EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21: World of Chel Notes

Replies

• SahioX wrote: »
    I see little to no difference between NHL20 and NHL21, and the slight changes (in WOC) should have been last December patch, not a full price game!

Further more, there still stupid things in the game
    • Don't care much about the names, but why is the Hammerheads and Lions blue and orange on the scoreboard, but their sweater being black and white?
    • Still many cut scene showing the dryer, helicopter, tractor, etc when we do not care about those
    • Bring back full gear for Drop-in, make outdoor more of a Winter Classic/night setting with even lighting, removing the annoying lighting/shadow effect if you intend to keep the outdoor settings. Note that the communities largely prefer the indoor rinks.

I have to disagree and agree! in pond hockey, I don't mind cut scenes and I actually like the motivation to have fun. relax fun and informal cutscenes with tractor. yes!

TO producer:
    But... In nhl there are all cutscenes that are not directly related to denim on ice for difficulty! Unfortunately, it will bring down the whole level of the nhl competition a lot, even though it is just a game, so it suddenly looks exactly like pond hockey!
    Why???
    The animation of the spectator's reaction with the masks is absolutely desperate!
    I would definitely re-evaluate as an EA producer what is a really good cutscene and what is a bad and badly done cutscene in the NHL franchise....
    And I would throw all these cutscenes out of the nhl modes game and replace them with another replay from the game! I think it's really desperate and nothing better than despair.
  • Literally. I cannot fathom how anyone in that studio plays this game - has someone pause the game after a whistle so they can change whatever settings they forgot to change forcing 11 other people to sit there and wait while a 30 second clock ticks down - and think.. "yea.. this is fine"

30 seconds doesn't sound like a lot - but it literally happens, every. single. game.

OK but... so many scenarios where this is useful. Not the least of which, the 30s inter-period break is not QUITE enough time for everyone to take that much needed "bio break"... it's worth the annoyance IMO. Cause do you know what else is annoying? Getting scored on cause your goalie didn't make it back in time, or losing an important faceoff cause your center had to let his dog out to pee...
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Matchmaking for drop-ins is still atrocious (ie same as 19 and 20) it really feels like 20, with a couple of bells and whistles added.. which is disappointing, but not surprising... im holding off this year, hopefully 22 allot if the extra modes are stripped out of the game, as well as unlockables be streamline better.. I don't care about opening hockey bags only to find out that 90% of the items in hockey bags are either music or sound effects... like I said I'm gonna be optimistic that 22 is where nhl 14 left off...
  • Matchmaking for drop-ins is still atrocious (ie same as 19 and 20) it really feels like 20, with a couple of bells and whistles added.. which is disappointing, but not surprising... im holding off this year, hopefully 22 allot if the extra modes are stripped out of the game, as well as unlockables be streamline better.. I don't care about opening hockey bags only to find out that 90% of the items in hockey bags are either music or sound effects... like I said I'm gonna be optimistic that 22 is where nhl 14 left off...

yes. this decade of EA sports history is very dark.

the whole EA sports team should be disbanded and replaced by those who are really interested in creating a fun hockey game. If the fun is based on the fact that I know in advance how each situation on the ice will turn out ??? Then it's a theater, not a sport. sports game should, above all, very closely resemble TV broadcasts. today's sport is fun and a show, but in no case is it predictable otherwise it would not entertain anyone ... Unfortunately, this team of EA sports developers has exhausted all their possibilities and should lower his head and leave. Thanks EA
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    in no case is it predictable otherwise it would not entertain anyone ...
    Pro wrestling says hi LOL
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    Matchmaking for drop-ins is still atrocious (ie same as 19 and 20) it really feels like 20, with a couple of bells and whistles added.. which is disappointing, but not surprising... im holding off this year, hopefully 22 allot if the extra modes are stripped out of the game, as well as unlockables be streamline better.. I don't care about opening hockey bags only to find out that 90% of the items in hockey bags are either music or sound effects... like I said I'm gonna be optimistic that 22 is where nhl 14 left off...

the whole EA sports team should be disbanded and replaced by those who are really interested in creating a fun hockey game. If the fun is based on the fact that I know in advance how each situation on the ice will turn out ??? Then it's a theater, not a sport. sports game should, above all, very closely resemble TV broadcasts. today's sport is fun and a show, but in no case is it predictable otherwise it would not entertain anyone ... Unfortunately, this team of EA sports developers has exhausted all their possibilities and should lower his head and leave. Thanks EA

I don't think its the developers. If you look at the posts/interviews etc. of the dev teams across all the easports franchises they all seem passionate and intelligent. I think the problem is the annual cycle and the execs who are above the devs. Hence the clear focus on the card game teams, it makes financial sense.

All of the franchises are having the exact same complaints, this is a systematic leadership issue at levels higher than the dev teams and EA$ports only speaks one language. If people keep buying the game and paying for hut packs then management doesn't give a flying fig about the criticism. They don't care how many mean messages you write on the money as long as it can be deposited.

Once the profits match the criticisms EA will give better support to the devs for a better game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2
    Matchmaking for drop-ins is still atrocious (ie same as 19 and 20) it really feels like 20, with a couple of bells and whistles added.. which is disappointing, but not surprising... im holding off this year, hopefully 22 allot if the extra modes are stripped out of the game, as well as unlockables be streamline better.. I don't care about opening hockey bags only to find out that 90% of the items in hockey bags are either music or sound effects... like I said I'm gonna be optimistic that 22 is where nhl 14 left off...

Pretty much this.

There's really no reason to buy this years game. It's just more of the same. If you liked last year's game, NHL 21 will tied you over until the next gen version comes out. If you hated EA's NHL all these past years, hard pass. Your wallet will thank you.

• jrago73 wrote: »
    Oslik1000 wrote: »

I don't think its the developers. If you look at the posts/interviews etc. of the dev teams across all the easports franchises they all seem passionate and intelligent. I think the problem is the annual cycle and the execs who are above the devs. Hence the clear focus on the card game teams, it makes financial sense.

All of the franchises are having the exact same complaints, this is a systematic leadership issue at levels higher than the dev teams and EA$ports only speaks one language. If people keep buying the game and paying for hut packs then management doesn't give a flying fig about the criticism. They don't care how many mean messages you write on the money as long as it can be deposited.

Once the profits match the criticisms EA will give better support to the devs for a better game.

right

I have nothing against this team, but just as well as a customer I cannot agree to the constant excavation of corpses. take one thing and here endlessly adjust and tune according to me is not the solution. And you can see on this team that there is nothing more that can be done. With each new year we always see something extra, but in reality it is just a change of font type (don't take it literally) and the text remains the same or some letters fall out of it ... It is a circle from which it is visibly impossible to get out and at the same time you will never make a simple line from the circle until you disconnect it!
  • Hello everyone, I am a new poster but have played the NHL series, every year, since it's infancy. It seems to me that we get the same re-hashed game every year. I personally play CHEL/WoC/whatever exclusively with a lifelong friend, so I wanted to post my comments here on where the game mode once was, and seems to be heading.

1) From a social perspective, it was great when there were lobbies and people could form/join games, chat, recruit/tryout individuals for club play, etc. Why was this ever removed? Now people have to go to reddit, some group on Xbox Live, or elsewhere to connect with others and it's not even real-time. In the game now, you throw yourself in a queue to connect with random people and hope the guy(s) you landed with knows how to play, and then you can become friends and take it from there. Should there still be an automated syncing/matchmaking system for people? Sure. But removing the lobby didn't seem to make sense, as it was always active in my times using it and was a good tool for connecting with like-minded players and help build up people to join with for club or pick up games.

2) I did not know of this random survey out there in regards to player builds, so having something in-game that hits all players in one form or another would be ideal. You can chalk me up under the "NHL 14" player attribute customization option, if I had to pick. The NHL 14 system was simple. You "level" or "progress" your player, unlock points to put in attributes that make your skater/goalie unique. Your size, your attributes, and your player type all helped everyone obtain an identify for their player. If I am a center I can elect to throw points in faceoffs to help give me an edge. The current system is the equivalent of everyone picking cookie cutter builds, especially in 3s - rock paper scissor on faceoffs since all types have 85, and hope for the best. It seems to me that they removed a system that offered the most flexibility and customization, and implemented the current system where you can see who on the opposition has selected what traits so you know how to counter it. I shouldn't know that Timmy (who happens to have a racist skater name by the way) has wrist shot accuracy, acceleration, and marathon man as well as being 5'7 169 pounds. Please revert back to the more preferred option. You can poll 5,000 or 50,000, and rest assured you'll find more in favor of the past then the present. That I can promise you.

3) Practice mode is back - why did it even go away to begin with? Being able to work on plays with teammates, especially new ones should always be encouraged. Big overlook on not allowing defense for team open skate, no? I suppose this is better than nothing, so thank you. There is still room for improvement.

4) Auto penalty shots in 3s - why? You had it right when NHL 20 first came out where it resulted in a 4v3 powerplay. Suddenly, a change which doesn't make sense and does not happen in overtime 3v3 hockey in the NHL.

5) Gimmick dancing/showboating before puck drop. What on earth is this about? Why not revert back to the pre-game team line up outside the locker room waiting to skate on to the ice together as the lights come on? While you're at it, bring back the 3 stars of the game celebration. 2 nice cosmetic additions to the NHL series was removed for me to watch a guy do chin ups on a stick floating in mid air? Can we please put the arcade-esque touches in other components of the game?

6) The whole hockey bag opening ordeal sounded really good on paper, but really poops the bed in practice. Well over 700 club games played in 2 years of this hockey bag opening experiment, and have yet to get lucky enough to land a simple away jersey for my desired NHL team. Unlucky? Absolutely, but let's not pretend that opening a bag to get 99% of stuff you don't give a rats patoot about is exciting or cutting edge. This goes for club and skater bags. Let equipment and options unlock as you progress. Don't lock it behind RNG and bag openings. If you're going to keep us opening bags, make an open all button please. We can then sift through all the garbage we unlocked in one shot after they've all been opened. Should a home and away jersey for an NHL team not be unlocked by default? Let special jerseys and alternate league jerseys be unlocked with bags or player/club progression.

7) Scoreboard overlay - the obvious issue here with placement. Another one of those "why" questions?

Perhaps I am getting old, whatever. It just seems like the game is becoming a bit "arcade" like overall. And that is fine if EA feels that is the direction they want to go. I am a long-time consumer just posting my 2 cents after the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars I've thrown at them for nearly 30 years. I've always enjoyed firing up my Xbox, looking forward to a somewhat real/authentic hockey experience (at least to some extent), and have found less and less of that over the last 6 years in particular. There could come a point where we all start to voice our displeasure with our wallets in lieu of posting on a forum. Lots of feedback has been offered here based on what I've read, most of which is good. Please start seriously listening instead of throwing out the same game with a new skin and some shortcuts to get to a particular mode/menu faster. Thanks for reading.
  • I know this is a tech test, but I haven't had one, single game where I've had a "good" connection. The last several have even been in the red. I rarely get these in NHL 20. I'm sure it's just the test itself, but having a connection in the red is pretty much unplayable. It's almost impossible as a D-man in 3's.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I know this is a tech test, but I haven't had one, single game where I've had a "good" connection. The last several have even been in the red. I rarely get these in NHL 20. I'm sure it's just the test itself, but having a connection in the red is pretty much unplayable. It's almost impossible as a D-man in 3's.

It was a slow day at work (from home) today, so I started up the Test this morning and tried to find a game. In the 4 hours I searched, I found 4 games of Ones Eliminator (the 1st one I had to abandon the tourney because I couldn't find anyone in Round 2 for over 45 minutes... Yeah, it was a REALLY slow day today). I went back to VS, I found 3 games in 30 minutes, 2 of which were Yellow/Red bar connections and one of them I had to back out of because I finally got a call while playing. LOL!

In the final 2 hours and a half, I searched for 6s or 3s drop-ins... NOT. ONE. SINGLE. FULL. ROOM. AVAILABLE.

The best I ever found was a room with 5 players on our side (2 d-men, 2 wingers and me) and 5 players on the opponents side (3 forwards, 2 d-men, no goalie) which I backed out of with 10 seconds left.

It was even worse in 3s where I never found anyone trying to play Goalie (except for myself). Wonder what that says about the state of the Goalies in this game. :neutral:
  • I know I wrote it on the NHL 21 Technical Test topic on EA's site, but I'll write it here too. It's some changes that would (in my opinion) make NHL 21 more than a NHL 20 tuner.

DEFENSIVE TOOLS:
    - pressing R1 would only release the stick without poke checking, and way slower than now.
    - maintaining R1 to play with the defensive stick, and make it slower so it can be more accurate
    - to poke check, press R3 only.

EA gave the offensive players a lot of tools, now it's time to make the defensive side better. I've been playing defense for years now and it needs more love.

MANAGING TRIPPINGS

- a real tripping when the stick gets perpendicular with the other player's legs, or really deep in his legs when it's from the front/back. No more tripping when touching lightly his skates

- stop the penalty when the puck carrier makes a pass and then skates in the defensive player (without the puck) laying on ice (to block pass) or kneeling (to block the shot)

PRACTICE MODE (free skating):

- let us call the puck when the goalie has it so we can continue to play without him freezing it

- add scenarios like X AI vs X human so we can practice offensive or defensive plays

- add the option to play humans against humans from the same team. For example, I play defense and two of my teamates play offense (2 vs 1).

OVERALL THINGS:

- Why play outside rinks in EASHL ? I would do small arenas to pro arenas depending on the division/ranking of the team.

- the new move along the board should throw the puck less far

- add GM connected please haha

- let us skip replays at the end of periods

Thanks for reading !
  • @NHL_ONL_Producer Questions about the pulled goalie extra skater.
    1.) Will it use our build we have saved in slot 1 or some preset? If not....
    2.) Is the extra attacker already right handed and what type are they?

• Follisimo wrote: »
    @NHL_ONL_Producer Questions about the pulled goalie extra skater.

The only human extra attackers I've seen were left handed
  • EA_Blueberry
    3127 posts EA Community Manager
    CoachBewk wrote: »
    So is there a dedicated thread to discussing the beta? If there is can someone direct me to it.

Here is the link. You will only have access to this forum from the EA account you have the Technical Test on.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/NHL-21-Technical-Test/ct-p/nhl-21-beta-en

There is also a survey at the top of the General Discussion boards where the NHL team is surveying the community on their Technical Test experience. Takes less than 5 minutes to complete. We are thankful if you're able to do it.
  • Follisimo
    1003 posts Member
    edited September 5
    Follisimo wrote: »

Interesting. Every time I pull my goalie he's right handed. My goalie I have catching with his left. Even both my created skaters shoot with their left.

Interesting. Every time I pull my goalie he's right handed. My goalie I have catching with his left. Even both my created skaters shoot with their left.
    Would be nice if it could be set in goalie's settings.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Would be nice if it could be set in goalie's settings.

I'm hoping it would take our 1st slot skater and use that build. If it uses some weird default or something that isn't as helpful.

1) as it stands right now, no
    2) I think the handedness is random (which is bad): but EA has confirmed on Answers HQ that that it’s a TWF
  • Maybe you simply take control of the sixth AI player that normally comes on ice in previous versions, whoever that is? I havent paid much attention, since it's so rare. What's the name on the back of the sixth player, is it the goalie's name?