EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: The Return of the NHL Season!

Prev1
EA_Blueberry
4773 posts EA Community Manager
9yub9fvfrbge.png

What's up, NHL fans!

Last week we went over some venues and presentation features in this Let's Talk discussion if you still wanted to jump in. Gathered great feedback from the community such as arena types, cinematic camera angle shots, and the arena environment. Thanks for participating!

We're going to mix it up this week and go outside of the game, but still talk about the game of hockey but at the professional level. The NHL season returns! The NHL Stanley Cup Qualifiers kick off the Return to Play plan on August 1.

The Stanley Cup Qualifiers will use eight best-of-5 series and two four-team round-robins to determine the field and seeding for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Any predictions on who barely makes the playoff cut and who takes home the Stanley Cup? What do you think about the overall structure of this season and would you want it as a potential option in future NHL titles? Any games you're really looking forward to?

Let's discuss the return of the NHL season!

Relevant links:
(Picture Source)

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Who will win Alexis Lafrenière and who will loose him?

Nah, so wonderful be able to put on the TV to watch some playoffs in the middle of the summer..interesting to see how the show will go without any audience. Hopefully we can here the sweet talk on ice.

I'm going to cheer for Canada, habs or Canucks is fine by me!

Cheers for hockey!
  • Hard to tell what the ECF will be due to the seeding but PHI-TB-TOR have the best shot imo and I’m a Caps fan. Caps are slightly out of that mix due to defense and goaltending, but very food offense. Boston will surprise in the wrong way. Defense is shakey and their bottom six isn’t great. Never should’ve traded Heinen

West I’ve got COL/STL and slight chance of VGK going far. Like Boston though they don’t have the bottom six or defense. West is weak outside of those three so would be shocked if a team like DAL or WPG went far
  • Toronto over Boston? Toronto might have a deeper offense but Boston is much better on defense and in the net. Tampa might be the best team in the Eastern Conference though, they are very deep everywhere. But they did choke last year against Columbus (the same Columbus team that the Bruins made quick work of, though it wasn't easy).

I think you are discounting the Bruins @GramerProfesur because they have the experience and the depth to get things done. The only line that won't contribute points could be the fourth line but most teams have so-so fourth lines.

I think the biggest X-Factor for the Bruins will be Tuukka Rask, he was great last year until game-7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, but he fractured his finger during the break so that could be an underlying storyline for Boston. Especially if Rask looks bad and Halak has to come in and play. Not that Halak has been bad, in fact, he has been good.

I guess I am much higher on the Bruins chances than anyone else, which is fine, everyone has their own opinions. But I think the Bruins have a deep team and a lot of the players have experience in big games which should help them.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    You could never underestimate big brown Bruins.. if pasta is hungry..you never know what to expect.

Tampa don't seem to have it...blue jackets is a outsider.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    You could never underestimate big brown Bruins.. if pasta is hungry..you never know what to expect.

Tampa doesn’t seem to have it? I’d argue they looked like the best team in the exhibition without Stamkos/Hedman. Absolutely incredible. Not sure they can be stopped to be honest, unless major injury

I just really don’t like the Bruins trade for Ritchie. I love Kase but he probably wasn’t the solution either. They needed a Kreider or Toffoli. I don’t think they have the depth scoring needed. Team was significantly better last season
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Tampa doesn’t seem to have it? I’d argue they looked like the best team in the exhibition without Stamkos/Hedman. Absolutely incredible. Not sure they can be stopped to be honest, unless major injury

I just really don’t like the Bruins trade for Ritchie. I love Kase but he probably wasn’t the solution either. They needed a Kreider or Toffoli. I don’t think they have the depth scoring needed. Team was significantly better last season

Yeah they definitely got the player's but do they have the team/mentality to go all the way. Last two seasons they don't seem to handle the pressure. But of course, if they do........
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    But something telling me that this playoff will not be like anything else we've ever seen. Could go anyway.. but pure gold it starts tomorrow. Whoo-ha! :smiley:
  • nyi95
    180 posts Member
    Let's go Islanders!!

Now be kind folks......
  • islanders fisherman club! Lee is pure magic in the game, great hands.

I have absolutely nothing against them..and if you like them too, even better. Hope you get a good run in the playoffs!
  • Dominik Kubalik is really something!
  • EA_Blueberry
    4773 posts EA Community Manager
    Surprised as many Boston lost. I watched the Penguins game and talk about an upset. They seemed in control the whole game and a luck rebound went in the Canadians favor. Kudos to them keeping pace the whole game. The Penguins kept passing it to Letang near the blue line to send it in for a rebound/deflection and never got it.

Talk about a crazy goal from Tuck though. Skip to 3:40: https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/vgk-vs-ari/2020/07/30/2019011012#game=2019011012,game_state=final
  • Yea saw that game too, penguins felt faster and more dangerous near price but habs hold on tight. Alot of pressure on sid and Co. next game, 2-0 in this best of 5 will be really tough.

Two penalty shots..

Its okey without any crowd but I miss them, especially like this, in the playoffs.
  • Nice going habs!

Petry, I love thoose goals, what a sharpshooter.

Byron deserves a card other then hes basic gold..

1 goal my "NHL20 reflex" said goalie interference hehe

Great game to watch!
  • Spoil alert: Colorado takes it all...
  • Penguins startin to be old..

Phillip Danault heavily underrated, best C in this game serie.
  • The No. 1 overall pick.. Who will get Alexis Lafi... thrilling.
  • You guys still follow the playoffs?...

Startin to get use to see without any crowd, the players look the same, same intensity..

Habs didnt make it so now im going to cheer for canucks, but Vegas is not to play with.... but I still think Colorado will do it, all tough tampa is going strong.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    You guys still follow the playoffs?...

Startin to get use to see without any crowd, the players look the same, same intensity..

Habs didnt make it so now im going to cheer for canucks, but Vegas is not to play with.... but I still think Colorado will do it, all tough tampa is going strong.

My money is on vegas. One, because i HATE the nucks lol but two, they just look like a team that is hungry. Especially after their inaugural playoff run haha. Also, i have the round 1 Alex tuch card and dudes a beast lol.
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    You guys still follow the playoffs?...

My money is on vegas. One, because i HATE the nucks lol but two, they just look like a team that is hungry. Especially after their inaugural playoff run haha. Also, i have the round 1 Alex tuch card and dudes a beast lol.

Yeah Vegas aint playing around, I like to follow Reaves vs Roussel, no bromance there....

Alex "x-factor" Tuch, he's good, real good! 🤤👌
  • Avs' powerplay is unreal!

Makar will be a true superstar.

Fun game 7 to watch.