EA Forums - Banner

EA - Fix your stick lifting spam

Prev1
SturmWolfe
191 posts Member
edited August 2020
You guys applied more penalties for those who abused poke checking spam a few years ago. Why hasn't stick lift also been adjusted?

Literally every single game when you play anyone Div 3 or higher. They spam stick lift as soon as they lose puck possession.

It's incredibly easy to get goals behind the net. All you have to do is skate facing the boards and stick lift your way around because pressing up against the boards is ineffective.

So all players have to do is protect the puck, skate against the boards, spam stick lift, and pass when their player is ready for a 1T.

If their 1T doesn't work. All they do is spam stick lift even more infront of the net to gain puck possession again. With little to no consequence of a penalty.

I don't buy these games for it to be a glorified A button jammer for people who can't effectively check or play defense.

Replies

• thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    You guys applied more penalties for those who abused poke checking spam a few years ago. Why hasn't stick lift also been adjusted?

Literally every single game when you play anyone Div 3 or higher. They spam stick lift as soon as they lose puck possession.

It's incredibly easy to get goals behind the net. All you have to do is skate facing the boards and stick lift your way around because pressing up against the boards is ineffective.

So all players have to do is protect the puck, skate against the boards, spam stick lift, and pass when their player is ready for a 1T.

If their 1T doesn't work. All they do is spam stick lift even more infront of the net to gain puck possession again. With little to no consequence of a penalty.

I don't buy these games for it to be a glorified A button jammer for people who can't effectively check or play defense.

Thank u for this post , unbelievable how you can get a successful stick lift from impossible angles and not get a penalty ,D3 to D1 is a nightmare to play and hut champs well it's even worse
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »

Thank u for this post , unbelievable how you can get a successful stick lift from impossible angles and not get a penalty ,D3 to D1 is a nightmare to play and hut champs well it's even worse

Ive been stick lifted THROUGH my body by A.I. and yet when i stick lift ive literally watched my stick go THROUGH theirs. But yeah its really annoying , and at the same time weve got very limited defensive tools that work so i think some people obviously just go with the META. Doesnt make it right though.
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »

Ive been stick lifted THROUGH my body by A.I. and yet when i stick lift ive literally watched my stick go THROUGH theirs. But yeah its really annoying , and at the same time weve got very limited defensive tools that work so i think some people obviously just go with the META. Doesnt make it right though.

My opinion the offense is way op ,I mean how many times do you poke at the puck and the puck carry still has control ,or even after a good hit the puck still manages going to an offensive player

My opinion the offense is way op ,I mean how many times do you poke at the puck and the puck carry still has control ,or even after a good hit the puck still manages going to an offensive player

Thats like 99 percent of players opinion it seems but they go with the 1 percent that advertise for them on their streams. Monetization over quality will kill gaming and its already started.
  • protect the puck is absolutely wrong idea at this game from beginning. protect the puck in real hockey does not exists more than 2 seconds. more time for this is only EA myth.

I understand that EA hockey is not trying to be a simulation, but this is meant to be ridiculous. and everyone who has played hockey before has been laughing at it for several years.

EA does not understand that protect puck is effective only when playing 1 versus 1. It is not physically possible to watch two opponents and still watch the puck! It's at the level of special skills and not every player can! 99% of the attacker will not get involved. And 80% of the defender prefers to throw the puck on the guardrail. Until EA puts it among the special keys, it will never be a little realistic and it makes the player a limited individual.

Exactly that. Players go with what they're given. If a certain META doesn't work anymore. They go on to the next form.

I don't understand what would have went through EA's thought process by nerfing one exploit and then not considering stick lift was just as bad.

I don't care if the game is a realistic simulator. I care that the game has consistency and you can defend offense just as effectively as playing offense against defense.

We get tons of offensive animations to get passed defensive players. Yet, defense has been stuck with the same body, stick, poke, and press.
  • https://m.twitch.tv/videos/736735275

Here's a perfect video example.

24zaapdcoe1p.jpg
    8e0e2h329kj3.jpg
    v2oni5fsed4a.jpg

Three players to take on a 95 Lemieux. They're body checking him, poke checking, and stick lifting.
    My 99 Wayne Gretzky and 98 Samuel Girard can't get one player off the puck.

What does he do? Spams stick lift to maintain puck possession.
    https://m.twitch.tv/videos/736735275

24zaapdcoe1p.jpg
    8e0e2h329kj3.jpg
    v2oni5fsed4a.jpg

Three players to take on a 95 Lemieux. They're body checking him, poke checking, and stick lifting.

Its way op ,you don't even have to be in a good position to get a stick lift ,and you can spam like crazy and hardly get a penalty
  • Stick lift is a defensive tool so if you want it to be more hard to get the puck - "fix it".
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Stick lift is a defensive tool so if you want it to be more hard to get the puck - "fix it".

Of course it is but as it stands now you can be successful by just spamming it like a crazed idiot from almost impossible angles and not get a penalty ..in D1 that's all you see
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Stick lift is a defensive tool so if you want it to be more hard to get the puck - "fix it".

You're not understanding what I said.
    Fixing or balancing game mechanics won't make it harder for you to play defense.

Players complained about poke check in previous years being abused and it was adjusted in NHL 18.

The same problem with stick lift has not been dealt with accordingly.

Puck battles in front of the net or near the boards shouldn't end up with players jamming the A button without drawing a penalty.

Waiting for the right time and angle is everything about playing proper defense. Even when body checking.

I like to play a fair game. Not spam stick lift 4 times hoping for a different outcome with no consequence.

• [quote="SturmWolfe;c-2154385"][quote="Sega82mega;c-2154205"]Stick lift is a defensive tool so if you want it to be more hard to get the puck - "fix it". [/quote]

You're not understanding what I said.
    Fixing or balancing game mechanics won't make it harder for you to play defense.

Players complained about poke check in previous years being abused and it was adjusted in NHL 18.

The same problem with stick lift has not been dealt with accordingly.

Puck battles in front of the net or near the boards shouldn't end up with players jamming the A button without drawing a penalty.

Waiting for the right time and angle is everything about playing proper defense. Even when body checking.

I like to play a fair game. Not spam stick lift 4 times hoping for a different outcome with no consequence.

[/quote]

Quoted for truth. Couldnt agree more sir.
  • Speaking of net battle's those also get abused by creating pick play or tying up one of the d men on the point these are penalties
  • Sega82mega
    3283 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Of course it is but as it stands now you can be successful by just spamming it like a crazed idiot from almost impossible angles and not get a penalty ..in D1 that's all you see

Just sayin. I dont like spamming of any sort, but people already thinks it's to much poke penalties, so it's usally a unpopular opinion here on this forum to ask for defensive tools to be nerfed in other words - be less effective.

I would like if stick lifts was involved in the game much more, I barely stick lift anyone and im almost never get stick lifted.

*I do think if two equal players match up and both of them have the exact same playstyle(like almost everyone have in this game), soner or later they will collide on the same spot on ice, when there's no more room left. I imagine the spamming starts there.
  • The real problem here isn't necessarily stick lifting. But rather the lack of any other effective tools for the defense to use and body checking is useless on the default settings so as a defender you are SOL if you ever want to have any type of advantage. Or to be rewarded for good fundamental positional hockey. But thank goodness we can add more offensive weapons to help the WGC next summer! As if watching that mess of a competition isn't already infuriating enough. But that's for another discussion.

To recap the real issue is that the offense has a bigger set of tools than the defense and the game isn't balanced enough. Not so much that stick lifts are effective. It kind of needs to be effective for the defense to have any chance at making plays. And that's a major gameplay issue that's gone ignored, as has the lack of focus on the glaring goaltending issues.

I'm willing to be critical of this game at times but I still find enjoyment out of playing it. But it's far from perfect.
  • The real problem here isn't necessarily stick lifting. But rather the lack of any other effective tools for the defense to use and body checking is useless on the default settings so as a defender you are SOL if you ever want to have any type of advantage. Or to be rewarded for good fundamental positional hockey. But thank goodness we can add more offensive weapons to help the WGC next summer! As if watching that mess of a competition isn't already infuriating enough. But that's for another discussion.

To recap the real issue is that the offense has a bigger set of tools than the defense and the game isn't balanced enough. Not so much that stick lifts are effective. It kind of needs to be effective for the defense to have any chance at making plays. And that's a major gameplay issue that's gone ignored, as has the lack of focus on the glaring goaltending issues.

I'm willing to be critical of this game at times but I still find enjoyment out of playing it. But it's far from perfect.

This guy is my spirit animal
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Actually the stick lifting is op for the offense not the defense ,if you spam stick lift on D your likely to get a penalty more if than you did it on offense , everything for the D seems nerfed ,I'm speaking of HUT ...and as for playing this game I enjoy it for about 2 games

24zaapdcoe1p.jpg
    8e0e2h329kj3.jpg
    v2oni5fsed4a.jpg

Its way op ,you don't even have to be in a good position to get a stick lift ,and you can spam like crazy and hardly get a penalty

This is so ridiculous I would post a clip but I don't think it would be much help

24zaapdcoe1p.jpg
    8e0e2h329kj3.jpg
    v2oni5fsed4a.jpg

This is so ridiculous I would post a clip but I don't think it would be much help

Please do post footage. I made this thread to point out the obvious parts of the game that require fixing and / or balancing. It does help.

24zaapdcoe1p.jpg
    8e0e2h329kj3.jpg
    v2oni5fsed4a.jpg

Please do post footage. I made this thread to point out the obvious parts of the game that require fixing and / or balancing. It does help.

You know Wolf someone posted a clip something a little similar in another another thread and like always they made it seem like he did something wrong ,it's frustrating enough to play this game and seeing and having to play thru all the exploits but then post something and then being told nah the game is good it's you that's the problem , it's even more frustrating , that's why I don't post anything