EA Forums - Banner

Inconsistency, lack of direction, lack of true depth, lack of lack, no excuses

Prev1345678
Ah yes, Wednesday. A good day. However, until I get busy later, I am bored. Therefore, I am providing many videos showing some funny (but rather sad) deficiencies this game has. Sure, we show them all the time. Sure, our petitions are met with excuses. Sure, free-flowing information isn't really a thing between the company and the customers. It matters not. This game is really ugly.

Why is this game more aggravating than satisfying? Why is this game laughable when it comes to "skill"? Why do people who actually play hockey hate this? Well, cuties, I have some good ones for ya.

Funny video 1.

(Goaltending is In A gOoD pLaCe)
Notice how the goalie cannot control a muffin backhander from the corner AND kicks it right into the middle. I coach 10 year old's, who have never played, who can stop this. "NHL". More like Squirt 20. Pathetic. No excuse.

Funny video 2.
When the game decides it wants to screw you over, stuff like this happens. "But what are your sliders?" My sliders are "You shouldn't be able to stick lift through a body, be unsuccessful at it, and STILL cause puck loss". There is no ice-tilt...there is just a bunch of under the hood stuff EA refuses to remedy.

Funny video 3.
The physics are so awesome in this game that incidental contact is like the Berlin Wall. Pro tip (for all the cheaters out there): if you want to beat high level people, run into them and prevent them from moving. Forget checking, simply cut them off without checking and you can slow down anyone. Either make animations for evasion or take this absolute TRASH mechanic out.

Funny video 4.
Sure, I can't have instant replay online because...reasons. But...the fact of the matter is the dude was too far away to induce a trip there. He did not score on the PS. Guess what move he tried? Yep, the backhand move you see 95% of the time. Just so we know, tripping accounts for 8.9% of penalties in real life....not 95%....no excuse except EA handicaps everything.

Funny video 5.
Yeah...nice "anticipation"... @VeNOM2099 has made his point over and over and over and over and over and over and over for years know about how urine-poor the goalies are in this game and this is just another example. Never has that ever happened in the history of the world.

Funny video 6.
You can intercept passes not looking at the play, you can hardly pass through opponents triangles...but when you actually do time something perfectly...it doesn't work. Who would have thought? As is tradition, EA NHL is completely Bass Ackwards.

Funny video 7.
Mmmmmhmmm, another unstoppable muffin!!!!! Seriously. This can be a meta in and of itself. Remember kids, to get a rebound do the opposite of what they tell you. Shoot softly. "It's really hard to stop that stuff and control it" - Stevie Wonder

Funny video 8.
It is true. My angle recording that was poor. I put about as much effort into my recording angle as EA does into their goalies. #illscratchyourbackifyouscratchmine

Funny video 9.
Yeah, skating into a defender is the recipe for success in hockey. My mistake, let me correct myself. Skating into a defender is a recipe for success in EA hockey.

Funny video 10.
Nobody gets tripped like this...ever. "ItS nOt FaIr DeFeNdErS cAn PoKe ChEcK" - gamechangers, streamers, crybabies

Funny video 11.
In case anyone asks, my strategies are set to "Easy zone entries are easy"

Funny video 12.
Nice angle the AI guy took there. "Strategy".

Funny video 13.
Physics are so good. Impenetrable force. I am stuck!!!!!! Help!!!!!

Funny video 14.
Again, you can intercept hard passes not facing the play but you cannot when you are in good position to actually do something. "Reaction time". LOL. Yeah, okay guys. Reaction time.

Funny video 15.
Another easy but failed interception. "You were moving". Yeah, sure, sorry it is impossible to finely maneuver your guys in this game.

Funny video 16.
Probably one of the few times a trip would actually be called. Nah, instead you can't play defense because..attributes...and gliding...and stuff.

Funny video 17.
So...I didn't set my strategies to "bunch up". Even better...the AI passed it...backwards...through 3 guys...LOL.

Funny video 18.
Not only did I deflect it (It only moved 1/4 inch) but I then, instead of being able to smack it out of there, tip it in my own net. Sweet.

Funny video 19.
"Reaction time". I open up, get the Dman to commit his stick towards the net, but he had the wear withal to be able to tip this pass. Come on.

Funny video 20.
The best strategy is to skate directly into a defender. You will get the puck back because...Ea.

Funny video 21.
Hmmm. Under the hood stuff? The puck needs to always be attached to something? How many times do we see a player get checked and still be able to acquire the puck?

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. As does everyone else. But I always ask myself; Does it even matter?

Cheers everyone. At all costs avoid this game.

Replies

• Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Deleted. No need to beat the dead, dying horse
  • yeah. this summary is not summer relax for EA team I hope B)
    it is not good if Beta will show the same!
  • This original post started to trigger ptsd and I had to stop after about the 5th video. Totally showing what’s wrong with this game
  • This original post started to trigger ptsd and I had to stop after about the 5th video. Totally showing what’s wrong with this game

As I was doing this I became sad. Followed by asking myself "why do I spend money on this?"
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Ah yes, Wednesday. A good day. However, until I get busy later, I am bored. Therefore, I am providing many videos showing some funny (but rather sad) deficiencies this game has. Sure, we show them all the time. Sure, our petitions are met with excuses. Sure, free-flowing information isn't really a thing between the company and the customers. It matters not. This game is really ugly.

Why is this game more aggravating than satisfying? Why is this game laughable when it comes to "skill"? Why do people who actually play hockey hate this? Well, cuties, I have some good ones for ya.

SNIP...

Thank you.

Thank you for posting this and making me realize what a horrible, HORRIBLE mistake I was about to make; I was debating whether to re-install the game again because I missed playing hockey. After viewing all the replays you posted, I am glad to say I came to my senses and will NOT do so.

To all those that cry "ice tilt" and "dda" and think EA is purposely making you win or lose games based on your "skill", just look at this post. It's clear they have trouble just coding the game to work properly. How can anyone believe that they can successfully create an intelligent, hidden code that determines who wins and loses based on how you play when the game itself, at its most basic core, can't even play 5% like the sport it's trying to represent??

Is it probable? Sure... I guess. But after 20+ years of this, I've come to realize that the more probable cause is that this game is just bad. It's always been bad. It'll always be bad until someone at EA decides to go with a new philosophy and make their hockey game actually play like... y'know... Hockey.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

SNIP...

Thank you.

Thank you for posting this and making me realize what a horrible, HORRIBLE mistake I was about to make; I was debating whether to re-install the game again because I missed playing hockey. After viewing all the replays you posted, I am glad to say I came to my senses and will NOT do so.

To all those that cry "ice tilt" and "dda" and think EA is purposely making you win or lose games based on your "skill", just look at this post. It's clear they have trouble just coding the game to work properly. How can anyone believe that they can successfully create an intelligent, hidden code that determines who wins and loses based on how you play when the game itself, at its most basic core, can't even play 5% like the sport it's trying to represent??

Is it probable? Sure... I guess. But after 20+ years of this, I've come to realize that the more probable cause is that this game is just bad. It's always been bad. It'll always be bad until someone at EA decides to go with a new philosophy and make their hockey game actually play like... y'know... Hockey.

Agreed 100% . I never thought this game was going to get this bad until recently I noticed some issues while live streaming. My viewers even seen some issues wrong with the game. I was up 7-2, no lag and my A.I. was dominating. Get to the 3rd and there was a stutter in gameplay while I was going into my opponents offensive zone. Seemed like a catch me up spike that has happened quite often. After this my A.I. had delay and it took a whistle to get to normal. Look at my network performance and it was all good. Average response was 17 milliseconds. Highest at 23. The coding must have caused a lot of this! There is a C++ error that needs to be fixed. If NHL 21 is like 20, consider me gone from buying another EA Sports NHL product.
  • I dont think EA team is bad....

I don't think it's good enough. You need someone who will tell the individual program department: this will do it for you, remove it because this is no longer hockey and it does not belong to hockey ... do you do hockey?
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    I dont think EA team is bad....

I don't think it's good enough. You need someone who will tell the individual program department: this will do it for you, remove it because this is no longer hockey and it does not belong to hockey ... do you do hockey?

I don't think they are bad either. In fact, I would bet there are some brilliant people there. When you leave problems unresolved long enough and continue to build over top of them, this is the result. The mechanics do not suck separately but when they are trying to work together there is clearly a conflict.

SNIP...

Thank you.

Don't make the mistake I did. Gave it a few days and am like, no way, can't do it anymore.

Funny enough, I play in a Mil-Sim clan and the game is so difficult. It brings me joy to play it. This game, easier in concept, actually bothers me.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

SNIP...

Thank you.

Don't make the mistake I did. Gave it a few days and am like, no way, can't do it anymore.

Funny enough, I play in a Mil-Sim clan and the game is so difficult. It brings me joy to play it. This game, easier in concept, actually bothers me.

Absolutely. I play F1 2020 now, almost daily. And even though it's not a 100% simulation or difficult like iRacing, it's still very challenging at the higher difficulty levels and settings.

But what's even more is that, like the better sports games out there, it recreates the feeling of actually being there. It's what makes games like NBA 2K20 or MLB the Show so great.

When I play NBA 2K, it feels like I'm playing basketball. When I play F1 2020, it feels like I'm in an F1 race. When I play(ed) NHL 20?... It doesn't feel anything like playing hockey. Not at any level, amateur or professional. Not even shinny at the outside rinks I used to go to in the winter when I was young.

I feel for the dev team. They try really hard. But I don't think there's anything they can do to make this game have any semblance to the sport. It's really sad...
  • That un-funny video 5 is so ugly.. Turn away all you got, bump the board, and off we go for a short side. They deserve to loose the puck when they crash the board.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    Great post Stove. Unfortunately i think someone higher up is making the decisions. I'm pretty sure the dev team is even shaking their heads at the way this game is flawed. Remember the nhl 19 beta? I'm almost certain the guy or guys who proposed that type of hockey were voted down or plain got fired,lol.

Even with slider sets( ty oslik,bf1, etc.) I can't get through a game. It just feels soooooo boring. Imagine, hockey....boring, lol.

I was using osliks last slider set he posted and the game felt like it was moving at ludicrous speed!(spaceballs,lol) yes oslik,i turned it off and on again, multiple times to no avail. Sad.

Guess we'll have to hope for the best boys but, that's a lot of
    hoping.
  • EA_Aljo
    2698 posts EA Community Manager
    The intent is not to have unrealistic events occur in the game. Being a video game though, it's going to happen. We'll probably never have (or at least it'll be a long ways off) a completely realistic hockey game. Comparing it to other sports like basketball or baseball is fine, but you also have to consider how vastly different hockey is from those sports and how difficult that is to replicate in a video game. If it were as easy as people seem to think, it would have been done. The dev team is continually working to improve realism while keeping the game accessible to our diverse playerbase.
  • Nhl 20 is much or at least a bit, diffrent from anything else we got in the last couple of years. I think this is what we need to have one year for it to be even better in next (21).

Its no problem to find this type of videos but on another hand, ther is some amazing moments in this game too. Get rid of the crap and keep the beauty, polish up everything in between and add some great new features. Then I think we all will be good.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The intent is not to have unrealistic events occur in the game. Being a video game though, it's going to happen. We'll probably never have (or at least it'll be a long ways off) a completely realistic hockey game. Comparing it to other sports like basketball or baseball is fine, but you also have to consider how vastly different hockey is from those sports and how difficult that is to replicate in a video game. If it were as easy as people seem to think, it would have been done. The dev team is continually working to improve realism while keeping the game accessible to our diverse playerbase.

It doesn't have to be completely realistic though. The game has to hit all the right notes in order to make the user think he's experiencing what the game is based on.

In this case, EA's NHL is supposed to resemble Hockey, but it doesn't. None of what goes into hockey, be it the venues, the crowds, the announcers or the gameplay, none of it makes the user feel like he's playing the actual sport. There is no challenge to succeed, other than to find the easiest glitch/but to exploit and run with it. Everything is dumbed down to keep things "balanced" but in the end it makes the game unbalanced because EVERYONE, no matter their knowledge or skill can succeed. Instead of making players work for their rewards, just give it to them.

That's the philosophy of this game. That's where it's all wrong. You need to reward people for putting in time and effort into getting better. But you take that away, because "it's not fair if YOU'VE been playing this game for 4 months and are good at it, but someone who just picks up the game gets massacred", so let's just let anyone do anything at anytime and be rewarded.

It doesn't have to be completely realistic though. The game has to hit all the right notes in order to make the user think he's experiencing what the game is based on.

In this case, EA's NHL is supposed to resemble Hockey, but it doesn't. None of what goes into hockey, be it the venues, the crowds, the announcers or the gameplay, none of it makes the user feel like he's playing the actual sport. There is no challenge to succeed, other than to find the easiest glitch/but to exploit and run with it. Everything is dumbed down to keep things "balanced" but in the end it makes the game unbalanced because EVERYONE, no matter their knowledge or skill can succeed. Instead of making players work for their rewards, just give it to them.

That's the philosophy of this game. That's where it's all wrong. You need to reward people for putting in time and effort into getting better. But you take that away, because "it's not fair if YOU'VE been playing this game for 4 months and are good at it, but someone who just picks up the game gets massacred", so let's just let anyone do anything at anytime and be rewarded.

@VeNOM2099 , correct me if I am mistaken but isn't Rocket League one of the most popular games out there? Is it not also Rocket League that has a pretty large disparity in user skill level?

Weird, it's almost like EA deliberately patronizes everyone who plays the game expecting every single player to be mush.
  • EA_Aljo

There are always going to be glitches and exploits. We can't really change human nature. When you play someone that doesn't use them, it's a much different feeling game and definitely more fun. I'd much rather play hockey than focus on stopping their repeated attempts at short side snipes.

I can't agree that everyone, no matter their skill or knowledge can succeed. For one, you're saying they need to know how to glitch and exploit the game. These are things new players aren't going to know. As far as hockey skill goes, I think that's very usable, but people get frustrated with it. They choose not to pass because they get intercepted too easily. Is that the fault of the game or the player? Why is someone consistently passing into traffic? If they are, why aren't they utilizing the saucer pass more? We hear complaints that there's not enough cycling and setting up good plays. I've had many EASHL clubs over the years where cycling was an important part of our success. The worst teams I've been on are where forwards insist on forcing passes into traffic as well as driving to the net through 3 defenders.

I also think putting time into getting better is rewarded and I'm not talking about learning exploits. Having hockey knowledge is one thing, but executing it is another. When you have a team full of humans in EASHL, it's a lot easier since you're not relying on AI to be in the right position all the time. People don't normally pick up this game and have it mastered in moments. It can take weeks, months or years. Then you have to keep adapting to gameplay changes that are made every year. I'm not saying the game is a perfect recreation of hockey, but I also don't think it's the opposite where it doesn't resemble real hockey at all. Which is a common complaint.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

There are always going to be glitches and exploits. We can't really change human nature. When you play someone that doesn't use them, it's a much different feeling game and definitely more fun. I'd much rather play hockey than focus on stopping their repeated attempts at short side snipes.

I can't agree that everyone, no matter their skill or knowledge can succeed. For one, you're saying they need to know how to glitch and exploit the game. These are things new players aren't going to know. As far as hockey skill goes, I think that's very usable, but people get frustrated with it. They choose not to pass because they get intercepted too easily. Is that the fault of the game or the player? Why is someone consistently passing into traffic? If they are, why aren't they utilizing the saucer pass more? We hear complaints that there's not enough cycling and setting up good plays. I've had many EASHL clubs over the years where cycling was an important part of our success. The worst teams I've been on are where forwards insist on forcing passes into traffic as well as driving to the net through 3 defenders.

I also think putting time into getting better is rewarded and I'm not talking about learning exploits. Having hockey knowledge is one thing, but executing it is another. When you have a team full of humans in EASHL, it's a lot easier since you're not relying on AI to be in the right position all the time. People don't normally pick up this game and have it mastered in moments. It can take weeks, months or years. Then you have to keep adapting to gameplay changes that are made every year. I'm not saying the game is a perfect recreation of hockey, but I also don't think it's the opposite where it doesn't resemble real hockey at all. Which is a common complaint.

1. No doubt, it is sad.
    2. Both. The game allows people who have no business picking passes off to pick passes off. I.E. looking away and out of position you can still make a difference on D...which is ridiculous.
    3. How often do you get to run overlaps in the neutral zone unless you skate out of your way to FORCE a common hockey play? Very little? How often do you see goaltenders flubbing the easy muffins? Way more than it should happen? I agree, Aljo, it is not the complete opposite of hockey. It is the complete opposite of high level hockey. This game looks like the teams I coach IRL. I coach 8-12 year olds...
  • EA_Aljo

1. No doubt, it is sad.
    2. Both. The game allows people who have no business picking passes off to pick passes off. I.E. looking away and out of position you can still make a difference on D...which is ridiculous.
    3. How often do you get to run overlaps in the neutral zone unless you skate out of your way to FORCE a common hockey play? Very little? How often do you see goaltenders flubbing the easy muffins? Way more than it should happen? I agree, Aljo, it is not the complete opposite of hockey. It is the complete opposite of high level hockey. This game looks like the teams I coach IRL. I coach 8-12 year olds...

2. There's been a lot of improvement here. Yes, sometimes you still see a pass get picked off, but the update that went in several months ago helped a lot here.

3. You also have to consider that most people probably play way more games than there are in an actual NHL season. Goalies flub shots in the NHL as well, but you also probably don't experience several real world games every day. I'm not saying golies are perfect by any means, but muffins and partial saves are a part of everyday hockey.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2020

There will always be glitches and exploits, true. But most other competitive games see them patched immediately to either nerf their success or just plain ol' removed from the game. Games like the aforementioned Rocket League, which are free to play, have constant patches coming almost every month. Psygnosis isn't even half of the size that the NHL team within EA is. But they don't let their game go unchecked. They are constantly looking at how their game performs and adjust accordingly. When something is overpowered and skews the balance of a game, they fix it. When glitches and or exploits are found, they remove them. Every other game company gets this. Why doesn't EA?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out WHY the EA NHL community is probably one of the most toxic in all videogaming: it's because EA actively enables the toxicity. They allow players to continuously use exploits and cheap tactics that are the result of coding errors or malfunctions without addressing them. They allow players to use derogatory, discriminating, hurtful, misogynistic and in some cases downright RACIST names for their players or teams without any type of penalty. They allow players to cheat by causing pause or back out glitches that rob others of their hard earned victories without any retribution. They allow trolls to make teams with dark (or light jerseys) for both home and away, or allow to make goal posts that blend into the ice, just so that they can grief others they play against.

EA allows toxicity in their game, so the people that play it will also be toxic.

Who cares if all 12 players on the ice have the same jerseys, just play! Who cares if the goalies can't tell where the goal and where the ice is, they don't really matter anyway! Who cares how a person plays, the important thing is they THEY WIN!!

Things will NEVER change, unless you are WILLING and WANT them to change.