DO SOMETHING so this game is playable when you're up against the CPU and do SOMETHING about trolls. How can you let a goalie come out of the post and keep getting penalties or lay down and give up goals until his team quits? Then we can't even get a master list of trolls on the forums to protect players who want to just play a hockey game? Such a poorly run game and community, the sales of this game show just how poorly run the community and poor direction this game is headed. -rant over- lost 80 cr in one night and only felt I lost 1 game.

Replies

• Been an issue for the last 2 years with Drop-in. People don't like the way the game is built so decide to troll instead. Majority of us who play regularly didn't want the outdoor hockey thing, we wanted to have it like before with indoor hockey and team selection. Why not make the outdoor thing and arcade mode selection? Almost 99% of drop-in games are troll infested so I try to avoid it. Would be nice to have the community lobbies back like how it was on PS3/Xbox 360. Yes there were trolls there to but we could put a password on a lobby preventing them from entering and we got some pretty good games. But Nope EA decided they didn't like it...

Even club the way things are kind of sucks. People can join them off others friends list, which was a major issue with a club I was on. Recently joined a new club and we got a troll pick the Captain spot as a goalie and has been sitting there for almost 5 weeks. Must of turned his power saving mode off on PS4. We have been forced to start a temp club until this clown is gone...
  • EA_Aljo
    3193 posts EA Community Manager
    edited July 2020
    Been an issue for the last 2 years with Drop-in. People don't like the way the game is built so decide to troll instead. Majority of us who play regularly didn't want the outdoor hockey thing, we wanted to have it like before with indoor hockey and team selection. Why not make the outdoor thing and arcade mode selection? Almost 99% of drop-in games are troll infested so I try to avoid it. Would be nice to have the community lobbies back like how it was on PS3/Xbox 360. Yes there were trolls there to but we could put a password on a lobby preventing them from entering and we got some pretty good games. But Nope EA decided they didn't like it...

Even club the way things are kind of sucks. People can join them off others friends list, which was a major issue with a club I was on. Recently joined a new club and we got a troll pick the Captain spot as a goalie and has been sitting there for almost 5 weeks. Must of turned his power saving mode off on PS4. We have been forced to start a temp club until this clown is gone...

Can you send me a private message with their PSN ID? I'll see if there's anything we can do to force them from the dressing room.

Edit: I just found out you can hit Y/Triangle from the dressing room to get the player list. From there you can boot them.
    Post edited by EA_Aljo on
  • Moxrox84
    319 posts Member
    Remove CR from win/loss record (at least in drop in, but I'd prefer across the board), require a base CR in order to play drop-in. For arguments sake, put the threshold at 300.

We all start at a 500 CR, so in order to drop into the 200's, you either have no clue what you're doing, or you're a griefer/troll. Either way, force them into an offline training mode, i.e. Be A Pro and force them to up their CR above 300 in order to start playing online drop in again.

However, I stress the importance of unbinding CR from the win/loss record. There are a lot of folks like me that don't always get the chance to play as much club, so drop in tends to be our primary source of games. Just because my CR shows a 520 right now doesn't mean I can't make a 1200 CR RW cry in his corn flakes. My CR should rise in a game where my ratings are 80/100/95, for example. Sure, maybe we lost in OT, but explain to me why I had a great game and still lose 20 CR?

Require a modicum of skill level rating to play online and you'll wipe out the troll crowd real quick.
  • IceLion68
    1607 posts Member
    I did a detailed post on some anti-griefing/trolling ideas... I will see if I can dig it up and repost it here. I agree this is a huge problem
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1607 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Found it - would love to hear your thoughts...

AntiGriefing
    Bring back anti-griefing features or at least provide a player-reporting/rating/avoidance mechanism. Some stuff is people being dorks while others are people just playing the game they way like and ignoring its a team game.
    I am not a big fan of vote to kick though I understand why some people are. I just wouldn't want someone (me, for example :D ) to be kicked (either by vote or by computer calculation) for simply having a "bad game" - we all have them.
    While admittedly a lot of work to implement, I think the following two tier system would be cool :
    Tier 1 Offenses
    Flagrant and repeated instances of the following:
    • forced/bad passes
    • failing to pass
    • "cowboy" play (trying to do everything)
    • turnovers
    • icing the puck
    • going offside
    • penalties (1-5)
    Results in:
    • Frequent onscreen pointers/reminders of what to do/not to do. The worse they play, the more intrusive and frequent the reminders until they start following the "Coaches advice"
    • If they do not correct the behaviour they get benched for a short period and a compy takes their spot
    • poor teamplay rating

Tier 2 Offenses
    2-3 instances of the following:
    • goalie skating past the blue line
    • goalie leaving the net on breakaways or rushes
    • shooting on own net
    • laying down on the ice
    • 6+ penalties

Results in:
    • teamplay warning, followed by
    • being kicked from the game
    • poor teamplay rating

I think a persistent rating system like in the old days of cards might help linked to a rewards system. A player's teamplay drops too low? They can no longer play CHEL (drop-ins, they can play with their club any way they like LOL) until they get their team play back up.

Or/And

Have achievements/perks/unlocks/attributes/etc tied to components like:
    • goals
    • assists
    • pass percentage
    • saves (goalie)
    • save percentage (goalie)
    • positioning (goalie)

And perhaps "handicaps" for
    • turnovers
    • icing the puck
    • going offside
    • penalties (maybe all or perhaps certain more egregious ones)
    • quitting games

Rewards can be earned for reaching/maintaining certain milestones or levels for these things. Those rewards could also be taken away if their play falls below the level. Rewards could be aesthetic items or an attribute/special ability. Perhaps even special ones for this purpose separate from the normal attributes and perks.
    Handicaps can be cleared by cleaning up their play. Maybe a as a measure of number of per minutes/games played for example
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • I dunno I think if a goalie leaves and crosses blue line they need to be kicked right away.. if they leave too often they need kicked.. if someone stays offside too long or are offside too many times they need kicked. Out of 6 games tonight, 5 games I played with a troll.. 820 cr down to about 700 in games I couldn't win. Then got cr glitched in the ONLY club game I played and I had enough. 3 times I had the puck stop glitch that they added with the recent patch, so that was cool too!!
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Remove CR from win/loss record (at least in drop in, but I'd prefer across the board), require a base CR in order to play drop-in. For arguments sake, put the threshold at 300.

We all start at a 500 CR, so in order to drop into the 200's, you either have no clue what you're doing, or you're a griefer/troll. Either way, force them into an offline training mode, i.e. Be A Pro and force them to up their CR above 300 in order to start playing online drop in again.

However, I stress the importance of unbinding CR from the win/loss record. There are a lot of folks like me that don't always get the chance to play as much club, so drop in tends to be our primary source of games. Just because my CR shows a 520 right now doesn't mean I can't make a 1200 CR RW cry in his corn flakes. My CR should rise in a game where my ratings are 80/100/95, for example. Sure, maybe we lost in OT, but explain to me why I had a great game and still lose 20 CR?

Require a modicum of skill level rating to play online and you'll wipe out the troll crowd real quick.

Honestly I really like this. Add BaP to WoC. If someone gets below 400 they have to get cr back above it. BaP can only help you get to 5-600. You HAVE to play your position correctly to earn CR. It's embarrassing that this team can't find ANY solutions to trolls.. it's unbelievable how many plague the lobbies.. I hope they don't wonder why this game sells so poorly.. bad/ super human AI, cr glitchers, and trolls. Possibly the worst online community I've ever seen. A great game if you can get 6v6 and everyone wants to play correctly!!
  • EA_Aljo
    3193 posts EA Community Manager
    I dunno I think if a goalie leaves and crosses blue line they need to be kicked right away.. if they leave too often they need kicked.. if someone stays offside too long or are offside too many times they need kicked. Out of 6 games tonight, 5 games I played with a troll.. 820 cr down to about 700 in games I couldn't win. Then got cr glitched in the ONLY club game I played and I had enough. 3 times I had the puck stop glitch that they added with the recent patch, so that was cool too!!

Can you explain what the puck stop glitch is or get some video of it?