EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21 Worldwide Reveal Discussion Thread

Prev13456713
EA_Blueberry
4415 posts EA Community Manager
edited August 2020
Hey, NHL fans!

Creating this thread to discuss the the worldwide reveal of NHL 21 taking place on Monday, August 24th at 8am PT. Excited to hear your thoughts and reactions.

Replies

• Wonderful news, Mondays not so bad after all.

Will give us a hint of what we have to expect.
  • Yes! Can't wait for NHL 15.6!

Same crappy and glitchy looking gameplay, same crappy animations, same crappy hockey.

Can't wait!!!
  • I want to be excited but that first release of info every year is usually just the marketing bullet points that mean next to nothing. Its the info a few weeks later that means something to me.
  • Yeah you are right I just hope they speed things up beacuse they "after schedule", we'll see.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    I want to be excited but that first release of info every year is usually just the marketing bullet points that mean next to nothing. Its the info a few weeks later that means something to me.

The beta will follow either right after or the week after so getting the news isn't bad.

• from black to white? what is mean????
  • Already super excited for the lacrosse goal. Not.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1664 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    It's easy to pander to the cynical crowd and just say 'copy paste' 'lacrosse goal' 'updated roster'.

I'm optimistic NHL21 will knock it out of the park. There were some solid strides taken in NHL 20 - and I'd like to see more emphasis on putting some weight behind the gameplay with less focus on flashy HUT cards and customizations in Chel.

I'd also like to see multiplayer get some love. Not just in terms of stronger connections with more optimization done to lessen the effect of higher latency connections - but a more friendly U.I. that allows people to connect to the games they want, ie; Lobbies. Any steps taken to mitigate trolls in OTP (goalies acing like clowns, players forcing offsides because they're not getting passes, etc) would be welcome. Not a vote-to-kick system, because it seems we don't want to hurt feelings - but a system where players have some type of recognition next to their gamertag or avatar that shows people voted your were good to play with, thus, encouraging players to be more team friendly in order to get 'badges' next to their name to show off how other people thought their hockey IQ or team play was good enough to get a vote.

It would be nice if in NHL 21, we finally had resolution to those who abuse the LT mechanic - a defensive skill stick that is more forgiving on tripping calls but still has an aura of responsibility, and more emphasis on controlling your player's body positioning.

I'm excited to see how NHL 21 evolves contextual shooting. In NHL 20, it was a great addition but it felt rushed - some scenarios forced you in to shooting animations that make you go.. huh?

How about getting stuck in a shooting animation on a missed one-timer pass.. maybe THIS is the year that gets fixed?

Of course, if we still have A.I. that can't recognize a 2-on-1 or if they're still overzealous in covering up empty positions - then it's all moot, IMO.

But - let's see what's in store.

• It's easy to pander to the cynical crowd and just say 'copy paste' 'lacrosse goal' 'updated roster'.

I'm optimistic NHL21 will knock it out of the park. There were some solid strides taken in NHL 20 - and I'd like to see more emphasis on putting some weight behind the gameplay with less focus on flashy HUT cards and customizations in Chel.

I'd also like to see multiplayer get some love. Not just in terms of stronger connections with more optimization done to lessen the effect of higher latency connections - but a more friendly U.I. that allows people to connect to the games they want, ie; Lobbies. Any steps taken to mitigate trolls in OTP (goalies acing like clowns, players forcing offsides because they're not getting passes, etc) would be welcome. Not a vote-to-kick system, because it seems we don't want to hurt feelings - but a system where players have some type of recognition next to their gamertag or avatar that shows people voted your were good to play with, thus, encouraging players to be more team friendly in order to get 'badges' next to their name to show off how other people thought their hockey IQ or team play was good enough to get a vote.

It would be nice if in NHL 21, we finally had resolution to those who abuse the LT mechanic - a defensive skill stick that is more forgiving on tripping calls but still has an aura of responsibility, and more emphasis on controlling your player's body positioning.

I'm excited to see how NHL 21 evolves contextual shooting. In NHL 20, it was a great addition but it felt rushed - some scenarios forced you in to shooting animations that make you go.. huh?

How about getting stuck in a shooting animation on a missed one-timer pass.. maybe THIS is the year that gets fixed?

Of course, if we still have A.I. that can't recognize a 2-on-1 or if they're still overzealous in covering up empty positions - then it's all moot, IMO.

But - let's see what's in store.

"I'm optimistic they will knock it out of the park"

Proceeds to kick out 6 paragraphs of things not addressed for several years now. Just thought it was funny.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

"I'm optimistic they will knock it out of the park"

Proceeds to kick out 6 paragraphs of things not addressed for several years now. Just thought it was funny.

lmao it's true. Gotta give 'em something to aim for.
  • This will be the final year of NHL on the current gen consoles. As happened before, this will likely be just a final tweak of the existing engine. So more Pond hockey, more stupid street gear, more Fortnite intros. Same game modes with the same settings. Same skating engine, same physics, same graphics. The "Chel bruh" mentality is too entrenched right now for the devs to deviate too much from the existing formula.

I just can't find it in me to be excited anymore. As for the BETA... We all know how that goes.

I will reserve my enthusiasm for the next generation console's version. However little that may be... But you never know.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This will be the final year of NHL on the current gen consoles. As happened before, this will likely be just a final tweak of the existing engine. So more Pond hockey, more stupid street gear, more Fortnite intros. Same game modes with the same settings. Same skating engine, same physics, same graphics. The "Chel bruh" mentality is too entrenched right now for the devs to deviate too much from the existing formula.

I just can't find it in me to be excited anymore. As for the BETA... We all know how that goes.

I will reserve my enthusiasm for the next generation console's version. However little that may be... But you never know.

exactly! I just think who will buy this ??? When the next gene is so close and we know that nothing fundamental will change in the game at all ...
  • I'd also like to see multiplayer get some love. Not just in terms of stronger connections with more optimization done to lessen the effect of higher latency connections - but a more friendly U.I. that allows people to connect to the games they want, ie; Lobbies. Any steps taken to mitigate trolls in OTP (goalies acing like clowns, players forcing offsides because they're not getting passes, etc) would be welcome. Not a vote-to-kick system, because it seems we don't want to hurt feelings - but a system where players have some type of recognition next to their gamertag or avatar that shows people voted your were good to play with, thus, encouraging players to be more team friendly in order to get 'badges' next to their name to show off how other people thought their hockey IQ or team play was good enough to get a vote.

Especially all this. I am also really REALLY hoping crossplay is going to be announced which will help greatly.

I agree about vote to kick, but not because of hurt feelings.
    1) someone could just be having a bad game even though they are trying to do the right things
    2) potential for abuse if a private party comes in and decides they don't like their random teammate
    3) goalies will almost certainly be victimized by this extensively. Even if the outcome is not their fault, for example as a result of suspect goalie mechanics, glitchers or bad defense

I outlined a anti-griefing system more extensively in another post, but I really feel the game should be able to detect the things for which a troll should be booted. Some of them are no brainers and non-ambiguously troll moves.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    3285 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    All I want for 21 is that you are giving a chance to go out and play a game and enjoy your movement on the ice without giving ADHD to the controller.

Good games, we're two equal opponents can settle the score without any anger directed at game mechanics someone can take advantage of.

And of course, peace on earth too...

No really, its gonna be interesting to find out what they have been working on, I think this can be something really good.. We deserve that. 😏
  • Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh! B) [/quote]

Yikes.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    LOL. I hate to always be the pessimistic one about this game, but my expectations are super low. Easy to say just speak with your wallet, but we are hockey fans and this is the only viable hockey game today. EA continues to take advantage of this fact knowing that people will buy their trash year after year with little effort to revolutionize. Bring on NHL 20.5.

9gjYGSk.jpg
  • My expetation is NHL20.2...

Because NHL15 is basic set. NHL20 is only NHL15 clone. nothing more this game is the same as NHL16,NHL17,NHL18,NHL19.

EA has no reason for upgrade this game 11 month before next gen....NHL21 was born last year! I do not believe the team under coronavirus can do it any ugrade if other bigger companies stop production...

So sadly I must say The nhl21 has not any reason to buy still I believe EA will use a great team to repair every bug from motherboard (NHL15) core! If yes, the next year I will buy a "remastered version of NHL21 to next gen 8k"

yes NHL21 can be the best repaired old gen nhl game if nhl16-nhl20 it is not....

• 20 is a God awful game , don't expect 21 to be any better probably be worse