EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21 Update (Microsoft)

Prev13
Saw it on Reddit, Microsoft just sent this out

k9abfxpcw9r0.png

Replies

• Sweet new ways to score! Sure the forums will love that here. :p
    Fast and Fun new modes.....oh boy can't wait for skills competition
    Be A Pro getting more love for the offliners!

• Show Me the Money!
  • GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Sweet new ways to score! Sure the forums will love that here. :p

Pretty predictable imo. My guesses:

New ways to score- lacrosse move, some other dekes

Fast and fun new modes- offline and online, 3 on 3 OT.

Be a Pro- like was rumored, deeper and synchs with online. Improve your player via Be a Pro or WoC then use online. Likely means custom attributes are back (unfortunately). Really don’t like the grind but I’m guessing that’s back
  • Follisimo wrote: »

Be a Pro- like was rumored, deeper and synchs with online. Improve your player via Be a Pro or WoC then use online. Likely means custom attributes are back (unfortunately). Really don’t like the grind but I’m guessing that’s back

Better hope for some of you it's not like NBA's version where you can pretty much 95+ char if you play a bunch. The tears will be rolling here

• GramerProfesur
    549 posts Member
    edited August 2020

Better hope for some of you it's not like NBA's version where you can pretty much 95+ char if you play a bunch. The tears will be rolling here

Wouldn’t play online if that’s the case. I’m good enough to compete with most people but not going to put in 100s of hours to keep up with kids who stay home all day. That’s just dumb

They should just give everyone the same amount of XP points and let us put it into the categories we want. Can’t earn more, but allows for customization
  • Follisimo wrote: »

Wouldn’t play online if that’s the case. I’m good enough to compete with most people but not going to put in 100s of hours to keep up with kids who stay home all day. That’s just dumb

They should just give everyone the same amount of XP points and let us put it into the categories we want. Can’t earn more, but allows for customization

Let's also not forget to start off in NBA you can get a headstart if you pay like $15-25... I can't remember to like instantly increase your character to start. EA loves money and you can bet people would gladly fork it out.

• "All New Ways To Score"........by the time Black Friday rolls around everybody will be scoring the same one or two ways they do every year, short-side cheese and cross-creasers. Everything will be tuned to feel exactly as it does now I'm sure.
  • "All New Ways To Score"........by the time Black Friday rolls around everybody will be scoring the same one or two ways they do every year, short-side cheese and cross-creasers. Everything will be tuned to feel exactly as it does now I'm sure.

it sounds the engine will not upgrade anymore. still the same feel with 1 add 1 cut method every year forever.
    everything is changing...EA is the rock :))))))))))))))))))))
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2020

The problem with NBA 2K20's MyPlayer wasn't "the Grind" per se, but that people can just buy their attribute points with VC coins. I bought the Legendary Edition on day one last year, and I got my player from a 62 to a 75 out of the gate with all the VC that came with that edition of the game. By game 20 of MyCareer, I was already a legend on my team. Granted, it was the SA Spurs, but still... :p

The other problem is that you can sort of cheat the system by playing like 2 min quarter games and get the same amount of XP as if you would've played full 12 minute quarters. That's dumb.

I'd be ok with the return of the L3 Grind in NHL, but they need to remove the games played as a requisite. No more "Play 350 games" to reach Legend 2 cards. Make reaching each card level about the type of player you want to build. If you are trying to build a Playmaking forward, then have his milestones be the amount of passes he makes, his pass %, how many assists he racks up, etc. If you're building an Defensive Defensemen, make his milestones about how many take-aways he gets, how many blocked shots.

Same with Goalie builds, make it about how many saves they make, the GAA and SV% they can maintain.

No more "Games played" milestones will go a long way into making "the grind" much more enjoyable.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

The problem with NBA 2K20's MyPlayer wasn't "the Grind" per se, but that people can just buy their attribute points with VC coins. I bought the Legendary Edition on day one last year, and I got my player from a 62 to a 75 out of the gate with all the VC that came with that edition of the game. By game 20 of MyCareer, I was already a legend on my team. Granted, it was the SA Spurs, but still... :p

The other problem is that you can sort of cheat the system by playing like 2 min quarter games and get the same amount of XP as if you would've played full 12 minute quarters. That's dumb.

I'd be ok with the return of the L3 Grind in NHL, but they need to remove the games played as a requisite. No more "Play 350 games" to reach Legend 2 cards. Make reaching each card level about the type of player you want to build. If you are trying to build a Playmaking forward, then have his milestones be the amount of passes he makes, his pass %, how many assists he racks up, etc. If you're building an Defensive Defensemen, make his milestones about how many take-aways he gets, how many blocked shots.

Same with Goalie builds, make it about how many saves they make, the GAA and SV% they can maintain.

No more "Games played" milestones will go a long way into making "the grind" much more enjoyable.

Some stats don't track properly so it wouldn't work, although it's an interesting idea.

Eh. Hate that aspect of online gaming. If that’s how it’s going to be I’ll just stick to offline probably. I still say we just give everyone Legend 3 and allow you to choose where to put your attributes.

Having an in game advantage for playing more or better is dumb, especially when the grading system is horrible.

Eh. Hate that aspect of online gaming. If that’s how it’s going to be I’ll just stick to offline probably. I still say we just give everyone Legend 3 and allow you to choose where to put your attributes.

Having an in game advantage for playing more or better is dumb, especially when the grading system is horrible.

Agreed 100%
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

It wouldn't be anything more (or different) than playing offline and rewarding the player for playing correctly. In fact, NBA 2K20 makes you pick a body build, Archetype and then a role, then away you go! If there was no way to boost your attributes other than by playing the game offline (and online) and slowly make your player into a superstar over a longer period than say... two days? Things would be much better.

But because they allow it, much like EA allowed it back in the old gen, then it cheapens the experience.

Think of it this way; If you played Dark Souls, but on day one, you had 1 000 000 souls or rather you could just pick any power and weapon in the game and beat the last boss in 5 minutes, how much "fun" would it be?

Games are supposed to reward the journey, the process. The end results or the "win", if you will, are just a cherry on top. Not everything needs to be INSTANT GRATIFICATION.

The other part these game companies need to figure out quickly is that no one wants to play outside of their skill level. You can't pit the 60 overalls against the 90 overalls. The matchmaking in these online games are atrocious in that respect.
  • I only found this game after the premade builds. I would be excited to edit stats and have a little grind. I don't think it should take a CRAZY long time to max out my guy BUT I think it would be cool if it took a month or so and it could be fun. More customization the better imo. It also might keep people from making new accounts all the time and resetting clubs to get easy wins vs inferior opponents. I like grinding a little I guess. I enjoyed building my guy in 2k and having the option to play my career if my friends weren't on and using that same guy when they were..
  • Yeah if these are the top selling points for this year it’s not looking great.

Feeling the same way about this game as Rask feels about the playoffs.

• Juppo1996 wrote: »
    Yeah if these are the top selling points for this year it’s not looking great.

Feeling the same way about this game as Rask feels about the playoffs.

Hehe im pretty sure we have something more to expect then 'just' new ways to score. This text dosent say that much.

Dear god, show us a trailer this week.. Amen!
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Pity there arent new ways to defend or to make saves..... it's all about scoring always. No one can say this game isn't heavily *Tilted* (ahem!) in favor of offence? Such a shame. But I guess all the kiddies want is to score or win at any cost, and that's how EA rolls.

Because hockey is a kids game, right? Oh, and lets not forget the "flow" of course.
  • I also think thats to early to say... New ways to score sounds better then new ways to defend goals.
  • no it doesn't
  • No, it definitely doesn't