EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Me VS "the game" rather than Me VS my opponent

Just wondering if the game developers understand the weight of that comparison/statement?

To put it simply, ever since NHL 15 on the PS4/XB1 it feels like the enjoyment that comes from competition against your opponent gets almost completely negated by the feeling that you spend most of your time and energy playing against the game and its poor mechanics.

At this point I don't feel like I need to get into a lot of detail about what happens or why it does. There are and have been plenty of threads over the years that address every single recurring issue this game has had.

Just wondering when's it gonna be enough? Where is the breaking point for all the bulljive? What's it gonna take for this poor gaming model to collapse on itself?

When is the game gonna be fun again?

Replies

• Just don't struggle, my friend - resistance is futile
  • You fight the game and your AI more than the other user in this game, and that’s the most frustrating part. I can handle RNG/bounces as long as I feel that I had a legitimate shot at stopping the chance. That means my my AI weren’t off in LaLa Land with Ryan Reynolds singing songs, they were legitimately covering their assignments (assuming I didn’t pull them out of position, not asking for hand-holding obviously). But 9.5 times out of 10, my AI are off protecting the corner boards and some weird puck pickup RNG allowed an opponent to skate directly at a defender and get rewarded with puck which is what lead to the chance.

Simply not fun, is all I can say.
  • You fight the game and your AI more than the other user in this game, and that’s the most frustrating part. I can handle RNG/bounces as long as I feel that I had a legitimate shot at stopping the chance. That means my my AI weren’t off in LaLa Land with Ryan Reynolds singing songs, they were legitimately covering their assignments (assuming I didn’t pull them out of position, not asking for hand-holding obviously). But 9.5 times out of 10, my AI are off protecting the corner boards and some weird puck pickup RNG allowed an opponent to skate directly at a defender and get rewarded with puck which is what lead to the chance.

Wait, they always tell us that doesn't happen????

Can we please get a decent game someday?
    Remember when NHL was actually fun?
    At base value, this game is a 3/10.
    Please, have someone else make a hockey game.
  • This is the part where somebody from EA will either just ignore this problem and thread altogether, or try to make it into a tech support issue where the end user (person playing the game) is at fault. NO ACCOUNTABILITY for this trash in AT LEAST the six painful years this game has been on the PS4 and XB1.

"It must be your router or your modem" is what you'll hear...bet. Oh, your ISP must be having problems right? You'll hear that one too. In my situation I have BRAND NEW routers, modems, and incoming cable runs and my internet is rock solid (400/20meg) and I know how to use the router and modem. I am quite simply fed up with you (EA) blaming me for your bulljive. How about you fix something for once!!

Wait, they always tell us that doesn't happen????

Can we please get a decent game someday?
    Remember when NHL was actually fun?
    At base value, this game is a 3/10.
    Please, have someone else make a hockey game.

This game is obviously trying to be a delicate balance between realism and arcade, but I just don’t understand how a game that rewards puck carriers for literally sprinting into defenders is is “fun” or “realistic”? Like, that’s just neither lol. That’s not skill and it’s not realistic, that’s just frustrating and awful to watch and it’s the AI’s go-to play offline.

Call old games “arcadey” but I found it much more enjoyable and representative of the sport when defenders couldn’t get walked through by someone literally sprinting because checking from in-close worked and poke check wasn’t a lightsaber that needed to be handled with the utmost precision and caution...

I’m just a “simhead” though lol...
  • EA_Blueberry
    2867 posts EA Community Manager
    This is the part where somebody from EA will either just ignore this problem and thread altogether, or try to make it into a tech support issue where the end user (person playing the game) is at fault. NO ACCOUNTABILITY for this trash in AT LEAST the six painful years this game has been on the PS4 and XB1.

"It must be your router or your modem" is what you'll hear...bet. Oh, your ISP must be having problems right? You'll hear that one too. In my situation I have BRAND NEW routers, modems, and incoming cable runs and my internet is rock solid (400/20meg) and I know how to use the router and modem. I am quite simply fed up with you (EA) blaming me for your bulljive. How about you fix something for once!!

It's hard for us forum Community Managers to relay what needs to be fixed when specific forum threads aren't either linked in here or you don't go into specifics on what game mechanics are causing you to be frustrated. We want you to have a great time when you pick up those stick, every time. Realistically, we're not going to hit the mark for every single hockey fan out there. Maybe one day we will, but we know there are going to be fans that want more realism while there are others that want us to build on top of the newer features you're seeing in the franchise.

Game difficulties/sliders are different in certain game modes, so I suppose it's best to find out which one feels the most "fun" to you. It helps if you let us know what mode you're playing to give us an idea what struggles you're having with under those game conditions.

Let us know what mechanics feel like to you at the moment, what it SHOULD feel like to you, and why you think it's happening the way it currently is.
  • This is the part where somebody from EA will either just ignore this problem and thread altogether, or try to make it into a tech support issue where the end user (person playing the game) is at fault. NO ACCOUNTABILITY for this trash in AT LEAST the six painful years this game has been on the PS4 and XB1.

It's hard for us forum Community Managers to relay what needs to be fixed when specific forum threads aren't either linked in here or you don't go into specifics on what game mechanics are causing you to be frustrated. We want you to have a great time when you pick up those stick, every time. Realistically, we're not going to hit the mark for every single hockey fan out there. Maybe one day we will, but we know there are going to be fans that want more realism while there are others that want us to build on top of the newer features you're seeing in the franchise.

Game difficulties/sliders are different in certain game modes, so I suppose it's best to find out which one feels the most "fun" to you. It helps if you let us know what mode you're playing to give us an idea what struggles you're having with under those game conditions.

Let us know what mechanics feel like to you at the moment, what it SHOULD feel like to you, and why you think it's happening the way it currently is.

The 300 threads about the AI issues dating back to NHL 15 when people like bmh hadn’t given up yet are probably good places to start.

The 300 threads about the AI issues dating back to NHL 15 when people like bmh hadn’t given up yet are probably good places to start.

What this guy said!! Not to mention the other list of passionate fans of the game that have either gotten banned from the forums or just gave up and left altogether because nobody was truly listening.

Search your NHL forums dating back through NHL 15 PS4/XB1 on ice tilt, input delay, and fat-man lag.

Look up topics about players manipulating the internet connection to gain an unfair advantage.

Glitch shots, players that never lose the puck, streamers complaining that it's too hard to score, my 99 overall player getting caught from behind by a 70 overall scrub, goalies standing on their head for one team and then the other one letting in unscreened soft cheese feathers from the blue line. The SAME cheese every year!!

Inability to find a full team against team match in drop-in, player trolling, ridiculous outdoor rinks and stupid clothing items that you'd NEVER see in a real game, hockey bags, laggy menus, stuck in animations that don't allow your controller to work while they are forced to play out first.

The computer "deciding" when and where a goal is going to happen. Getting smacked with one cheese penalty after another until the opponent gets said goal. Player switching algorithm is very poor and seems very ice-tilty. AI skaters just do what they want with no rhyme or reason, skate away from loose pucks in front of them, skate into defenders rather than to open ice to receive passes, loose pucks deflect directly to a teammate in a ping-pong fashion all the time.

And the worst offender by far....microtransactions/pay-to-win model in HUT and HUT getting ALL the love while game-play takes a backseat.

I mean, where do you start with everything?! This was a 10-minute brain-storm for me that didn't require much thinking in order to remember all that feels wrong with the game.

So my advice would be to do a search for conversations that were had over the last five or so years, and realize that pretty much everything is still relevant today, and every year there seems to be more to pile on to the list. NOTHING ever gets resolved or fixed. This game has been more of a chore than a fun game to play ever since they "upgraded" to the new consoles for NHL 15.

NHL 14-Legacy were a BLAST to play on the old hardware and I would rather go back to what we had there than anything that's come out since. It's not that I'm trying to go out of my way to put EA on blast here, but the issues don't get better. They get compounded every year, and everybody plays it off like they have no idea what we are talking about...or are surprised at the uproar.

And not that it's a direct correlation or anything, but I see a laundry list full of problems with EA's other sports titles. Madden 21 is getting hammered as we speak, and it hasn't even been fully released yet.
  • thegarden94
    94 posts Member
    edited August 23
    This is the part where somebody from EA will either just ignore this problem and thread altogether, or try to make it into a tech support issue where the end user (person playing the game) is at fault. NO ACCOUNTABILITY for this trash in AT LEAST the six painful years this game has been on the PS4 and XB1.

What this guy said!! Not to mention the other list of passionate fans of the game that have either gotten banned from the forums or just gave up and left altogether because nobody was truly listening.

Search your NHL forums dating back through NHL 15 PS4/XB1 on ice tilt, input delay, and fat-man lag.

Look up topics about players manipulating the internet connection to gain an unfair advantage.

Glitch shots, players that never lose the puck, streamers complaining that it's too hard to score, my 99 overall player getting caught from behind by a 70 overall scrub, goalies standing on their head for one team and then the other one letting in unscreened soft cheese feathers from the blue line. The SAME cheese every year!!

Inability to find a full team against team match in drop-in, player trolling, ridiculous outdoor rinks and stupid clothing items that you'd NEVER see in a real game, hockey bags, laggy menus, stuck in animations that don't allow your controller to work while they are forced to play out first.

The computer "deciding" when and where a goal is going to happen. Getting smacked with one cheese penalty after another until the opponent gets said goal. Player switching algorithm is very poor and seems very ice-tilty. AI skaters just do what they want with no rhyme or reason, skate away from loose pucks in front of them, skate into defenders rather than to open ice to receive passes, loose pucks deflect directly to a teammate in a ping-pong fashion all the time.

And the worst offender by far....microtransactions/pay-to-win model in HUT and HUT getting ALL the love while game-play takes a backseat.

I mean, where do you start with everything?! This was a 10-minute brain-storm for me that didn't require much thinking in order to remember all that feels wrong with the game.

So my advice would be to do a search for conversations that were had over the last five or so years, and realize that pretty much everything is still relevant today, and every year there seems to be more to pile on to the list. NOTHING ever gets resolved or fixed. This game has been more of a chore than a fun game to play ever since they "upgraded" to the new consoles for NHL 15.

NHL 14-Legacy were a BLAST to play on the old hardware and I would rather go back to what we had there than anything that's come out since. It's not that I'm trying to go out of my way to put EA on blast here, but the issues don't get better. They get compounded every year, and everybody plays it off like they have no idea what we are talking about...or are surprised at the uproar.

And not that it's a direct correlation or anything, but I see a laundry list full of problems with EA's other sports titles. Madden 21 is getting hammered as we speak, and it hasn't even been fully released yet.

Couldn't agree more this series has gone down hill ,with no fixes to any of the glaring issues that have destroyed this game for a few years now
    Post edited by thegarden94 on

Maybe you guys should just stop.

There are many posts, with evidence, of all the garbage in this game that doesn't get fixed. Year after year. All the same bugs, issues and problems. They are never addressed. When they are addressed, it's either half way or you actually fix it, then roll it back. You don't fix the obvious broken foundation, but will add garbage gimmick after garbage gimmick.

And now the Michigan goal.

Just stop.
  • What a joke that these devs have made out of this series doesn't even resemble hockey anymore , and their answer will be to the lacrosse goal being added is "that's what the community wanted " but which community "
  • I had one of those "fighting your own AI players" moments in a HUT Rivals game tonight. I was down two late, but my opponent gave me a 5-on-3 power play. I take the puck from him in the left corner with my LW. I see my RW wide open in the slot for an easy one-timer. I go to make the pass and my center decides to charge up and block my own pass. My opponent gets it and clears it. I couldn't get anything going after that and lose. Further, we both had the same goalie (99 OVR TOTS Markstrom). His Markstrom stood on his head all game, while mine let in two soft goals. I lose 2-0 despite throughly outplaying my opponent (more shots, higher quality shots, far more TOA).