EA Forums - Banner

NHL doesnt prompt HDR

I'm curious why NHL doesnt automatically prompt HDR. With my new setup games like Ghost of Tsushima, MLB the Show, NBA 2k etc... will automatically upconvert to HDR once loading up the game.

For whatever reason NHL does not. I literally have to force HDR in the PS menu by adjusting HDR settings then launching NHL. Only then does NHL look significantly better.

Is NHL not native HDR and this is the only workaround?

Replies

• I dont know. Bought a 4k tv and a PRO, was hoping for some clear difference. But nah, same old.. Hopefully ps5 will bring something new to the table.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm curious why NHL doesnt automatically prompt HDR. With my new setup games like Ghost of Tsushima, MLB the Show, NBA 2k etc... will automatically upconvert to HDR once loading up the game.

For whatever reason NHL does not. I literally have to force HDR in the PS menu by adjusting HDR settings then launching NHL. Only then does NHL look significantly better.

Is NHL not native HDR and this is the only workaround?
    It's not.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_enhanced_games
    Edit: And just noticed you're on PS but according to this list it's the same...
    https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps4-hdr-compatible-games
  • I doubt we'll see HDR in the NHL series until the make the switch to Frostbite, if that ever happens.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I dont know. Bought a 4k tv and a PRO, was hoping for some clear difference. But nah, same old.. Hopefully ps5 will bring something new to the table.

Once you load up the PS4, go to your settings, adjust the HDR using the three step "can you see the ps logo" thing, then launch NHL. You will notice a significant difference. NHL wont apply HDR but this is a way to force it.

Edit: it also works if you switch from a game that uses HDR and go into NHL directly while the HDR is still active. You'll notice it instantly just by looking at the brightness in the pink around Matthews
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on
  • Thank you, but gave up my tv for my monitor, I prioritize less lag instead of picture and size. :smile:
  • By me 4k+PRO it is still not HDR...ok little bit different is possible. still look very cartoonish in my opinion. nba2k is HDR I see a huge different.
  • Sound and picture is miles away from being any good. A 'easy' fix and a way to get things to feel really fresh and new, if something happen on this side of the game.

As Mikey mentioned, maybe frostbite would be the solution, or just ps5, but I can take them both!
  • The game is on an old engine that isn't HDR compatible Gonna have to wait till NHL 22 first true year on NEXT GEN CONSOLES
  • NHL 22 will probebly blow my mind, with all the new conditions for great improvement just by taking it to next gen. But that feels long gone with 21 coming up in a couple of months.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    NHL 22 will probebly blow my mind, with all the new conditions for great improvement just by taking it to next gen. But that feels long gone with 21 coming up in a couple of months.

Just like all those great improvements in NHL 15 ;)
  • Hehe, been there done that, shame on EA if they get fool twice.

But seriously, thats why I think it was a good decision to take next train. They will be prepared this time. ✊
  • Doesn't make sense to use HDR in a fast paced sports game. Think about it.
  • The game is on an old engine that isn't HDR compatible Gonna have to wait till NHL 22 first true year on NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Which is strange because the other ea sport titles have had it for a few years.

Makes perfect sense to have it in any game. It’s night and day difference hence why racing games have it too along with every other sports title besides nhl

F1 2020 has HDR capabilities.

And last I checked, driving a car around a track at over 320 Km/h would qualify as "fast". :p
  • Forizeal wrote: »
    The game is on an old engine that isn't HDR compatible Gonna have to wait till NHL 22 first true year on NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The other EA sports titles got HDR when they switched to Frostbite. NHL is still on the old engine.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Forizeal wrote: »
    The game is on an old engine that isn't HDR compatible Gonna have to wait till NHL 22 first true year on NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The other EA sports titles got HDR when they switched to Frostbite. NHL is still on the old engine.

Yes, that's for sure. And also the reason why I will never pay more than $ 20 for a game that does not have HDR. In my opinion, no game without HDR is worth more money.